Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat

Replies

• DeterminedFee201426
    DeterminedFee201426 Posts: 859 Member
    edited July 2015
    psulemon wrote: »
    Valassia wrote: »
    i am a bit confused. i've been told cardio is the way to go, and jogging might help me toning a bit my butt.
    i don't really want to lose or gain weight i'm pretty happy with my shape, i just want to look a bit better! but i hate gym and weights :(
    do you have any useful link? thank you!

Can you share more about why you don't like the gym or weights? You might get some suggestions to help out.

**It is also totally ok not to like something of course. But sometimes we *hate* things for reasons that can be solved.

Typically, people hate things they are not good at. So the underlying issue is the poster doesn't know how to properly use them.

Also, you don't have to follow a standard lifting program. Pretty much any resistance program will be beneficial. While i posted this earlier in this thread, I worked with a woman who recomp using crossfit 5 days a week. So just find a program you will like.
    just the answer i need :P i like to lift heavy things but i dont have access to a gym at all

• Timorous_Beastie
    Timorous_Beastie Posts: 595 Member
    Valassia wrote: »
    i am a bit confused. i've been told cardio is the way to go, and jogging might help me toning a bit my butt.
    i don't really want to lose or gain weight i'm pretty happy with my shape, i just want to look a bit better! but i hate gym and weights :(
    do you have any useful link? thank you!

I lost weight mostly running for exercise. Even running in my very hilly neighborhood, it didn't do much for my bum. It was smaller, sure, but kind of flat and droopy.

Lifting, on the other hand, gave me a wonderfully perky bottom.

side-view_zpsf3c521ce.jpg

I don't particularly enjoy lifting, and I hated going to the gym. I bought weights for home (bench and barbell, adding more plates as needed) and do them while watching tv.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,388 MFP Moderator
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Got any tips for a person who works a desk job and comes home really late from work? Do you recommend bringing some weights to work or doing them on your break?

Sounds a bit like me. I go to the gym first thing in the morning.

Looks like I'll have to just get my butt up earlier in the morning. Lol I am not a morning person.

Work out when you get home or even workout at home. I used to workout at 9pm for a few years. I worked long hours, but made it a prior.

• vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    As of today I'm at my goal weight :) my body fat however is quite high I think it's about 35 will need to double check at the gym. I have been lifting for a while but with a lot of cardio I was just wondering the best way to progress with the weights I know I will need to cut down cardio but how much? Also how often should I increase my weights would increasing reps work to? Last question what is a good macro split I know everyone is different but a rough idea would be helpful. Sorry about the basic questions but this is the part of getting fit I'm the most worried about I don't want to mess it up and undo all my hard work.
  • xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    vixx1405 wrote: »
    As of today I'm at my goal weight :) my body fat however is quite high I think it's about 35 will need to double check at the gym. I have been lifting for a while but with a lot of cardio I was just wondering the best way to progress with the weights I know I will need to cut down cardio but how much? Also how often should I increase my weights would increasing reps work to? Last question what is a good macro split I know everyone is different but a rough idea would be helpful. Sorry about the basic questions but this is the part of getting fit I'm the most worried about I don't want to mess it up and undo all my hard work.

You'll want to get on a beginner's program: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Strong Curves are all good programs. They will start you at lower weights and are set up to progressively add weight (which challenges your muscles).

You may or may not need to cut down on cardio. I lift heavy 3 days a week and still run and hike. Everyone is different, so you'll have to see how your body adjusts. The one thing I will say is that cardio can impact your weight lifting (making your muscles more fatigued) and weight lifting can make your cardio harder (tired/sored muscles).

