WOMEN AGES 50+ FOR AUGUST 2105

Options

Replies

• barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :)Raymax the best thing I know for core strengthening is planks....they don't take long, no special equipment needed, and you can do them at home
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,128 Member
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    2157045gp85zev8ri.gif I did my weight training routine again today. It took about 55 minutes. Because I'm doing it at home, I can watch something I recorded on my DVR and use the 30-60 second rests between sets to fold laundry. I added some weight to the lifts I'm doing by wearing 5 pound wrist weights. That will do until the adjustable dumbbells I ordered come in. The new dumbbells will be adjustable up to about 50 pounds on each dumbbell...total 100 pounds for a lift. Since the heaviest I am doing now is 40 pounds, they should be good for a long time.

<3 Barbie from NW Washington

Great plan! I know you will be very successful!

Mary from Minnesota
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,576 Member
    Options
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Heather - as always, your meals sound delicious and exotic. Love the new shoes and the cutie wearing them. Have fun tomorrow with the grandbabies.

Janetr OKC

• Lagopus
    Lagopus Posts: 1,016 Member
    Options
    Hi all!

I've been gone for a long time but there's a reason for that, as you'll see below. No way have I been able to keep up with the thread. With nearly a thousand unread posts, I probably won't be able to go back through it either :/ so I'll just jump in right here.

Thanks to those of you who've expressed concern about my absence, one way or the other. :flowerforyou:

Just after I wrote about my goals for August, my 90-year-old mother fell while walking up our sloping lawn. She's broken both hips in the past 10 months. In some ways it's a miracle she was walking at all! Both her thighbones now end with titanium implants and the only thing she had left to break was her pelvis. So that's what she broke. We got her into the car and took her to the local hospital. They kept her there for three days, then released her — not back to the summer cottage, but to the retirement community where my parents spend most of their time, and where they have access to all kinds of medical assistance.

While my mother was in the hospital, my father and I had close up the cottage and move him, the two cats and all my parents' STUFF back to their main home. Moving the cats was one of the biggest challenges. They sensed that something was afoot when the boxes for all my father's computer equipment came out of storage. To make matters worse, we'd taken them to the vet just a few days earlier so they were extra wary. One of the cats weighs about 30 lbs and couldn't escape us if he tried, but the other crept to the far end of the closet under the stairs. There she crouched, cosy in the innermost foot-high space, well hidden behind 70 years' worth of stuff someone in my family has looked at and said "Hmm, it might come in handy some day." That and spiderwebs. Still, we managed to locate, capture and cage both cats in less than the half hour we had allotted for the task. The big one yowled throughout the 47-minute drive.

Even before my mother broke her pelvis they had planned to move back home, but that was intended for the weekend, when my sister and her husband could come down and help. There was a lot more stuff to transport than would fit in a single car, so after one night in my parents' apartment, I went back to the cottage with my sister, brother-in-law and niece, and we finished closing up. The fridge had about a week's worth of food in it. Before my mom ended up in the hospital, I had all our meals planned so we wouldn't have leftovers or perishables to worry about when we closed the cottage. Those plans fell through in the chaos and my sister's family and I ate a couple of exceedingly odd meals in an attempt to clean out the fridge.

And how's my mother? She's one tough lady! Despite the broken pelvis, she was up and walking with assistance on the second day. After five days she was dressing and going to the bathroom all by herself. On days 8, 9 and 10 she showed the occupational therapist she could do her own hair, wash dishes, and water the plants and 11 days after the fracture, she was allowed to move from assisted living back to their apartment in the independent living wing. She's in some pain despite taking pain meds four times a day, but she's at home with my father and the cats, absolutely determined to make things work.

All these health and relocation issues took a lot of my time and attention. (Relocation applies not just to my parents, but also to ME! I've flown home to my own "cottage" in northern Norway.) There simply hasn't been time to hang around in front of a computer! I went to New Hampshire fully expecting to gain weight (as I usually do) but hoping at least to keep it in check. Now that I've been reunited with a set of scales I trust, I see I've gained less than one pound. So I'm happy!

Oh, one more thing: an enjoyable side-effect of all our enforced idleness in hospitals and care facilities was that we had extra chances to sing together! My family is all about music and singing; my mother worked as an organist and choir director for over half a century. I'm a soprano, my father's a bass, and my mother has always filled in whatever voice is missing — usually tenor. So when we had nothing to do and nowhere to go, my father brought out the suitcase full of sheet music and we whiled away the time with singing. Staff and other patients gathered shyly outside our door, listening and applauding, but we did it just for ourselves, just for the fun of it.

