Fed up of dieting...want to start enjoying

Options

Replies

• Therealobi1
    Therealobi1 Posts: 3,261 Member
    Options
    Op. I find the whole thing tiresome whatever the label but it's worth it in the end. I do miss eating endless amounts of snacks with all my meals but it doesn't make sense to go back there. Being obese with that extra weight was hard. I am not missing any food's just all the volumes I used to eat. So until I have fixed that I stay here to remain focused. Good luck and keep at it.
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    BACK TO THE OP
    gloria286 wrote: »
    58 years old and cant remember a time i wasn't thinking about/worrying about what i ate. Basically feast or famine!!! Enough now...watch this space!

Not sure what..."watch this space" means???

We all want to enjoy life. I think that is why many of us are here. We know that if we get the excess weight off...become more fit...rid ourselves of the reasons that we became over weight...that we can enjoy that life so much more and hopefully for a longer period of time.

It is hard some days...you bounce along...eating less...moving more...and then one day it becomes overwhelming. You can't count one more calorie...weigh one more gram of food...plan one more day of eating...and that is when it gets hard...that is when you are at a crossroad. Do you give up or do you put on your big girl panties (ok guys...or your big boy briefs) and keep moving forward.

Many of us have battled the weight for years...we have success...we have failure. We give up...we try again. In the end we each have to make a choice...do I win this time...or do I just give up entirely and resign ourselves to a life hiding behind our food and our fat.

I think you have to ask yourself...which is going to help you enjoy yourself for the rest of your life...continuing on as you are or working toward a healthier fitter you in the future.

The choice is yours...

• angelica_lisa
    angelica_lisa Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I think @kateyb94 should make a new thread and share her favorite recipes, including how to cook the food. Both the crepes and the meatloaf sound yummy ^^

And OP I hope you find that balance that you are looking for. I am still finding it myself, but it seems to be getting a tad easier.
  • lautour
    lautour Posts: 89 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    Well this thread has certainly belied the notion that it's "simple" figuring out how to eat so as to lose weight. It also demonstrates why all of this can be very tiring, especially if you're not a teenager dieting for the first time, but a near-60 woman who has been on this train for decades, like OP.

Is 50 grams protein sufficient or a recipe for failure? Exactly how many pounds should you lose each week and how do you configure your diet lifestyle change so that you're neither losing too fast nor too little, especially when as little as 100 calories (or a few crisps) can make a big difference? Weighing and measuring every gram and counting everything to the calorie, breakfast, lunch, dinner, every morsel, every day, every where, on vacation, at work, at the baby shower, at your in-law's house and so on and so forth for the rest of your life (because stopping at maintenance is what makes the weight come back)....it can be tiring and not fun after a while, for some people. You also have to figure in the cost in time, money, and effort. And there is never a point where you get to just stop, it will never be over, and that's the biggest and hardest thing to deal with sometimes.

Actual, physiological fatigue is an extremely common effect of calorie restriction, so it's not just psychological fatigue, a person may actually not have much energy at all on 1400 or whatever calories a day. And that doesn't make them lazy, or "excuse-makers".

I mean, some parts of it can be enjoyable. I too love the feeling of eating a delicious day of food and feeling satisfied and knowing that I could achieve that feeling on 1000 calories less than I used to eat. It can be fun doing things that you know are beneficial to your body and health and turning your body into an ally, a useful tool, rather than viewing your body as something that (literally) weighs you down and needs to be fought against. And it's always nice to set a goal and reach it, and to learn how to set reasonable goals that take shorter periods of time to reach. So there's a lot of learning and I personally find that enjoyable. Best of all is creating a "lifestyle change" that has flexibility and grace built into it.

But it's ok to be tired and acknowledge it and not feel bad about it. And to say "no one said it would be easy" and not use it to dismiss concerns, but to actually get started talking about what that means, that this isn't "easy".
  • cbelc2
    cbelc2 Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    Mfp is my new hobby. I have a thin woman in my brain's photo album. I'm working on being her, so I don't feel deprived when I go out with friends and they order pasta and cheese or fried food and I I get a beautiful meal salad with no croutons. Perspective....
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    Options
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

Most people who offer help in those situations have been around a while and realize that when a diary says "servings", the user is using a personal recipe. they may ask to be sure that it's the poster's own recipe and/or ask how they got to that serving size. They're not likely to just assume the poster is logging incorrectly simply because they're using a recipe. All of us use recipes and have entries that say servings.

