The keys to MY success!

Options

Replies

• melo78
    melo78 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Great advice and awesome job! :) Thanks for sharing!!!
  • taranmisty
    taranmisty Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank yo uso much for your solid words of encouragement and support. I CAN DO THIS!!. Thanks for sharing.
  • FK1983
    FK1983 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Superb post and more importantly WELL DONE! :)
  • RaeLynn_3
    RaeLynn_3 Posts: 22
    Options
    WOW!! THAT IS SOME GREAT ADVISE!! THANK YOU SOOO MUCH FOR POSTING THIS!! ALOT OF GOOD INFO. AND MOTIVATION!
  • teeley
    teeley Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    bump!!! great post, amazing motivation for anyone at any point in their journey
  • twinlikeme
    twinlikeme Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    how amazing! :) this is an incredible success story!
  • DeeDeeLHF
    DeeDeeLHF Posts: 2,301 Member
    Options
    this is just soooo good, I had to bump it again!\
    Tammy is such an inspiration!
  • Sammybunny711
    Sammybunny711 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    That's a very inspirational and encouraging post! Congratulations on your success!
  • blackchick41bb
    Options
    this the best real info i have read
  • 4jenniferk
    4jenniferk Posts: 307 Member
    Options
    Great use-able advice..... I appreciate you taking the time to share your knowledge with us all. I think a career in nutrition is right up your alley.
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options
    great advice and congrats on your life change!
  • kariannk
    kariannk Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    i try to remember that everyone is different and different things work for different people, but i love reading what everyone else does because sometimes those tips work for me too. so thanks for sharing
  • myvenus
    myvenus Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    This has got to be the most helpful, most valuable posts, thank you so very much for this! Thank you for taking the time to type this and care so much. I agree with everything you said 100% and this helps to read from time to time for ALL of us. And Congratulations to you. I want to add you as a friend..............:flowerforyou:
  • RENAEJAE
    RENAEJAE Posts: 1,136 Member
    Options
    I agree with everything you said and it's so reasuring to know that what I'm doing is going to continue to work. I will reach my goal and join MFP's Success Stories thread when I do! ~ thanks
  • TriumphNow
    TriumphNow Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Great post! Thank you for taking the time to share :)
  • anulle2009
    anulle2009 Posts: 580 Member
    Options
    I posted this on another thread of mine but it got kind of lost..and I wanted to make sure those that wanted advice from me were able to find it.

I have gotten a lot of emails asking how I did it. My life has been all sorts of hectic lately..but I wanted to respond! I am not an expert by any means. I just know what worked for me and I didn't suffer or starve either. I do want to educate myself further and pursue nutrition as a career though.

Honestly, when I started in September of 2007...the thought of all the weight I had to lose was SO daunting. And I had lost weight before but didn't do it the right way. So, I had a 9 month old son (at the time) and was huffing and puffing and had no energy. Also, my mother and maternal grandmother died young. (my mom was 50 and my grandmother was 49). So, I just said "Ok,, if I am going to do this, it has to be done a way I haven't done it before.). That started my "Take it a day at a time" approach.

I slowly started to make changes and ease into a new way of living. I didn't put pressure on myself to know how to do everything overnight. When you do that, you burn out and give up. I just made one change (like cut calories)...then once I got used to doing that and counting them...I started paying closer attention to where the calories were coming from. Once I got used to that, I started paying attention to the specifics...fat, fiber, sodium, etc. I also eased into exercise. I started doing what I could do..maybe 20 minutes on the elliptical...and slowly worked up. Again, I didn't want to burn out.

Also, if you are on this site, you have internet access. There is SO much information out there. I love Web MD, etc..for articles. And I love Cooking Light.com for recipes. Just search for whatever information you are seeking and it's most likely out there. Just make sure it's a legit website.

I started to pay attention to how food affected me. I would see how whole grains, lean protein, good fats, etc..would keep me "fueled" and going longer than other things. It kept my blood sugar level and kept me satisfied. And let's face it. If we are feeling satisfied, we aren't as likely to overeat.

For example, a whole-grain english muffin, with egg whites, a bit of 2% shredded cheddar and a little salsa....would keep me going. Then maybe a banana mid-morning. I was barely hungry by 1:00...sometimes 2:00!! If I ate a sugary cereal, I'd be hungry in an hour.

Get out of that "fat-free" frame of mind. I was doing it. Fat free cheese chicken breast only. I finally understood that fat is just as important to our diet as anything else. They are called "essential fats" for a reason. I started doing 2% and having chicken THIGHS sometimes. I also ate plenty of peanut butter. And guess what? I still lost the weight. You don't gain weight by eating too much fat. You gain weight by eating too much of ANYTHING. It's just about being sensible.