/Penny, back on the thread, back near the Pole
  • pipcd34
    Options
    stats for the day;
    spin - 32min, 97ar, 92aw, 9-11g, 15.2mi = 276c
    other - filling up dog food 36.35min = 81c
    357cal
  • bjlshops
    bjlshops Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thank you for the warm welcome. Love the kitchen pics. Half of our kitchen is torn out due to a water leak. Now i can't decide what i want to do. Total remodel or just the bare minimum.

I'll try to learn names as i go, but fully admit to not being good with names.

Mollywhippet: I'm an IV&V agent... fancy name for..."independent contractor hired to make sure they built it the way they said they would". :)
    The important item is that i have two dogs, a young 6-pound shi tzu and a senior 15-pound lhaso-pom mix. Both too cutting for their own good.

Day one of new commitment went well. Logged all food. Walked enough to stress the muscles.

And yes i am an Aunt. :D
  • janetr7476
    janetr7476 Posts: 4,001 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Penny, back on the thread, back near the Pole - Penny I am so sorry to read of your mother's fall. Very glad to hear that she is back "home" with your Dad. She truly must be a very strong, determined lady. I was beginning to ask others about you and worrying for you. Glad all is OK now and you're back home. Very exciting on the less than one lb. gain. The singing sounds like terrific therapy and so much fun.

So good to have you back.

Janetr OKC
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,727 Member
    Options
    Penny~ sounds like you had your hands full.. we did miss you.. glad your mom is a tough cookie..
    Tom and I went down to see DFIL ohhh boy today was one of those days.. trazidone so far 3 times.. he was yelling and gritting his teeth and being rude, so we wheeled him out of the dining room so he wouldn't upset the rest of the residents.. no breakfast.
    Pat the nurse gave him some wheaties at around 10, wouldnt eat his candy(pills inside) so she crushed the pills put them on the wheaties.. that worked, I went down after lunch just to check on him and bring one of the residents candy that I had bought her and he was still raging.. one of the women was wheeling him down the other hallway and and so the nurse had to get her, Is there a full moon tonight?
    Hope everyone had a great weekend.. I tried eating well,but didnt do great.. back to the gym early am, and working 40 hrs this week..
  • raymax4
    raymax4 Posts: 6,070 Member
    Options
    Katla49 wrote: »
    Raymax: I don't own a horse but have always wanted one. The horse in the photo is owned by the beach stable that offers beach rides to tourists. The photo was taken on my birthday last year. The lesson horse I ride now is owned by my teacher. At this time in my life, I don't have what it takes to be a responsible horse owner. I've considered leasing down the road. DH has numerous health issues and even a lease would not work for me at this point.

Enjoy Riding when you can. Sorry about DH's health issues. I hope they can get improved health. As for you may your dreams come true
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Hi all!

I've been gone for a long time but there's a reason for that, as you'll see below. No way have I been able to keep up with the thread. With nearly a thousand unread posts, I probably won't be able to go back through it either :/ so I'll just jump in right here.

Thanks to those of you who've expressed concern about my absence, one way or the other. :flowerforyou:

Just after I wrote about my goals for August, my 90-year-old mother fell while walking up our sloping lawn. She's broken both hips in the past 10 months. In some ways it's a miracle she was walking at all! Both her thighbones now end with titanium implants and the only thing she had left to break was her pelvis. So that's what she broke. We got her into the car and took her to the local hospital. They kept her there for three days, then released her — not back to the summer cottage, but to the retirement community where my parents spend most of their time, and where they have access to all kinds of medical assistance.

While my mother was in the hospital, my father and I had close up the cottage and move him, the two cats and all my parents' STUFF back to their main home. Moving the cats was one of the biggest challenges. They sensed that something was afoot when the boxes for all my father's computer equipment came out of storage. To make matters worse, we'd taken them to the vet just a few days earlier so they were extra wary. One of the cats weighs about 30 lbs and couldn't escape us if he tried, but the other crept to the far end of the closet under the stairs. There she crouched, cosy in the innermost foot-high space, well hidden behind 70 years' worth of stuff someone in my family has looked at and said "Hmm, it might come in handy some day." That and spiderwebs. Still, we managed to locate, capture and cage both cats in less than the half hour we had allotted for the task. The big one yowled throughout the 47-minute drive.