I certainly have those "serving" portions on some of my recipes.

The way that I see it is...my recipes and especially my diary is for my purposes. I am not real concerned if others understand it or not nor do I feel the need to explain why I do what I do.

If by some chance I needed help...which to be honest...I don't think will happen when it comes to food...I would search out someone whose opinion that I have come to respect and probably message them for advice. The answers that you get in an open forum are sometimes just too strange for me. I lose patience easily with some of this off the wall stuff.

• triciab79
    triciab79 Posts: 1,713 Member
    Options
    Nerdycurls wrote: »
    Don't be disappointed when you gain all of the weight back plus some due to your desire to lose the weight as fast as possible.

There's reason to believe the speed of weight loss does not impact the rate of regain.

Summary: Contrary to current dietary recommendations, slow and steady weight loss does not reduce the amount or rate of weight regain compared with losing weight quickly, new research has found.

Science: http://www.thelancet.com/journals/landia/article/PIIS2213-8587%2814%2970200-1/abstract
    Media: http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2014/10/141015190832.htm

That study is very flawed in the fact there was a group restricted to a diet of 450-800 calories a day for 12 weeks. No person should be eating less than 1,200 per day. Not only was this caloric restriction unhealthy, but it was unrealistic considering the possible metabolic damage and how it may have contributed to the weight regain.

Of course the initial weight loss tends to be rapid, but science also shows how plateauing comes into play. Most people do tend to regain the weight after an extended amount of time. I think more research needs to be done on a variety of weight-groups.

Where as I will agree that more research should be done, no research was done before the recommendation that everyone go on a slow and steady method of dieting. I have yet to see a single study that shows that it is in anyway more effective than losing at a rapid pace. I kept at least a 2lb+ per week weight loss for the entire 9 months it took me to lose 100lbs and I have been in this weight range for 3yrs. Diets do not need to be sustainable to be effective and for people with issues with emotional eating a hardcore break the cycle diet may work better than a slow and steady diet. Kinda like most people are successful stopping smoking or drinking by doing so cold turkey as apposed to cutting back by 1 cigarette or drink. Emotional eating or reward eating is not about being hungry. They have to stop going to their trigger foods because new habits must be formed to be successful. Most people with a significant amount of weight did not get to that weight because they were hungry, they got there because they eat when they are happy, sad, mad, bored, nervous, stressed, or uncomfortable with silence.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Where as I will agree that more research should be done, no research was done before the recommendation that everyone go on a slow and steady method of dieting. I have yet to see a single study that shows that it is in anyway more effective than losing at a rapid pace.

The results we have so far clearly show that losing "slow and steady" is NOT more effective than going fast and furious.

Some people are going to do better on the gradual path, others will do better getting it over with as quickly as possible. Some people do better on a smooth incline, others do better stair-stepping.

Diets do not need to be sustainable to be effective ...

This is indisputable. I don't know how the exact opposite has become MFP gospel...
  • debsdoingthis
    debsdoingthis Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    Thaeda wrote: »
    I totally feel the OP. I really dislike having to watch what I eat. I do it because I have to, but it gets really old. "Lifestyle change"?- here is my issue with that. MY lifestyle (if it did not lead to weight gain) would be filled with donuts, cheesecake, and fried chicken. I have learned to eat veggies. I have learned to stop eating when I am no longer hungry (instead of when I am full). I have learned to make "helathy" substitutes for my favorite foods-- they do not taste as good as the real thing (EVER), but they at least keep the scale from moving up. I have learned to put off eating by drinking hot beverages that feel "filling". But ALL of this takes effort--to me, "lifestyle" implies somehow it becomes easy. As far as I am concerned, it NEVER gets easy- losing weight and keeping it off is a lot of work.
    I think you are my long lost twin! I could not have said this better myself.