One thing I had read early on is that one of the traits of naturally thin people is that they do have fun and do have junk and fun foods. They just don't do it every day. For some reason, as simple of a concept as that is...I had never felt confident that I could be that way. I was always afraid that one night of fun would lead to me going back to that way of living every day. I decided to take on that challenge! I started my "Journey" in Sept of 2007. I enjoyed holiday foods and fun stuff once in awhile. And sure, my loss that week might not have been great and I may have even maintained....BUT...I just kept on going. Didn't let it get me down. And sure enough, I kept on losing and doing my thing. And every time I did enjoy some fun foods, etc...and got back on track the next day, my confidence increased and I realized it didn't have to be all or nothing. Now obviously that isn't going to work for everyone. You just need to find what YOU think you can do. If you aren't at that place yet...then wait until you are.

Now, regarding calories. I NEVER ate as low as 1200. The lowest I got was 1400 on non-gym days. And when I worked out, I ate at least half of them back. That was at least 4 days that I was eating A LOT. And by eating foods that would fuel me, even the 1400 cal days were fine. It's all about WHAT you are eating. Fiber is your friend. Women should have at least 25 g a day and men should have at least 30. And fiber is what keeps you feeling full. It makes it easy to put your fork down and push your plate away saying "ugh!! I'm stuffed!!!" haha!

Basically, it's a trial and error deal. Everyone is different. You need to figure out the right combo of food and exercise that will work for YOUR body. But give yourself that time to experiment a bit and find out. And realize that you don't have to starve and suffer to do this. I didn't! And the best thing is when you are out, enjoying yourself...eating junk once in awhile, there are those that like to be petty and say "Ohhh, she's going back to her old ways"....but it is YOU that will have the last laugh when you continue to lose weight and be healthy ANYWAY..and they sit there

Exercise. I started at 20 min on the elliptical, level 3. I slowly worked up. When it started to feel too easy, I would add 5 min and bump it up a level. Now, I easily do over an hour at level 19. When exercise starts to feel too easy, it means your body isn't working as hard. So, if you hit a plateau, it can be as simple as switching something up in your routine. Maybe hop on the bike instead or treadmill or do Wii....or try some zumba classes. Keep your body guessing.

Weighing. I weighed once a week. On Thursday morning, naked. :) It was a good day for me. If there is going to be a time when you are going to eat "out of the norm" stuff, it is the weekend. And even if you stay in your calories...sodium can wreak havoc on the scale. By giving yourself a few days to get it out of your system...you are going to have a more accurate weigh-in. BUT, the scale is a horrible way to determine success. It's just not a good way to tell how you're doing. Every little thing can make you gain or lose. And it just messes with your head.

Water. I drink at least 72 ounces a day. Generally more. I start my day with 24 ounces. I sip it while making coffee and doing a few things. I basically earn my cup of coffee by getting the water down first. And it sort of set the tone for the day. And not only does it help you feel full (when you think you're hungry), but it gives you an energy boost and makes your skin glow. Sometimes in the afternoon, an apple and a bottle of water is all it takes to give you energy, satisfy you and keep you going until dinner.

Get creative. Learn new recipes. Try new things you might not think you'll like. By branching out, you will stay interested and not get so bored with the same old thing. That being said, having certain staples around is helpful. Find what you like, keep it around but don't be afraid to try other things. I know people who said "What is hummus??"..who ended up "OMG, I LOOOVE it!!" It's a good source of protein too. ;)

Most importantly....give yourself a break. Don't put such high expectations on yourself to be perfect right away or not to mess up or do something you wish you didn't. The important thing is to not let it derail you. Just say "Ok..that's ONE day..not my life. I've got this!" Also, take it a day or week at a time. Don't focus on the bigger picture so much. Focus on the small, healthy losses. Trust me, they add up much faster than you think they will.

If you ease into this, give yourself a break, educate yourself on food, exercise, metabolism, body chemistry....pay attention to your body and just be sensible...this can become as normal to your day as brushing your teeth.

Hope this was helpful! :flowerforyou:
    -Tam

THANK YOU SO MUCH!! THIS IS TOTALLY WHAT I NEEDED TODAY!
  • widmar
    widmar Posts: 72
    Options
    Thank you OP for sharing. What a motivation. I have been having a hard time, so this was sooooo perfect for me to read today.
    THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!!
  • pearlie_Q
    pearlie_Q Posts: 2
    Options
    Thank you for the post! its very inspiring and very very helpful ! =):smile: Thank you very much!
  • swheeler86
    swheeler86 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Bump to read tomorrow!
  • TamTastic
    TamTastic Posts: 19,224 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the bump DeeDee! :)

And thanks everyone!! Your responses make me feel great! I really love knowing it helps!!

Best of luck to all of you! :)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!