Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary and I let my fitbit handle the burn from steps. I do not log anything else I do in my day as exercise, unless it's a specific, dedicated activity, like water jogging, for example. People log a burn rate from cooking? Seriously?
  • Agathokakological
    Agathokakological Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I do not log daily/weekly cleaning, as those are things I always do. I did spend 4 hours yesterday deep cleaning and moving furniture in the guest room and the living room, some of it involving moving pieces up the stairs. So I tracked 30 minutes of moving furniture. I would never track the whole 4 hours since most of it was just cleaning and organizing, but the furniture moving was difficult and I worked up a sweat doing it, so I feel that it should count as exercise.

It all comes down to common sense really. If you're doing something out of the ordinary for you and it feels like a work out, then track it if you really feel you should, not because you want more calories to eat.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    I'm set to sedentary and I let my fitbit handle the burn from steps. I do not log anything else I do in my day as exercise, unless it's a specific, dedicated activity, like water jogging, for example. People log a burn rate from cooking? Seriously?

Those bags of precooked chicken, frozen vegetables, and marinara sauce don't just assemble themselves you know
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options

Those bags of precooked chicken, frozen vegetables, and marinara sauce don't just assemble themselves you know

I LOL!
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    Never log household chores or gardening. I see it as my daily activity

However when things go crazy ( like we moved in March) And i was dragging rocks and stones half a day. Breaking down walls...i did log some for it. And ate some back of it plus i upped my daily calories with 150. This because i was sooooo hungry and my body needed the food.
    lol lost 8 pounds in 2 weeks.

But normally nope.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

Indeedy :laugh:

I would love to take a peek at the people who log cooking as exercise... Unless you're doing jumping jacks while your chopping your veggies, and cartwheeling from one side of the kitchen to the other, I just no understando :noway:

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

I never have (!) but if I were minded to, I could see burning more while prepping for dinner parties, holiday things, etc. Mostly because I tend to leave everything to the last minute so it's a mad rush of shopping and chopping
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Well this got weird.

Maybe it's the calorie deprivation ... Makes people angry and ready to fight. :smiley:
  • Pcarsley
    Pcarsley Posts: 13 Member
    Options

I would love to take a peek at the people who log cooking as exercise... Unless you're doing jumping jacks while your chopping your veggies, and cartwheeling from one side of the kitchen to the other, I just no understando :noway:

I don't remember anyone mentioning cooking as counting toward calorie burn!!! Not really helpful to add fiction.
    There's the odd useful comment here but 3 pages of self righteous drivel. Not sure I'll bother asking another question, maybe just ask a real expert instead.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Pcarsley wrote: »

I don't remember anyone mentioning cooking as counting toward calorie burn!!! Not really helpful to add fiction.
    There's the odd useful comment here but 3 pages of self righteous drivel. Not sure I'll bother asking another question, maybe just ask a real expert instead.

You posted a comment in a discussion forum and a wild discussion broke out? I am shocked. Not sure what you wanted from this place, but real experts generally charge.

The type of people who log cleaning tend to also log cooking and gardening. So I think it's relevant.

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »
    People who log things like housework and cooking as extra calorie-burning exercise are only fooling themselves, IMO.

Your body isn't fooled though.

This is exactly how I feel. Because we've moved offices and the layout of the new place has longer halls and I have further to tread from my office to my boss's office, and because the walk is longer from my office at one end and the mail room at the other end, I could certainly log all those walks as extra if I want to fool myself into thinking it will matter.

It makes no difference whatsoever because I generally move a lot anyway. I only include my cardio, though I have once included strenuous yard work because it is not something I normally do. I cut those exercise calories drastically by NOT logging the 400 something for two hours of gardening and only counted 100 calories. It's not something I would normally do, though.

I also don't log calorie for non-cardio exercise, such as weight lifting.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't log cleaning, but some people do. Some people log every single thing. I had one MFP friend who logged sleeping. He was trying to figure out exactly how many calories she was burning through the day and night, so she logged every single thing.

It's an individual choice.

I only log swimming and walking/running that I do to work my body. If I'm hanging out in the mall, it isn't logged. If I go to an amusement park and spend a lot of time standing around to ride rides, no logging. If I go there just to walk for my daily walk and that's all I do, I log it.

I'm only keeping track of exercise I do for the purpose of exercising. If you want to keep track of other stuff, have at it! It's your diary. You make the rules.
  • Bhlinebee
    Bhlinebee Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Caitwn wrote: »
    Bhlinebee wrote: »
    Well this got weird.

Maybe it's the calorie deprivation ... Makes people angry and ready to fight. :smiley:

I'm not angry, but I do confess to taking a minute to see if I could find an old youtube of Julia Child dancing with a raw chicken =P

Now that would have been awesome!
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    ... and folks wonder why they "can't" lose weight.

• Christine_72
    edited July 2015
    Options

Ummm you might want to go back and re-read the thread... Logging calories for cooking and cleaning was mentioned quite few time, hence why I brought it up ;)

... Or am I hallucinating??

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options

Ummm you might want to go back and re-read the thread... Logging calories for cooking and cleaning was mentioned quite few time, hence why I brought it up ;)

And actually I have seen this on my fl. Cooking, cleaning, food prep, driving
  • Christine_72
    Options

And actually I have seen this on my fl. Cooking, cleaning, food prep, driving

Me too :tired_face:

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    ... and folks wonder why they "can't" lose weight.
    Deep down people know, just need to r educate themselves and be ready for a bit of hard work and patience
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    DRIVING?

Oy ve.

I do log super heavy housecleaning, and sometimes heavy gardening. I do the composting for 23 families at my community garden--it's super heavy work. DRIVING though? Nope, nope, nope!