Even before my mother broke her pelvis they had planned to move back home, but that was intended for the weekend, when my sister and her husband could come down and help. There was a lot more stuff to transport than would fit in a single car, so after one night in my parents' apartment, I went back to the cottage with my sister, brother-in-law and niece, and we finished closing up. The fridge had about a week's worth of food in it. Before my mom ended up in the hospital, I had all our meals planned so we wouldn't have leftovers or perishables to worry about when we closed the cottage. Those plans fell through in the chaos and my sister's family and I ate a couple of exceedingly odd meals in an attempt to clean out the fridge.

And how's my mother? She's one tough lady! Despite the broken pelvis, she was up and walking with assistance on the second day. After five days she was dressing and going to the bathroom all by herself. On days 8, 9 and 10 she showed the occupational therapist she could do her own hair, wash dishes, and water the plants and 11 days after the fracture, she was allowed to move from assisted living back to their apartment in the independent living wing. She's in some pain despite taking pain meds four times a day, but she's at home with my father and the cats, absolutely determined to make things work.

All these health and relocation issues took a lot of my time and attention. (Relocation applies not just to my parents, but also to ME! I've flown home to my own "cottage" in northern Norway.) There simply hasn't been time to hang around in front of a computer! I went to New Hampshire fully expecting to gain weight (as I usually do) but hoping at least to keep it in check. Now that I've been reunited with a set of scales I trust, I see I've gained less than one pound. So I'm happy!

Oh, one more thing: an enjoyable side-effect of all our enforced idleness in hospitals and care facilities was that we had extra chances to sing together! My family is all about music and singing; my mother worked as an organist and choir director for over half a century. I'm a soprano, my father's a bass, and my mother has always filled in whatever voice is missing — usually tenor. So when we had nothing to do and nowhere to go, my father brought out the suitcase full of sheet music and we whiled away the time with singing. Staff and other patients gathered shyly outside our door, listening and applauding, but we did it just for ourselves, just for the fun of it.

Welcome back!!!! I have a mom that's 93., lives alone. She has her senses but body not good, walking. Her dad was from Norway, this is what I contribute to her strong will!!! Glad to hear she is doing so well , your dad n how well you did!!! Gayle Minneapolis
  • raymax4
    Options
    Lagopus wrote: »
    Hi all!

Way to make a tough situation positive. Good taking care of mom and dad.
  • raymax4
    Options
    barbiecat wrote: »
    :)Raymax the best thing I know for core strengthening is planks....they don't take long, no special equipment needed, and you can do them at home

Ok I can do 5 sets of 40 seconds. Any hints to help me take deeper breaths?
  • barbiecat
    barbiecat Posts: 16,940 Member
    Options
    :) Raymax, I have no idea about breathing while exercising...I guess I should learn more.

:) Penny, it's good to see you back...you have had quite a series of challenges....your mom is awesome

<3 Barbie
  • dreamwriter
    dreamwriter Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Allison - A picnic with friends sounds like a good time.

Heather - Those are some cute shoes! She looks very happy to show them off.

Penny - I am glad to hear your Mother is doing well. You certainly had a lot to deal with but it would have been worse if she wasn't such a strong woman. It's great that you had music to bring you through it all.

Slept in this morning because of the rough night. Not sure if it was the glass of pop or some spice in the food. I am not a big fan of not knowing exactly what's in the food. Enough Sushi for this girl for a while.

Kids were up early. DGS was playing with his new phone at 6:30 a.m. He is so in love with it right now and trying to put all his friends into the contact list. Who knew that not having one was isolating him a bit? I never thought of it as he is busy with guitar, swimming and long boarding. He was very happy to face time with his cousin.

I made brunch but it was apparently not what DH had in his head. He wanted my spanish omelette with pancakes and I did not make that. My mind meld must be malfunctioning.

DD is a little worse for wear after last night's party. We still managed to accomplish a few errands.

So looking forward to this BBQ with the girls. I bought some wine. Now, I have to decide wine, Margaritas or water.

