Calories burnt doing household chores

Options

Replies

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

I mostly agree with you, but not here. I very, very rarely get 10,000 steps. My fitbit has 3000 as my goal. I don't meet that most days. I am a student home from uni, I work two days a week and going to and from my workplace is probably 3000 steps all together. I don't understand where I'm supposed to get my extra steps in? Yesterday I walked all the way around my nearest city - even up the steep hill (creatively named 'Steep Hill') and down again, shopping etc. I was out for about six hours. I still only walked 10500 steps. When I'm at uni, on days I'm in lectures, I walk to uni. Getting there is 3000 steps, with about 1000 walking around uni and 3000 steps back to accommodation, so 7000 is MY 'I'm alive and I left the house today'.
    Yes, 5000 is fairly sedentary, but not extraordinarily so. How on earth do you walk that many when home sick? On days when I don't get out of bed except to eat and use the loo (days like this make up about 3 days a week for me) I walk MAYBE 300 steps.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    Serah87 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners. ;)

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

sounded more like another reason you should log cooking/cleaning....

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

I brought my mom into this after this comment:
    Last time I was in the gym, I didn't see any kitchens or vacuum cleaners.

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.

No, it just means that cleaning and cooking are NOT an exercise!!

The MFP Exercise database says cooking and cleaning are so exercise:

b0ab97bb304d34a76e284a4839d87708.png

That's only because someone added them. Believe me, there are many things that should not be in the food and exercise logs.
  • ASKyle
    ASKyle Posts: 1,475 Member
    Options
    OP - whether you log it or not it's up to you. But if seeing the estimated number gets you off the coach more, fine. Your MFP settings are at least sedentary.....that's < 5,000 steps (not zero).

What!? When I try really hard to walk a lot I might reach '4,000 steps. Logged with my phone so I miss some but still. I would not consider 5,000 sedentary at all.

5000 steps is extraordinarily sedentary. I get that many steps when I am home sick in bed. I had a day last week when I could barely move due to a bad fibro flare--still got 6500 steps.

Yesterday I got more than 25,000 steps...on a work day, at a desk job. I work from a home office most of the time. Total commute: 5 steps.

By the same token, I have a hard time agreeing that 12,000 steps is extraordinarily active. It's more like "I'm alive and I left the house today."

Try harder.

I mostly agree with you, but not here. I very, very rarely get 10,000 steps. My fitbit has 3000 as my goal. I don't meet that most days. I am a student home from uni, I work two days a week and going to and from my workplace is probably 3000 steps all together. I don't understand where I'm supposed to get my extra steps in? Yesterday I walked all the way around my nearest city - even up the steep hill (creatively named 'Steep Hill') and down again, shopping etc. I was out for about six hours. I still only walked 10500 steps. When I'm at uni, on days I'm in lectures, I walk to uni. Getting there is 3000 steps, with about 1000 walking around uni and 3000 steps back to accommodation, so 7000 is MY 'I'm alive and I left the house today'.
    Yes, 5000 is fairly sedentary, but not extraordinarily so. How on earth do you walk that many when home sick? On days when I don't get out of bed except to eat and use the loo (days like this make up about 3 days a week for me) I walk MAYBE 300 steps.

3 days a week you get 300 steps? :s
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

I don't think that everybody needs to walk 12 miles a day, but 5 would be good...and it takes very minimal effort. Don't tell me you are trying really hard when you are getting 4000 steps a day. I'm old, I have disabilities/injuries, I have a sedentary job and I do a heck of a lot more.

Congrats?

Some days I literally can't get out of bed, so yeah - I struggle. But if you can do it, then I must be a lazy *kitten*!
  • fatcity66
    fatcity66 Posts: 1,544 Member
    Options

Try harder.

Because the definition of sedentary is dependent on your perception, based off using yourself as a standard.
    I'm going to claim I'm no longer overweight, people are just underweight when they weigh less than I do.

I don't think that everybody needs to walk 12 miles a day, but 5 would be good...and it takes very minimal effort. Don't tell me you are trying really hard when you are getting 4000 steps a day. I'm old, I have disabilities/injuries, I have a sedentary job and I do a heck of a lot more.

Congrats?

Some days I literally can't get out of bed, so yeah - I struggle. But if you can do it, then I must be a lazy *kitten*!

LMAO I seriously just died.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    mantium999 wrote: »
    mantium999 wrote: »
    I've seen some dumb s*&^ in that exercise database. You can also log playing a musical instrument while sitting down or standing. We're not talking lugging a tuba around with a marching band, like sitting there with a guitar strumming some Wonderwall. Da *kitten*? Who logs this?

Likely the same people who go to a hatha/restorative yoga/mediation session because yoga makes you soooooo skinny.

There were no obese people at the ashram I lived in in upstate New York and many skinny people. Of the residents, no calorie counters. Can't speak to the guests.

For some, tracking ensures deficit or maintenance. For others it's a fortunate accident. For all the CICO determines the end product. What is the point you were trying to make with that comment?

The point was to counter her sneering at yoga.

Countering the "sneering" by insinuating that yoga was the cause of lack of obesity? An invalid counterpoint isn't really useful.

I edited my post to add "and to show that there are many paths up the mountain."
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »

One does not need a gym to lose weight or be fit. My mom eats like a horse but is one pound away from being underweight due to her burn from gardening and maintaining a 200 year old house. And cooking and cleaning!

do you live with her? do you measure her food...you may think she eats like a horse but she probably doesn't...

