Why the study that showed taking vitamins don't work, is wrong.

Replies

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »
    Horrorfox wrote: »
    @aggelikik On the first post, I linked the about her profile on her website. On the bottom of the page shows the papers she's had published.

These papers do not appear related to the topic of multivitamin supplements and their effect on the average person though.

@aggelikik What is the actual problem that you have with taking a vitamin supplement? That the supplement doesn't work in raising the vitamin levels in your body? That a normal diet will put every average person in normal levels for all vitamins? Or that we don't need natural vitamins for our bodies to sustain a healthy life?
  • Mr_Knight
    Mr_Knight Posts: 9,532 Member
    edited August 2015
    @aggelikik On the first post, I linked the about her profile on her website. On the bottom of the page shows the papers she's had published.

But...none of those papers support the taking of multivitamins....
  • LKArgh
    LKArgh Posts: 5,179 Member
    aggelikik wrote: »

These papers do not appear related to the topic of multivitamin supplements and their effect on the average person though.

@aggelikik What is the actual problem that you have with taking a vitamin supplement? That the supplement doesn't work in raising the vitamin levels in your body? That a normal diet will put every average person in normal levels for all vitamins? Or that we don't need natural vitamins for our bodies to sustain a healthy life?

I am not the one who started the thread, so it is not me who has a problem ;) You started a thread to prove in your opinion that multivitamins are a good/needed thing. I am arguing that I do not see how this thread proves anything of this sort.
  • BWBTrish
    BWBTrish Posts: 2,817 Member
    edited August 2015
    What ever you do or believe, you only should take vitamin's after a visit to your doctor and sufficient lab test if your body needs vitamins or any other supplements.

I see too many people saying, you need to take this or that. Also to many people saying i take this or that.
    When you ask them if they went to a doctor or got any blood work done, they look at you if your crazy...because they know they need it.
    When you ask how they know ( because i sure want to safe some money on lab testing and a doctor) they come with the arguments...because i know..because some random person, which i never spoke too or seen, on the internet tells me i need it.

the vitamin and supplement industriesare laughing their *kitten* of because of us suckers who take the stuff and put everything in our body without even questioning if we really need it.

When you want/think that you need to take any pills/supplements/vitamin's...go to a doctor first and get some blood work done! They studied that stuff you know.
  • mojohowitz
    mojohowitz Posts: 900 Member
    edited August 2015
    Signed up for her newsletters at foundmyfitness.com. She, really, really wants me to buy her book and visit her website.

Also, found you can sponsor her and get even more spam. $50k a year for reposting free medpub articles is brilliant. www dot patreon dot com/foundmyfitness?ty=h

I'm not sure why she thinks Joe Rogan will offer much credibilty.

Much more marketing than medicine even though she is not an MD. Still, doesn't pass the sniff test.
    ivw9d06ysyfk.jpg

I'm blindly siding with the MD's who did the test over the phd.

Methinks Horrorfox is actually Rhonda Patrick.
  • pzarnosky
    pzarnosky Posts: 256 Member
    br3adman wrote: »
    You can live off just vitamins if you're super obese. That proves that they work....

Careful with the word "prove" in the real world of scientists who have their masters or PhD's in chemistry, biochem, cell/molecular biology, physics, etc... "Prove" is a bad word. If you prove it, that means it is always true and you better have a rebuttal for every argument someone will throw at you. An obese person being able to survive on vitamins alone proves nothing.

In the world of super processed food, many things we eat are enriched with vitamins (like pretty much all boxed cereal). Multivitamins probably don't do much. You pee highlighter yellow after you take one because you're peeing most of the vitamins out. Vitamins were discussed briefly in my biochem course and there is some emerging research that maybe the daily multi isn't so great for you. If you know you have a deficiency of something then of course take that vitamin, but honestly, the research just isn't there to back the claim that your daily multi is going to help.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    mojohowitz wrote: »
    Signed up for her newsletters at foundmyfitness.com. She, really, really wants me to buy her book and visit her website.

