Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options
Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Replies

• ElJefeChief
    ElJefeChief Posts: 650 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Yeah, well, your tone does sound a bit provocative, so I wouldn't be surprised if some people take it negatively.

That being said - I AGREE WITH YOU. I don't get it. I have lost about 2 pounds per week for the last two months I've been on MFP, and I don't see how I could have done it without exercise. I also get to a couple of nice-sized, filling meals most days, I can snack and have ice cream, popcorn, or cookies on occasion - and that's only because I get to pad my allotment via running. If I wasn't exercising, I would have to think my eating would have to be so restrictive it would be painful.

Also, exercise *feels* *good*!!!
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I exercise and enjoy it and the extra calories I earn. Having said that, this thread has all the hallmarks of a total bunfight.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    rhngmapm4wvs.jpg

Okay, I'm ready!
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    I exercise most days. I'm having a lazy day today but I'll make up for it tomorrow. I've dropped from size 38 pants to 34 in a couple of months since i started running. I'm not sure I would have had the same results without it.
  • Docbanana2002
    Docbanana2002 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I think some people only care about being small, not about being healthy. So they don't exercise, or don't eat a nutritionally inadequate diet, or starve themselves.

My view is that looking thin is great, but ultimately it is about taking care of my body for the long haul, which includes not just keeping calories low but also being fit and healthy.
  • bhanvi
    bhanvi Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(
  • TheVirgoddess
    TheVirgoddess Posts: 4,535 Member
    Options
    I exercise now, but I wasn't consistent with it during my 83 pound weight loss. I had several reasons for not exercising that aren't any of your business. It certainly didn't stop me from losing weight.

How about you do you.
  • Diana_GettingFit
    Diana_GettingFit Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

You build it up gradually. When I started running I couldn't run a block but now I can run 2 to 3 miles.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    Just wondering how people are trying to lose weight without exercising.

I can see if you have some type of issue where you absolutely cannot exercise, but anything other than that it just seems like laziness to me, and it would just seem like a life long battle of being hungry and thinking about food all the time.

Is it worth a lifetime of struggle?

You're still going to be a lump on a log, you're just going to be one that weighs less and feels crappy.

I am not a fitness nut either. I just walk every day, and ride my bike. Since I have been doing this, I can pretty much eat the same way I always have by making it up with walking and bike riding, and I feel so much better for it.

I am not trying to hurt anyone's feelings here, but I read these posts and just think to myself... why?

Why don't you worry about your own journey first. What other people do shouldn't be any concern of yours.

Because I am concerned, and I want to know why.
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »

Build up your stamina. Also, find something you enjoy doing, as it makes the time go by quicker :wink:
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    rhngmapm4wvs.jpg

Okay, I'm ready!

reeeoooaaar
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    Well, aren't you amazing?! Congrats on being so perfect from Day One of your weight loss journey!

Some of us mere mortals take things slowly, working on one thing (say, logging all we eat), and when that gets comfortable, adding another (weighing/measuring food) and when that feels good, adding another (exercise).

But you know, I guess because some people don't do it the way you do it, they're doing it wrong.
  • loulamb7
    loulamb7 Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    Ever hear the idiom "You can't out exercise a bad diet"? Ultimately weight loss or gain is determined by caloric intake. Exercise helps but it still comes back to calories. Reason you're losing is because walking is creating a caloric deficit.
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    People have different attitudes and goals.

"Skinny fat" is my goal. I don't like being outside. I don't like exercising. I would like to get my doctor off my back about my weight and fit into an airplane seat comfortably.

If you want to exercise that's great. Feel free. However, I'm thrilled to have found a workable plan where I'm losing weight but I'm not hungry. MFP gives me a way to easily track my food intake and it's working for me.
  • jafels
    jafels Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    [

More like "curious", that being said, someone losing weight without exercise is lazy? Judgemental much??
  • ohmscheeks
    ohmscheeks Posts: 840 Member
    Options
    I exercise now, but I wasn't consistent with it during my 83 pound weight loss. I had several reasons for not exercising that aren't any of your business. It certainly didn't stop me from losing weight.

How about you do you.

Repost!
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
    Why don't you worry about your own journey first. What other people do shouldn't be any concern of yours.

Some people prefer to be sedentary. People are different.

a6guzv1u5i3m.jpg
This discussion has been closed.