July 2015 Running Challenge

Options

Replies

• shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    Just saw that Dean Karnazes is going to be hosting a 5k shake out run the Saturday morning before the San Francisco Marathon!! Very excited!
  • shanaber
    shanaber Posts: 6,395 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - Congratulations on the 1st place finish for both you and Skip! That is so awesome!!
  • Pandora_and_her_box
    Pandora_and_her_box Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Awful run today. It was really hot and humid and I just didn't feel right :'(

My ticker is playing up on my phone, but think this takes me up to 18 out of 80.

• Elise4270
    Elise4270 Posts: 8,375 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    1- rest
    2-lunch swim, 12.15 bike
    3-0.52 GI upset. Decided to lay on couch and eat popsicles instead.
    4-5.18 hot. HI 99, temp 89 humidity 60%
    5- 4.80 run, cold spring dip, run
    6-rest
    7- 3.27 80° 90% precip.
    8-rest
    9- 3.65 86° 62% humidity
    10- no run, SI pain
    11-5.47 improved pace! 87° 53% humidity real feel is 91°

19.26/70+
    I think the heat runs are finally paying off. My most comfortable pace had been about 10-10:30. Today I couldn't slow down. First 1.5 miles was a 9! Whaa? It was hot and walked a bit and stood in the shade for a breeze a few times.. So my average was just less than 12. Even short up hill runs were 9ish. Stoked!

Congratulations to Skip and you @skippygirlsmom! I finished second once. But didn't get a place medal. My husband registered me as male and I didn't catch it til the day after. The run was the day after my son tried to commit suicide. The front of the shirt says "SAVE ME". So the bling wasn't a big deal.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    @ddmom0811 Thanks! I can't wait for autumn when most of the bugs die off so I can take pictures without being swarmed on! Even stopping to tie your shoe is asking for trouble.

Biting horsefly's are the worst here. If your slow enough thee bite and draw blood. In the shadded areas I swear there are 100's. No matter how much deet you put on they find the one little spot light enough to bite you or just don't care if you have it on. I felt like I needed a riding whip today.
  • Elise4270
    Options
    Nadvicza wrote: »
    Hey I'd like to join this challenge... I m joining pretty late but I will set my goal to 40.. being realistic. Today is my rest day.... so I will login my milage tmrw.

Welcome! Great bunch here!
  • mwyvr
    mwyvr Posts: 1,883 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    o7rjjvno12p0.jpg

@skippygirlsmom This is so great! Congratulations to both of you!

• Elise4270
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Idk what happened here- something freaked out.

Dismiss
  • Elise4270
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @419er

Lol! Ya its a half. I don't know if you saw my reply about the expenses. Im kinda hit an miss catching up some days. It's for my husband and I. It's the half and a 5k the day before. (30+55)2+27 for the transaction fee. I'm just glad I started a stash account. It
  • bbandme
    bbandme Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    My other half decided he wanted to join me on a run, I wasn't planning on going tonight but its a rare event for him to want to come so we went and did my 2.5k route. I beat my time for the third time this week, bringing it down to 13.18 this time :smiley:

exercise.png[img][/img]
  • kgeiger141
    kgeiger141 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    A little late to the party, but I'm going to set my goal for 20 miles for the rest of the month!

exercise.png
  • Wendy1Fl
    Wendy1Fl Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Hey all, we had a cooler, lightly raining day today, so I thought I'd give it a go to see how I could do. I got to 1.62 miles with a pace of 13:00 min/mile, but I had to stop to spew twice as I jogged by some big dog dookie. Changed my route slightly (duh!) and I was good to go until someone decided to BBQ some meat. Hork-a-rama-jama!!! So, while I wouldn't exactly call today's run a success, at least I was (mostly) well enough to get out there & try. I hope to log at least 10 miles in July, but realistically, even a goal that low may be a joke. I'm a pretty (rediculously) stubborn lady, but I fear I have met my match in being pregnant. That won't stop me from trying on my good days, though!
  • 419er
    419er Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    You know, I suspect that no one here actually is keeping track of me - but there is still some satisfaction, and accountability, to get out here and post my updates every once in a while. As of today I'm done with the 2nd week of my 16 week Marathon training, and I'm 100% on track for my monthly goal. It's also worth noting that I'm using MFP to track all my calories and I'm trying to drop about another 10 lbs before the race. I've set the plan to drop 1 lb per week, hoping I can drop it early and really kill the last month of training (It also helps that I have a vacation to Hawaii planned 2 weeks before the race...that's more motivation to lose any excess weight too...)

