When you SHOULDN'T count calories

Options

Replies

• Karmyeboo
    Karmyeboo Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    tomatoey wrote: »
    To me, it sounds like you're creating problems before they even happen, IF they in fact will happen at all. Like worrying about anorexia etc. when you've never even been in this headspace.

I used to be against using a food scale and weighing every little thing I eat because I saw it as obsessive. But here I am weighing my food and counting my calories, and I quite enjoy it, and I am far from obsessive about it.

The bottom line is, I wanted to lose weight and you gotta do what you gotta do...

You can continue to use excuses why you cant do this or that, or you can put your head down and bum up and just do it!
    This may sound harsh, but there are a million and one threads on here filled with excuses..

Having a history of anxiety and obsessive tendencies is a solid reason to not choose calorie counting as a method of monitoring food intake - they don't always go well together. And counting calories and weighing your food really isn't the only way to lose weight, despite what many on this site believe.

I agree 100% despite what many people believe on this site, loosing weight without calorie counting IS possible and i am proof of that.

OP, 2 years ago I lost 36lbs by changing my diet,intuitive eating and exercise. I didn't count a single thing, this time however I am trying out calorie counting :).

I honestly believe that the way to master this is to stick to whole foods only, eliminating ALL addictive junk foods, once you've done this for a week or do the CRAVINGS will go! This makes sticking to whole foods, vegetables especially which are low in calories but are filling, so much easier and therefore you can loose weight .

This way you eat at a natural deficit by sticking to good wholesome foods and listening to your bodies hunger cues, which is also what you will get in tune with whilst eliminating all the nasties.

Yes I know there is a cold turkey vs moderation debate in terms of junk food but personally I believe this works and if you don't want to count calories this could work for you too.
    Good luck! :)
  • 47Jacqueline
    47Jacqueline Posts: 6,993 Member
    Options
    I'm a numbers person, so I like to see things add up over a day. But if it's an issue that's getting in your way, there's always Weight Watchers.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Read either this:

Lean Habits

this:

Racing Weight

or this:

Ditching Diets
  • richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    3 things have worked decently for me when not calorie counting:
    1) Study up on nutrient dense, relatively low-calorie food that is satiating (like most vegetables and lean meats) and make them the vast majority of your diet. This tends to lead to a low-fat diet though, so make sure you are getting ample dietary fat.
    2) Avoid snacking, eat only 3 or 4 meals per day, and stop eating at each meal before you feel full.
    3) Keto or very low-carb diet. This kills your appetite and limits the amount of hyper-palatable processed foods you can consume.

If you are the obsessive type, maybe consider picking up a new sport and train hard to get good at it. Good luck.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    Can you count one macro? Could you count something like your protein grams?

Have you tried IF? A form of 16:8 might work for your lifestyle if you combine it with sensible choices when you do eat.
  • w734q672
    w734q672 Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    This is America, do whatever the F((k you want.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on calorie counting. I know I won't do it for the rest of my life. I never even wanted to do it for the rest of my life.

I'm working on learning to eat. I plan to be able to eat a healthy, balanced diet without the aid of an app.

Frankly, I don't think anyone will count forever. They're going to get sick of weighing every little bite they take. At some point, they'll stop. Maybe I'm wrong and some really will be counting calories for life. I could be wrong.

It's a great crutch, but it's not something I will want to do forever.

I want to be able to eat like most healthy people do, just eat. No app. No weighing their bread before they add the peanut butter.

I've kept it in mind all along. I look at the portions. I look at my plate. I follow hunger cues. It's not enough. I'm not there yet.

Working on it.
  • bmele0
    bmele0 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    I read the post titles and thought about when you shouldn't count calories, hmmm

My Birthday!
    Christmas?
    Def. Thankgiving

Sadly, I still tried to log on all three days- it was probably wildly inaccurate and I gave up basically after booze was involved.

I know this wasn't what you were actually talking about, but those are the only times I kind of allow myself to back off from counting.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    Options
    ftsolk wrote: »
    I understand that the basic premise of weight loss is that one must burn more calories than he or she consumes.

