WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR JULY2015

Options

Replies

• GodMomKim
    GodMomKim Posts: 3,644 Member
    Options
    Michele – loved vince’s dental floss comment - for stands to keep the tiles in could you use pool noodles and cut a slit in them to tuck the tiles in?

Becca- great foggy dh pic

Katie bug – ok kinda gross, but kinda amazing too…

Grits – wow, is this a hobby, or is this an income generator, or both? I am a crafter but not an artist…

July Goals:
    Walk everyday –try to hit 180 miles 7/11 - 57miles so far
    1 plank every day and log here – goal more then 19 - 7
    Log everyday –
    Eat mindfully-
    Weekly fun things –
    W1 – Mom is here for the 4th, and we are going out to dinner –her treat!
    W2 – a new smart phone, my business paid off, a visit from an out of state friend
    Kim from N. California
    58855297.png
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    :) Great day today....didn't log food or exercise....reached my step goal by getting to bed early last night, getting up early this morning and walking the dogs for a long time and then seeking opportunities to take a quick walk during breaks during the meeting and walking to lunch (Vietnamese) with my friend...Tomorrow will be another busy day but it won't start so early. Now I'm off to bed.

<3 Barbie
  • drkatiebug
    drkatiebug Posts: 1,945 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    Yeah! Twins won! We saw a great game and had a good time!

Drkatiebug- what was the name of the product you used? I'm glad you informed us because almost all people have that deal skin issue. I don't get a pedicure because of safety standards, problems with cleanliness at some shops. So, thanks for posting!

Mary from Minnesota

Yay for the Twins. My DH is also a fan.

It is called Baby Foot. I got mine from the dermatologist for $25, but it is only $20 on Amazon. My recommendation if you plan to try it is to pick a time when it will be at least two weeks before your feet need to appear in public or be prepared to wear socks and shoes to hide the peeling. I've got to go to a mission workshop on Thursday. I sure hope I am through "shedding" by then. And it also says not to use if you are diabetic or if you have any broken skin.

• janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    Options
    My new waterproof FibBit Flex came today via FedEx. I have it all charged up, set up and going. We shall see how it goes. I won't be going to be pool until Monday morning so that will be the real test. I'll keep you informed as to how it does.

I did do my 60 mins of stationary bike riding, in two 30 minutes sessions. I'm dragging now, hope I didn't over do.
  • NO_Excuses_515
    NO_Excuses_515 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Hi All - Don't have time to respond to everyone, but know that I'm reading and thinking of you daily.

It rained all night and most of the morning here. Took my daughters to their first color run which they ran in the rain. It stopped about 5 minutes before they finished. They had a blast and it was fun watching them. Now, I've got the bug. I told them that with one year to prepare, I'd make a goal to run the color run with them next summer. Now I've told all of you this goal so you can hold me to it too. I hate to run so it won't be an easy one, but optimistically, I'll have met my 50 lb weight loss goal by then so I'll have 200 lb less impact on my knees (right Lisa?)

Linda/IA
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    It's late and we just got in to our hotel in Kearney after spending last night in Scott's Bluff. This morning we drove all over northwestern Nebraska. It was beautiful. So many vastly different kinds of landscapes, just one after another. But we had zero cell phone signal during much of the drive, as it's pretty desolate in that area. We drove many miles on dirt roads looking for something called Toadstool Geologic Park, which isn't even really on the map. Google maps doesn't find it. The official state map doesn't show it. But we managed to find it. A little bit of a letdown, but we enjoyed searching for it.

As we were driving back toward Kearney hubby mentioned that one of his colleagues said that hubby's name was tied to some pretty awful stuff on the Internet. I googled his name and did find one of the first hits was a blogspot blog that was apparently written by my ex DIL back in 2009. It was horrible, horrible stuff. I was just sick over it. All lies, except the part where she said I was horribly overweight and criticized my appearance. That much was true. I'm just devastated that this stuff has been out there all these years and I didn't know. And hubby's friends have seen it! Apparently you can tell all the lies you want and it's considered free speech. Blogspot says they protect free speech.