• galgenstrick
    galgenstrick Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited July 2015
    Options
    kateyb94 wrote: »
    kkenseth wrote: »
    Well as long as you are sure you are being accurate, although its going to be hard for people to help you if one day you need it because they wont be able to see that in your logging and will assume you don't know what you are consuming and eating more then you think you are.

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

Same goes for meatloaf. 3 servings for 284 calories? I don't think so.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Do you mind sending the recipes for the crepes and meatloaf you made?

Sure:
    Meatloaf: 6 servings (I ate 3)
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot
    46 gram egg (a medium sized egg)
    40 grams bread crumbs (Great value whole wheat)
    a little garlic, salt, and pepper (not enough to even show up on the scale)

Potatoes: 2 servings (I ate 1)
    231 grams potatoes
    23 grams butter (about 2 tbs)
    1/3 cup 1% milk
    plus a little salt and garlic for flavor

Crepes: 4 servings (I ate 3 because I burned one)
    62 grams enriched wheat flour
    49 gram egg (medium sized egg)
    1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

I can make assumptions too.

I ate 3 breadsticks for dinner because I ate a really large snack and my parents surprised me by showing up at my apartment and taking me out to dinner. (and since that's a 2 hour drive for them and they just came to fix my car I couldn't really say "no") I still had 50 grams of protein that day and my daily goal is 60.

I have balanced days and weeks, not necessarily balanced meals because dinner is often the only meal I can eat at home.

Sure, I eat carbs because they're filling, but I also eat a lot of protein throughout most days.

You also have a much higher calorie goal than I do, my protein and carbs are just about on point for the amount of calories I actually consume.

I eat things I enjoy, I am healthy and consistently losing weight. I stay under my calorie goal. I meticulously weigh every single thing I eat.

Frankly, looking at your diary I feel I would be extremely bored with your diet.

The whole point of the original post is that she doesn't like having to worry about what she eats. Dieting is awful and boring, and while I love healthy food I want people to know that you don't have to have "forbidden foods" or be restrictive to lose weight and to be healthy.

I personally don't consider 50-60 grams of protein/day a lot of protein. You might- that's fine.

I eat the way I eat because I have medical conditions that require me to do so. I also eat the way I do because it makes me feel my best and keeps me out of the hospital.

No where have I said that there's anything wrong with incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet. I ALWAYS tell people to eat the foods they enjoy in moderation because eliminating foods leads to binges and yo-yo dieting.

60 grams is enough because my calorie goal is 1200. Your calorie goal appears to be 2000 so more protein is required. It's a ratio, there's NO way I could reach more than MAYBE 70 grams of protein and still stay under my calorie goal.

You're upset because I said your eating was boring, but you eat that way because you have to. So why are you condemning how I eat?

You might be surprised to learn that even though MFP does do macros by percentages, 50g of protein is the absolute minimum you should get no matter how many calories you eat. Even on a medically supervised VLCD, 50g is usually the minimum. Protein grams aren't as affected by how many calories you're allowed as you might think!

There seems to be a lot of arguing for no reason, here. She accepted that she was wrong about your meatloaf and crepes, there was no need to continue the argument by saying she has a skewed view on portion sizes. Truth is that she was right. Most average portions of those foods have a lot more calories than what you said. All she was saying was that you said it was x amount of servings but they were smaller servings than she anticipated.

ANYWAY. OP. Dieting doesn't have to be boring! You can still enjoy treats and fit them in your calories, and there are a lot of fun healthy low cal recipes out there on the internet :)

Isn't the whole reason many people are on MFP is because they don't know what correct portion sizes are? Also, yeah, maybe they're a little lower than a general serving... but when you're trying to lose weight you have to have smaller servings to enjoy some of those foods.

She did NOT except that she was wrong. And she's not right. She has continued to insist that my diet is bad. Yes, 50 grams is an absolute low, but just because I had 50 grams one day doesn't mean I only get that much every day. My goal is set at 60 grams because that is a reasonable amount, unless I eat nothing but eggs and meat there's really no way that I'm going to get much more than that while still staying under 1200 calories a day.

People are on MFP because they are looking to lose, gain, or maintain their weight by CICO.

I know what correct portion sizes are. I weigh every single thing I consume and have been doing so for 2+ years.

