HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Wow everyone looks amazing!! Its probably already been asked a few times but can you still achieve these results using weight machines?

@Songbirdie90 any form of resistance training is a good idea. These results are because we kept as much muscle as we could while losing fat and that's why resistance training is a good idea

I personally don't use machines as I do prefer the free weights.

The free weights do help more so than machines because it forces you to use your stabilizer muscles such as your core where as machines don't.
  • orchidee1987
    orchidee1987 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Great work ladies :)
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    raregem99 wrote: »
    lifting will broaden a woman's shoulders. So if she already has shoulders too broad for her liking, obviously she wouldn't want to do clean snatches with 100 lbs.

I don't think this is true. Lifting may add some muscle to your shoulders, but it can't make your skeleton wider.

The thing that people disregard when they get all freaked out about how bulky lifting is going to make them is that your muscles don't show unless you're flexing. You just look slim and "tight." At least that's been my experience.
  • scrittrice
    scrittrice Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Wow everyone looks amazing!! Its probably already been asked a few times but can you still achieve these results using weight machines?

@Songbirdie90 any form of resistance training is a good idea. These results are because we kept as much muscle as we could while losing fat and that's why resistance training is a good idea

I personally don't use machines as I do prefer the free weights.

The free weights do help more so than machines because it forces you to use your stabilizer muscles such as your core where as machines don't.

What she said. Machines are better than nothing, but the results I've gotten with a barbell are much more striking than anything that ever happened with dumbbells and machines. YMMV, of course.
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    raregem99 wrote: »
    lifting will broaden a woman's shoulders. So if she already has shoulders too broad for her liking, obviously she wouldn't want to do clean snatches with 100 lbs.

I don't agree with this at all. I've been lifting for 4 years (took a year off in the middle, cos baby) and I think its actually fixed my posture so I think I stand differently and hold myself differently - I don't think it has made my shoulders more broad - plus I've gone down from a large to a small in tops so, ya know....
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    jushsfw0v4hz.jpg
    Been lifting heavy for well over a year. Lostv54 lbs and 70+ inches :)

RESPECT!! Great results.

• getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    oldsoul918 wrote: »
    I absolutely love this thread and finally feel confident enough to share my pics. Started out somewhere slightly north of 150. I don't have any pics of me at that weight. My stats: 36 years old, 5'4" or so. In my before pic I weigh right around 130 lbs and had lost 20ish pounds by changing my eating habits and incorporating lots of cardio. I was happy to have lost weight, but still not happy with how my body looked.

Then I found the weight room, started lifting heavy and that changed everything! Now I weigh about 112 lbs. I love lifting, I love how I feel and how my body looks, and I love being strong....they'll roll my cold, dead body out of the weight room before I ever give it up :wink:

Fingers crossed the pics show up... :D

zc1lnnvq5909.jpg
    pulcv4rmd2hn.jpg
    n73o87pcuu1b.jpg
    mx4yauu74tzi.pnge447m4vke7qn.jpg

Wow you look great! I look similar to your before pic right now...I guess I know what I need to do!!

@oldsoul91 you better quit the bulk is too much. Great job!!
  • kristinels
    kristinels Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    @fanncy0626 - you look fantastic! Very inspirational to see that being over 40 doesn't mean you can't get 'bulky' ;) Lol!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,130 Member
    Options
    kristinels wrote: »
    @fanncy0626 - you look fantastic! Very inspirational to see that being over 40 doesn't mean you can't get 'bulky' ;) Lol!

Thank You! At my age I would encourage even ladies in their 60's and older to give weight lifting a try. I have broken remodeled vertebrae, disc bulges and facet joint rubs and since weight lifting I am not bothered by any chronic back pain! I can testify that it helps improve back and bone health!
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I get so tired of hearing women use "getting bluky" as an excuse to jusitfy their 2.5 lbs dumbbells.

If this is your fear:
    world+women+bodybuilder+photo+(7).jpg

Then you should not avoid this:
    14157959-fitness-woman-concentrating-on-lifting-heavy-weight-in-gym.jpg

But rather, avoid this:
    steroids1-300x266.jpg

I admire all the woman who have posted the before and after pictures. You are an inspiration to me and others!

THANK YOU!

^^^ this
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    Bump!
  • slinke2014
    slinke2014 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    I am 57 years old. I have no idea how much I weigh now. I last weighed around 142 and my goal weight is 125. I got down to 135lbs and was a size 10. Then March 1, 2015 I started doing strong lift 5x5. I then lost 17 inches and am now a size 5-7 depending on fit. I also went from doing 21 to 24 hours of cardio every week to ZERO I only do strong lift 5x5 for an hour every other day. I also changed from eating 1260 calories to 1600 +. I started lifting with a 12.5 lb bar and now lift 109 lbs squat, 100lb sumo squat, bench 83lbs, barbell row 89lbs, over head press 62lbs, and deadlift 137lbs.
    m2w419uvfqn5.jpg
    nbh0nyqtuhwb.jpg

wow wow wow. I have always loved heavy lifting and posts like this make me even more motivated. I just want to say thanks to all the awesome ladies who shared. So friggin awesome. all of you!
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    You look like Jamie Alexander in the second pic!
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,130 Member
    Options
    slinke2014 wrote: »

wow wow wow. I have always loved heavy lifting and posts like this make me even more motivated. I just want to say thanks to all the awesome ladies who shared. So friggin awesome. all of you!

Thank you! I owe a huge thanks to all of the ladies that posted on here for my sucess! This thread is what motivated me to get my squat rack and start heavy lifting. The pictures of before and after was proof of what I had to look forward to. I wanted to look like that, I wanted results like that, I wanted muscle tone like that. The truth is that I worked my butt off all my life doing cardio and got fat, fat, fat! I did 3 months of strong lifts 5 x 5 and loss 24 inches and can eat normal. And I look really good naked!
  • slideaway1
    slideaway1 Posts: 1,006 Member
    Options
    Wow, just found this thread. Amazing transformations. Keep working hard everybody.
  • boogiewookie
    boogiewookie Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    fk6yx2.jpg

lifting has made me huuuuuuuuge! haha! it drives me crazy when women are so scared to lift and get "bulky." I was bulky before when I didn't workout at all and ate everything in sight. I haven't been training for long and still have a long way to go but I'm.happy with the progress I've made so far. I'm sure most ppl won't consider my weights "heavy" but every lift is more than double what I started with
    (approx 1rm) squat:185, deadlift:200, bench:115-120
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    fk6yx2.jpg

(approx 1rm) squat:185, deadlift:200, bench:115-120

Are you kidding, those are GREAT numbers!!! Congratulations, you are rocking those weights!!!

Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!