Also, found you can sponsor her and get even more spam. $50k a year for reposting free medpub articles is brilliant. www dot patreon dot com/foundmyfitness?ty=h

Much more marketing than medicine even though she is not an MD. Still, doesn't pass the sniff test.
    ivw9d06ysyfk.jpg

Thank you for your sacrifice.
  • andrikosDE
    andrikosDE Posts: 383 Member
    edited August 2015
    I listen to all JRE podcasts and that includes Dr. Patrick's episodes.

I like them both. I feel I get a lot of interesting info, but as a "devout skeptic" (TM) ;), I'm a follower of the
    "Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence" mantra.

The flow of information from Dr. Patrick is so dense that I cannot follow the trail of evidence fast enough.
    I take it under advisement but I don't use it as "rules to go by" insomuch as "wow I never thought of it that way, let's check it out".

The thing I don't like is Joe Rogan pushing her to "recommend" specific supplements for him to try out.
    There may be nothing fishy going on, but it definitely lights up my spider senses...
  • Kalikel
    Kalikel Posts: 9,626 Member
    I don't know who those people are and I don't care what they think.
  • ldrosophila
    ldrosophila Posts: 7,512 Member
    the problem with most of these supplements and vitamins is they are highly unregulated and multiple studies have found what is usually claimed is not the case. I don't recommend calcium supplements to men d/t a possible association between cardiovascular disease. the only time I think supplementation of any vitamin is necessary is when actually lab analysis shows a deficiency.
  • ldrosophila
    mojohowitz wrote: »

ivw9d06ysyfk.jpg

Well there you go...

$50K, nice

• Horrorfox
    Horrorfox Posts: 204 Member
    What are you talking about, there is no 50k pledge on her patreon. The highest you can donate on there is $1500 a year. And no one is forcing anyone to do it. How liberal are you that you are against anyone trying to produce income to invest in her research? Holy *kitten*.
  • stevencloser
    What are you talking about, there is no 50k pledge on her patreon. The highest you can donate on there is $1500 a year. And no one is forcing anyone to do it. How liberal are you that you are against anyone trying to produce income to invest in her research? Holy *kitten*.

That's how much she gets total in a year from patreon. $46,505.40 to be exact as of this writing.
  • stevencloser
    Also a lot of alarms should start ringing if someone tries to sell you something while telling you a piece of established science has been wrong all along.
  • ldrosophila
    edited August 2015

That's how much she gets total in a year from patreon. $46,505.40 to be exact as of this writing.

can someone educate me as to why a legitimate researcher would be using crowdfunding as a source to fund research vs. the traditional methods of finding a grant? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how research studies are funded.

Oh nevermind upon further reading it appears she's using that money to continue to disseminate her information to the public and continue making articles and possible find time to write a book. Appears it is not to actually produce any research.

Meh...still seems hokey to me

• stevencloser

can someone educate me as to why a legitimate researcher would be using crowdfunding as a source to fund research vs. the traditional methods of finding a grant? I'm not very knowledgeable when it comes to how research studies are funded.

I believe research studies are funded if someone has an interest in the possible findings, that's usually companies coming towards the institute you're working for. If no one cares, you don't get funding.
  • stevencloser

Oh nevermind upon further reading it appears she's using that money to continue to disseminate her information to the public and continue making articles and possible find time to write a book. Appears it is not to actually produce any research.

Meh...still seems hokey to me
    It's a lot of money for making a few podcast videos a month and the possibility of maybe writing a book some time, assuming she also has a daytime job.
  • mantium999
    mantium999 Posts: 1,490 Member
    I like how the majority of this thread is just the OP making digs at anyone who disagrees with his post. Which in effect brings down the credibility of his post. Whomp whomp.

Quite defensive when it pertains to this particular doctor. Curious as why. I recall a similar attitude in a previous supplement discussion, though I can't put my finger on it. But there doesn't seem to be much actual discussion here beyond an attempt to validate the doc's qualifications.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,373 MFP Moderator
    edited August 2015
    So if your blood work comes back with no deficiencies, do you think there is a benefit of taking a multivitamin? I tend to do most of my research on www.examine.com ... And most supplements don't provide much value, especially when you have a diverse eating pattern.

And for some reason i couldnt get through the first 3 mins.. she is just annoying.

But i would also caution about putting all your eggs in one YouTube video. You truly want validate from multiple sources to see if its credible.