WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    @Michele in NC - wrote "janetr - hope you get in the pool. I really don't like when it's too warm and it's just so frustrating when you start your workout but then have to get out of the pool for a storm. Hope this doesn't happen to you. Later: so sorry the pool is still way too hot. That isn't fun at all, you can't get nearly a decent workout."

Thank, I hope its open, don't think they'll close cuz of the rain. There is no lightening with this storm. They kept the pool closed today, they won't open it again until they get it fixed. I did on hour on the stationary bike and some upper body strength exercises with the resistance band.
  • tuliplor
    tuliplor Posts: 51 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Had a great day today!! I had to work and everyone went to the food court and ate Chick-fil-a, and Chinese, and other foods. I went to Sbarro and had a tomato and cucumber salad and a fruit bowl. It was really good. Everyone said, " Look at you eating healthy!" I usually have a big ole bowl of Chinese food. I made an quiche tonight. I think that if I prepare foods ahead of time, it will help! Thanks for all the encouragement!! You ladies are great!!
    Terri-mom...I wish you were here!! I have eggs coming out of my ears!! My dad is a farmer and gets fresh eggs all the time!!!
  • GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,643 Member
    Options
    I got my new iphone today – so from a flip phone to an iphone in one leap…and there is a ton to learn… and they could not transfer my contacts, and then I screwed up and deleted a bunch of them off my old phone without transferring them…. Grrrrrr……so much of our life is on our electronic devices!

Katla – I thought saddle sores were on the horse not the human until you got them…LOL you learn the darnest things on this forum!

Carol – I agree 100% with you on making your daughter toe the line, I just wish there was a way to not make it so hard on you! So as some have figured out I am not particularly convinced that church is the way to go, and your experience re-enforces that! But I will say just ‘cause they are over 70 don’t eliminate them from your group of helpers… my mom at 86 has been cooking dinner for 100 football players once a season as her volunteer job. Your bra size does put limits on the choices… Wish I could be there to cook and drive you places!

Heather – what a great pic! You are stunning.

Welcome Kimberly

Pip – love the vacation photos!!!

Katiebug - I don’t have deer but snails and slugs that mow the hostas down overnight…I just stopped planting them

Janetr – I am so glad you did not behave as I missed it when I read it the first time… so had a great laugh the second time… Wonder if that burns extra calories!

Michele- your plank holding is amazing, I am doing a modified one (elbows and knees) and can only make 60 seconds…. And I am barely making that!

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 4
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – paid off business, and got my first smart phone (iphone5s)

Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    Kim from N. California - I'm sure it burns calories, and hopefully more fun than "walking" up the escalator!! :wink:
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Penny, didn't you say those are 'stinging nettles'? Does your skin actually sting if you touch them??? I wouldn't want them in an arrangement. But they are pretty. And yes, weeds can be beautiful.

DJ, I have tried Grape Nuts before and just did not like them. My husband keeps them around and loves them. But the serving size is so small. To me it just tastes like gritty dirt. No I didn't have a huge bowl to put the cereal in. It was a small bowl that I use to put my 1 cup soup serving in. But i fill it to where it is overflowing. I actually have to physically have my hand over the top to keep them from falling on the floor. But when I am done with that bowl I go to the kitchen and refill it. Does it count that I have to walk back to the kitchen???? :p

Gilly, I am so sorry about your own SIDS baby. Did the parents name their baby in honor of yours? Maybe you need to sit down and have a heart to heart discussion about it that although it was sweet to name it like that that it will cause you to have some heartbreaking memories about your own. When my first girl was born, my husbands brother and wife had one about the same time. She died of SIDS. Talk about hard. We immediately put a small crib in our bedroom and put Christina in it. As she grew, she eventually complained and it seemed best to put her in her own room. Those were before the days before baby monitors.

Sylvia, enjoy your trip. Mount Rushmore is beautiful. You sure will miss those grand kids though. You take care of your own health while you are out there.

Heather, such a lovely picture. You look fabulous! have fun with your friend tomorrow.

Pip, your picture in front of the fountain reminded me of something that happened when the kids were coming here last Friday evening. There were many detours for them due to flooding and construction. So one of the detours took them by the museum where they had a huge statue, in gold, of Michealangelo's David. So there is David in all of his glory in a huge golden statue. So my 13 year old grand daughter immediately diverted her 8 year old sisters attention so she wouldn't see him. I don't believe when I was in school I had seen a picture of a man like that when I was 13. I guess times have changed. Or maybe I was just a very naivve child.