Thanks for being here 'community' - 419er

exercise.png

• Elise4270
    Options
    @Wendy1Fl oh I feel for ya! Hopefully it'll pass soon.

@kgeiger141 welcome!
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    In theory, it was 81 degrees out, but maybe I've been getting used to the weather, maybe it was because I was running mostly in the shade through a wooded trail, or maybe it was just 45% humidity, but it definitely felt much cooler on my run this afternoon. Off to get my free 7/11 slurpee as my post-run reward. Going to do a 12 miler tomorrow, 6 Monday mid-day, then dreading my return to Florida Monday night.

7/1 - 6 miles
    7/2 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:45 pace)
    7/3 - 5 miles w. strides
    7/5 - 13 miles
    7/6 - 6.5 miles
    7/7 - 7 miles w. strides
    7/9 - 6 miles (w. 0.25-0.5-0.75-mile-0.75-0.5-0.25 pyramid @ 1:43 pace)
    7/10 - 6 miles
    7/11 - 5.5 miles

Total: 55 miles, 2 speedwork session
    Goal: 140 miles, 5 speedwork sessions
    Remaining: 85 miles, 3 speedwork sessions
  • ddmom0811
    ddmom0811 Posts: 1,878 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom - WOW!!! That's so cool that you both won first place! Grandma must be beaming!!!
    @419er - this is a great community, I agree! Learned so much here. Some days when my head is playing with me on a run, I think of all the miles people here do and it keeps me going. :) Your mileage is very impressive!

So... today I went to a store in Northern VA that does one of those computer running tests of your feet. Bought two pairs of shoes, and the custom made orthotics. :scream: But they feel so good. My shoes have not felt good for a couple weeks and I just haven't had time to look. Got Brooks Glycerin 13s and a Saucony Triumph ISO. They claimed I shouldn't run in my current shoes anymore because of the wear on the bottom -- I hadn't even noticed but there is a terrible hole in the tread, on just one side on both of them! I am supposed to alternate the shoes if I run every day. Since I'm out of town for 2.5 weeks, I can't bike and lift so I am running more.

Also bought some swamp land in Florida and the Brooklyn Bridge, but it's okay. Can't wait to run again with these. Just going to do a very small run with one of them tomorrow to break them in.
  • vandinem
    vandinem Posts: 550 Member
    Options
    Easy 3.1 today. I need a rest day but don't want to lose too much ground on my goal!

exercise.png
  • skippygirlsmom
    skippygirlsmom Posts: 4,433 Member
    Options
    @elise4270 I can't believe registered you as a boy :frowning: I'm sorry to hear about your son, I'm sure it was a very difficult time.

Thanks everyone, we had a fun day.
  • Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Date Miles today. Miles for July
    7/1 REST DAY
    7/2 7.5 miles - 7.5
    7/3 REST DAY
    7/4 13.2 miles - 20.7
    7/5 REST DAY
    7/6 7.3 miles - 28
    7/7 7 miles - 35
    7/8 REST DAY
    7/9 5.25 miles - 40.25
    7/10 REST DAY
    7/11 13.4 miles - 53.65

exercise.png

I got a late start this morning as I was out watching my wife run a 5K this morning. She got a 46:03 on a very hot and humid day. Probably the hottest morning so far this year. Then I decided to go out and do my long run right afterwards. Started a little after 9 and didn't get home till after 1:30.

My Garmin watch recorded 2 runs cause I just had to take a long break in the middle of my long run. It was just way too hot out. Luckily the owner of Chic Filet is a runner and a friend of mine who let me cool down and get a drink. It was a life saver. First part was 10.3 miles in 1:59:39 at 11:37 avg pace; second part was only 3.1 miles in 34:36 at 11:09 avg pace. Then I quit and walked the rest of the way home for another ~3miles.

• Stoshew71
    Stoshew71 Posts: 6,553 Member
    Options
    @skippygirlsmom Congrats on you and Skip. It was a hot one today so very understandable on no PRs.

@Wendy1Fl Bravo on trying. Sorry for the doo doo and BBQ.