Why the study that showed taking vitamins don't work, is wrong.

Replies

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    There's no way the body can absorb 20g of vitamin c a day. Nevermind that everyone raves because it's an antixodant, but in high doses it becomes an oxidant and can cause DNA damage. Of course, in biochemical they said we'd never have to worry about that because your body can't absorb that much unless it starts malfunctioning. At this point, you just have very expensive pee.

If you do an internet search, there are many positive testimonials on taking this dose for periodontal disease.
    @auddii I don't take 20g all at once. I take 5g at a time spaced throughout the day.

• dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    auddii wrote: »
    There's no way the body can absorb 20g of vitamin c a day. Nevermind that everyone raves because it's an antixodant, but in high doses it becomes an oxidant and can cause DNA damage. Of course, in biochemical they said we'd never have to worry about that because your body can't absorb that much unless it starts malfunctioning. At this point, you just have very expensive pee.

If you do an internet search, there are many positive testimonials on taking this dose for periodontal disease.
    @auddii I don't take 20g all at once. I take 5g at a time spaced throughout the day.

If you rely on testimonials instead of science (peer reviewed repeatable studies), there are tons of things on the internet you can believe. Perhaps magnets or copper bands can help as well.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    mantium999 wrote: »
    psulemon wrote: »
    rrrca wrote: »

For the sake of full disclosure, as you seem to be highly interested in this topic and her work. Do you by chance have a personal connection to this Dr. Patrick?

Clever method of attacking the OP.
    Actually, its a valid question. I couldnt tell you how often people come on to this forum to help promote youtube views or help sell ones services.

Quite frankly, i regularly ban and/or hand out strikes on a daily basis for self promotion or advertising.

This. The OP has made multiple references to the work of a particular doc. I myself have little knowledge in the topic at hand, and enjoy learning. Seems reasonable, when a person seems passionate about a particular source of information to try qualifying the reason for that passion, so that others can assess the validity of the information being provided. And while he did link a couple of other sources of information, those posts didn't include the same level of defense/passion as the posts that include discussion of Dr. Patrick. Wasn't in any way intended to attack anyone, simply curious why one particular doc is held in such high regard. Simple curiosity.

@mantium999 Because no one attacked the other references I cited. You have a bunch of unqualified people calling her a quack, with no basis to call it. Yeah, that initial video I posted has some dumb power point text over her dialogue, but the information is not incorrect or invalid because of it. Yet, people are dismissing it, and outright calling BS on her... for what?
  • Horrorfox
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    And yet, we keep living longer, and usefully-longer, lives.

There's a huge disconnect between theory and evidence here...

And yet there are over 14 million people that have cancer in the U.S.

What do vitamins have to do with that?
    Not gonna lie I've been lurking on this thread the whole time and you're not not doing very well at convincing me to your claims. And neither are the sources you cite.

@UltimateRBF Well that's a shame. My apologies.
  • Horrorfox
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't think there's any harm in taking a mulit-vitamin along with eating well. I take one. I believe the problem is that people that don't eat well take vitamins believing they reach correct RDA with them when that may not be the entire truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

@ninerbuff That's why every nutrition expert worth anything is telling people to go get your blood work done, when it comes to making sure your levels are correct. Including the OP videos. On top of that, it's also stressed to find the appropriate food to get your daily nutrition from. But where it lacks, you should supplement.
  • Horrorfox

For the sake of full disclosure, as you seem to be highly interested in this topic and her work. Do you by chance have a personal connection to this Dr. Patrick?

Actually, its a valid question. I couldnt tell you how often people come on to this forum to help promote youtube views or help sell ones services.

Quite frankly, i regularly ban and/or hand out strikes on a daily basis for self promotion or advertising.

@psulemon Feel free to add me, and you'll see I'm not schill.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.

There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame. You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member

Yes, but you are taking about 20 times more that what is considered safe, and more than 200 times the recommended dose! There are some interesting long term risks associated with vitamin c megadoses:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1001.html#Safety
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/#h2
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member

There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame. You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.

How about some actual studies, instead of books and youtube videos? That would help. I posted one above saying just eating a reasonable diet has enough vit C and most other micronutrients you need.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

This. The OP has made multiple references to the work of a particular doc. I myself have little knowledge in the topic at hand, and enjoy learning. Seems reasonable, when a person seems passionate about a particular source of information to try qualifying the reason for that passion, so that others can assess the validity of the information being provided. And while he did link a couple of other sources of information, those posts didn't include the same level of defense/passion as the posts that include discussion of Dr. Patrick. Wasn't in any way intended to attack anyone, simply curious why one particular doc is held in such high regard. Simple curiosity.

@mantium999 Because no one attacked the other references I cited. You have a bunch of unqualified people calling her a quack, with no basis to call it. Yeah, that initial video I posted has some dumb power point text over her dialogue, but the information is not incorrect or invalid because of it. Yet, people are dismissing it, and outright calling BS on her... for what?

How do you know the information on the youtube video is correct? Have you validated her claims with outside sources to confirm? Or do you find her interesting and believe she is unbiased and makes good recommendations.

