Who Is Trying To Lose Weight Just By Counting Calories Alone? And Why?

Options

Replies

• lindaloo1213
    lindaloo1213 Posts: 283 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my best friend worked out for a year straight and her weight didnt budge, once she started watching her calories the weight finally came off, shes down 15# in about 4 months. Ive never been able to lose on exercise alone either. For me watching my calories is 95% of weight loss. Its very easy to be over your maintainence calories even with lots of exercise. so counting and recording keeps me in check.

I enjoy working out and the energy it gives me though so even after losing what I am trying to I am still going to work out because I enjoy it.
  • LaceyBirds
    LaceyBirds Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    I just want to point out that I have read a thread or two started by this OP, and the original post is exactly the same as the others - extolling his virtues while putting others down. I believe one of them was deleted. When I read the second paragraph of his original post, I knew I would see his name next to it. The other threads went the same way this one is going.

This is not the OP's first rodeo.

• OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    Options
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    bcalvanese wrote: »
    I still think it seems kind of lazy to not include increased activity (exercise) into a weight loss plan...

There we go again with the name calling. Sorry - "humility".

So just sit on your butts...

A lot of people on this thread are WAY more active than you.

Seriously.

Most people here are more active than me. I walk and ride my bike. But it's moving in the right direction, and when I get to a safe weight to start jogging without getting impact injuries, I plan to start doing that gradually.

You are real good at picking little parts of my posts and twisting them into what you want other people to think.

You never answered my question about being in the military.

were you?

I think not. I think you read things on the internet, and act like you know them from experience.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    Options

were you?

I think not.

Wrong again.

I think you read things on the internet, and act like you know them from experience.

And there's that well-ingrained humility again...

• flaminica
    flaminica Posts: 304 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    my best friend worked out for a year straight and her weight didnt budge, once she started watching her calories the weight finally came off, shes down 15# in about 4 months. Ive never been able to lose on exercise alone either. For me watching my calories is 95% of weight loss. Its very easy to be over your maintainence calories even with lots of exercise. so counting and recording keeps me in check.

I enjoy working out and the energy it gives me though so even after losing what I am trying to I am still going to work out because I enjoy it.

I have a friend who did the opposite. He focused on weight loss via exercise with only small dietary modifications. The problem with that is the more weight he loses, the more exercise he has to do to maintain a deficit. A year on now, he's lost 75 lbs, which is good. However he also walks 12-13 miles a day, every day, to maintain momentum. In bad weather he spends a couple of hours a day on a home treadmill. If he gets sick, or stops walking for a few days, or walks a few miles less, the weight creeps back. When his treadmill broke recently, he regained 10 lbs in a month.

I feel badly for him because he's the one who inspired me, but he's on a treadmill in more ways than one.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,930 Member
    Options
    BTW - just a comment here ...

You can lose weight with exercise (voice of experience talking), but you have to do a lot of exercise. The 30 min/day * 3 days a week won't cut it. And in order to do the amount of exercise required, it's pretty much got to be something you enjoy. :)

However, going the increased exercise route is one of three options for losing weight.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

were you?

I think not.

Wrong again.

I think you read things on the internet, and act like you know them from experience.

where were you stationed?

what is your MOS?

Where did you do basic and AIT?
  • seska422
    seska422 Posts: 3,217 Member
    Options
  • freyja484
    freyja484 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would say, it's how you set your mind! Mind setting my friends. I always make it happen. Nothing is impossible if you just do it. I have lost 11lbs since my journey started. With that said, I enjoy sweating by doing 20 minutes high intensity interval workout every 5 times a week and cooking veggie meals. One of my achievements in life that I never did before :)
  • lindaloo1213
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

I have a friend who did the opposite. He focused on weight loss via exercise with only small dietary modifications. The problem with that is the more weight he loses, the more exercise he has to do to maintain a deficit. A year on now, he's lost 75 lbs, which is good. However he also walks 12-13 miles a day, every day, to maintain momentum. In bad weather he spends a couple of hours a day on a home treadmill. If he gets sick, or stops walking for a few days, or walks a few miles less, the weight creeps back. When his treadmill broke recently, he regained 10 lbs in a month.

I feel badly for him because he's the one who inspired me, but he's on a treadmill in more ways than one.

My friend was only about 10 above her ideal weight, so had she been heavier the weight probably would have come off from the exercise alone, but since she had such a small amount to lose the food had to change just like your friend.
  • Mr_Knight
    edited July 2015
    Options

were you?

I think not.

Wrong again.

what is your MOS?

Oh FFS. :smiley:

Benning for basic and AIT, and after that, jump school, and after that, Fort Lewis. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

And what does any of this have to do with the thread topic?

attachment.php?attachmentid=145004&d=1393262482
  • lindaloo1213
    Options
    flaminica wrote: »

My friend was only about 10 above her ideal weight, so had she been heavier the weight probably would have come off from the exercise alone, but since she had such a small amount to lose the food had to change just like your friend.

also, if on the days/weeks he cant exercise he would keep his calories lower he wouldnt gain.
  • OldAssDude
    Options

were you?

I think not.

Wrong again.

what is your MOS?

Oh FFS. :smiley:

Benning for basic and AIT, and after that, jump school, and after that, Fort Lewis. You should be able to figure out the rest from there.

And what does any of this have to do with the thread topic?

attachment.php?attachmentid=145004&d=1393262482

Somehow I don't believe you.
  • kittywrangler
    kittywrangler Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    bhanvi wrote: »
    How do you guys exercise for 1 hour staright and burn 500 calories.I get tired on my treadmill after 20 minutes no matter how hard I try to push myself. :(

If you can, break up your exercise into a few 20-30 minute sessions a day. Still adds up the same and won't wear you out and leave you feeling defeated. =)
  • Mr_Knight
    Options

were you?

I think not.

Wrong again.

what is your MOS?

Perhaps a military forum would be better suited for you, since you seem to base a lot of your identity on your 6 years in the armed forces.

Yeah...six years....30 years ago...

chapter-1.jpg
  • LilannB
    LilannB Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    LaceyBirds wrote: »
    I just want to point out that I have read a thread or two started by this OP, and the original post is exactly the same as the others - extolling his virtues while putting others down. I believe one of them was deleted. When I read the second paragraph of his original post, I knew I would see his name next to it. The other threads went the same way this one is going.

This is not the OP's first rodeo.

Thanks for the information. The OP appears to be a troll particularly after his most recent passive/aggressive abusive post.

• blankiefinder
    blankiefinder Posts: 3,599 Member
    Options
    Well I guess my running for forum president ain't happening.

But I would like to say that most of you have been way harsher to me than I was on any of you.

I still think it seems kind of lazy to not include increased activity (exercise) into a weight loss plan, and I don't think there is a doctor on earth that would disagree with that (unless the person had a medical reason).

So just sit on your butts, count your calories,struggle more than you have to, and become the same out of shape person that you were before, but with less weight.

I am going to lose my pound a week, and increase my fitness level enough to not have to really be concerned about my weight anymore, feel 1,000 percent better, and when I get really old, I won't need family members to wipe my butt, bathe me, and help me get from point A to point B because I sat on my lazy butt for all those years.

And my question is still... Why?

I can't believe I have a reason to post this...I'm so excited...
    311ab87178f17d227f8d63e2d60e49a087ab88293a3dede983a0e04acef83316.jpg

This whole post was worth reading just for this meme B)
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    Options
    I was really thinking they were teaching people respect in the army...seems i am wrong
This discussion has been closed.