Magnificant Mama (Closed Group) May 2011

Options

Replies

• ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    Mel – I forgot about Aldi’s. One was just opened right down the road from me. The only other one we have is in center city and I was not impressed the few times I was there. Hopefully this one will be better (i.e. cleaner).

Anne – yea for a healthy baby! I always look forward to my appointments so that we can hear the heart beat.

I don’t have too much of an option on vaccines, I have to do daycare and they won’t accept her unless she’s up to date on all the shots. But I was vaccinated for everything under the sun and get the flu shot ever year and I’ve never had a problem.

I get a lunch and 2 breaks at work so I don’t think I should have a problem with being able to pump enough, but I never though about where’d I store the milk until I go home. Hummmm.........
  • LittleSpy
    LittleSpy Posts: 6,754 Member
    Options
    My breast pump came with an insulated lunch box type thing and an ice pack. I figured I'd just go with that but add another ice pack or 2 to ensure it stays cool enough. The mini fridge does sound like a good idea. I hadn't thought about having to wash the pumping stuff (probably something I wouldn't have considered until I actually got myself into that situation) but if I pump in my car, I'll have to bring the milk back inside anyway since it's much warmer than room temp 'round these parts for a good 8 months of the year. I guess I don't see any problem (in *theory!* :laugh:) with throwing the breast shields into a washable baggie & bringing them back in with me to wash in the sink. I just know I hate even going to the bathroom to pee because I apparently work with a bunch of children who can't clean up after themselves. That bathroom is shared by probably 75-100 women and there are 6-7 stalls and almost always someone in there getting paid to take a big smelly dump. :sick:

I should just make everyone super uncomfortable and pump under a cover in my cubicle. :laugh:
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    My breast pump came with an insulated lunch box type thing and an ice pack. I figured I'd just go with that but add another ice pack or 2 to ensure it stays cool enough. The mini fridge does sound like a good idea. I hadn't thought about having to wash the pumping stuff (probably something I wouldn't have considered until I actually got myself into that situation) but if I pump in my car, I'll have to bring the milk back inside anyway since it's much warmer than room temp 'round these parts for a good 8 months of the year. I guess I don't see any problem (in *theory!* :laugh:) with throwing the breast shields into a washable baggie & bringing them back in with me to wash in the sink. I just know I hate even going to the bathroom to pee because I apparently work with a bunch of children who can't clean up after themselves. That bathroom is shared by probably 75-100 women and there are 6-7 stalls and almost always someone in there getting paid to take a big smelly dump. :sick:

I should just make everyone super uncomfortable and pump under a cover in my cubicle. :laugh:

I have the cooler thing and my milk stays perfect during the ride home. The fridge was just over $70 at walmart. I find that it is easier for me to eat also with my fridge there rather than going down the hall and up the stairs to the creepy employee lounge that is never used unless we are having birthday cake. But hey I am all for making people uncomfortable, I walk to the bathroom from my office with my breast shields in my hand so if someone is stalking me than good for them and their free show :laugh:
  • ckmama
    ckmama Posts: 1,668 Member
    Options
    Jamie, Katrina, and other mamas - what is the normal amount of shots given at their 2 month appointment, and what are they for? Assuming there is no modified schedule...

Logan got the same thing Haley did. The oral with 2 shots in 1 leg and 1 in teh other. They make you wait 15 mins afterwards to see if there is an immediate reaction.
  • ckmama
    Options
    Sheri my husband felt the same way about prolonging it.

The Hep B vaccine is the one they give them at birth...well the first dose. I mean they gave it to Logan immediatly. Then PKU and Blood sugar test. They had to check him 2 more times for blood sugar because he was over 9 lbs.
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the pumping info. I am not really sure what I am going to do but If I feed before work, pump at lunch and pump or feed as soon as the day is over that is almost every 3 hours (3.5 maybe)… I guess I will just have to see how it works.

I am not too worried about vaccines but I need to do more research before making my decision. I will be doing daycare too so I am sure they have some regulations to look into.

