Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• kelly_c_77
    kelly_c_77 Posts: 5,658 Member
    Options

ETA: I am looking forward to seeing Sgt. Sexy Pants on Tuesday. I am NOT looking forward to baking him banana cupcakes tomorrow....oh the temptation... :astonished:

Did you choose what type of frosting you are doing yet?
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    I am going to runny 5k called the Rucksack Rush on October 10. It benefits families of deployed military, including a Christmas party for the kids. There's an option to run it carrying a 30lb Rucksack -- I may try it, I can hike 15 with that much. @pofoster - I blame you for running all over, every chance you get and making it sound fun.

I think thats brilliant. Well done. Believe me, families of the deployed, and Veterans, really need and appreciate the support.

As I always say on armistice day: There is no such thing as an uninjured soldier.

Truer words were never spoken: right after my dad came back from Vietnam, I made the mistake of shaking his shoulder to wake him up. He came awake swinging and knocked me 15 feet across the room. That was my first experience with PTSD. I was 6 and learned a valuable lesson. Daddy loves me when he knows who I am. Anyone unidentified is an enemy. He was super sorry and bought me a Barbie House to make up for it. I was neither hurt nor mad, but I kept the house. He is 82 and still has nightmares.

Oh man that is so horrible for your dad. :( And you at 6. I would have been terrified.
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »
    I am going to runny 5k called the Rucksack Rush on October 10. It benefits families of deployed military, including a Christmas party for the kids. There's an option to run it carrying a 30lb Rucksack -- I may try it, I can hike 15 with that much. @pofoster - I blame you for running all over, every chance you get and making it sound fun.

Well I don't run carrying 30 lbs so that is all on you. But good for you!

That will mostly be to prove my 15yo JrROTC son that I can and as fast as he can, if I do it. I plan to take my backpack to the gym and run on the treadmill with a 35lb plate next week before I commit.

Be careful you don't hurt yourself.
  • spamarie
    spamarie Posts: 2,825 Member
    Options
    I'm back from my week off. I hesitate to call it a holiday since we were doing some major renovations at home. I managed to get my bathroom in a liveable state, but we're sleeping in a freshly plastered bedroom and back to work so won't be doing much on it until next weekend. Oh well. At least the ceiling is fixed. You could see the sky through parts of it before!

I'm 40+ pages behind and doubt I will ever catch up so apologies for missing something major.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    Confession: I am extremely frustrated that I have been trying to schedule outside of work time with SSP and it just has NOT been going the way I want at all.
    To add to my frustration, SSP wants to have some spontaneity in things and keeps propping up with impromptu times we could hang out, and I have to say no because my dad doesn't have a driver's license still and I have to drive him and my uncle everywhere. My schedule is SO FULL and every time I try to rearrange things something comes up to ruin all of my plans.
    The worst part is I'm afraid he will stop asking for those impromptu moments because I've said no so many times. I worry that one time I might say yes, to keep that from happening, and I'll miss out on a bunch of sleep and that will make him feel guilty and not ask for those times anymore.
    I just want to curl up in a bubble bath and cry. I feel like I work so hard to make up for my mother's absence and it just never goes my way sometimes. Then, when my mother is here, I have time to actually SEE SSP and I can't because I feel guilty leaving my mom because I don't get to see her that often.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »

That will mostly be to prove my 15yo JrROTC son that I can and as fast as he can, if I do it. I plan to take my backpack to the gym and run on the treadmill with a 35lb plate next week before I commit.

Holy cow...I can't imagine running on my treadmill with an extra 35lbs! That's pretty good right there! Good luck! :)

I imagine I will get some strange looks, but I don't really care. It's that or load the pack with cans from my pantry and put them all away again. Heck to the no!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    @lilaclovebird - wrap the cupcakes in birthday paper. It will mentally put them off limits; you wouldn't take SSP's birthday gift, right?
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

Be careful you don't hurt yourself.

I will be careful. I really do hike with that much and I lift heavier than that doing tows, etc...

• MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    Confession: I am extremely frustrated that I have been trying to schedule outside of work time with SSP and it just has NOT been going the way I want at all.
    To add to my frustration, SSP wants to have some spontaneity in things and keeps propping up with impromptu times we could hang out, and I have to say no because my dad doesn't have a driver's license still and I have to drive him and my uncle everywhere. My schedule is SO FULL and every time I try to rearrange things something comes up to ruin all of my plans.
    The worst part is I'm afraid he will stop asking for those impromptu moments because I've said no so many times. I worry that one time I might say yes, to keep that from happening, and I'll miss out on a bunch of sleep and that will make him feel guilty and not ask for those times anymore.
    I just want to curl up in a bubble bath and cry. I feel like I work so hard to make up for my mother's absence and it just never goes my way sometimes. Then, when my mother is here, I have time to actually SEE SSP and I can't because I feel guilty leaving my mom because I don't get to see her that often.