My son called and told us that he and the on-again/off-again wife are done for good now. She came to his apartment drunk again last night and he told her not to come back. She is supposedly in outpatient rehab. I don't think it's working.

Well, I have to get to bed. We are leaving at 7:00 tomorrow, headed home. Good night all.

Sylvia
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Evening Ladies,

Lisa, I totally agree that setting specific goals with a time limit or pound amount, just don’t work for me. I feel like I set myself up for failure. I’m so excited that I’ve been able to lose 55 pounds that I don’t even mind how slowly the last 6 months have been. It’s still moving in the right direction and that’s what matters.

Stooges, welcome. That sounds like a great resolution. Please tell us something about yourself so we can get to know you a little. Also, please sign each post with the name you want to be called and a location, general or specific. It really helps us respond to you.

G&S, glad you are feeling better. A bad cough can really wear you out.

Janetr, congrats on your new FitBit. I’m sure you will enjoy it.

Katla, glad the bike pants helped. Your lesson sounds like fun. You are using western saddle aren’t you?

Carol NC, so good to hear from you and you sound better. At least you haven’t murdered anyone yet so things must be going okay. Still sending healing vibes. Take care.

Z, welcome. This is a very supportive group of ladies. Please tell us a bit about yourself to help us start to know you. Come often and join in.

Tawanda, welcome to you as well. Please sign your posts with your name and a location is great too. It helps us remember you and relate to your part of the world.

Heather, so glad you had a good time with your friends. I love the picture with the beautiful background. Thanks for sharing.

Yannie, how about share some of those nice temps? It’s still been HOT here.

DeeDee, I’m impressed with the amount of walking you do and the hour you do it!!! Haven’t heard of any shark sightings around here this year, thank goodness. It’s great to hear that you are enjoying retirement and having fun. It just don’t git no better than that.

Kim, good for you on logging that breakfast sugary thing. Now that you see how many calories were in it aren’t you glad you know? I do believe you said you won’t be eating it again. I truly believe we owe it to ourselves to log everything so we can make informed decisions.

Dr.Katie, that is some skin! smiley-scared001.gif Did you put this stuff on the top of your feet too or just the bottoms? At least it’s working.

Mary, I do get pedicures but am very picky about the salon. The one I go to does a great job of sanitizing the foot bath after each person. That is one thing I always look for. I have seen some that barely rinse them out. Yuck

Michele NC, Vince is too funny. I like the one about the dental floss! smiley-laughing004.gif Your game in the pool sounds like fun.

Linda, good for you on your planned run with the girls. You can do it!!! We Believe.

Sylvia, it sounds like a fun trip. I can relate with the search being more fun than the destination. LOL Have a safe drive home.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

Wow, about 9:30 we got a downpour. It lasted for about 45 minutes. They had not even predicted a chance of rain. We needed it so I’m thankful for it. DH has been sick in bed all day. Gosh did that make it quiet around here. (He talks a lot.) He seemed to be feeling a little better late today.

I send healing wishes for all of you that are sick or hurting. Wishing all a good day tomorrow.

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • margaretturk
    margaretturk Posts: 5,073 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Sylvia What your DIL did is abuse. Those who know you know it is lies. Have you thought to add your own story to this blog. You would not have to mention anything about DIL said. Tell your story of courage and strength in working towards your own healing and health. Love you Sylvia. (((HUGS))) Tell your son I am praying he can stand firm. It will take courage and strength to say no a loved one with that severe of a problem. Sometimes tough love is the only answer for all concerned. Prayers for DIL that she finds the strength and courage to heal from abusing herself.

Deedee I am so happy for you that you are enjoying retirement and grandchildren. :drinker:

Mary Go Twins. Great you had such a great game to watch. What a nice break from dealing with house issues.