The only person who keeps calling your diet bad is you. I never called your diet bad- not once. My only problem with your diet is that 1200 calories is much too low. As another user pointed out, the amount of food you consume is very little and would not be satisfying for many people. Considering you only have 17 more pounds to lose, your deficit is much too large for the weight you have left to lose. Chances are you could eat 1500 calories and still lose weight.

You think I'm being rude- but I'm really just being blunt and upfront with you about your calorie intake.

1200 calories is not "much too low". I gave MFP my information and that's what it gave me... I didn't change it at all. You're right, I could probably lose weight at 1500... but 1200 does it faster. I lose about 1.5 lbs a week. You can't say it's much too low just based on the information you have. You have no idea how tall I am or what my weight is or what my activity level is.

Unless you are a doctor I don't think you can make claims that go against professional software. There's a lot of people on 1200.

1200 calories is in fact too low for you. Many people here will back me up on this.

A weight loss of 1.5 lbs a week is too aggressive for the weight you have to lose (17 lbs according to your profile). Many people will back me up on this, too.

MFP sets EVERY user here calorie goal at 1200- until YOU change it to fit YOUR needs. You act like MFP is a software that magically knows the calories and macros you need for your body- it isn't. You need to enter that yourself.

BTW, weight loss isn't a race. Fast weight loss isn't necessarily good. Slow & steady wins the race.

It's not "too aggressive". No matter how much weight you have to lose, from my research, as long as you're not consistently losing more than 2 lbs a week there's nothing wrong with it.

There is no time limit for how fast or slow you have to lose weight to be successful.

Research and people who have been successful here have determined otherwise :) I know you're young and think you have the answers to everything, but try listening to people who have been there and done that. You might actually learn something.

Sweetie, you don't have your profile public so I don't know how old you are, but from your picture you can't be that much older than me. I've talked to MANY people on here who have confirmed that I am doing what I need to. What I'm doing is working for me. I feel really good, I'm always as full as I need to be, I'm getting the results I'm looking for. It's my body, not yours.

Frankly, I don't care how many people you've talked to who have confirmed eating 1200 calories is safe for you. Obviously those people have no clue what they are talking about and are NOT the people you want to get nutrition advice from. Talk to people who have been successful with weight loss and have kept the weight off, all by eating WAY more than 1200 calories.

Don't be disappointed when you gain all of the weight back plus some due to your desire to lose the weight as fast as possible.

What medical or nutritional degree do you have? 1200 is the RDA minimum for women and is not the default for MFP, but rather the minimum number of safe calories that science shows is acceptable for some women. If you don't agree with MFPs standards, why are you on the website?

I lost 21 lbs at 1200 calories and safely met all my macros and nutrients and am in maintenance with no difficulty.

True this. Also, most of my days are over 1200 anyway, but with exercise I still keep my net under 1200

*Sigh* It's not even worth it

What? It's not worth it to tell someone you don't know and have never seen that they are unhealthy and going to be unsuccessful?

Below are some threads you should take a look at. Maybe then you'll realize that netting under 1200 is not healthy and attempting to lose 1.5 lbs a week when you only have 17 lbs to lose is much too aggressive.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

I'll leave this here as well:

Pound per week goals
    75+ lbs set to lose 2 lb range
    Between 40 - 75 lbs set to lose 1.5 lb range
    Between 25-40 lbs set to lose 1 lb range
    Between 15-25 lbs set to lose 1 -.50 lb range
    Less than 15 lbs set to lose 0.5 lbs range

As you see, you fall into the 0.50 to 1 lb loss per week range :)

Not sure where these guidelines keep coming from. I lost 40+ pounds all the way down to 6 pack abs at a rate of 1.5-1.75 pounds per week with no health problems or loss of muscle. 0.5 pounds a week is pretty much unnecessary and if I had to lose that slow I would probably give up because I wouldn't see any progress for a really long time. My motto for cutting has always been get it done as fast as healthfully possible so you can go to maintenance or a bulk which is where the majority of your time should be spent.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

My diary and logging are for me, I don't mind other people looking at them, but that's how recipes are logged. There's nothing I can do about that. I weigh every single thing I put in my mouth unless I just don't have access to a scale, I am EXTREMELY accurate. I don't really need help as far as what I eat, and if I decided that I needed help I would probably mention in my post that "servings" are either based off a recipe or something actually weighed exactly what the serving size says.

