All pills are not snake oil

Options

Replies

• rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    In all fairness. I have seen posts saying multi vitamins, vit B and C etc etc just result in expensive wee.

Yes, because some people take insane amount of vitamins. The body can only absorb so much at one time and the rest is disposed of. Therefore, these "mega" vitamins are a waste of money.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    rjmudlax13 wrote: »
    In all fairness. I have seen posts saying multi vitamins, vit B and C etc etc just result in expensive wee.

Yes, because some people take insane amount of vitamins. The body can only absorb so much at one time and the rest is disposed of. Therefore, these "mega" vitamins are a waste of money.

Exactly. Also if they are a fat soluble vitamin, taking high doses of them can lead to toxicity. So if there is no deficiency, it doesn't make sense to take one really.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    999tigger wrote: »
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.

I don't remember the name of the supplement or "woo magic pill promiser" but there used to be commercials for it all the time a year or so ago. It made these lovely claims that you should only take it if you have more than 20 lbs to lose because it is SO powerful and that you can lose weight without any change to diet and exercise. I did some googling to find out exactly what was in this supplement since it was clearly woo. What is the powerful, magical supplement??? It had a bunch of vitamins in it (kind of like the magic vitamins in Shakeology that makes this peddlers say it is better) and fiber and caffeine. That's it. I laughed and closed google. SO POWERFUL. NO CHANGE IN DIET AND EXERCISE. People will believe anything for the promise of weight loss.

That was the world's most annoying infomercial, and that's saying a lot. There was one woman I really just wanted to punch in the face.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    All this talk about Alien and its successors, but no love for John Carpenter's The Thing?

You are all dead to me.
  • DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    All this talk about Alien and its successors, but no love for John Carpenter's The Thing?

You are all dead to me.
    Game over, man. Game over.

• JamestheLiar
    JamestheLiar Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »

You are all dead to me.
    Game over, man. Game over.

I was waiting for someone to quote that line. What a great line. Bill Paxton stole that whole movie.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    Azexas wrote: »
    Why is this thread back from the dead?

I don't know. I want to burn it with fire.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dude you just quoted my favorite movie ever....ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you!

Because it's the greatest movie ever!!!

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.
    The xenos were deadlier in Aliens - the xeno in Alien was a drone, while there were warriors in Aliens. The difference was a Burke pointed out: "these marines are some real tough hombres." That set up did make Aliens more of an action than horror film.
    Aliens still is one of my favorite SCI-FI films. Hudson and his one sarcastic one liners were great. And Vasquez turned my eye right away toward "fit" women. The first 2 Alien movies are the best of the franchise. I saw Aliens in a movie theater when it first came out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

We're definitely on the same page.

Hudson - "Have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
    Vasquez - "No, have you?"

Classic!
  • rjmudlax13
    rjmudlax13 Posts: 900 Member
    Options
    I've heard rumors that they are going to make a (hopefully good) sequel to Aliens. They pretty much are going to make believe 3 and 4 never were made and continue the story from 2. Also, there will be a link to Prometheus.
  • Lleldiranne
    Lleldiranne Posts: 5,516 Member
    Options
    BWBTrish wrote: »
    Funny when you read this thread

First of all almost all the people on here lost their weight with CICO

Second one or two people in this thread lost no weight or a bit and believing in the snake oils

And also does the snake oil companies dont have a site were you can discus the success of there products. And advice poor victims there?

This whole magic pill ( not talking about vitamins/minerals or supplements) business has been discussed hundreds of times here. I really dont see this thread as different as all the other useless garbage threads then this one.
    If OP thinks otherwise than i ask this...why join a calorie counting site..why dig up old threads. Why no weight loss of the OP when it is so good and successful to use the stuff.

And for MFP ( and moderators) why do you let this go on? Why open a closed thread? Thought you were all about a healthy way of managing weight? Is that not something that is written in the TOS?
    And sure everybody has his/her own opinion and right to express it.....but hasn't this gone far enough? I really wonder about this kinda things? Maybe big sponsors that need to be protected and not pissed off?

I think the hope is that, if we keep replying and refuting the idea of weight loss pills that work better than CICO, those who lurk (read but don't comment) and new members looking for the best start will get the correct information, rather than only the "Yep it worked great (don't reply if you haven't tried it)" stuff.

That's why we keep going.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    This turned into my favorite thread. It's been awhile.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    Why is this thread back from the dead?

I don't know. I want to burn it with fire.
    Nuke it from orbit. It's the only way to be sure.

Dude you just quoted my favorite movie ever....ALIENS!!!!!!!!!!!!! I <3 you!

Because it's the greatest movie ever!!!

I waver back & forth between Alien & Aliens. I love both movies so hard and Ripley was such an inspiration to me!
    I like Alien better. Aliens was cool in that the xenomorphs had more intelligence than we thought. Alien was cool because the xenomorph seemed like much more of a badass. The ones in Aliens were too easy to kill and succeeded more from sheer numbers than pure awesomeness as in Alien.
    The xenos were deadlier in Aliens - the xeno in Alien was a drone, while there were warriors in Aliens. The difference was a Burke pointed out: "these marines are some real tough hombres." That set up did make Aliens more of an action than horror film.
    Aliens still is one of my favorite SCI-FI films. Hudson and his one sarcastic one liners were great. And Vasquez turned my eye right away toward "fit" women. The first 2 Alien movies are the best of the franchise. I saw Aliens in a movie theater when it first came out.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

We're definitely on the same page.

