Why the study that showed taking vitamins don't work, is wrong.

Horrorfox
Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
edited August 2015 in Food and Nutrition
Hello folks, I just wanted to create a new thread addressing some of the misinformation I have seen on a few threads, concerning daily supplements.

In the videos below, the woman speaking is Dr. Rhonda Patrick. Now, I've seen an argument on here, "Well, Dr. Oz is a doctor, just because she is a Dr. doesn't mean she knows what she's talking about". When you look at it that way, I suppose you can't. But she has a PHD in biomedical studies, actually has published work in regards to her research with genes, and vitamins, and is active in her research. Dr. Oz was a surgeon (not a scientist), who realized selling books would make him richer.

Anyway, if you're into soaking up some knowledge, take a look at some of her videos.

Recommend watching this one, as it has to do with the terrible study done on supplements and their benefits, with Dr. Rhonda Patrick's rebuttal.

https://youtu.be/o0u8UdZeOhc

Long form conversations with her, on Joe Rogan's podcast.

https://youtu.be/qh0xB4OJdpQ?t=6m33s

https://youtu.be/DgSLkakMDfE

https://youtu.be/bnO1hXvAV2c

https://youtu.be/FApCVOXoweU

Replies

• br3adman
    br3adman Posts: 284 Member
    You can live off just vitamins if you're super obese. That proves that they work....
  • Horrorfox
    @br3adman Whether you're correct or not, the above videos have the facts, with supporting evidence. Not just anecdotal hearsay.
  • Geege29
    Geege29 Posts: 13 Member
    I would never stop taking my vites! Multi with folic acid, vitamin d, biotin complex, and I just started a probiotic, results have been awesome. If I don't take them I notice the difference.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    A large 19-year study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine in 2011 found a 6% increased mortality rate in women who take multi-vitamins. I'm looking right at a list of a bunch of other reputable studies that show that life expectancy is no greater in any population that takes vitamin supplements.
  • isulo_kura
    isulo_kura Posts: 818 Member
    Does she have shares in supplement companies ;)
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    @br3adman Whether you're correct or not, the above videos have the facts, with supporting evidence. Not just anecdotal hearsay.
    Joe Rogan is a seeker of truth. He likes to dig for it, then embrace what he finds. He's like a kid that way.

I am far from a supplement advocate. In fact I take a daily multi-vitamin and a baby aspirin, knowing that just maybe I am doing some good for myself. That's it!
    I question the motives of the medical establishment when they impugn alternative methods of wellness.

And likewise, I question most supplement peddlers who oversell worthless products with unscientific claims.

Again, I like the way Joe tries to cut through all this.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,454 Member
    I quit talking multivitamins a few months ago. A waste of money, I think. Also quit taking fish oil.
  • SherryTeach
    I only take calcium with vitamin D and I'm not even sure if that is going to make that much difference in my old lady bones.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I quit talking multivitamins a few months ago. A waste of money, I think. Also quit taking fish oil.
    I am still going through my huge bottle of centrum.
    I ditched supplements years ago, but I still see some value in a daily multivitamin.

I bet if I had it lab tested, it's pure corn starch... :o
  • Horrorfox
    Once again this message board plagues itself with ignorance.

@7lenny7 "I think"

Did you bother listening to the video(s), or did you just see the word vitamin in the title, and then reply with your opinion?

@isulo_kura

Because someone actually showing data backed up by science means they're working for a supplement company?
  • 7lenny7
    I listened to my doctor. I trust him more some video on the interwebs.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    While I do take a multi-vitamin almost every day (not the full dose of 3, just 1), I do know that most these 'studies' are paid for (and often poorly designed and executed) by those who wish to profit from the results.

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/spotquack.html
  • SherryTeach
    I trust my doctor, not one who partly owns a web company that sells you a "package" to give you advice about your supplements. And I trust multiple peer-reviewed studies, especially longitudinal ones what are published in reputable medical journals. And I trusted my grandmother and great grandparents who lived will into their 90's without taking vitamins.
  • rachou_101
    rachou_101 Posts: 4 Member
    Vitamin supplements are only beneficial if your body is lacking a specific vitamin. If your body doesn't lack vitamins and you take vitamin supplements, your body is going to get rid of it! Simple. This is what I have learnt at university anyway.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    And I trusted my grandmother and great grandparents who lived will into their 90's without taking vitamins.
    What?
    They didn't take Geritol?
    1zqjlu67pmiv.jpg

• ThomasWright1997
    ThomasWright1997 Posts: 155 Member
    br3adman wrote: »
    You can live off just vitamins if you're super obese. That proves that they work....

;) Damn right
  • Horrorfox
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    I listened to my doctor. I trust him more some video on the interwebs.

@7lenny7 Oh, your doctor. Ask your doctor when he last kept up with the nutritional sciences and the current findings.
  • Horrorfox
    I trust my doctor, not one who partly owns a web company that sells you a "package" to give you advice about your supplements. And I trust multiple peer-reviewed studies, especially longitudinal ones what are published in reputable medical journals. And I trusted my grandmother and great grandparents who lived will into their 90's without taking vitamins.

@SherryTeach What package do you see being sold from the above said links? Please, explain to me.
  • 7lenny7
    So I should trust some video by a gal I've never heard of? posted by a guy I've never heard of? Makes sense to me.