:heart: MNMargaret
  • JanetMMcC
    JanetMMcC Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    (skipping pp21-29)

Decided it was time to get the long, frizzy hair chopped off.
    Got the time mixed up and arrived an hour and 15 minutes early, so lunched at the coffeehouse next door, on "Asian" chicken salad (chicken strips, broccoli, the usual year-round spring greens, shredded carrot and some sort of brown, mucilaginous dressing) and fruit salad. Spent much of the lunch deciding just how much of everything there was so I could log it.
    So now I have a 15-inch tail of hair to send to ... I'm not sure where. Locks of Love apparently
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/quora/2013/05/13/locks-of-love-6-million-of-hair-donations-unaccounted-for-each-year/
    may not be so great.
    And I keep seeing my mother approaching me in mirrors.

I also found, to my delight, that, for the first time in I can't-remember-how-many years, I can once again wear size 14 pants.
    Bought 3 pairs jeans (2 blue, 1 purple) for $6 each and a pair of tan pants for $8 at the Junior League thrift store (the first thrift store I tried, which benefits an animal shelter, only had low-risers in 14. By damn, I finally have a waist again, and I ain't gonna buy pants that don't use that waist to stay up).

Alla y'all dealing with phone spam - I just remembered tonight about www.donotcall.gov. It's a Federal Communications Commission / Federal Trade Commission site for any US resident who doesn't want telemarketers to call. You can register up to 3 numbers per person. I'd registered my home and personal cellphone years ago, and just added my work cellphone, which seems to be a telemarketer magnet.

I missed the Vegas showgirl pic, but talk about it reminds me that author Vicki Pettersson was in that line of work for 10 years, and her urban fantasy series are set in Vegas.
    http://www.vickipettersson.com/

JanetR - what a miserable, nasty illness. I hope it passes quickly. Take care of yourself -- partly by letting Jack do most of the caring. :)

yanniejannie - condolences on the loss of your dear friend.
    Yeah, the sinkhole is something else. It started fairly small, but kept getting bigger and bigger. It's been about 31 acres for six months or so, though.
    South Louisiana is very young, geologically. F'rinstance, rocks have to be imported.
    And weird things happen - like the time a drilling rig puncheed into a salt mine and it sucked in the shallow lake around it. And the drilling rig. And another. And 11 barges. Not, praise be, any people, including the guys on the rig, who left before it happened, those in the mine, who got the evacuation signal in time, or any out catfishing. I talked to one of the fishermen. Asked what he thought. "Tell the truth, I thought it was the end of the world."
    http://www.losapos.com/lakepeigneur

Rosie - 16,927!! Wow!

Toni - so sorry about the sciatica. Hope it calms down.

Lisa - excellent insight about weight-loss deadlines.
    Best of luck to your daughter re custody.

Lilian - thinking of you and the rest of Saskatchewan. Holy cats, 618 fires!

DJanet - hope your husband's feeling better.

Stooges, Linzer, Tawanda - welcome!
    Tawanda - you're almost one-third of the way to your goal. Congratulations!

Lenora - glad you're feeling better, and that your bro-law is out of the hospital.

NC Carol - YAY for that mental point! And a very good one it is. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for pain relief.

gawworth.. - gayle? - GREAT 2.5-month loss!
    And you're one-quarter of the way toward your goal. Way to go!
    Green peppers are actually unripe versions of the colored. I *think* red is fully ripe, orange not-quite-so and yellow a bit less. I much much much prefer the sweeter, riper peppers.

Kim from N Cal - congratulations on owning the knowledge.

Janet in NO
  • jmkmomm
    jmkmomm Posts: 3,247 Member
    Options
    netr, glad that you are a little better today. But a little better when you were that sick yesterday isn't enough. It shows in that 78/65 blood pressure. Fluids and keep feet up! Even if you are considerably better Monday, your doctor at least make a note of the problem just in case there is another one and he can see a trend. Are there Eye, Ears, Nose and Throat doctors around. That's who finally got to the bottom of my sinus problems but that was way way back. Just getting as dizzy as you did will make you nauseated. Your body senses that it is in real trouble therefore it send blood to the main organs, the heart and brain. All other organs are non essential at that time. My fitbit flex works fine in the shower.

Lisa, what kind of ranch are you on that the owners fly all over Texas? That is so awful that a parent would do that kind of thing to another parent. Hopefully that child was conceived out of love. i hope she gets full custody.