Of course, it is not always an exact science. The 3,500 calories= a pound rule is an estimation, and it doesn't take into account the 20% margin of error allowed on nutritional labels here in the USA (as well as personal user error in calculating portion sizes, etc). Still, as long as you eat less than what you burn, you should eventually lose weight. (Just know that other factors such as water retention and the timing/weight of your last meal and bathroom visit may influence the scale as well).

That being said, I am also aware that calorie counting does not work for me. I am aware that if I stick to meticulously counting calories (or Weight Watchers points, as I have done in the past), I will lose weight. However, I have not been able to stick to it long-term.

I would even go as far as saying that I, personally, should NOT count calories.

Let me explain.

I am a very black and white thinker with a history of anxiety and depression. Often, calorie counting means I become obsessive. I weigh everything I eat down to the last gram. Eating out in a social situation is only permissible if nutritional information is readily available (I cannot cope with just estimating calories or portion sizes). This is becoming more of a challenge as, although I do not eat out as frequently as I have in the past (I tend to go to a restaurant once every 2 weeks or so during the school, year), my current social life revolves more around church groups with homemade food, or dinners at friends' houses.

So, if I'm in a situation where I don't know the exact numbers, I tend to cope by not eating anything at all, or binging. Either way, my need for perfection drives me to destruction even before I get into the details of my Fitbit calorie burn, TDEE calculators, deficit sizes, and the like. I also worry that, with my personal history, I could very likely spiral into the realms of an eating disorder if I get too engrossed in calorie counting.

I know that I am not the only person out there who cannot deal with counting calories- or SHOULDN'T. While I have never struggled with anorexia or another eating disorder, I can see how someone with a history of anorexia who could also afford to lose some weight after recovery, should steer away from diet plans that involve counting calories simply because it could trigger a relapse of self-destructive behaviors.

So, how do you lose weight without counting calories or cutting out any major food groups? I understand that it may be slow weight loss, but I'm becoming more and more content with that idea. I'm already trying to make small changes like consistently eating a packed lunch at work (with fruits, vegetables, lean proteins, and whole grains) instead of opting for quick-on the go options like potato chips, snack cakes, hummus with pretzel chips, or Lunchables. That, coupled with the fact that I've gone from eating at restaurants 1 to 3 times a week (up to 4 or 5 days at one point) to eating at a restaurant roughly 2-3 times a month should help. (Eating at a friends' house usually happens a couple times a month- if that. Church food events are more frequent, but I tend to nibble at the food there, so it's less of an issue.

You lose weight by eating less. Whether you do this by counting calories, or estimating what you need to eat and changing your lifestyle accordingly, it is up to you. Obviously you do not need to log everything forever, it is just a tool to help you figure out things, and not one that is the best choice foe everyone or suitable to all situations.
    There are several alternatives you could try:
    Keep eating whatever you are eating, but eat smaller portions. Keep reducing portions a little at a time, until you start seeing results.
    Look for lower calorie alternatives of your usual foods, like figure out how to cook with less fat, bake instead of fry, or find lower calorie side-dishes, replace your snacks with lower calorie choices, switch to zero or low calorie beverages, cut down alcohol, avoid sauces, and so on.
    Try foods that are low in calories and will help you feel fuller, like for example, make a habit of eating a large salad of low calorie vegetables (greens, tomatoes etc) in the beginning of your meals, so you will have a smaller portion of whatever else you are usually eating.
    Increase your physical activity, either by starting (and committing to ) a new sport, or by increasing overall activity, like walking everywhere instead of driving or using the bus etc.
    Or a combination of all the above.
    It all comes down to eating less than you burn, but whether you actually count it or just control the calories in some indirect way, it is up to you.
  • LloydGK
    LloydGK Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    'When YOU shouldn't count calories'
    There...fixed that for ya ;)

Have a great one, everybody!
  • upgradeddiddy
    upgradeddiddy Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    LloydGK wrote: »

^ this may come off a little harsh but you cant lose weight without counting and analyzing first and seeing how your body responds first...period. On top of that if you are worried about your mental issues when doing a diet, then don't diet! Get right with yourself first and fix your mind before you even attempt to fix your body.

If your mind ain't right then it will be near impossible to be consistent in any part of health and fitness.
  • ftsolk
    ftsolk Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Whether I am or am not speaking with a professional regarding some of the issues I am going through is my concern. I'd rather not get into any details regarding that right now.