Hudson - "Have you ever been mistaken for a man?"
    Vasquez - "No, have you?"

Classic!
    Fun Fact: The joke about Vasquez showing up because she thought they were talking about illegal aliens was actually taken from the casting call. Apparently the Jenette Goldstein (the actress playing Vasquez) actually showed up thinking the movie was about immigrants at first.
  • Azexas
    Azexas Posts: 4,334 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

There's one way to make it better ....
    ds04m1ex2yat.jpg
  • jessicarobinson00
    jessicarobinson00 Posts: 414 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I came here for the fun! Love reading the interesting comments, but at the end of the day: It's your body and your life. It's up to you to decide what to put in it, whether good for you or not. You shouldn't need the support of others to back you or be offended if others believe differently.
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

How is saying "abc doesn't work, save your money", condescending?

If they followed your method, they'd be upset by being told abc doesn't work, you can lose weight for free just by eating at a deficit.

• NoIdea101NoIdea
    NoIdea101NoIdea Posts: 659 Member
    Options
    smantha32 wrote: »

So if a new member comes here and posts "hey, guys, I'm new to the boards, looking for some support on this journey. I've had some success with xyz but it made me to jittery. My friend recommended abc and I'm wondering if anyone has tried it"

You think saying "there are no magic pills" is better than actually having a discussion about abc? And you think being sarcastic and condescending towards new posters is a good style for people here to learn? If you do, fine we disagree. If you don't then why are you arguing with me? I didn't ask for a supplement lesson.

How is saying "abc doesn't work, save your money", condescending?

If they followed your method, they'd be upset by being told abc doesn't work, you can lose weight for free just by eating at a deficit.

Plus, we have had these conversations so, so many times. Would it also be condescending to tell the OP to just use the search function? Can guarantee that none of our opinions on the several hundred threads about it would have changed!
  • smantha32
    smantha32 Posts: 6,990 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Has the OP actually provided ANY concrete examples of
    • a supplement that works as a diet pill
    • or has beneficial effects
    • That can be backed up with credible evidence that it works
    • That has been unfairly dismissed by the majority of mfpers as she claims and can prove.

I'd read the whole thread again, but it does tend to make your eyes bleed.
    If the OP cnat provide concrete examples, then what is she going on about and how has it got to ten pages?

Oh and 1 person agreed with her v how many who didnt?

If there was credible evidence some pill worked, we'd all be thin.

edited because UBB codes aren't working right dammit.
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    Alluminati wrote: »

There's one way to make it better ....
    ds04m1ex2yat.jpg

funny-seal-meme-seally-pun.jpg
  • SergeantSausage
    SergeantSausage Posts: 1,673 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Asharee011 wrote: »
    I've read a lot of posts on this site and I know there's no miracle pill but I do take supplements. Everyday. Everyone has there reasons, mine happen to be because my doctor told me to. I agree partially with the poster and partially with some others. When we reply to a post we should be helpful not critical and judgmental. People come here for help and support.

We should *always* be both critical and judgmental.

Without them, there is no real accountability.

• auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    thorsmom01 wrote: »
    I take natural beauty slimming products and swear by them they definitley have helped my loss, the caffiene helps with my energy and I dont eat as much, my cravings have gone right down. Though I have tried some suppliments from other companies and didnt lose a pound. Youve definitely got to try first before making your mind up

Can you prove they work other than your own annecdotal experience? Any studies that back up the effectiveness of the product you refer to? Its importnat becayse how do you know the cause of your loss was not due to soemthing else?

Caffeine is different, it does what it does and I dont think anyone here would deny it.

Of coarse they always forget to leave out the exact name of the snake oil.

I don't remember the name of the supplement or "woo magic pill promiser" but there used to be commercials for it all the time a year or so ago. It made these lovely claims that you should only take it if you have more than 20 lbs to lose because it is SO powerful and that you can lose weight without any change to diet and exercise. I did some googling to find out exactly what was in this supplement since it was clearly woo. What is the powerful, magical supplement??? It had a bunch of vitamins in it (kind of like the magic vitamins in Shakeology that makes this peddlers say it is better) and fiber and caffeine. That's it. I laughed and closed google. SO POWERFUL. NO CHANGE IN DIET AND EXERCISE. People will believe anything for the promise of weight loss.

That was the world's most annoying infomercial, and that's saying a lot. There was one woman I really just wanted to punch in the face.

It was. I pretty consistently fall asleep with the tv on (I like noise...well my noise, not your noise). I woke up to that informecial on a heck of a lot.

My contempt for it....and playing on the desperation and fear of those trying to lose weight with blatant lies and false claims....is almost being replaced with my contempt for seeing infomercials for that damn 21 Day Fix every morning when I wake up.

I used to fall to it all the time too; they always played it on trutv. Yes, my fiance is slightly concerned that I go to sleep watching real life crime shows...
This discussion has been closed.