Youtube is not a credible aource of information. Just look at freelee the banana girl or Dr. Lustig and the millions of others who post similar videos.

On and btw, i take a one a day supplement and a fish oil because i have seen several studies suggesting fish can help imrpove hdl and lower ldl cholesterol so i am seeing if that is the case for me. And the multivitamin is there to address shortfalls in my diet because not everday will be perfect.
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    I don't think there's any harm in taking a mulit-vitamin along with eating well. I take one. I believe the problem is that people that don't eat well take vitamins believing they reach correct RDA with them when that may not be the entire truth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff That's why every nutrition expert worth anything is telling people to go get your blood work done, when it comes to making sure your levels are correct. Including the OP videos. On top of that, it's also stressed to find the appropriate food to get your daily nutrition from. But where it lacks, you should supplement.

Or just change your diet to meet the deficiency. I've read this thread, lurked, and am for the most part, not understanding how a balanced diet does not meet the requirements for micronutrients. IDK seems like a lot of huff and puff over nothing.

• amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    edited August 2015
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Or just change your diet to meet the deficiency. I've read this thread, lurked, and am for the most part, not understanding how a balanced diet does not meet the requirements for micronutrients. IDK seems like a lot of huff and puff over nothing.

No matter how balanced a diet is, if you are on a steep deficit like some women are (read eating 1200 calories) it's extremely unlikely to meet requirements. RDA is based on a an average of 2000 calories and is possible at or around that number. A smaller intake poses nutritional challenges and supplementing becomes a valid option. Now add exercise into the equation, and the nutrient threshold goes up, so even if eating more a person losing weight while exercising may still be unable to meet all of their needs.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.

Those people are called "scientists"
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.

Better yet, base your decisions on science-based medicine rather than quackery

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

No matter how balanced a diet is, if you are on a steep deficit like some women are (read eating 1200 calories) it's extremely unlikely to meet requirements. RDA is based on a an average of 2000 calories and is possible at or around that number. A smaller intake poses nutritional challenges and supplementing becomes a valid option. Now add exercise into the equation, and the nutrient threshold goes up, so even if eating more a person losing weight while exercising may still be unable to meet all of their needs.

You don't need a steep deficit to miss RDA requirements. I've read people on here who think healthy is eating, bacon, bacon grease, cheese, and butter(75% of their intake) and 2 beers at night and I've read diaries where people consume 1400 calories with a 80-10-10 adherence. So, while 1200 seems to be frequent for newer members(usually women who just hit the 2 pound loss button) it isn't the norm. I understand what your saying and for the vast majority of people the 'where it lacks, you should supplement' seems like a quick or easy fix versus learning what changes to the individual's diet could be made so they are hitting the RDA or some other set of numbers. They would also avoid paying for things they don't need to hit numbers they could hit by making small changes to their diet.

• TheDevastator

How about some actual studies, instead of books and youtube videos? That would help. I posted one above saying just eating a reasonable diet has enough vit C and most other micronutrients you need.

The studies are referenced in the book. I know you wouldn't get it but there may be others that will, free from your library.
  • TheDevastator
    There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    Some hospitals (the good ones) give intravenous vitamin C of high doses.
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,452 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I don't disagree here. I think what the problem is is that many people lack the actual knowledge on how to select foods that help supply the RDA needed. So rather than bother themselves with trying to that, they'd rather take a multi vitamin thinking they did enough to achieve it.
    Again, I'm not against vitamin supplementation, I just believe that people who overdo them are possible blind to the fact that they may not be reaching actual essentials they believe they are getting.
    Let's face it, since supplements aren't regulated, any seller can make claims of what's in their "proprietary blend" and not really need to back it up. With practically all of them being manufactured by 3rd parties, you can't be assured that what you're getting from them is actually true dose.
    So are vitamin supplements wrong? I'd say no. Again, I take one TO SUPPLEMENT what I do now. But I rely more on what I consume daily.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    To understand how little present day science knows about how our bodies work, consider the following scenario of "idealized" future science:

As you chew/drink your food/liquid, nanorobots analyze the intake and immediately arrest and capture the toxins, heavy metals, harmful chemicals, harmful bacteria/viruses and whatever else they were programmed to do. They also measure the macro/micronutrients and keep a running tally.

There would be nanorobots all along the gastric system that would help synthesize all kinds of molecules that would be needed by the body at real time and make sure they would communicate with the nanorobots in the blood stream, cells etc. and coordinate the activities to keep the body at 100% efficiency something that evolution has enabled us to do in a very inefficient and "bandaid upon bandaid" manner that evolution is wont to do...

Coming back to the present, my skeptic spider sense starts screaming every time I read/hear claims that radically shift from the prevailing science. It may turn up to be correct (i.e. H Pylori as a cause of ulcers and the crazy aussie dr who drunk the virus vial to prove it) but most of the time, it's stamped out as untrue.

So, is 100x daily dose of Vitamin C really needed for periodontal issues? I have no idea, and I'm glad I won't have to experiment with it in order to find out...

• FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    Some hospitals (the good ones) give intravenous vitamin C of high doses.
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.

Lol. That's why the Fda is constantly going after books on alternative medicine, homeopathy, and other pseudoscientific tripe