Michele, please refresh my memory, what picture frame????? Old age gets me all the time.

I also had a lot of sinus problems and I passed it along to my children. To this day, if one of us has one, the other ones do also and Christina lives 3 hours away and Michelle and I are together maybe once a week. We all were the same way with our periods when the girls were at home. Poor Charlie, living in a house with 3 females in their period!!! Well I got off track. The girls sometimes liked it all the medical terms my husband and I would talk about. He was a medic in the Navy and then worked as a Pharmacy technician where we met and talking about gross medical stuff was never taboo. So Michelle, the youngest always thought is was cool to tell some one that she had 'chronic sinusitis with acute exacerbation. She always got a lot of sympathy over that one. It just means that your have chronic sinus problems but are having an infection at the present. my sister's husband presently has an ingrown hair with a staph infection in his nose! Ouch!!!! His nose looks awful. Well since last nights strawberry/yogurt concoction was good I did it tonight with Choboni plain yogurt. I think Choboni tastes a little more tart than my regular plain yogurt, I put some stevia in it. The choboni made it creamier. After I mix it up, I put it in the freezer to make it more of an ice cream texture. I am quite proud of my lack of knowledge in the kitchen that I made it. It was some one here who gave me the idea to use frozen fruit and yogurt. I don't put any extra protein powder in it. MFP puts my daily protein at 58 grams.

Welcome to all the new ladies here. We even had a guy pop in here yesterday.I guess he was wondering what a bunch of 50+ women could have to talk about. Or maybe he is into cougars!!!!

Joyce, Indiana
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    Today at work: http://www.therepublic.com/view/story/31eabaeab5584c0796865f7d07c5f385/LA--Darren-Sharper-Co-defendants
    Well, that's the currently visible part. Another story - without my byline, because I wrote it from a news release - will show up early in the morning. And my morning work is unfinished and may not show up for a couple weeks.

I see comments about all sorts of things I missed, and I want to go back and read all those pages, but it's already late. <sigh>

Joyce - good insight about honesty & measuring with measuring cups and spoons.

Lenora - you eat raw rutabaga? I have a hard time dicing it!

Allison - good for you, maintaining with a lot of guests around & while under stress.

Tulip Lori - Lisa's mention of Quest bars reminds me that a variety box of those, and 2 packs of their chips (bbq and cheddar/sour cream) arrived today. I wasn't impressed with the cheddar&sour cream chips - lotta crunch but not much taste - or the strawberry cheesecake bar, which was sticky and didn't have a lot of taste. The box of 12 bars was, if I remember aright, just under $25, plus shipping.
    Huzza for the food court salad and fruit!

Lisa - the Quest chocolate flavors I've tried seemed OK to me. I look forward to trying the ones you like. I was very amused to note that the big box included a set of recipes using bits of their bars as dough.
    Ver cool about the workshop!

Lisa, Cheri and Penny - best of luck breaking the stalls.

Theresa - welcome!

Penny - Purty weeds. Did you wear gloves to pick the nettles?

Heather - the tea dance sounds fun - what a fun photo! - and your yoga teacher's loan is indeed sweet.
    I donno if Stateside scones are the real thing, but what we call scones are sorta individual sweet or savory breads, a bit denser and less flaky than what we call biscuits.

Linda/IA- I'll keep my fingers crossed re rain. Having tried a Zumba class, I'm impresed by anyone who can keep up.

Sylvia - have fun on the road!

Vicki - good job on what's essentially stable weight during a holiday weekend.

Yvonne - happy to meet another Louise Penny lover. How far in the series are you?

Kim - three cheers for "I don’t want to be the favorite, I would like us to be more equal."

Terri - I weighed out 8 oz of cherries tonight. I then took off all the stems, and logged 7 5/8 oz. :)
    Way to go on the exercise bike!

NC Carol - glad you're feeling better.
    The 4 a.m. wake-up cat reminds me of a cartoon I saw decades ago. Cat is bouncing up and down on woman, who's saying something like, "Will you calm down? It's 3 a.m." The caption: "How cats tell time."
    I don't think your comments about your daughter are whiny. They strike me as reasonable.
    I'll look for "Sugar."