I know they are your parents, but schedule them, not him. Then give him that schedule and drop everything any other time.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    @MelissaPhippsFeagins I think that's an idea. I did talk with someone else tonight and he asked if I had 'prioritized' my life. I realized it was like this:

1) Family(Mom, Dad, Uncle, Dog, Cats, and Ferrets)

2) Work(Covering for others when they call in sick and being ready at any time to come into work on my days off)

3) Myself (This includes but is not limited to, showers, painting my toenails, workouts, meal planning, and spending time with SSP)

When I verbalized this list he suggested that maybe I should put MYSELF as first priority for a while. He said he notices when I do it for a little while and I seem happier, less stressed, etc. I hadn't really thought about it. And doing it, even for just a little while (a month or so) would be helpful.

And if I put MYSELF first then I am going to schedule my family. If they aren't ready ready (Like walk out the door that second ready) then I will just drop the whole idea and just have to say "I love you guys but you're not following the schedule and being respectful of my time enough to go. I will buy what I need at the grocery store at a time when it is convenient for ME and you will just have to wait until your next scheduled appointment."

If my father had kept the government on their toes regarding his naturalization papers, he wouldn't have had to wait until his driver's license expired to go get a new one. As it stands I need a WHOLE DAY to get him his license now because he has to retake the written and the driving tests.
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options

I think thats brilliant. Well done. Believe me, families of the deployed, and Veterans, really need and appreciate the support.

As I always say on armistice day: There is no such thing as an uninjured soldier.

Truer words were never spoken: right after my dad came back from Vietnam, I made the mistake of shaking his shoulder to wake him up. He came awake swinging and knocked me 15 feet across the room. That was my first experience with PTSD. I was 6 and learned a valuable lesson. Daddy loves me when he knows who I am. Anyone unidentified is an enemy. He was super sorry and bought me a Barbie House to make up for it. I was neither hurt nor mad, but I kept the house. He is 82 and still has nightmares.

Thanks for your dad's service & anyone who is military or former military thank you also for your service. How long was he in the service?

A few years ago I had the pleasure of ringing up a customer that fought in World War II.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    @MelissaPhippsFeagins I think that's an idea. I did talk with someone else tonight and he asked if I had 'prioritized' my life. I realized it was like this:

2) Work(Covering for others when they call in sick and being ready at any time to come into work on my days off)

3) Myself (This includes but is not limited to, showers, painting my toenails, workouts, meal planning, and spending time with SSP)

When I verbalized this list he suggested that maybe I should put MYSELF as first priority for a while. He said he notices when I do it for a little while and I seem happier, less stressed, etc. I hadn't really thought about it. And doing it, even for just a little while (a month or so) would be helpful.

And if I put MYSELF first then I am going to schedule my family. If they aren't ready ready (Like walk out the door that second ready) then I will just drop the whole idea and just have to say "I love you guys but you're not following the schedule and being respectful of my time enough to go. I will buy what I need at the grocery store at a time when it is convenient for ME and you will just have to wait until your next scheduled appointment."

If my father had kept the government on their toes regarding his naturalization papers, he wouldn't have had to wait until his driver's license expired to go get a new one. As it stands I need a WHOLE DAY to get him his license now because he has to retake the written and the driving tests.
    I love this. Yes, you get priority too!
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    edited August 2015
    Options

I've been married to Denni for 23 years. I truly believe it's because he's the first person on my schedule. -- there is Hershey ice cream in my diary from Saturday because he kidnapped me to the ice cream/coffee shop, no kids allowed. (It's good to have teens.)

ETA: And yes, you should prioritize you. I think I am going to work in a mani/pedi this week.
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    I appear to be living on cake batter and biscuit dough this weekend :(

I have made: 48 cupcakes; a train cake with 5 carriages, 50 safari animal biscuits, endless jelly lego bricks and lego robots and jelly dinosaurs.

I am exhausted (and a little sick). As well as entertaining an (almost) three year old for three days. And boy can he outrun me!

However, on the positive side, after dropping Charlie home tonight, i drove to 3 different supermarkets looking for junk to cram in my face (sour cream to make ranch; big packs of crisps; pizza). i picked stuff up and put stuff down and ultimately did not buy anything, in any shop. I found that i really didn't want any of it, none of it appealed. So i put it down and walked away. (I was actually in the supermarkets for a baking product, which i couldn't find in any of them - but my plan to was buy the junk in any of the shops i got the product in). So, despite all the cake batter i may have had, i'm still calling it a win.

That is an awesome NSV! I am always so proud when I can do that!!
    Happy Almost Birthday to Charlie!!!!

@orangesmartie agreed with everything Kelly put here.

*edited to add*

It's always an accomplishment for me when I don't buy any ice cream or snacky foods when I am at the store. I took the rest of the Brownie Batter Oreos to work & put them on the table for a morning meeting & then left them for other coworkers to enjoy.

Yep yep I agree with everyone else!