I garden, maintain a house, have tonnes of flower beds (no tiller until last year) they were all dug by hand, a child and fairly active life making most of my food from scratch...I was not under weight..

I watched my own mother raise 7 kinds in a 200 yo house, garden mow an acre by pushing and maintain flower beds etc...she was over weight...don't give me that.

I lived with her in 2011, yes. Maybe it's all that organic food made from scratch she eats :P

Look, this was clearly meant to be an anecdote to rebut the notion that you need a gym in order to be fit.

and there was no anecdote about having to go to the gym to be fit..the comment was I don't see x at my gym...

Which to me implies you need a gym to be fit. @Serah87 will correct me if that's not what she meant.

It also lists "Music playing, piano, organ, violin, trumpet", "mild stretching", and "mowing the lawn - riding mower".

Not sure those really count either...

And... mowing the lawn.

On a riding mower.

• MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    ASKyle wrote: »

Try harder.

3 days a week you get 300 steps? :s

Yeah. I live in a village. There's nowhere to go and nothing to do.
  • lemonsnowdrop
    lemonsnowdrop Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    Logging these things may not hinder your loss - yet, but when you get close to your goal weight, you'll realize accuracy in logging is really important and there isn't nearly as much wiggle room.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,902 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

That's only because someone added them. Believe me, there are many things that should not be in the food and exercise logs.

Ahhh, I clicked around and learned users can add exercise to the database. Didn't know that. How do you tell the system entries from the user-generated ones?

• Deena_Bean
    Deena_Bean Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    I log the power cleaning as I call it. Every single day I clean up, do dishes and laundry and that sort of thing, but a few times a month I spend a good 5 hours power cleaning. Like I'm sweating and starvalin when I'm done. That I log at about 75% of my HRM. Do what you want, what works for you. If you're not losing and you're logging cleaning - try not logging it and see if it makes a difference. It's your life, your choice and your body. Everyone's is different.
  • barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Amerielle wrote: »
    eric_sg61 wrote: »
    Amerielle wrote: »
    I am forever amazed at how difficult people want to make weight control. I can't even imagine WANTING to log every little thing I do but I guess everyone needs a hobby.

I'm amazed at how people adamant about logging every gram of food can't get behind logging every activity.

Because logging food matters, vigorously scrubbing a toilet doesn't

Also, food is such an easily and quickly measured thing, every little activity is not. I mean, where do you stop? What will you count? Whatever...like I said, I'm sure I have hobbies others would think are an odd use of time.

I have a timer on my watch that I use when I stop and start everything but sex. (I think I've actually forgotten to log sex for some time.)

ETA - everything meaning activities in the MFP cardiovascular exercise database like cooking, cleaning, gardening, walking, yoga, swimming, etc.

Hahahahahahahaha, it's okay to admit you're in a dry spell.

I don't get it. I truly don't get why you'd log every activity. And what does that include? "Stapling report, .3 seconds; walking to mailbox, 2 minutes; justifying logging chores to strangers on the internet, 78 minutes . . . "
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    Options
    HRM for cleaning?

Seriously?

Just No
  • PeachyCarol
    Options

Try harder.

I like the cut of your jib, good sir.

• PeachyCarol
    Options

Try harder.

My perception is that a lot more people need to get off their *kitten* and move.

I'm sorry, but if you are walking 1.whatever miles, you are NOT ACTIVE. The absolute minimum standard is 5 miles/day.

Please cite your source for that.

Since it's a standard, there should be something listed on some government website you could share.

• barbecuesauce
    barbecuesauce Posts: 1,779 Member
    Options
    Deena_Bean wrote: »
    I log the power cleaning as I call it. Every single day I clean up, do dishes and laundry and that sort of thing, but a few times a month I spend a good 5 hours power cleaning. Like I'm sweating and starvalin when I'm done. That I log at about 75% of my HRM. Do what you want, what works for you. If you're not losing and you're logging cleaning - try not logging it and see if it makes a difference. It's your life, your choice and your body. Everyone's is different.

But HRMs aren't good for interval exercise, including cleaning. Your heart rate remains high, even after the main part of the effort has passed.
  • PeachyCarol
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    Also, I certainly hope anyone who logs sex (or certain acts, anyway) also includes the relevant entry in his or her food log.

Random semi-related story: when I was in college I was on the school paper and would occasionally review the books that got sent to us, one of which was this dreadful book by an alum (Jay McInerney--of course this was the '80s) called _Story of My Life_, in which the narrator was a woman who had lots of sex but refused to do certain things because it supposedly resulted in the consumption of something like 500 calories.

I thought the book was horrible, but still for some reason totally believed this claim for some years, because it just wasn't something I ever thought to check. (Not that the narrator seemed like a reliable one, especially for scientific facts.)

Later (in 2007 or so) I remembered this, because apparently the narrator was based on the real life woman who had a baby with John Edwards.

[Edited to be more discrete, because maybe it's the policy here.]

There is an entry in the data base for what you're implying.

And I do hope that those who log such things log, well... CICO... calories both in and out.

It's apparently 10 calories in, if you're a heterosexual female doing the logging.

• mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    SLLRunner wrote: »

Ahhh, I clicked around and learned users can add exercise to the database. Didn't know that. How do you tell the system entries from the user-generated ones?

Not sure that you can. Adds the the point that tracking daily activities when estimating the CO side is an inefficient use of your time. Whereas paying more attention to the CI side is more effective, while using a broad target like TDEE for CO. Its much simpler and more time effective to adjust calories consumed by say, 100, because your weight loss rate has changed, than trying to gauge your CO variables on account of trying a new page in the Kama Sutra.