Why the study that showed taking vitamins don't work, is wrong.

Replies

• Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I've been to scared to read those links...

Tomatoey I've also read smokers require more VitC than the non smokers.

That's true. Here, they advise 35mg more for smokers than for non-smokers. :)
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member
    Only if the claim is made by the seller of the product.

Book authors, on the other hand...

But feel free to continue making things up to support your woo
    But what does sciencebasedmedicine.org say about it?

There is no evidence to support routine supplementation. There is also reason to avoid taking megadoses of vitamins, as this can cause toxicity, and even short of toxicity the evidence becomes more compelling at higher doses of the risks of supplementation.

https://www.sciencebasedmedicine.org/vitamins-and-mortality/
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    The problem I see with this doctor's stance is that the science is progressing AWAY from vitamin supplementation for the average individual. There hasn't been just one, but many studies showing the lack of benefit in vitamin supplementation and megadosing. When I see a single scientist taking a stance contrary to the majority -- one that has not published professionally on vitamin supplementation outside of studies on Vitamin D for people with select disorders -- and spreading her views not in journals, but on Joe Rogan's show, I just don't trust that doctor's view. I have to disregard too much evidence and too many authoritative positions to the contrary in order to embrace her view.

Is it possible that she's a Copernicus in the Catholic Church of the scientific majority? Sure, it's possible. But she's going to have to bring a lot more to the table if she's going to swing opinion her way.
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    Supplementing is wonderful for people who are low. If you lack iron, D, B-12, whatever, the supplements can be a godsend.

There is no reason to take high doses of things you don't need. The best thing that can happen there is that you pee it all away. The worst thing that can happen is that you create an actual toxicity.

If you can get your vitamins and minerals from your diet, that's the best way to go. It's really hard to do while dieting, though. It's especially if you include junk foods in your diet. I don't eat junk foods and still have a heck of a time balancing my diet.
  • ariamythe
    ariamythe Posts: 130 Member
    Kalikel wrote: »
    There is no reason to take high doses of things you don't need. The best thing that can happen there is that you pee it all away. The worst thing that can happen is that you create an actual toxicity.

^^ This. Vitamins are not an exception to the rule of toxicity -- the dose makes the poison. Even vitamin C can be toxic in high enough concentrations (though it is really hard to reach that level, as excess quickly flushes out of the body).

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    There is no evidence to support routine supplementation. There is also reason to avoid taking megadoses of vitamins, as this can cause toxicity, and even short of toxicity the evidence becomes more compelling at higher doses of the risks of supplementation.
    I was joking. I hate that website.
  • sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited August 2015
    Taking a properly dosed multivitamin is not harmful to human health... not even close. A good multivitamin can be a beneficial addition to fill in gaps in nutrition if your diet is not always perfect.

However, consuming too much of certain ingredients like Vit A, Vit E, Folate, and Selenium (in both supplement and food form) can be harmful, long-term.

More info here: http://www.aor.ca/assets/Research/pdf/fall_2005_article1.pdf
  • FunkyTobias

Of course you do. It's always debunking the pseudoscientific nonsense you believe in.

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.
    There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.
    Those people are called "scientists"
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    Some hospitals (the good ones) give intravenous vitamin C of high doses.
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
    Better yet, base your decisions on science-based medicine rather than quackery
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't work like that. Nutritional advice land is nearly regulation free.

No, the FDA will go after you if you say some vitamin cures some disease.

Please cite this regulation. I would love to bring this up at the next RAPS session.
  • TheDevastator

Of course you do. It's always debunking the pseudoscientific nonsense you believe in.
    It's mostly wrong in it's views and attacks alternative medicine with little knowledge of it.
  • TheDevastator
    \
    The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.
    There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't work like that. Nutritional advice land is nearly regulation free.

Please cite this regulation. I would love to bring this up at the next RAPS session.

I guess you do have to be selling the vitamins and saying they cure a disease but they will target you if you do. Look it up yourself if you want to bring it up at your meeting.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    \

I guess you do have to be selling the vitamins and saying they cure a disease but they will target you if you do. Look it up yourself if you want to bring it up at your meeting.

Quite familiar with these - how I makes my livins. All falls under adpromo regulation and must be preapproved.

As an individual you can say whatever the heck you want. You may impact your credibility and whatever organization licenses you may have something to say about it, but as far as the FDA - not their jurisdiction.
  • FunkyTobias

It's mostly wrong in it's views and attacks alternative medicine with little knowledge of it.

Lol

Point to where they are "wrong"

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I don't think you'll find a "scientist" anywhere who will advocate for natural/alternate medicine. It's a real shame.

I'm very fortunate that my periodontist believes in both.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Because then it would defined under a drug category. Honestly, the DSHEA has done a disservice to consumers by not doing a better job with regulation. While vitamins are essential for good health, many sellers don't have to prove that their products meet an actual standard. Companies are only investigated if there's enough complaints by consumers.
    That's why it's important to choose a good brand.
    Name a couple of brands.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• FunkyTobias
    I don't think you'll find a "scientist" anywhere who will advocate for natural/alternate medicine.

Hmmmm, I wonder why?
    It's a real shame.

Quite the opposite.
  • Christine_72
    I don't think you'll find a "scientist" anywhere who will advocate for natural/alternate medicine.

Hmmmm, I wonder why?
    It's a real shame.

Quite the opposite.

Not every natural remedy is a sham!

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015

Hmmmm, I wonder why?
    It's a real shame.

Quite the opposite.

It's because a lot of that stuff isn't patentable, so it's not worth it to big companies to spend money on the research. When an idea shows promise, and they think they can find an angle (some way of tweaking the product to make it patentable), research is more likely to happen.

Also, there isn't any regulation of natural products in most places, so the formulations aren't standardized, and neither are the cultivation and processing that go into different products. Like there might be twenty ways to do "valerian" (different plant varieties, different parts of the plants, different amounts in a given pill, etc etc). Some might have an effect, others might not.
  • Christine_72
    tomatoey wrote: »

Hmmmm, I wonder why?
    It's a real shame.

Quite the opposite.

It's because a lot of that stuff isn't patentable, so it's not worth it to big companies to spend money on the research. When an idea shows promise, and they think they can find an angle (some way of tweaking the product to make it patentable), research is more likely to happen.

bang! There it is. Makes perfect sense. The almighty dollar wins again..

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    tomatoey wrote: »

Hmmmm, I wonder why?
    It's a real shame.

Quite the opposite.

bang! There it is. Makes perfect sense. The almighty dollar wins again..

And so it goes :)

I personally get a good result from valerian root tincture (sometimes, depending :) ) (for sleep)