DJ, as far as giving up diet drinks or tea, you know how often we eat out. As high as a coke is these days, here as much as $2.39, I can get a lot of my food for that price. Switching to Greek yogurt I have found how expensive it is. I just tell hubbie that he should remember that I get my water free.

Heather, such a lovely picture of your friends. You talk about how many wonderful tings he has done for the kids. Is he a stay at home Dad?

Katla, the trip your kids are taking sounds real neat. I'm sure they are glad that parents have a wonderful sail boat!

Rosei, welcome home. I read that the red slippers that Judy Garland wore in Alice in Wonderland got stolen. Don't know why I put that in. I guess it was that she clicked those shoes and said she wanted to be home in Kansas.

Penny, hope you get used to darkness pretty easily.

KatieBug, that is an awfully lot of dead skin. It almost looks like art, all the texture, swirls, lines. It's also like clouds. I can see a butterfly wing and a Pringles potato chip!!!

Lenora, very picturesque picture of your husband. You need to have Becca paint that. All the different textures, whatever those things are that are sticking out of the water, the ripples, fog, bridge and of course the fierce fighter!

Michele, when I first started working as an RN, we had 2 years nursing students, 3 year and four year nursing students. The 4 year were the worst. Sorry Meg. They were taught how to give a patient and enema but not taught how to put them on and off the bedpan. So one of our own employees would have to be in the room with the student and instructor. She would give the enema, then the employee would have to taker patient off and clean up. I just always shook my head and said Huh? i never understood why the instructor could not have handled the bedpan. So instruction manuals do not make sense.

Kim, I think that is on eof the first thinks a person learns when they first join MFP. When they log their food, even if it is what they consider diet food, they get a huge awakening. But that's all part of the learning.

With all you people talking bout your replanting it reminds me of something my sister did. My mother was a wonderful gardener but somehow we didn't get it. Mom had beautiful irises all over her yard, behind the garage, everywhere. So when Mom moved to her retirement home, Norma sneaks over there and digs up bulbs from around a tree in the front yard and takes them home. She wants me to help her to replant them and even though I don't really know what I am doing I can smell that those aren't Iris bulbs but green onions!

I think my husband may actually be getting better. He is down to about 8 trips to the bathroom per day now. Most of them are diarrhea but some of them are just gas and when you have as much diarrhea as he does, you don't misjudge a gas pain. You go to the bathroom. This Thursday we go down 10 mg on his dose of Cortisone. So he will be done with the big dose and then taper down. Hopefully by the time it is finished, a total of 8 weeks, his infusions will have been authorized and he can start those. Hopefully we can get a small vacation in October when the grand kids are on fall break.
  • Lestan48
    Lestan48 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Sunday and we drove to Don and walked along Don River footpath, then back to Ulverstone for walk on Button Beach so Blaize could run himself silly on sand and swim = 504 cals/ Bought ice cream and logged it
    Almond on a date smoothie was delicious, will make again
    Made smoothies for tomorrow: Pineapple Tree for lunch and Hawaian Honeymoon for 2 snack
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Good morning all!

Hooray it's raining! ! ! ! ! :drinker: I'm one happy gardener!

Joyce - it is my husband who is the children magnet. Truly! The two parents could hardly believe how the children related to him straightaway. I have seen it so many times, but it still astounds me. He gets great joy from it too. :love:

Lenora - Wonderful photo! Love it! :flowerforyou:

Still on a bit of a high from yesterday. Good friendships always feel to me like the air is sparkling between us. I heard once that Hassidic Jews also believe that and I was delighted to find my feelings validated in that way. :bigsmile: The kids were grest too. The 2 year old reminded me so much of my own granddaughter in her gutsy attitude to life. She seemed to like me too! <3

On the train, in between mouthfuls of sushi, I was complaining to DH that my friend with cancer never rings me and appears to be trying to avoid me. :cry: I got home to find an ansaphone message from her! I will ring her when I've finished this and will write this afternoon instead.

