Options

Replies

• RockstarWilson
    RockstarWilson Posts: 836 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    karyabc wrote: »
    moyer566 wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba
    I do plenty of cooking on my own but I like the taste of fast food too

and mcgriddles: happy syrupy bacon goodness

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Oh dear and sweet popeyes :'( I.effing. <3 . U

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I agree with this^^.
    There are certain Burgers that have a good amount of Protein in them.
    Plus, there are days when you just want a day off from cooking from scratch.
    There's no harm in eating fast food occasionally.

Any protein value in a meal that is less than 30g is a value of empty calories. You may as well be drinking beer. Your body can't use less than that amount for protein synthesis to reverse the catabolic state you are in by lunchtime. Check out Dr. Layman's research on protein and carbs. It is quite fascinating.

Dr. Layman is Professor Emeritus at Illinois University. He has his own nutrition lab out there, and focuses on metabolism of protein and carbohydrates.

Check out this site, scroll down about halfway to the video of his speech. If you have the time, it is about one hour, but it is definitely educational regarding weight loss and lean mass.http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html
    If you go watch, watch all the way through, otherwise, you won't have full context.

Actually, the research is probably fine but the conclusion by the web site is absolutely incorrect. Leucine is the amino that is used in the synthesis of skeletal muscles, this is well known. The idea in the paper is that you need 4.5g of leucine rich food to optimize protein synthesis. What he actually says in his paper, which is only an overview of some other research, is that you should space out your protein intake, 90g+, evenly over 3 meals for reasons of saiety and sufficiency and to maximize protein synthesis in muscles, which is probably a minimal amount of difference in reality.

The silly statement on the keto website you link (re: <30g of protein is converted to carbs) is not found in the research paper nor would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from it. You can find the full text here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666737/ What it really said was that you need over 30g of protein that is rich in leucine to maximize skeletal muscle synthesis, which is a completely different conclusion.

Hence why the author of the article lists research in contrast to his claims, and why I told you to watch the video. I said nothing about the actual article.

But once again, someone thinks a website is "silly" because they don't agree with everything on it. Go figure.
  • RockstarWilson
    Options
    auddii wrote: »
    because I like the way mcdonalds tastes. and Wendy's and popeyes and taco bell and dominos and qdoba

Wendy's Spicy Chicken Sandwich w/ Cheese is amazing. I'll work that into my budget any time I have the chance!

Also, for what it's worth, since we're talking about nutrition, it's not like my chicken sandwich from Wendy's has no nutritional value. The way I get it (no mayo, add cheese), it has 550 calories with 35g of protein, 21g of fat, and 58g of carbs. The calories are high, but that's why I eat them on days when I've worked hard. To say you don't get any nutrients from fast food is to show a clear misunderstanding of how this all works.

I agree with this^^.

Any protein value in a meal that is less than 30g is a value of empty calories. You may as well be drinking beer. Your body can't use less than that amount for protein synthesis to reverse the catabolic state you are in by lunchtime. Check out Dr. Layman's research on protein and carbs. It is quite fascinating.

Dr. Layman is Professor Emeritus at Illinois University. He has his own nutrition lab out there, and focuses on metabolism of protein and carbohydrates.

Check out this site, scroll down about halfway to the video of his speech. If you have the time, it is about one hour, but it is definitely educational regarding weight loss and lean mass.http://www.ketogenic-diet-resource.com/daily-protein-requirement.html
    If you go watch, watch all the way through, otherwise, you won't have full context.

Actually, the research is probably fine but the conclusion by the web site is absolutely incorrect. Leucine is the amino that is used in the synthesis of skeletal muscles, this is well known. The idea in the paper is that you need 4.5g of leucine rich food to optimize protein synthesis. What he actually says in his paper, which is only an overview of some other research, is that you should space out your protein intake, 90g+, evenly over 3 meals for reasons of saiety and sufficiency and to maximize protein synthesis in muscles, which is probably a minimal amount of difference in reality.

The silly statement on the keto website you link (re: <30g of protein is converted to carbs) is not found in the research paper nor would be a reasonable conclusion to draw from it. You can find the full text here: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2666737/ What it really said was that you need over 30g of protein that is rich in leucine to maximize skeletal muscle synthesis, which is a completely different conclusion.
    But watching a video is easier than actually reading and comprehending...

The video has a visual aid that demonstrates the trials he has completed, explains what people who do not have a PhD in Nutrition Science might not understand, and gives an increased amount of related statistics.

Also notice that I asked you to watch the hourlong video that relates to Dr. Layman, whose views on protein intake are in contrast to the author's claims. I said nothing about analyzing the original article.

Dr. Layman does say that you should eat more than 30 g protein at each meal (up to a certain amount) to make leucine readily available. He says that if you eat less than 30 grams of protein at each meal, muscle protein synthesis does not occur (there is a threshold), some of the proteins get transported to organ function (I think-i have to review), but the rest get broken down and converted to glucose. If the glucose is not used, then it gets stored as fat.
  • Wheelhouse15
    Wheelhouse15 Posts: 5,575 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree with this^^.

Hence why the author of the article lists research in contrast to his claims, and why I told you to watch the video. I said nothing about the actual article.

But once again, someone thinks a website is "silly" because they don't agree with everything on it. Go figure.

Yep it's silly and unsupported by any primary sources, but you are indoctrinated so have fun with it. Again, nothing in that source paper that he published backs this claim or even makes this claim -- that was only an assumption by the blogger and went far beyond the support of the data. Read the paper and show me where anywhere it says that <30g of protein at one time is converted to carbs.