KimberlyA - welcome back!

JanetM in NO

• jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    Oh, forgot to mention. The 'computer guys' keep on calling me. Got a call from them today telling me that the computer protection I bought last week, they are going to refund me the money. I just laughed and said and I supposes in order for you to refund me money, which BTW I did not buy anything, you are next going to ask for my banking account routing number. I just told him that I am adding this to the long list that will be reported. He hung up on me!!!!! I wish they would forget about me! Usually it is some odd number but this one was from the town next to us and that's why I picked up the phone.

Joyce, Indiana
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Thanks Heather, you understand, we have such big plans when we are expecting don't we? Then for there to be nothing is such a heartbreak. You look wonderful at the garden party. Love the hat.
    Yvonne - Thanks for the suggestion, I have just ordered the first book in the Louise Penny series and will see if I like it. Love the thought that there are so many more if I do.
    Gilly, Suffolk UK
  • Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Heather – Lovely wisps of hats on both of you in that picture.
    pipcd34 wrote: »
    barbicat-every time we have come here for the last few years, we have walked from the airport to the hotel and walked everywhere always taking the stairs and not the elevator or escalator unless that was all there is and even that, we would wank when we were on on the escalators.
    Oh MY, poopy Pip. I know you claim to be raunchy but that's a bit over the top. smiley-laughing021.gif Or was it a typo...? The Brits will know exactly what I'm talking about, and obviously JanetR does too, and Kim figured it out. If anyone doesn't get it and isn't laughing her butt off, look it up.

Joyce and JanetM — Yes, stinging nettles do sting, but I'm old enough to know where they pack their punch. I got burned a tiny bit when I picked them but the stinging sensation never lasts long. My grandson has been able to spot and name nettles in English and Swedish since he was 2½. I don't know if that's because he's had a bad experience or just because the entire family is so interested in botany. I'm not worried about having the nettles in an arrangement because I'm all alone in the house now. If anybody gets burned it's just going to be me. (Incidentally I'm finding they hold up very well in a vase!)

JanetM — I don't know about Lenora, but I certainly eat raw rutabaga. That's one of my favorites! When my husband snitches stuff from my box of veggies he goes straight for the rutabaga. That said, I've noticed that the rutabaga I get when I'm in the States simply can't compare to the mild, sweet, crisp stuff I get in Scandinavia. Perhaps it's a difference in how fast they grow and at what temperatures.

One of the golden eagles just flew by my house at low altitude, being heckled by a seagull. I'll miss them all when I leave tomorrow. On the other hand, I can look forward to hearing the loons on the lake in New Hampshire!

Last full day at my island paradise. Must make the most of it!

/Penny at the Pole
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    It was a good day! Went to see Zarkana show and then walked along the Strip. v6ietiozlthz.jpg
    mqdfl627g7qu.jpg
    ltmb41j2finl.jpg
    9f86o30k8wxw.jpg
    b3hj8gwxrd49.jpg
  • italy10548
    italy10548 Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    Just checking in from Vegas. It's so late and tomorrow's an early day of dance. Catch up with you all later.

Rosie
  • Gilly139
    Gilly139 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    Yes Penny, it did make me giggle when I read what Poop and Kirby were doing on the escalators :blush:
  • Lagopus
    Options
    Of course it's a good way to burn extra calories...
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,753 Member
    Options
    Morning ladies~
    was in bed for 11 hours and slept most of them.. I was just exsausted...
    took chicken out and will make a rice dish for Tom.. I will need to look up low potassium low phosphorus meal plans as that is what I will be needing to eat from now on :# God Bless my girlfriend in Florida, she is faxing me stuff to use..she is a nurse for Davita down there..
    have my Ipad mini all set up but will need a tutorial as I have never worked with apple products before...
    I love Plain Cheerios, alas they are on the No List.. only cereal I can have is corn flakes or rice krispies, cream of wheat..
    I am living vicariously through Pip and Kirby.. what a loving relationship you have and what fun you are having.. God Bless you both..
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,293 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah for the escalators! You go girl! :laugh:

Thanks for the compliments on my hat. I have never worn a hat, ever, not even to my son's wedding. (Apart from sun hats) So I was a bit dismayed when they said we had to wear one. Didn't want to spend a lot of money on something I'll wear once. I bought that "fascinator" from Amazon for about £5 . I was so pleased with it! The shrug I am wearing was another £5. So not very 'classy' Joyce. :laugh:

I tried on all the yoga teacher's dresses last night and two of them are definite possibilities. :D A long velvet one with embroidery down the front is fabulous, but sleeveless and with a low back. I will look on Amazon for a lace shrug in a toning colour. It is a very deep purple with shot blue/purple flowers. I have a black lace one (£5) so I am hopeful. Another one is the same cut as the one in my photo, but bright flowers. Lovely! All the others were a bit too young for me, but i was pleased to see they all fitted! Yeah! ! ! ! ! Isn't it a great idea to share dresses. I can offer my black and white one in return as a lend.

Expecting my friend very soon. DH is in a bit of a funny mood today. He has never met her and can be nervous around strangers. He was quite off this morning and I lost my temper with him. He broke one of my favourite mugs while he was unloading the dishwasher.. Blamed the granite surfaces. Sometimes I think he is a tiny bit jealous, though he would never admit it. He can be a bit weird about my MFP friends. :ohwell: Must show my genuine appreciation of him. o:)

Ok, got to make some sandwiches to eat quickly before we set off for gorgeous Winchester. Anyone else besides Joyce want to google it? I will give my friend a guided tour round the cathedral. :D Salmon for dinner tonight.

Love Heather in rainy Hampshire UK
    27681614.png
  • lhannon062709
    lhannon062709 Posts: 1,140 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Heather - you look gorgeous in the hat!

I would so love to take my husband over to England and show him around places like Winchester... I was there six years all told, two years in Suffolk in 1979-81 (at Lakenheath RAFB, which is where I met and married my ex-husband) and was there at Greenham Common RAFB when they shut it down under the Intermediate-range Nuclear Forces Treaty in 1991. I worked in the base library, which backed on the fence where the Peace Women would hang out their laundry that they did by hand. Had to drive past their camp at the main gate every morning to get to work. Interesting time, that.

Penny - enjoy your last day in paradise! And as far as getting 140-150g of protein, of the 1400 calories I get, that means that 560-600 of them have to be protein, and all it really does is push me over to lean meats and high-protein sources like Quest bars, dairy things. Most high-fat stuff simply doesn't have enough protein to get in the amount I need without blowing my calorie count. That said, I cannot stand that teeth-squeak thing that low-fat cottage cheese does, so I do eat full-fat cottage cheese.

A typical day would be:
    • a protein bar right after I run in the morning (20g pro/200 cal), and a banana if I can force one down (1g pro, 110 cal)
    • two scrambled eggs mid-morning, slice of cheese (20g pro and 200 cal combined),
    • tuna with a couple tablespoons of light Miracle Whip and cottage cheese for lunch (29g pro, 230 cal combined),
    • three pieces of light string cheese mid-afternoon (21g pro, 150 cal),
    • four oz boneless/skinless chicken breast/chicken thighs for dinner (20g pro, 100 cal), 1/2 cup pinto beans (7g pro, 100 cal) and 1/2 cup of mashed sweet potato/white potato (2 g pro/65 cal)
    • evening snack - protein ice cream (soy milk, protein powder, strawberries and bananas, frozen and then whizzed in the Ninja until creamy and yummy - 1.5 cup of resulting mix = 21g pro/150 cal)

That puts me at 141g protein and 1395 calories - and I can usually fit another half a protein bar in there somewhere if I want to get to 150/1500.

I did give up trying not to eat before noon--that protein bar is just necessary after running four miles. When I was running shorter distances, it was OK, but not now.

You will notice there are almost no vegetables in there... I hate 'em, I've always hated 'em. I will eat a few bites of them if my husband makes them with dinner, but raw or cooked, I'm not a fan. He will occasionally make a gravy with pureed veggies and chicken stock that is amazing, just to try to get me to eat some. Gotta love having your own personal cook who actually loves you! I'm thinking this is why most men get married... :smiley:

I take multi-vitamins, B-12 and potassium every morning to help make up for the lack of veggies and to add the iron my body doesn't process from food any more, get tons of Vitamin D when I run in the sunshine, and I do eat fruit. The Quest Bars have 17g of fiber, another reason they are definitely part of my process. My body cannot deal with milk, but oddly enough, cheeses of all kind keep me regular (don't laugh, something has to! :wink: ), one of the reasons why I focus on keeping it in the mix.