Love to all. Lamb and butternut squash curry tonight. Should make enough for 2 days. I have some chard in the garden I will put in and some fresh peas to pod. Yum!

Janetr - hope you feel better soon! Sounds awful!

Love Heather UK X X X X X
  • kayak_kutie
    kayak_kutie Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    Good Morning,

Becca - great picture of your husband! Love how the mist makes the blue in his kilt stand out.

Lesley - your smoothies sound delicious. Love all of the different names, so descriptive.

yanniejannie - sorry for the loss of your friend.

Pip - glad you're having a blast in Vegas. Happy belated birthday to Kirby!

Janet in NO - congratulations on those size 14s!

Oh, hear my DH upstairs moving around so I better get going. Was trying to get some time on here to post. We have been busy the last couple of days cleaning out the garage so yesterday we decided to get an early start today and take our bikes out for a ride on the trails. It's been so hot that we haven't spent much time outside but we got some rain Friday night into Saturday and it is a little cooler, mid 60's this morning. Will heat up later today with high humidity.

Tina in MD

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,962 Member
    Options
    1461351h0otf8hco5.gif I have another day filled with sedentary events so I'm headed out again to walk the dogs early and for a long time so I can at least meet my step goal even if I don't get any other exercise.

<3 Barbie
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    My Fitbit says I only slept for 1 hr 23 min. Wonder why. I also see I normally must be 9900 steps away from 10,000 a day!! Who knew? :)

Janetr. OKC
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,297 Member
    Options
    Rang my friend and we've arranged for her to come and visit for three nights in August. Hope she does manage to come. :ohwell:

Heather UK
    27681614.png
  • miriamwithcats
    miriamwithcats Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    jmkmomm- Alliums are in the onion family, so the bulbs may have been alliums. They are usually a purple ball on a long plain stem. I have two types in my garden. Green onions don't have much of a bulb to them- they white part just ends in a tough disk that grows the roots.

When I moved to this house I carefully split all the plants I wanted to bring, leaving my old garden looking nice still and well mulched. The new owners rented the house, to college students. They stored their canoe in the shade garden against the house and tied up their puppy in the sunny garden. I was crushed- all that hard work to leave it looking nice.
  • janetr7476
    edited July 2015
    Options
    @Heather - glad your friend agreed to come for a visit.

Thanks, Heather, I do feel better this morning. Did not sleep well, hopefully that gets better soon.

Janetr OKC
  • mikesmom1983
    mikesmom1983 Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    Off to the beach!! Yeah!!
    More later.
    Chris in MA
  • nccarolb
    nccarolb Posts: 858 Member
    Options
    Good morning! It is cool enough here that I brought a throw outside with me to cover my legs (I have on sleep shorts so legs are unusually bare). It is awesome! I am really going to miss sitting on my patio when I go back to work tomorrow . :cry:

I overdid it yesterday and was in a lot of pain by mid afternoon. Although it felt so wonderful to be productive, the aftermath was miserable. As soon as my daughter got home from work, I had her hook me up to the icing machine. It's the first time I have REALLY watched the clock silently begging for my pain meds.

Katherine is working at Old Navy and they have a massive sale going on this weekend. I had her take me over there after I had iced for a while so that I could search for some loose fitting tops and/or tunic tops to wear until my range of motion is enough to get into my regular tops. I found a number of things. She will take a couple of things back today that didn't fit. She 'bought' them for me as a 'yay, you survived surgery' gift so that we could use her employee discount. I was in a LOT of pain again by the time I got home so it was back on the ice machine.

After I'd iced some more, it was time to shower. I did it all by myself! The only thing I had to ask her to help with was finding my pajama shorts--it really hurts to bend over and I kept jammies in a bottom drawer. I was exhausted by the time bedtime rolled around!!

Michele - I know you asked GRITS this, but Vince will have to have an MRI to determine if he has a rotator cuff tear. It won't show on an X-ray because it is a soft tissue injury.

I'm going to church this morning. It will be interesting making sure that no one touches my shoulder. :frowning:

Heather - I love having friends in all different age groups!

Thanks for listening to me ramble...

Carol in NC