• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

sounded more like another reason you should log cooking/cleaning....

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

I brought my mom into this after this comment:
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners.

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Because logging food matters, vigorously scrubbing a toilet doesn't

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

Everything?

What about using the bathroom?

Some call that heavy lifting.

If using the bathroom is heavy lifting for you, whoever has to clean it should be allowed to log cleaning.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »
    Maybe I'm uncomfortable logging the cleaning because it seems unfair on the woman who comes and does it

Heh--that's my problem.

Also, I really don't think everyone on my feed needs to know precisely how often I make the bed.

Let alone about what activities might occur in it!
  • kshama2001
    Options
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

:| Sorry to hear it.

Oh, I'm HAVING sex, just forgetting to log it ;)

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.

No, it just means that cleaning and cooking are NOT an exercise!!
  • senecarr
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

So CI is critical to <1% but CO doesn't matter. Weird religion this.
    Well, let's start integrating Japanese toilets that measure elimination amounts too while we're at it. Then we're Just a few steps removed from living in a metabolic chamber.
  • kshama2001
    Options

The MFP Exercise database says cooking and cleaning are so exercise:

b0ab97bb304d34a76e284a4839d87708.png
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    yarwell wrote: »

So CI is critical to <1% but CO doesn't matter. Weird religion this.

Calories out is harder to calculate than calories in.

I can weigh my chicken to the gram, but I can't know for sure I burned 8,457 calories dusting.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options

It also lists "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet", "mild stretching", and "mowing the lawn - riding mower".

Not sure those really count either...
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options
    This thread is full of TMI
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

I walked 1.28 miles to work this morning and my phone recorded about 3,641 steps. For a lot of people this would be pretty active. Everyone has a different life. Also note: if you're recording with your phone, you aren't going to have it for a lot of your steps in the house.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Good thing we're all adults here.

• punkrockgoth
    punkrockgoth Posts: 534 Member
    Options
    I've seen some dumb s*&^ in that exercise database. You can also log playing a musical instrument while sitting down or standing. We're not talking lugging a tuba around with a marching band, like sitting there with a guitar strumming some Wonderwall. Da *kitten*? Who logs this?

Likely the same people who go to a hatha/restorative yoga/mediation session because yoga makes you soooooo skinny.
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    I've seen some dumb s*&^ in that exercise database. You can also log playing a musical instrument while sitting down or standing. We're not talking lugging a tuba around with a marching band, like sitting there with a guitar strumming some Wonderwall. Da *kitten*? Who logs this?

Likely the same people who go to a hatha/restorative yoga/mediation session because yoga makes you soooooo skinny.

Ever done Bikram hot yoga? It's quite challenging.
    Incidentally, everyone I know who does it is skinny. Cause or effect, who knows. ;)
  • senecarr
    Options

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.
  • Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

I like this. I am going to use this line too
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    ceoverturf wrote: »

Good thing we're all adults here.

Isn't it usually the kids who feel compelled to overshare?
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,196 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

It also lists "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet", "mild stretching", and "mowing the lawn - riding mower".

Not sure those really count either...

Hmmm--playing the accordion definitely burns calories! I have a huge old accordion that weighs more than 20 pounds. I don't ever log playing music though.

I think that music makes sense if you are performing--maybe not so much if you are sitting on your couch at home.