I understand that calorie counting isn't hard, but I, personally, just cannot (and probably should not) do it. I own a kitchen scale and measuring cups (including serving spoons that hold 1/2 cup and 1 cup portions). Most of the time, I eat off of 8.5 to 9 inch plates- and when I don't, it's because I went overboard on vegetable servings or because I need a little extra room for a little container of dip for something on my plate. I drink water, seltzer (no sweeteners, but flavored), and unsweetened iced tea primarily. However, I do enjoy indulging in a bottle of Synergy, a glass of organic whole milk, or a Naked/Bolthouse Farms/True Organics juice on occasion. (More rarely, I'll go to Starbucks for a Frappucino).

I wish I could get more into IF, but I'm just not sure how to do it with my eating schedule. Ideally, I'd like a window from around 1pm to 9pm (or 12 to 10 if I were to do a 14/10 fast rather than the 16/8). However, there are many days where I don't eat lunch until after 4pm. I'm not sure I'd be able to function going that long without eating. Or, rather, I know I'd be able to function, but it would set me up to binge later on. I've gained weight the few times I've attempted IF, so I'm hesitant about trying it again.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 8,998 Member
    Options
    LloydGK wrote: »

^ this may come off a little harsh but you cant lose weight without counting and analyzing first and seeing how your body responds first...period. On top of that if you are worried about your mental issues when doing a diet, then don't diet! Get right with yourself first and fix your mind before you even attempt to fix your body.

If your mind ain't right then it will be near impossible to be consistent in any part of health and fitness.

Of course you can lose weight without counting first - and many people do.

They cut out sweets or second helpings or snacks between meals or sugary drinks or whatever or start exercising regularly and by doing so create a caloric deficit and thus they lose weight.

I like calorie counting ( although I approximate a lot too) and I have done it for over 2 years - but I don't claim it is the only or the best method for everybody.

• Mischievous_Rascal
    Mischievous_Rascal Posts: 1,791 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    Can you count one macro? Could you count something like your protein grams?

Have you tried IF? A form of 16:8 might work for your lifestyle if you combine it with sensible choices when you do eat.

I have to disagree here. Intermittent fasting can end up being a really bad fit for someone with anxiety about calorie counting. I do IF and the "Oh my god, my friend had to move our lunch date up by an hour!!!" used to cause me anxiety, and I don't mind counting calories.

Actually, the book Ditching Diets recommended by @msf74 looks like it could address some of the issues the OP may be having. And there has been some really good advice offered on here for her, as well, most importantly getting professional help.

Best of luck, OP.
  • lrachel011
    lrachel011 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Calorie counting doesn't really help me but I've become slightly obsessed. Because if in supposed to have 1200 calories, and I've eaten 1100, I'll see a 100 cal chocolate bar an be like "well I still have 100 calories left might aswell eat it!" Whereas I wouldn't have eaten it otherwise. Or I'll go slightly over my allowance and beat myself up over it, so I think it's best if I don't count calories, but just eat healthily... Unfortunately it's a very hard habit to break out of
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Well if counting calories isn't for you, don't count them. Its really simple.
    Don't count calories, find what will work for you, and actually do it .
    Were familiar with you posts and its clear you have issues that need to be dealt with.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,910 Member
    Options
    Sure, I've lost weight many times without calorie counting. But to not calorie count because of anxiety, depression, and obsessiveness is to ignore the elephant in the room of anxiety, depression, and obsessiveness.

I currently measure every gram of food and home and can totally relate to the anxiety of being in a situation where weighing is not an option. I use my best judgment and the scale will eventually tell me if I was right or not. Also, I know how my stomach feels after having a 400 calorie meal, vs an 800 or 1200 calorie meal.

But I'm not advocating my path for you. There are many paths up the mountain and I hope you find yours.
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    w734q672 wrote: »
    This is America, do whatever the F((k you want.

^ this right here. you don't need anyone's permission or approval. I personally like knowing how much I am eating and with the free myfitnesspal app and bar code scanner I find it hard to believe that it isn't easy to track food now a days. Even If I go out and the restaurant doesn't offer calories, I find something that is closest in weight and calories and use that. To me, seeing how many calories are in something helps me make better choices. Good luck OP