Sharon In Lethbridge.
    0067808 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Hi ladies - haven't been on this thread before, apologies if this seems a weird time to post but I'm from Belfast, Northern Ireland so I guess our time zones are quite a bit different from many of you! I've worked full time in a bank for 35 years and my job involves me flying from Belfast to London every Monday, working over there until Thursday night, then flying back and working at home on Fridays. So my biggest challenge is staying 'on track' whilst in hotels, sitting bored around airport terminals, on trains for hours etc. I've been trying to make sure I do some power walking in the evenings whilst it doesn't get dark too early, and checking as far as I can the nutritional values of the food I'm eating. Goal is to lose 4 lbs by the end of September and to improve overall stamina/fitness. I'll have been married 30 years in October and would like to get into better shape as we're hoping to organise a holiday to celebrate. Good luck to all you 50+ MFP members, especially if like me you have that little 'window' when the kids are grown up and the parents are still reasonably healthy - a chance to invest in yourself and your own health for a while however short.
  • margf
    margf Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Well today I get to walk or the first time in 8 and half weeks! Yay!!! Very excited to get going and very worried about how it will all go! Now my goal will be to get back to my walking and lose weight for my Christmas cruise. Good luck with your day everyone......
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Hope everyone is having a good sun.Our town had their parade today,sat in the shade and watched some.it` s hot 90,feels like 100.Got grocery shopping done,now chilling in the air.
    Hugs jane
  • pipcd34
    Options
    hey peeps - i never take naps but today i had to. i took a tramadol, hoping something would work. i just had to lay down and be still. i think that helped. tomorrow is another day. now i am thinking how many more vacation/sick days i have left and how much down time i will be told to do after the surgery and will i have enough paid time to cover it. also kirby is going to do the marathon in november in california, so thinking will i have enough time off to go. haven't been in this position in a very long time. i've never seen a doctor so much so it's using up my paid time off
  • Annr
    Annr Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Ohhh thanks to the ladies that posted their GORGEOUS pics of their kitchens... My kitchen is a walk in kitchen and really small. Our apt is about 850 sq ft. so I am green with envy at all your cabinets and countertops!!! Over the years I have gotten rid of so much, when we resided in California. I think I had a garage sale a couple of times a month. I got my sons to downsize as well. I think the fact that we moved so much in the Navy (25 times about )prepared my two older sons for garage sales, but not my youngest son. He was our "Retirement baby", back in 1998 when, at 37, my husband retired from the Navy. We would have to ban him from the garage sales because he would pick up old toys saying, "WHY??" in a dramatic voice. Which was comical to think back on. We moved up to Northern CA from San Diego area, and then we were vacationing in Canada (husband had a month of paid leave still left on the books) we found out we weren't getting paid. The Navy had just put him in "out of the Navy status" not "retired getting paid" status. So we traveled back to Oregon from Canada in a panic. He made many calls to the Ship he retired from, getting it all squared away. Meanwhile, I couldn't visit the military hospital because we technically were out of the military....it was a mess. On top of that we had moved to Fairfield, (by Sacramento kind of) and it was summer so....Im pregnant, a non-driver, and living in a furnace. I remember yelling.....THERE IS NOTHING FAIR about THIS place....you have moved me to HELL.... I was quite a dramatic pregnant person.

Had a nice walk with husband, and watched all the fishing boats drive around the Columbia River in erratic fashions. How they could catch a fish in all that chaos is a mystery to me.

My cherry tomatoes are ripening nicely. I picked a bunch and made a BST sandwich (bacon, spinach and tomato). I only had one slice of bacon, so not really too much in calories. Then I bought light Best Foods mayo, so for 2 T. its not much either!

We are sooo low on staples its hard to fashion meals this month. Tomorrow we will be able to visit a food bank so we can stock up on some items. The fact that my husband put 20 yrs in the military makes me think to myself, "he put his life into the military, it's time society took care of us". So I have no shame or guilt when we go to the food bank. We do what we have to do. I suppose we both could get jobs, but presently I feel I just got him returned to me, to our family, and I want to spend as much time as possible with him. If we worked, or one of us worked, then we would have more money sure, but no time together to put it to use. Right now, we are together, we are solid, and we are happy. Money won't change that. But a job could change that. I think of this year as our first year in marriage. Even though we have been married 31 years, having him back after his liver transplant has given us new footing. After awhile I imagine we will tire of each other, but Im appreciating him in the now. So he works on regaining his strength, and I work on regaining my self-worth. Together we support each other.

Becca
    Oregon Coast