I went on a baking spree this past weekend and managed to not cram my face full of soy free/gluten free/dairy free cake and bread and PannuKakku and flapjacks... it was awesome!
  • xLoveLikeWinterx
    xLoveLikeWinterx Posts: 408 Member
    Options
    OK so I am back from my mini Vacation (we didn't go anywhere; I just had doctor consults and didn't want to be at work for a few days). Trying to catch up with everyone but with 900 new posts...not sure how well I'll do.

Wed I had doctor consults for my surgeries all day and...discussed it with DH and I booked surgeries for 10/30! 2 surgeons estimated they'd remove about 8 lbs of skin, the 3rd and 4th ones said it'd be closer to 10 lb. Either way, in 10.5 weeks I'll be having surgery! Yippie! I'm a candidate for insurance covering some of it, but we're preparing like they won't cover anything, so we'll see... I'm getting a full abdominoplasty with an extended cut to grab skin from the sides and a fleur de lis (vertical) cut which grabs even more. Plus a breast reduction. I'll have extensive scarring but it'll fade and it's worth it.

All 4 docs said not to lose anymore weight, just maintain, because I'm actually on the "skinny side" underneath all the skin. That was weird but I guess it's to be expected. I see myself as lumpy and fat but it's almost all skin- I weighed in at 127 and 128 at 2 of the offices (the other 2 didn't weigh me). If they take 8 lb of skin that puts me at 119-120. I'm 5'4.5. So now I'm trying to figure out how to eat enough to maintain.
  • FroggyBug
    FroggyBug Posts: 4,883 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    The weather here is beyond vile. Its is so dark outside and the clouds are pretty much sitting on top of the houses. Very heavy rain, but still quite warm and humid.

So of course, my mood is affected. Feeling a bit icky and low. I want to go to the gym but can't quite find the motivation to go. Or do anything really. I have ordered a set of dumbells from amazon, they should be delivered tomorrow.

I was reading an article on this the other day. We've had a very foggy winter in my city, with very little sunlight in the mornings (sometimes the fog merely thins around midday before thickening again in the evening). There's a link between sunlight and mood - I can't remember exactly what, but they were saying there was a definite correlation between the foggy winter and the general mood of the people who live in the city. Something to do with vitamin D, I think. I noticed it myself recently - if it's super-foggy, cloudy, my mood will generally be worse, than today for example, when I was really tired (sleep problems last night) but really happy and upbeat because the sun was out and shining with some warmth.

I'm weird because I'm actually the opposite. I'm in a better mood when it is foggy, rainy, stormy etc.

But I've always heard that the bad weather can make people feel down too.

I'm trying to catch up but it's going to be another busy day at work with no computer to use for most the day. :(
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    I have not had a good experience when I went to a therapist in high school (dermatologist told my mom I didn't have an acne issue... I was picking my face to death for 'other reasons' and that my acne would be fine if I would leave it alone) and I found it useless... BUT I know lots of people who have good experiences but you need to find the right one. This guy might not be for you.

Glad you ended up having a nice evening. Post the shoes! I want to see!

Thanks for the comments everyone.

I'll post a pic later but they are just sneakers so you probably won't be as interested. :) I'll have to post pictures of the few heels I do have though because you might like them.

I'll try to remember to do that. It's going to be a busy week. I have physical therapy (last one tonight!!!) and the regular therapy and then we are going camping next week so I'm trying to get all packed up/get supplies for that. Plus at work we are opening a new location so I'm helping set that up (which means no computer since they don't have anything set up yet :-P )
  • FroggyBug
    Options
    Tubbs216 wrote: »
    Anyone heard from @KylerJaye? Hoping she's doing ok.

:( Me too. I'm still way behind but I hope that she posted something.
  • orangesmartie
    orangesmartie Posts: 1,870 Member
    Options
    You know, I am always amazed by Americans, who thank military personnel for their service, particularly when they don't know the person/people. I see it online/hear it a lot. Its just not something we do over here. And I wish we did. I am awed by our military personnel, the sacrifices they make and the risks they take.

There is a brilliant set of videos on youtube, called 'You're not in the forces now' which explains how basic training works, installing the symptoms of PTSD, and the effects thereof. They explain, really well, that is not seeing action/combat/missions that cause PTSD, those symtoms are instilled from day 1. It was so enlightening.

It also explained to me why 'extraordinary interrogation' techniques are so effective. Its exactly the same way we train our soldiers.

Mr Smartie has told me some of the missions he went on (he was special forces) and I cannot contemplate seeing some of those things, never mind living with them day after day.

As my mum pointed out to me on Friday, every man and woman that makes it through basic training should be thanked, and told just what strong people they are. Not everyone can get even that far.

Obviously, all of this stuff hits very close to home. I live with the after effects of this training every day.

So break with British tradition, to everyone who is currently serving, has served, or who has family and friends serving, thank you for your service.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I need a day off to recover from my weekend. Think my boss will go for that? LOL