Sorry but 3 servings of 'sweet crepes with strawberry filling' has way more than 309 calories and 39 grams of carbs.

I'm sorry but did you read the rest of my comments? I guarantee all of that is completely accurate.

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Thanks for the recipes! The calorie counts are more believable after seeing the recipes. Each serving is obviously on the small side.

If you think those servings are small then you probably have a very skewed view of how much you should be eating. I can't see how anyone could eat more than 3 crepes with filling. The meatloaf was a total of 210 grams, and the potatoes were about 153 grams. Of course, I ate some other things for dessert... but I honestly wouldn't have eaten more than that even when I wasn't trying to lose weight.

Based on your diary, your diet is mainly comprised of carbs. You eat very little protein from what I can see. For example, crepes would never be satisfying or filling for me because they are made up of entirely carbs and little to no protein. You ate 3 breadsticks for dinner one night… I personally wouldn't call that a dinner. I like well-balanced meals with a similar ratio of carbs, protein, and fat.

I ate 3 breadsticks for dinner because I ate a really large snack and my parents surprised me by showing up at my apartment and taking me out to dinner. (and since that's a 2 hour drive for them and they just came to fix my car I couldn't really say "no") I still had 50 grams of protein that day and my daily goal is 60.

I have balanced days and weeks, not necessarily balanced meals because dinner is often the only meal I can eat at home.

Sure, I eat carbs because they're filling, but I also eat a lot of protein throughout most days.

You also have a much higher calorie goal than I do, my protein and carbs are just about on point for the amount of calories I actually consume.

I eat things I enjoy, I am healthy and consistently losing weight. I stay under my calorie goal. I meticulously weigh every single thing I eat.

Frankly, looking at your diary I feel I would be extremely bored with your diet.

The whole point of the original post is that she doesn't like having to worry about what she eats. Dieting is awful and boring, and while I love healthy food I want people to know that you don't have to have "forbidden foods" or be restrictive to lose weight and to be healthy.

I personally don't consider 50-60 grams of protein/day a lot of protein. You might- that's fine.

I eat the way I eat because I have medical conditions that require me to do so. I also eat the way I do because it makes me feel my best and keeps me out of the hospital.

No where have I said that there's anything wrong with incorporating foods you enjoy into your diet. I ALWAYS tell people to eat the foods they enjoy in moderation because eliminating foods leads to binges and yo-yo dieting.

60 grams is enough because my calorie goal is 1200. Your calorie goal appears to be 2000 so more protein is required. It's a ratio, there's NO way I could reach more than MAYBE 70 grams of protein and still stay under my calorie goal.

You're upset because I said your eating was boring, but you eat that way because you have to. So why are you condemning how I eat?

You might be surprised to learn that even though MFP does do macros by percentages, 50g of protein is the absolute minimum you should get no matter how many calories you eat. Even on a medically supervised VLCD, 50g is usually the minimum. Protein grams aren't as affected by how many calories you're allowed as you might think!

There seems to be a lot of arguing for no reason, here. She accepted that she was wrong about your meatloaf and crepes, there was no need to continue the argument by saying she has a skewed view on portion sizes. Truth is that she was right. Most average portions of those foods have a lot more calories than what you said. All she was saying was that you said it was x amount of servings but they were smaller servings than she anticipated.

ANYWAY. OP. Dieting doesn't have to be boring! You can still enjoy treats and fit them in your calories, and there are a lot of fun healthy low cal recipes out there on the internet :)

That's some US-standard the rest of the world goes meh over. Here in The Netherlands, the guideline is 0.8 grams per kilo body weight. So for me that's ~43 g a day.

I also don't have much to lose as I gained my weight by going just over maintenance pretty much every day with a bag of potato crisps. I cut that out, eat 1200 - 1300 cal as I always used to do naturally and added a work-out every day. I'm not going to take four months to lose 8 lb, tyvm. I just want to drop the weight and get on with my life, minus the crisps. So yes, for me it is a sprint. Stop faulting people who are in a situation different from yours. You have no idea what our situations are like and how our bodies react. I'll trust my doctor and dietitian, if you don't mind, and live happily off of 1200 (plus a bit on heavy exercise days) for two months so I can go back to maintenance at around 1900 calories. Your truth is not universal, okay?

