Why the study that showed taking vitamins don't work, is wrong.

Replies

• psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator

The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.
    There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.
    Those people are called "scientists"
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    Some hospitals (the good ones) give intravenous vitamin C of high doses.
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
    Better yet, base your decisions on science-based medicine rather than quackery
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.

Lol. That's why the Fda is constantly going after books on alternative medicine, homeopathy, and other pseudoscientific tripe

And its also why congress ripped into Dr. Oz with his huge push with supplements.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    5 pages in and I still can't validate whether Neugenix works. I is sad.
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I don't think there's any harm in taking a mulit-vitamin along with eating well. I take one. I believe the problem is that people that don't eat well take vitamins believing they reach correct RDA with them when that may not be the entire truth.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

@ninerbuff That's why every nutrition expert worth anything is telling people to go get your blood work done, when it comes to making sure your levels are correct. Including the OP videos. On top of that, it's also stressed to find the appropriate food to get your daily nutrition from. But where it lacks, you should supplement.

Or just change your diet to meet the deficiency. I've read this thread, lurked, and am for the most part, not understanding how a balanced diet does not meet the requirements for micronutrients. IDK seems like a lot of huff and puff over nothing.

No matter how balanced a diet is, if you are on a steep deficit like some women are (read eating 1200 calories) it's extremely unlikely to meet requirements.

Wait - now the scenario is 1200 calories/day and huge deficits?

That's...new.

I will happily concede that people eating very small amounts of food might want to consider popping a multivit or two.

Actually even more important than that, pop an EFA or two.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Mr_Knight wrote: »
    _Terrapin_ wrote: »
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    I don't think there's any harm in taking a mulit-vitamin along with eating well. I take one. I believe the problem is that people that don't eat well take vitamins believing they reach correct RDA with them when that may not be the entire truth.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

@ninerbuff That's why every nutrition expert worth anything is telling people to go get your blood work done, when it comes to making sure your levels are correct. Including the OP videos. On top of that, it's also stressed to find the appropriate food to get your daily nutrition from. But where it lacks, you should supplement.

Or just change your diet to meet the deficiency. I've read this thread, lurked, and am for the most part, not understanding how a balanced diet does not meet the requirements for micronutrients. IDK seems like a lot of huff and puff over nothing.

No matter how balanced a diet is, if you are on a steep deficit like some women are (read eating 1200 calories) it's extremely unlikely to meet requirements.

Wait - now the scenario is 1200 calories/day and huge deficits?

That's...new.

I will happily concede that people eating very small amounts of food might want to consider popping a multivit or two.

Actually even more important than that, pop an EFA or two.

That was just an extreme example. Even moderate deficits could result in not being able to fulfil the needed nutrients. Since this is a weight loss and fitness website I was just being relevant. A person who is on a diet and/or exercises could use a supplement, as it was in my case like I mentioned earlier. I don't believe I have met anyone yet who enjoys, loves and consumes nutrient rich foods as much as I do, yet I managed to slash down my iron and B12 by being in a deficit for more than a year (and those are only the ones I checked).

Generalizations are nice, they're cool to look at, and they make more sensational headlines that do well with the media and go viral... but in reality what applies to the general population may not apply to a special subgroup such as the case here.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,257 Member
    The proof is in the pudding. Since starting the vitC my condition has greatly improved, so much so that the minor surgery that was booked has been cancelled. Also, My skin has never looked better!!
    I won't stay on such a high dose forever. If i get the thumbs up at my next visit, then I will start reducing the dosage.
    There are some people that can't believe that a vitamin will do that and it's a shame.
    No if would more likely be doctors that want to push a drug with limited training in nutrition and vitamin therapy.
    You might want to check out Doctor Yourself by Dr. Andrew Saul. It's a very good book.
    The book is science based and has a lot of references or else the FDA would be after him.

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't work like that. Nutritional advice land is nearly regulation free.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    CSARdiver wrote: »

Sorry, but the FDA doesn't work like that. Nutritional advice land is nearly regulation free.

No, the FDA will go after you if you say some vitamin cures some disease.
  • FunkyTobias
    FunkyTobias Posts: 1,776 Member

Only if the claim is made by the seller of the product.