As for macros, a lot of people suggest:
    1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (OR 0.8 grams per pound of body weight)
    0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight
    The rest carbs.
    ^^This is what I aim to follow. I feel pretty satisfied. I also don't feel restricted at all.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    I do 15 - 20 min of cardio after my weight lifting. Too much cardio eats at your muscle mass (which burns calories). I just started recomp so I'm re-adjusting my weight lifting (upping the intensity) because I do need to lose some more body fat--it's a process that's going to take some experimentation so do what works for you, but cutting back on the amount of cardio should help. Have you tried HIIT??? Look it up on the Internet; you should find a program that works for you.
  • vixx1405
    vixx1405 Posts: 129 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »
    vixx1405 wrote: »

You'll want to get on a beginner's program: Starting Strength, Stronglifts, Strong Curves are all good programs. They will start you at lower weights and are set up to progressively add weight (which challenges your muscles).

You may or may not need to cut down on cardio. I lift heavy 3 days a week and still run and hike. Everyone is different, so you'll have to see how your body adjusts. The one thing I will say is that cardio can impact your weight lifting (making your muscles more fatigued) and weight lifting can make your cardio harder (tired/sored muscles).

As for macros, a lot of people suggest:
    1 gram of protein per pound of lean body mass (OR 0.8 grams per pound of body weight)
    0.4 grams of fat per pound of body weight
    The rest carbs.
    ^^This is what I aim to follow. I feel pretty satisfied. I also don't feel restricted at all.

Thanks this is very helpful will do some maths and adjust my macros. Will have to be brave and go in the free weight room at the gym if I look up some of those beginners programme at least I'll have some idea what I'm doing . It's good to know I don't have to give up my weekly run!! I haven't looked at HIIT but it sounds like a good option for getting the most out of my time. Thanks again for the advice if I have any more questions I know where to come
    griffinca2 wrote: »
    I do 15 - 20 min of cardio after my weight lifting. Too much cardio eats at your muscle mass (which burns calories). I just started recomp so I'm re-adjusting my weight lifting (upping the intensity) because I do need to lose some more body fat--it's a process that's going to take some experimentation so do what works for you, but cutting back on the amount of cardio should help. Have you tried HIIT??? Look it up on the Internet; you should find a program that works for you.

• professionalHobbyist
    professionalHobbyist Posts: 1,316 Member
    Been on the slowly add muscle while burning off fat for a bit. I am not going to bulk and add fat. Not on the mix.

Slow....

But rewarding

A few good long cardio calorie blasting days and a few mainlt calorie days and compound lifts done heavy.

Finally hit 32 waist pants. New profile pic is yesterday.

The thing with body comp to me is that it is slow and takes patience and a tape measure more than a scale.

• ladygirl123
    ladygirl123 Posts: 37 Member
    Definitely want to give this a try. Seem to be stuck at 119 lbs - 4'11" 47yrs
    I've been weighing practically everything including spices. Lifting for 3 weeks consistent 5 days week, 2-3 days cardio/week 20-30 minutes.. 1200cals. Pro90grms Fat40grms carbs120grms ..MFP only allows me to do % so that's p30/f30/c40.. Is this ok?
    So I should start adding 50 extra a week until I reach 1400 or 1300cals?
    Then stay on that for how long? Do Macros stay the same?

usmcmp wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.
    usmcmp wrote: »
    There's a lot of talk about recomposition through the boards, so I wanted to have a place where we can compile research on it and experiences with it.

When is recomp appropriate? When you are at a decent weight for your height, but your body fat is still at a level that is undesirable to you recomposition is probably a good option. It's a way to maintain your weight, eat well and still lose fat. This is a slow process and can feel like spinning your wheels, but it can be less mentally stressful than bulk and cut cycles.

The keys to recomposition are:

1. At the end of the week you have eaten at about your TDEE. You may choose to cycle calories or eat at a flat rate every day, there are studies that support both, but start with personal preference. If you have a consistent workout schedule using a TDEE calculator should place your goal fairly close to your actual maintenance. The only way to know for sure is to monitor your weight and calories over time while adjusting calories when you have an up or down trend.

2. Getting adequate protein. Protein is a building block of muscle. The goal of recomposition is to build muscle and lose fat at the same time. Protein, carbohydrates and fats play different roles in the muscle building process, so make sure that you keep to a macronutrient set up that works for you. This may need to be adjusted over time.