And OP? Restricting sucks. And as much as it's a life style change, it will probably only feel like that once you go into maintenance. All the tools you learned while restricting should help you over indulge then. You can do this!

Your diary shows you consistently net under 1000 calories, but keep telling yourself that.
  • FatFreeFrolicking
    FatFreeFrolicking Posts: 4,252 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Isn't the whole reason many people are on MFP is because they don't know what correct portion sizes are? Also, yeah, maybe they're a little lower than a general serving... but when you're trying to lose weight you have to have smaller servings to enjoy some of those foods.

She did NOT except that she was wrong. And she's not right. She has continued to insist that my diet is bad. Yes, 50 grams is an absolute low, but just because I had 50 grams one day doesn't mean I only get that much every day. My goal is set at 60 grams because that is a reasonable amount, unless I eat nothing but eggs and meat there's really no way that I'm going to get much more than that while still staying under 1200 calories a day.

People are on MFP because they are looking to lose, gain, or maintain their weight by CICO.

I know what correct portion sizes are. I weigh every single thing I consume and have been doing so for 2+ years.

The only person who keeps calling your diet bad is you. I never called your diet bad- not once. My only problem with your diet is that 1200 calories is much too low. As another user pointed out, the amount of food you consume is very little and would not be satisfying for many people. Considering you only have 17 more pounds to lose, your deficit is much too large for the weight you have left to lose. Chances are you could eat 1500 calories and still lose weight.

You think I'm being rude- but I'm really just being blunt and upfront with you about your calorie intake.

1200 calories is not "much too low". I gave MFP my information and that's what it gave me... I didn't change it at all. You're right, I could probably lose weight at 1500... but 1200 does it faster. I lose about 1.5 lbs a week. You can't say it's much too low just based on the information you have. You have no idea how tall I am or what my weight is or what my activity level is.

Unless you are a doctor I don't think you can make claims that go against professional software. There's a lot of people on 1200.

1200 calories is in fact too low for you. Many people here will back me up on this.

A weight loss of 1.5 lbs a week is too aggressive for the weight you have to lose (17 lbs according to your profile). Many people will back me up on this, too.

MFP sets EVERY user here calorie goal at 1200- until YOU change it to fit YOUR needs. You act like MFP is a software that magically knows the calories and macros you need for your body- it isn't. You need to enter that yourself.

BTW, weight loss isn't a race. Fast weight loss isn't necessarily good. Slow & steady wins the race.

It's not "too aggressive". No matter how much weight you have to lose, from my research, as long as you're not consistently losing more than 2 lbs a week there's nothing wrong with it.

There is no time limit for how fast or slow you have to lose weight to be successful.

Research and people who have been successful here have determined otherwise :) I know you're young and think you have the answers to everything, but try listening to people who have been there and done that. You might actually learn something.

Sweetie, you don't have your profile public so I don't know how old you are, but from your picture you can't be that much older than me. I've talked to MANY people on here who have confirmed that I am doing what I need to. What I'm doing is working for me. I feel really good, I'm always as full as I need to be, I'm getting the results I'm looking for. It's my body, not yours.

Frankly, I don't care how many people you've talked to who have confirmed eating 1200 calories is safe for you. Obviously those people have no clue what they are talking about and are NOT the people you want to get nutrition advice from. Talk to people who have been successful with weight loss and have kept the weight off, all by eating WAY more than 1200 calories.

What medical or nutritional degree do you have? 1200 is the RDA minimum for women and is not the default for MFP, but rather the minimum number of safe calories that science shows is acceptable for some women. If you don't agree with MFPs standards, why are you on the website?

I lost 21 lbs at 1200 calories and safely met all my macros and nutrients and am in maintenance with no difficulty.

True this. Also, most of my days are over 1200 anyway, but with exercise I still keep my net under 1200

What? It's not worth it to tell someone you don't know and have never seen that they are unhealthy and going to be unsuccessful?

