HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• fannyfrost
    fannyfrost Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I love lifting and while I am still overweight, I look a lot slimmer than many people that weigh the same as me. It is because I lift :)

FYI, I also love Zumba. I do both and that is OK too :)
  • blueyellowhorse
    blueyellowhorse Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I know lifting makes us ladies look hot, but I can never stick to a consistent routine. I just can't get motivated to start lifting. Also when I do it, it's not that enjoyable to me. Yeah, I'm just lazy tbh. :( Any advice ladies??
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    So happy to find this thread again! I think I posted pictures about 1 1/2 years ago, but I'm kind of starting over because of pregnancy.

My lifts are higher than they were then, but my deficit hasn't been consistent enough, so the ;ook isn't there right now. Can't wait to post new pictures of the "bulky" me.
  • AddieOverhaul
    AddieOverhaul Posts: 734 Member
    Options
    oldsoul918 wrote: »
    I absolutely love this thread and finally feel confident enough to share my pics. Started out somewhere slightly north of 150. I don't have any pics of me at that weight. My stats: 36 years old, 5'4" or so. In my before pic I weigh right around 130 lbs and had lost 20ish pounds by changing my eating habits and incorporating lots of cardio. I was happy to have lost weight, but still not happy with how my body looked.

Then I found the weight room, started lifting heavy and that changed everything! Now I weigh about 112 lbs. I love lifting, I love how I feel and how my body looks, and I love being strong....they'll roll my cold, dead body out of the weight room before I ever give it up :wink:

Fingers crossed the pics show up... :D

zc1lnnvq5909.jpg
    pulcv4rmd2hn.jpg
    n73o87pcuu1b.jpg
    mx4yauu74tzi.pnge447m4vke7qn.jpg

Wow you look great! I look similar to your before pic right now...I guess I know what I need to do!!
  • oldsoul918
    oldsoul918 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    @AddieOverhaul Thank you! Lift heavy, you'll never regret it!!
  • Care76
    Care76 Posts: 556 Member
    Options
    I absolutely love this thread and finally feel confident enough to share my pics. Started out somewhere slightly north of 150. I don't have any pics of me at that weight. My stats: 36 years old, 5'4" or so. In my before pic I weigh right around 130 lbs and had lost 20ish pounds by changing my eating habits and incorporating lots of cardio. I was happy to have lost weight, but still not happy with how my body looked.

Then I found the weight room, started lifting heavy and that changed everything! Now I weigh about 112 lbs. I love lifting, I love how I feel and how my body looks, and I love being strong....they'll roll my cold, dead body out of the weight room before I ever give it up :wink:

zc1lnnvq5909.jpg
    pulcv4rmd2hn.jpg
    n73o87pcuu1b.jpg

You look amazing, WTG!!!
  • oldsoul918
    Options
    You look amazing, WTG!!! [/quote]

Thanks so much! It definitely takes hard work, but it's so worth it!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options
    Care76 wrote: »

Then I found the weight room, started lifting heavy and that changed everything!]

How long have you been lifting heavy? Are you doing a program like SL 5x5?
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,137 Member
    Options

zc1lnnvq5909.jpg
    pulcv4rmd2hn.jpg
    n73o87pcuu1b.jpg

How long have you been lifting? Did you do a program like SL 5x5?
  • oldsoul918
    Options

[/quote]

How long have you been lifting? Did you do a program like SL 5x5?[/quote]

I've been lifting for about 4 years. But it took me some time to figure out what I was doing and I started lifting heavy 3 years ago or so. It took about a year to lose the last 15lbs or so, but I was seeing changes and progress the entire time. I've been maintaining for a little over 2 years now.

I did read NROLFW and followed it loosely for awhile, but went back to doing my own thing. I also loosely followed SL for a bit (okay, very loosely :D ) but again ended up going back to my own thing. I learned a lot from both programs and incorporated things, but just kinda like to do what I want to do ;)
  • Rudenurse88
    Rudenurse88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all for sharing their successes. I have been training (newby), but now I know that I should pursue heavy lifting to achieve the results I want.
  • cindys921
    cindys921 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    Awesome results. What are your stats? Did you follow a specific program? You look great!
    jushsfw0v4hz.jpg
    Been lifting heavy for well over a year. Lostv54 lbs and 70+ inches :)

• arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    jushsfw0v4hz.jpg
    Been lifting heavy for well over a year. Lostv54 lbs and 70+ inches :)

Holy...Amazing. Your legs look great. I need to get mine there.
  • michelletowle52
    michelletowle52 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    You look fantastic I love lifting heavy
  • ratts82
    ratts82 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Before, a few months prior to heavy lifting:

Tcu7zpP.jpg

170 lbs. Size 12 dress. Approximately 30% BF.
    Waist = 33 inches
    Hips = 41 inches
    Under bust = 38 inches
    Thighs = 23 inches
    Arms = 13 inches

Now, 5 months after starting a progressive loading heavy lifting program:

ySQwmSK.jpg

151.8 lbs. Size 4 dress. Approximately 20% BF.
    Waist = 27 inches
    Hips = 36.5 inches
    Under bust = 31 inches
    Thighs = 21.5 inches
    Arms = 11 inches

17.2 lbs lost. 4 sizes lost. Approximately 10% BF lost. 21 inches (and counting) lost.

Still think heavy lifting will make you "bulky?" Think again.

Heavy lifting ladies, I invite you to post YOUR before and after pics. Maybe, just maybe, we can attempt to snuff out this, "WEIGHT LIFTING WILL MAKE ME HYOOOOGE" myth.

Well done, you look great!! I too am a fan of weights, they don't bulk, I just have more definition! Weights all the way!!
  • raregem99
    raregem99 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    lifting will broaden a woman's shoulders. So if she already has shoulders too broad for her liking, obviously she wouldn't want to do clean snatches with 100 lbs.

• Songbirdie90
    Songbirdie90 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone looks amazing!! Its probably already been asked a few times but can you still achieve these results using weight machines?
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    raregem99 wrote: »
    lifting will broaden a woman's shoulders. So if she already has shoulders too broad for her liking, obviously she wouldn't want to do clean snatches with 100 lbs.

not true at all...

I have been lifting for 2 years and went from a large shirt (due to shoulder width among other things) down to a small shirt....
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!