Book authors, on the other hand...

But feel free to continue making things up to support your woo
  • imno246
    imno246 Posts: 1 Member
    I have a stupid question but I am going to ask anyway.
    Does it matter if you just take a multi vitamin or should I get the pre packaged type of vitamins when I am trying to lose weight? I currently take just a multi vitamin, Vitamin D (per Doctor's orders) and FeverFew (to help with migraines). is this good enough?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    None of the above. It's summertime - go outside and get some sunlight.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    imno246 wrote: »
    Does it matter if you just take a multi vitamin or should I get the pre packaged type of vitamins when I am trying to lose weight? I currently take just a multi vitamin, Vitamin D (per Doctor's orders) and FeverFew (to help with migraines). is this good enough?

It's good enough, just make sure to supplement, not substitute. What I mean by this is try to eat nutrient-rich foods and whatever is not enough will be picked up by your multi-vitamin.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    imno246 wrote: »
    If Naturemade products are available in your area just get their multivitamin. Its certified by an outside organization that verifies dosage. Most "weight loss" packets are made up of expensive junk that doenst help.

But if you want to be thorough get your doctor to do a blood panel to see if you are deficient in anything.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,454 Member

Because then it would defined under a drug category. Honestly, the DSHEA has done a disservice to consumers by not doing a better job with regulation. While vitamins are essential for good health, many sellers don't have to prove that their products meet an actual standard. Companies are only investigated if there's enough complaints by consumers.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

Yes, but you are taking about 20 times more that what is considered safe, and more than 200 times the recommended dose! There are some interesting long term risks associated with vitamin c megadoses:
    http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/1001.html#Safety
    https://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/VitaminC-Consumer/#h2

I've read that it's a different story for current and ex-smokers, though, bc of apparently long-term problems with oxidative stress. (I think your 2nd link makes reference to this idea - have seen different dosages recommended elsewhere.) For Vit C, that is. (Synthetic Vit A, meanwhile, is possibly really bad news for current and ex-smokers.)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    I've been to scared to read those links...

Tomatoey I've also read smokers require more VitC than the non smokers.
  • CrosbyMcDowell
    CrosbyMcDowell Posts: 113 Member
    I found the video interesting. Thanks for posting :+1:
    I agree!

Haven't taken multi vitamins in 5+ years. I really like her approach of looking at mechanisms in the body and looking for proof of nutrients in the blood. I work in the medical field and have much respect for my colleagues who do research, but I think you really have to dig into the original data yourself to get a clear picture. And many times data can be shifted and skewed and shown at an angle that can prove whatever point you want.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Tried to get back into multis. They hurt my stomach, I was done. Then I was told it was probably the iron and I needed to take them after eating. Couldn't quite get the timing right so I have all these bottles of pills. I don't think I'll be buying any more for a while
  • TheDevastator
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Synthetic Vit A, meanwhile, is possibly really bad news for current and ex-smokers.
    Synthetic vitamin A is worthless and should be removed just like synthetic vitamin E and time released niacin.
  • TheDevastator
    Because then it would defined under a drug category. Honestly, the DSHEA has done a disservice to consumers by not doing a better job with regulation. While vitamins are essential for good health, many sellers don't have to prove that their products meet an actual standard. Companies are only investigated if there's enough complaints by consumers.
    That's why it's important to choose a good brand.
  • TheDevastator
    Only if the claim is made by the seller of the product.

Book authors, on the other hand...

But feel free to continue making things up to support your woo
    But what does sciencebasedmedicine.org say about it?
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I'm not big into vitamins and supplements, but I have used them to treat health conditions. I take D3 because I live in the frozen north and do suffer from SAD and I took high potency iron for a while to treat anemia (after 4 units of blood and 1 unit of IV iron moved me from the severe category into the mild category. My hemo is back in the normal range and the cause was treated so I am back to getting my iron from food). Other than that, I take a multi because, why not? A medication I take has been known to deplete the body of some minerals (like potassium) so the multi helps replenish. It is a trusted brand that provides 100% of most things and no more than that of anything.

High dose anything is useless unless you have a deficiency but there is no evidence that a general purpose multi will be harmful.