3. Lift! Following a good lifting program is the key to the entire process. It's where the magic happens. Pick a program that you will enjoy and that is going to challenge you. Continue to focus on improving.

4. Take pictures and measure. It's a slow process and you may feel you are making no progress. Your measurements will help you see that you are making progress.

Feel free to share stories of recomposition and any research you have seen on it. Ask questions if you have any.

• sanndandi
    sanndandi Posts: 300 Member
    tagging for future reading
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Got any tips for a person who works a desk job and comes home really late from work? Do you recommend bringing some weights to work or doing them on your break?

I have a 60 min reminder set at my desk so I get up and knock out pushups, planks, burpees, etc. I brought in a few weights as well.
  • husseycd
    husseycd Posts: 814 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    husseycd wrote: »

There's a Lyle McDonald article floating around (I searched his website, but I wasn't able to locate it) where he talks about how bulk/cut doesn't work for everyone. It helped me realize that I don't need to bulk. I still believe it's probably the fastest way to achieve goals, but I'm fine at this pace. It's sustainable for me.

Not sure about Lyle, but Bret Contreras has this: http://bretcontreras.com/to-bulk-and-cut-or-not/

(And I'm sure this has been posted somewhere in the past 24 pages, but my memory sucks.)

That's the article I was thinking of! Thanks! No wonder I couldn't find it on Lyles's site. :p

As far as working out in the mornings, I was never a morning person, but in July of 2014, I really wanted to get a workout in before leaving for a weekend in New Orleans, so I went to the gym at 6:00 a.m. Shockingly, I really liked it. Felt great all day. So when I got back, I tried it again. Same results. Fast forward about a year, and I've been working out in the morning before work almost every day. There is one huge drawback, bed time is now about 9:30. That's fine in the winter, but pretty much sucks in the summer. Oh well, I still love the a.m. workout.

• xcalygrl
    xcalygrl Posts: 1,897 Member
    edited July 2015

Sounds like a recomp would be a good choice for you. You are at a healthy weight, almost to your initial goal weight, but not entirely pleased with your body composition. A recomp can help you lose fat and get smaller without losing scale weight.
  • Katzedernacht
    Katzedernacht Posts: 266 Member
    HMMMM I think this may be what I'm looking for!!!!!
  • 29_adjacent
    29_adjacent Posts: 104 Member
    xcalygrl wrote: »

Sounds like a recomp would be a good choice for you. You are at a healthy weight, almost to your initial goal weight, but not entirely pleased with your body composition. A recomp can help you lose fat and get smaller without losing scale weight.

Thanks!
  • love2lift_85
    love2lift_85 Posts: 356 Member
    edited July 2015
    Saving to read later! I think I will need this when i'm done cutting.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    This is a great thread! One question - do I have to be at my ideal body weight before starting to recomp? I am 5'7'', 74.1kg but would like to be about 62kg (middle of my ideal weight according to the BMI chart). I've started stronglifts and am making some progress, but I think my calorie settings of 1500 a day is too much of a deficit for alternating days of stronglifts and c25k with sundays as a rest day. I do want to build some muscle and not stall on my lifts too early so another member suggested I eat just a little less than my TDEE on lift days (2121 cals according to scooby) and at my usual 1500 deficit on run days. Does anyone have any experience with doing this? Would be good to get your insight and advice! Thank you :)
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    No, and not sure; most of the reading on this indicates you should be at or near your goal weight (w/i a lb/kg or so) before you begin (because you are supposed to be eating @ maintenance). You might want to give a try (and just eat just shy of your maintenance requirements) to see how it works. Then post your results here.
  • limetree683
    limetree683 Posts: 51 Member
    Thanks for the insight griffinca2 - will try it for some months and see how I get on. On advice I got in another thread I think I am going to cut back the cardio (as trying to progress in lifting and running is maybe too much to ask if you are at a beginner level for both) and eat at a deficit on those days, and on lifting days (as I workout in the mornings) I will eat to just shy of my maintenance. I will post back here, maybe my experience will help someone else out.