Any Successes for Women With An Inverted Triangle Shape?

Options

Replies

• yvonitaa191
    yvonitaa191 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Newbie bump! :)

Sorry if this is a dumb question but how are you ladies measuring your shoulders? Are you just going all the way around them with a tape measure?

Im asking because my shape is very IT, but because my butt sticks out more behind, the hip measurement going round is the same as the shoulders going round, yet from a square-on view, the shoulders are noticeably wider than the hips and my legs also are quite slim (relatively!).

I'm also very tall 5ft 11 so the IT thing makes me feel like I'm too masuline looking, but I've come to more acceptance now that I've lost some weight (120 kg 2 years ago now down to 85 kg and 10kg more to go!), and I agree with the posters who said IT shape looks better on slimmer women.
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    ChiffonLaRue14 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    It doesn't get any worse than my IT measurements. I have lost 35 lbs so far. 60 more to go. My measurements started at 50"-44"-43" I am 5 foot 8 and used to weigh 235 lbs. I am Asian so I hardly had big boobs and a butt to begin with plus my face stores a lot of fat :( Now I am 200 lbs, measuring 47"-39"-40". It makes me sad how some women who weigh 70 lbs heavier than me have smaller faces and waistlines lol. Oh well, I do have a large frame, makes me look more imposing. I am hoping that once I get to my ideal weight I can wear better clothing. Pretty hard to dress IT's properly.

Oh but our shoulders really are beautiful <3
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Omfg I think that's me!!!!!
  • yvonitaa191
    yvonitaa191 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I just took my measurements:

Bust: 46 inches
    Waist: 32 inches
    Hips: 44 inches
    Shoulders: 46 inches

With another 10kg to lose, the shoulders might come down? I hope so! :-)
  • uvachic1215
    uvachic1215 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    i am in the same boat, large bust even after a reduction, during weight loss i was interviewing in a size 14 jacket with size 8 pants, very disproportional. i own that i am shaped like johnny bravo and will never be able to wear a pencil skirt...lol....it has gotten better since losing some weight but wont ever be an hourglass
  • ashleyweatherholtzmathis
    Options
    okmr1ie5rs0b.jpg

I'm an inverted triangle shape, this photo is from last year when I had lost 70lbs. So I was 292lbs in the photo on the right, which with the weight loss it seems to bring out my inverted triangle shape even more.
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    i am in the same boat, large bust even after a reduction, during weight loss i was interviewing in a size 14 jacket with size 8 pants, very disproportional. i own that i am shaped like johnny bravo and will never be able to wear a pencil skirt...lol....it has gotten better since losing some weight but wont ever be an hourglass

Sigh.... I know the feeling :neutral: I wear size 16/18 tops while my hips measure a size 10. Really hoping to at least even out in shape once I get to my goal weight. Good luck to us all :smile:

• ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    Progress-ish report for my IT shape lol. I am down to 192 lbs (long way to go) and at 5'8" my measurements are now 45"-38"-39"... ugh. Still a 1" waist-hip ratio. My shoulders are looking better though. I will report again and hopefully add pics when I reach 170 lbs. I have learned to love my body shape <3
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    2 weeks later from last post. I have lost 5 lbs. I still look the same. But I lost a few inches. Current stats: Height 5 feet 8 inches. Weight 187 lbs. 44"-37"-38.5 still nearly the same waist to hip ratio pffffft. All my body fat is stored in the upper parts. My hips qualify as a size 8 while my chest and waist is a size 14/16 lol.
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    So I decided to add more weights to my regimen. I lift every other day but I do cardio everyday. Nearly 3 weeks from last post, I am now 178.5 lbs, measuring 42.5"-35.5"-37" size 14 top and size 6 hips lol. I will do my best to get down to 128 lbs. I had lost almost 60 lbs so far. Long way to go!
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    Where are all the Inverted Triangle ladies? LOL. Anyhoo, might as well share my progress (no matter how small) here. 2 weeks from last post, I am 176 lbs at 5 foot 8 (did not lose much body weight but had gained better muscle definition from lifting) Current measurements are 41"-34.5"-37". Long way to go! :D
  • thistimeisthelast509
    Options
  • ChiffonLaRue14
    Options
    One month update lol. Weight loss has been slower as I am allowing myself to eat more protein and nuts. From May 2015, starting at 240-245 lbs and measuring 50"-44"-43"; today I measure 40"-33"-36.5". I now weigh 167.5 lbs or 76 kg. My shoulders are still broad as ever. Still a ways to go! 150-160lbs for my 5 foot 8 large frame is considered okay but I will see if I am able to go down to 130lbs. :)
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    lithezebra wrote: »

I read somewhere that a lot of models are inverted triangles. Supermodel Naomi Campbell is one and she looks great in her clothes.

See also: Kate Upton - latest Sports Illustrated darling.

I think I prefer the term 'top heavy'.

How about "athletic," for a positive term that describes a fit, healthy woman with a well built upper body?

I
    Agree

• RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    This book has helped me
    The Science of Sexy: Dress to Fit Your Unique Figure with the Style System that Works for Every Shape and Size – Bradley Bayou

• emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Alright. I commented long ago... So nice to see a few peeps still here!!!! I'm only 5'3.5" and started right at 200 after my last baby was born. When he was finished nursing I got serious!!! Lost down to 140. Well, ended up staying at 140 for three years. That is so hard to type out, makes me mad. I would log all week and go free all weekend. Well when you are short, that just keeps you at maintenance!!! A couple months ago I really buckled down with logging on the weekend I am now down to 133!!!!! Definitely the biggest difference in my belly and back fat has been these last seven pounds!!! So keep at it!!! I've also been training my legs really hard and haven't lost as muc in my hips. Yay!!! How do you measure shoulders??
  • emily356
    emily356 Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    Let's see if I can get a pic from my phone...ja7okwfuizv0.jpeg
    khhnpucy30g1.jpeg
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I am definitely an inverted triangle shape. I got teased when I was younger about it. A friend would call me Brawny, after the paper towel guy. I didn't like that much.... But anyway. I can really relate to those talking about shoulder pads! Lol

I took my measurements yesterday.

Shoulders 41 in
    Chest 36.5
    Under bust 34
    Waist 34 3/4
    Hips 38 1/2

My chest is really really small..... I mean bandaids would probably do the trick. (Slight exaggeration) And of course it's the first to shrink when working out and getting fit.

I was really fit before having kids. I didn't mind my shape then. ....... I was glad to know about googling strawberry shape. I will definitely do that! I really didn't realize what my shape was called either. Glad to know!

My husband calls me brawny cause of my arms and shoulders! 61adqnjp0kcm.jpg
  • Mouse_Potato
    Mouse_Potato Posts: 1,503 Member
    Options
    Inverted triangle here and I love it! I will never be curvy, but I can rock a tank top like no one's business! :smiley:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!