4 shots at 2 months, how sad!
  • dragonfly74
    dragonfly74 Posts: 1,382 Member
    Options
    I pump 3-4 oz 4 times at work. I also pump B4 I leave if she hasn't eaten in the last 2 hrs so I do have a surplus.

sometimes I think my pump isn't right for me. we were just out and I haven't nursed in 4 hrs. I am engorged and omly pump 3 ozs from one side and only 1 oz from the other and still feel full (and still spilling over me bra). but if I was to nurse now (he is sleeping unfortunately) he would still get plenty from me. pumping just isn't my friend. :(
  • carina73
    carina73 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    pumping was never my friend either. In the beginning I could get 3-4 oz TOTAL from both breasts. I rented a hospital grade Ameda. (LOVE IT) but i have large breasts and the flange wasn't suited for me. (even got the XL flange) Hand expressing never worked either. I was able to stock up EBM (expressed breast milk) but DS wouldn't touch a bottle. :ohwell:

I just learned to BF in public. I was never approached or made to feel uncomfortable. ETA: my mom was a bit uncomfortable about me "flashing" them but I pointed out that you really couldn't see anything unless you stuck your nose in my business. Latching and de-latching might have been a show, but whatever. who doesn't know what a nipple looks like? :laugh:

so *WHEN* I have another baby, i'll do whatever makes me comfortable. I might try my Avent manual or buy the Avent Isys IQ. but I'm not worried.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    Thanks Carina! I breastfed my last baby in public and have yet to do so with this little guy who turned 7 wks yesterday. Not sure what my hold up is this time around.
  • Soon2Bfitmamaof3
    Soon2Bfitmamaof3 Posts: 1,911 Member
    Options
    I breast feed everywhere and anywhere. I wear a cami under everything so I can pull up my top and still be fully covered from behind and ofcourse I use a cover. I made my own super ghetto cover lol I put a bedsheet keeper on a blanket. It gives me full coverage which I couldn't get from the ones in the store and mil made us like 25 blankets so I change it once or twice a week and always have a clean spare. I wouldn't flash anyone intentionally but if they stare while I get her under and out from the cover than that's their issue becuz I am doing everthing I can to be modest about it IMO
  • ckmama
    Options
    Thanks ladies for the pumping info. I am not really sure what I am going to do but If I feed before work, pump at lunch and pump or feed as soon as the day is over that is almost every 3 hours (3.5 maybe)… I guess I will just have to see how it works.

I am not too worried about vaccines but I need to do more research before making my decision. I will be doing daycare too so I am sure they have some regulations to look into.

4 shots at 2 months, how sad!
    '
    No only 3 shots and 1 oral med for the Rota virus. That is new, my 8 year old didn't have that.
  • dragonfly74
    Options
    currently I get to pump in the truck! so disappointed, this "magic museum" we are at has family bathrooms which are huge. but do they have a seat or a bench in them to sit and nurse? no.
  • mwilson1018
    mwilson1018 Posts: 509 Member
    Options
    currently I get to pump in the truck! so disappointed, this "magic museum" we are at has family bathrooms which are huge. but do they have a seat or a bench in them to sit and nurse? no.

How frustrating!

I had some breast milk in the fridge yesterday that I needed to use up so DH gave her two bottles yesterday..well we had company so of course I wasn't thinking about pumping. I missed two feedings and was seriously feeling it!! I was so engorged and even leaked through my shirt...luckily none of the men that were there saw it! lol I pumped when they left and got 5 oz from one breast in about 5 minutes...and was still full. THEN Annabelle slept until 7 this morning (from 11-7..she's such an awesome sleeper) and I was engorged again...whew!

She was 6 weeks on Thursday and weighs 12.2 lbs...today she is wearing a 3-6 month onesie... :noway:

I definitely need some encouragement on the exercise front! Well, my eating is still no good, but usually when I start exercising I will eat better because I don't wnat to ruin all of my hard work. I need to get it in gear! My goal was to me back to my pre-pregnancy weight and even more before I return back to school on August 4. That gives me about 2 months...I would love to lose 20 lbs, but I don't think that's reasonable for that amount of time. If I shoot for 1 lb a week that will only be 8 lbs...BUT will probably build some muscle if I'm working out. Just trying to think about reasonable goals...don't want to set myself up for failure...
  • AnneElise
    AnneElise Posts: 4,221 Member
    Options
    [I definitely need some encouragement on the exercise front! Well, my eating is still no good, but usually when I start exercising I will eat better because I don't wnat to ruin all of my hard work. I need to get it in gear! My goal was to me back to my pre-pregnancy weight and even more before I return back to school on August 4. That gives me about 2 months...I would love to lose 20 lbs, but I don't think that's reasonable for that amount of time. If I shoot for 1 lb a week that will only be 8 lbs...BUT will probably build some muscle if I'm working out. Just trying to think about reasonable goals...don't want to set myself up for failure...

Exercise makes me eat better as well. Do you have someone who can be a workout partner with you? Its great that you are setting realistic goals, that way you can loose in a healthy way. You can do this!!!