If you need to go high-protein, which almost every gastric bypass patient like me has had to do in order to keep from damaging their heart while they're dropping the massive amounts of weight, almost everything you eat must have protein. My rule of thumb is that for the majority of what I eat, the protein grams need to equal ten percent of the calories--so 100 calories has to have 10 grams of protein. That shuts out all the popular protein bars (most, like Nature Valley, have 10g of protein for 190-210 calories). I also stay away from sugar because it makes me ill, and sugar alcohols make me fart like a pet raccoon, so they're out. That shuts out most of the rest of the protein bars.

For anyone who is dealing with high cholesterol (I don't have that issue) this is not a good diet, as the vast majority of my proteins come from animal sources, dairy and meats. I am also risking kidney stones, but they pop up for me about once every five years no matter what I eat, so I don't sweat that too much. When the first signs show that one is detaching, I start drinking massive amounts of no-sugar-added cranberry juice and just keep going.

That was probably more of an answer than you wanted... Cheers, all, have a good day!

Lisa from West Texas

And, since I haven't in a while, the flags of the countries where we live:
    6hebnv50922r.jpg
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,961 Member
    Options
    tuliplor wrote: »
    Had a great day today!! I had to work and everyone went to the food court and ate Chick-fil-a, and Chinese, and other foods. I went to Sbarro and had a tomato and cucumber salad and a fruit bowl. It was really good. Everyone said, " Look at you eating healthy!" I usually have a big ole bowl of Chinese food. I made an quiche tonight. I think that if I prepare foods ahead of time, it will help! Thanks for all the encouragement!! You ladies are great!!

Congrats to you for making a good choice while your co-workers were eating junk.....every time you do this, it will get easier and your body will thank you for it. Each small step works with the others to create a life plan that will be sustainable and will sustain you in health.

<3 Barbie

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Gilly, I love the Louise Penny books!

Penny, I love raw turnip, especially fresh from the garden, but have not tried rutabaga. I'll look for some.

I'm starting on the last page and working my way backwards, and I see tantalizing references to something Pip did on an escalator, so I have to go back another page to find out what. I'm writing on the iPad, though, and if I click on the previous page I lose what I've written so far, so this will have to be done in chunks.

Last night DGS's to all practice was rained out. Today it's raining again, so my friend and I are going to try to walk at the new Plaster Center, which is a huge indoor track with an entire football field in the middle of it. It's on campus do we are hoping they will let us use it. The city helped pay for it, and they said there will be community hours in the fall, but nobody is using it in the summer, so we thought we would give it a try. The worst that can happen is they ask us to leave.

Hubby and I are taking his car to get an alignment in Joplin at 10:00. We will take both cars and then go do some shopping. I was stunned when he suggested it. He hates shopping.

So, I'm off to read page 22.

Later!

Sylvia

• Lagopus
    Options
    Winchester Cathedral, you're bringing me down... smiley-music025.gif
    I saw Winchester when we passed through in ... oh ... about 1966 and can still remember the facade of the cathedral. It was raining, of course, and I think I had that infernal ditty running through my head for a week after.

I'm posting a picture of myself all dressed up in my evening gown for a gala dinner in honor of India's president during a state visit to Norway. I think I've used the dress all of four times. The fat-girl draping around the front hides a lot, but the spaghetti straps force me to cover up with a Kashmir shawl. I'm about 15 lbs lighter now than with the picture was taken. B) I hope I've managed to resize so it doesn't frighten anyone. smiley-scared007.gif

End of break. Now back to weed-whacking!

/Penny at the Pole

zwtmmqkj535m.jpg

• mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Ok, I found the escalator thing that Pip and Kirby do. :o And drinking to Bolivian? Very funny. I think autocorrect has a sense of humor.

Michelle, I got cherries at our local store last night for 87 cents per pound! I was stunned. Can you freeze fresh cherries, or would you have to pit them first? I have no time for that.

Dora go get ready to walk. Have a great Wednesday!

Sylvia