Using Bento Boxes for lunches.

Options

Replies

• PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    Onigiri for days! #_#
    8sd19uszlp9s.jpg

These look amazing, and so neat. I will be receiving a mould soon, and then I get to attempt one - but I get the feeling it won't be anywhere near as pretty as these!!

I actually use the ziplock baggie trick from the Just Bento site. It helps you mold conical onigiri (the ones on the plate) and then I squish them into a flat triangle (the ones in the bento) if they're going into a bento box.
  • PixelPuff
    PixelPuff Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I have the plain triangle mold from Bento&Co. S'worked really well for me so far, though I wish it was smaller.
  • clh72569
    clh72569 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    kxkoulumqew5.jpg
    My second attempt at bento. My lunch for tomorrow. Potstickers, asparagus, broccoli, sweet potato, onigiri, star and heart egg!
  • scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    My lunch for tomorrow:

inio8fkgvyca.jpg

Carrots and Laughing Cow Cheese; red pepper pieces; spinach, white bean, and garlic dip; and pasta with ricotta, spinach, and tomatoes. Here's how it looks assembled with the ice pack in the middle:

4kz2kf87pvb7.jpg
  • mangrothian
    mangrothian Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    Another smoked salmon flower bento. I think I'm getting lazy. Although I did make two of them; it seems my mother-in-law stays the extra night when we come visit so I'll make her a bento to take into work with her on Monday.

jazcd8zrue99.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options
    scante60 wrote: »
    My lunch for tomorrow:

Carrots and Laughing Cow Cheese; red pepper pieces; spinach, white bean, and garlic dip; and pasta with ricotta, spinach, and tomatoes. Here's how it looks assembled with the ice pack in the middle:

Those carrots are so uniformly sized. It's quite unnerving to me, like those square watermelons you can buy in Japan.
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options

I actually use the ziplock baggie trick from the Just Bento site. It helps you mold conical onigiri (the ones on the plate) and then I squish them into a flat triangle (the ones in the bento) if they're going into a bento box.

i have been looking on there, but haven't seen it all yet, and didn't see that trick
  • plumsparkle
    plumsparkle Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Blooming phone! It doesn't like smileys! Was going to say, my mould thing was only 99p inc postage, so not too bad, but it did look a little fiddly. Will have a look on just bento. :)
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    How do you like to prepare your rice beforehand? I'm having issues with my rice being all dry and gross before I get to eat it. If it wasn't as much of am issue for me I would love to make my onigiri rolls a few days in advance or keep them around for simple snacks.
  • SpecialKitty7
    SpecialKitty7 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    How do you like to prepare your rice beforehand? I'm having issues with my rice being all dry and gross before I get to eat it. If it wasn't as much of am issue for me I would love to make my onigiri rolls a few days in advance or keep them around for simple snacks.

I don't have a rice cooker, so I just make mine on the stovetop. The key is the type of rice you're using. Your standard long grain rice is supposed to make dry separate kernels. Short and medium grain rices tend to get a bit more sticky and are better for our purposes here. I do a modified version of the Just Bento method for pre-making rice in that I put my rice in little gladware containers instead of plastic wrap. Then I just toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes (totally frozen) and stuff it in my bento. I don't know what you can get around you, but I mainly use Mahatma Jasmine rice & Nishiki Sushi rice.
  • madeleadele
    madeleadele Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    ps24csjfadyh.jpg
    2lctd4qtfw6n.jpg
    First bento today!! Boiled egg, almonds, blueberries w cinnamon in the top container (no way to separate my egg from my almonds..not a big deal though). And tuna salad and carrot sticks in the lower container!
  • PinkDeerBoy
    PinkDeerBoy Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I don't have a rice cooker, so I just make mine on the stovetop. The key is the type of rice you're using. Your standard long grain rice is supposed to make dry separate kernels. Short and medium grain rices tend to get a bit more sticky and are better for our purposes here. I do a modified version of the Just Bento method for pre-making rice in that I put my rice in little gladware containers instead of plastic wrap. Then I just toss it in the microwave for 2 minutes (totally frozen) and stuff it in my bento. I don't know what you can get around you, but I mainly use Mahatma Jasmine rice & Nishiki Sushi rice.
    I have been using shorter grain rice and freezing it like I saw on Just Bento. I am starting to think I am just being picky. :p
  • sagj
    sagj Posts: 256 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    79mp2nvxkdio.jpg
    Today's bento:

Layer one: BBQ Salmon and asparagus with some tartar sauce

Layer two: Kale salad with ham, basil goat cheese, and carrot flowers with grapefruit and cherries
  • PixieGoddess
    PixieGoddess Posts: 1,833 Member
    Options
    sagj wrote: »
    Today's bento:

Layer one: BBQ Salmon and asparagus with some tartar sauce

Layer two: Kale salad with ham, basil goat cheese, and carrot flowers with grapefruit and cherries

Oooooooh, now I want ham! @_@
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options
    I have been using shorter grain rice and freezing it like I saw on Just Bento. I am starting to think I am just being picky. :p

Maybe :wink: but it did take several of us quite a few tries to not have crunchy-cement like rice. Maybe you'll find what works best for you?

• scante60
    scante60 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    Another smoked salmon flower bento. I think I'm getting lazy. Although I did make two of them; it seems my mother-in-law stays the extra night when we come visit so I'll make her a bento to take into work with her on Monday.

jazcd8zrue99.jpg

Lovely looking box - do you happen to know by weight how much salmon you use?
    My lunch for tomorrow:

Those carrots are so uniformly sized. It's quite unnerving to me, like those square watermelons you can buy in Japan.

The carrots in my box are the "baby" carrots that are pretty ubiquitous in the States - I think they're actually cut down to the shape out of bigger carrots. I just go with it because it saves me the time and trouble of peeling and cutting for myself.

• LifeInTheBikeLane
    LifeInTheBikeLane Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    210d9oo.jpg
    2v2wsjq.jpg

Shirataki noodles w/ shrimp and mushrooms in a jerk sauce, a turkey rolls with blue cheese crumbles and grapes, strawberries & cantalope! :)
  • SpecialKitty7
    Options

jazcd8zrue99.jpg

My lunch for tomorrow:

The carrots in my box are the "baby" carrots that are pretty ubiquitous in the States - I think they're actually cut down to the shape out of bigger carrots. I just go with it because it saves me the time and trouble of peeling and cutting for myself.

I live for baby carrots. Buzzfeed did an awesome thing on baby carrots, but just a pre-warning, it's Buzzfeed, so there's lot's of colorful language.

• Swiftlet66
    Swiftlet66 Posts: 729 Member
    Options
    Mini bento! ^_^

u9n3ch30z63t.jpg
  • mangrothian
    Options

I find i need to add a little more water than what Maki suggests on justbento (if yiu dont know how old your rice is, you may need to as well). The other tip i have is to separate and freeze your servings as soon as the rice is cooked to keep in all the moisture. I also still get the crunchy rice issue if my soak time is less than two hours.

jazcd8zrue99.jpg

My lunch for tomorrow:

That one is 125g. It's a lot more than a recommended serving, but i needed the protein. My MIL had 75g in hers and it still turned out pretty.

And i was wondering about the carrots, because here they look nothing like that. Ours look literally like skinny minisized carrots.

And for anyone who wants to know exactly what is in my bentos, my diary is completely open :)