AFM: My DH and Sister tiled our kitchen today, it looks amazing. I had a a really poor nights sleep and ended up letting myself get way too dehydrated today so I just felt terrible. I just chugged some cold water and ate a bunch of fruit and feel a bit better.
  • hkystar
    hkystar Posts: 1,290 Member
    Options
    Anne - make sure you are taking care of yourself!

Today we went out on my sister's boat. I had a great time. I walked up and down the beach to get some exercise. We did a little shopping post beach trip. I got my bed-side sleeper! So now we have everything I had wanted to have pre-baby. Last few things left for us is finishing the nursery.
  • AMummysLife
    AMummysLife Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Hey ladies. I think my MS is starting to settle down and ease off (yay!).

Haven't had a chance to catch up yet but I will soon.
  • LynnW52
    LynnW52 Posts: 1,151 Member
    Options
    Hello everyone, hope all is going well!

Megan - I think 1lb a week is a very realistic goal, and I think you'll end up losing more.

I love hearing you guys talk about breastfeeding and the day to day things going on with your babies. It gives me a lot of confidence that - even though there are challenging times/days - it is possible! I feel so lucky to have you all for support!

Gonna go to my mother in law's for a cookout today and to the park later once the heat lets up. Back to the grind tomorrow :grumble:
  • ron2282
    ron2282 Posts: 2,772 Member
    Options
    I don’t think there’s anything wrong with breastfeeding in public and I never understood why some people get so upset about it. But right now I’m not sure I can see myself doing it. However, I’m sure that will change once Kathryn is here. When a baby needs to eat, she needs to eat.

Megan – it’s always so much easier to stay on track with eating when I exercise on a regular basis. It helps me that two of the ladies I work with walk with me on our lunch break and hubby comes with me after dinner. It’s so much harder to say no when you know that others plan on exercising with you. Oh, any my nephew was already in 6-9 months clothing at 6 weeks! :noway:

Hubby’s cousin will be here in less than 2 hours and I’m still sitting at the computer in just a t-shirt…....I better get moving! :laugh: Hope everyone is having a great weekend!
  • ckmama
    Options

How frustrating!

I had some breast milk in the fridge yesterday that I needed to use up so DH gave her two bottles yesterday..well we had company so of course I wasn't thinking about pumping. I missed two feedings and was seriously feeling it!! I was so engorged and even leaked through my shirt...luckily none of the men that were there saw it! lol I pumped when they left and got 5 oz from one breast in about 5 minutes...and was still full. THEN Annabelle slept until 7 this morning (from 11-7..she's such an awesome sleeper) and I was engorged again...whew!

She was 6 weeks on Thursday and weighs 12.2 lbs...today she is wearing a 3-6 month onesie... :noway:

I definitely need some encouragement on the exercise front! Well, my eating is still no good, but usually when I start exercising I will eat better because I don't wnat to ruin all of my hard work. I need to get it in gear! My goal was to me back to my pre-pregnancy weight and even more before I return back to school on August 4. That gives me about 2 months...I would love to lose 20 lbs, but I don't think that's reasonable for that amount of time. If I shoot for 1 lb a week that will only be 8 lbs...BUT will probably build some muscle if I'm working out. Just trying to think about reasonable goals...don't want to set myself up for failure...

I am right there with you on the motivation to exercise. Even though I am at home it seems I am so lazy. I either do housework or take care of logan, or sit in front of the computer. I've been having to force myself to do any type of exercise.

I'm going to make a commitment to get in at least 30 mins of exercise a day, starting today. I was doing really well, but the heat down here has become oppressive outside and I'm not ready to take Logan to the gym daycare yet. So I will have to do something else. But I'm going to do it.

I was hoping to be only 10 lbs from pre-preg weight by my birthday in a month...but I've actually gained 5 lbs from my lowest 6 weeks ago. I've been eating too much. Today's a new day though.
  • tahmed
    tahmed Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I am hoping to get my OK to get back to exercising at my 6 week follow up, which is this Thursday. Has anyone tried Kettlebells? My B-day is coming up, and I was thinking of asking for either freeweights or kettlebells. Anyone have thoughts?

Ethan is struggling with colic! He spends about 6-8 hours a day just crying and crying. The dr. has given us some tips, like Mylicon, Children's Tylenol, Gripe Water, and cutting dairy out of my diet, but does anyone else have any suggestions? I am really starting to get stressed out with all the crying, and it makes it so I feel like a prisioner in my own home!