Below are some threads you should take a look at. Maybe then you'll realize that netting under 1200 is not healthy and attempting to lose 1.5 lbs a week when you only have 17 lbs to lose is much too aggressive.

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/819055/setting-your-calorie-and-macro-targets/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1080242/a-guide-to-get-you-started-on-your-path-to-sexypants/p1

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/1318741/in-5-weeks-youll-lose-10lbs-why-is-it-not-working/p1

Pound per week goals

Not sure where these guidelines keep coming from. I lost 40+ pounds all the way down to 6 pack abs at a rate of 1.5-1.75 pounds per week with no health problems or loss of muscle. 0.5 pounds a week is pretty much unnecessary and if I had to lose that slow I would probably give up because I wouldn't see any progress for a really long time. My motto for cutting has always been get it done as fast as healthfully possible so you can go to maintenance or a bulk which is where the majority of your time should be spent.

Sorry but you most certainly lost some muscle. It's close to impossible to lose body fat but not muscle. Muscle loss is inevitable.
  • galgenstrick
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Pound per week goals

Sorry but you most certainly lost some muscle. It's close to impossible to lose body fat but not muscle. Muscle loss is inevitable.

For the experienced weight lifter yes. For people like me who have not done it before, no.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

That's some US-standard the rest of the world goes meh over. Here in The Netherlands, the guideline is 0.8 grams per kilo body weight. So for me that's ~43 g a day.

I also don't have much to lose as I gained my weight by going just over maintenance pretty much every day with a bag of potato crisps. I cut that out, eat 1200 - 1300 cal as I always used to do naturally and added a work-out every day. I'm not going to take four months to lose 8 lb, tyvm. I just want to drop the weight and get on with my life, minus the crisps. So yes, for me it is a sprint. Stop faulting people who are in a situation different from yours. You have no idea what our situations are like and how our bodies react. I'll trust my doctor and dietitian, if you don't mind, and live happily off of 1200 (plus a bit on heavy exercise days) for two months so I can go back to maintenance at around 1900 calories. Your truth is not universal, okay?

And OP? Restricting sucks. And as much as it's a life style change, it will probably only feel like that once you go into maintenance. All the tools you learned while restricting should help you over indulge then. You can do this!

Your diary shows you consistently net under 1000 calories, but keep telling yourself that.

Why do you keep attacking people?
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Where did I say that caloric count was 'net'? And I don't buy the burn on my exercise for one minute, so my net is probably higher as well. Eat when hungry, stop when full. Repeat.
  • galgenstrick
    edited July 2015
    Options

Sure:
    208 grams ground beef
    70 grams white onion
    5 grams shredded carrot

231 grams potatoes
    1/3 cup 1% milk

1/4 cup 1% milk
    1/4 cup water
    a tiny bit of salt
    12 grams butter
    3 grams raw sugar

Pound per week goals

I think it depends on your goal also. My initial goal weight was still in the overweight category (by about 5 pounds). It was much easier for me to lose the last 20 pounds that I wished to lose than it would have been for somebody already at the top of normal range wishing to get to the bottom of normal range. I also think it depends on your maintenance calories/TDEE. I have an active job and am in maintenance. My TDEE is 2600. I don't think I would have trouble losing a pound a week for ten more pounds, if I so wished, without harming myself.

Exactly, there's no one size fits all chart for how fast you need to lose weight. It's up to the individual and their goals. But you can sure lose a lot faster than 0.5 pounds a week safely and sustainably, even if you only have 10 pounds to lose.
  • Nerdycurls
    Nerdycurls Posts: 143 Member
    Options
    triciab79 wrote: »
    Diets do not need to be sustainable to be effective

There's a problem with "diets." It's not about dieting; it should be about a healthy, permanent lifestyle change. We've all heard "diets"-- the Beyonce diet, the cabbage soup diet, the cleanse diet, what have you. The problem here is none of these are actually sustainable because people want to be able to eat like a normal person. Like the OP. No one wants to restrict themselves to the point where they can't have a piece of cake at a birthday party, or enjoy a half glass of champagne at a wedding or can't go out to dinner with friends on the weekends. This is what a dieting mentality does. None of these things are sustainable, which is why people gain the weight right back.