• Pinnacle_IAO
    Pinnacle_IAO Posts: 608 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    First, let's call fast food what it really is: junk!
    It's mostly empty calories from highly processed foods that are just unhealthy.

I go to KFC, McD, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut...or wherever...you name it... >:)
    ...and it's never to eat healthy. It's a fabulous treat and an enjoyable experience where I celebrate life like a marathon runner enjoying a cheap cigar and a beer after a solid training session.
    A beer and a cigar have no purpose toward physical health and overall wellness, but sometimes life is just to be lived.

If you eat fast food garbage, go in and enjoy, but go in with eyes wide open.
    Don't ever lie to yourself and call that junk healthy.
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree with this^^.

The video has a visual aid that demonstrates the trials he has completed, explains what people who do not have a PhD in Nutrition Science might not understand, and gives an increased amount of related statistics.

Also notice that I asked you to watch the hourlong video that relates to Dr. Layman, whose views on protein intake are in contrast to the author's claims. I said nothing about analyzing the original article.

Dr. Layman does say that you should eat more than 30 g protein at each meal (up to a certain amount) to make leucine readily available. He says that if you eat less than 30 grams of protein at each meal, muscle protein synthesis does not occur (there is a threshold), some of the proteins get transported to organ function (I think-i have to review), but the rest get broken down and converted to glucose. If the glucose is not used, then it gets stored as fat.

Again you not correctly respresenting the conclusions presented in the paper, which make me think you have never read it. He said that <30g was SUBOPTIMAL not that there was no synthesis at all. Where are you getting these satements? Certainly not in the primary sources or even Dr Layman's paper itself.
  • tincanonastring
    tincanonastring Posts: 3,944 Member
    Options

I go to KFC, McD, Burger King, Taco Bell, Pizza Hut...or wherever...you name it... >:)
    ...and it's never to eat healthy. It's a fabulous treat and an enjoyable experience where I celebrate life like a marathon runner enjoying a cheap cigar and a beer after a solid training session.
    A beer and a cigar has no purpose toward physical health and overall wellness, but sometimes life is just to be lived.

Could you check out the calories and macro/micro breakdowns I gave for my "junk" fast food sandwich and tell me why it's "just unhealthy" "garbage?"
  • RockstarWilson
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree with this^^.

Yep it's silly and unsupported by any primary sources, but you are indoctrinated so have fun with it. Again, nothing in that source paper that he published backs this claim or even makes this claim -- that was only an assumption by the blogger and went far beyond the support of the data. Read the paper and show me where anywhere it says that <30g of protein at one time is converted to carbs.

The NCBI article on Dr. Layman's research is from 2009. I have read it, and he does state in the paper that having less than 30 grams at a meal doesn't contribute to synthesis, as dictated by leucine:
    " Adults require a minimum of 15 g of EAA or at least 30 g of total protein to fully stimulate skeletal muscle protein synthesis [21,25]. This response appears to be determined by the EAA leucine which serves as a critical signal for triggering initiation of muscle protein synthesis. Leucine has been well characterized as a unique regulator of the insulin-mTOR signal pathway controlling synthesis of muscle proteins "
    This was his hypothesis after looking at multiple data.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=4KlLmxPDTuQ
    The video is from 2013, after he was able to run both animal and human trials. HIS research, as you will observe in the video (yes, there is reading to do in the video) backs up the hypothesis he made in 2009. He was able to measure synthesis happening at various intake levels, establishing a curve of how much will occur after each meal, and how long between meals before the body returns to a catabolic state.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    edited August 2015
    Options

A beer and a cigar has no purpose toward physical health and overall wellness, but sometimes life is just to be lived.

Could you check out the calories and macro/micro breakdowns I gave for my "junk" fast food sandwich and tell me why it's "just unhealthy" "garbage?"
    No, if you're cool with it, so am I.
    Your health goals are your own, so eat and enjoy.
    It helps me to call the stuff junk, because it falls outside my definition of "clean eating" -->> lean meats, fish, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grained, home baked stuff, beans, raw, whole dairy and whole eggs.

That's the ideal I strive toward without turning that into a religion you must join.

Again, enjoy your sandwich, and if I am ever in your town, I'll put you to shame at Taco Bell!
    :D

• RockstarWilson
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree with this^^.

Again you not correctly respresenting the conclusions presented in the paper, which make me think you have never read it. He said that <30g was SUBOPTIMAL not that there was no synthesis at all. Where are you getting these satements? Certainly not in the primary sources or even Dr Layman's paper itself.

The indications from his research in laboratory trials are that, sure, some will occur, but not for very long before you return to a catabolic state (I.e. your body starts breaking down muscle again).

Watching the video expands on what Dr. Layman is saying, and explains the research he has been working on in regards to that hypothesis. It is new research, and he does say that it will most definitely be met with opposition (as all things related to change or that counter government claims).

I am possibly going to use this research to eat just below maintenance. I will be reading up on this, along with what foods promote the most protein synthesis as well as satiety. My goal is to basically transform my body without losing much weight by optimising protein synthesis, building lbm while shedding fat.

He says the problem with most high carbohydrate diets where the person is in a calorie deficit is that they mark down the protein proportionally (I.e. As a percentage of calories). That leads to both fat loss and LBM loss. By maximizing protein synthesis through personal experimentation guided by the research, one can actually lose weight without losing ANY lean tissue.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

It helps me to call the stuff junk, because it falls outside my definition of "clean eating" -->> lean meats, fish, fresh fruits and veggies, nuts, whole grained, home baked stuff, beans, raw, whole dairy and whole eggs.

That's the ideal I strive toward without turning that into a religion you must join.

Again, enjoy your sandwich, and if I am ever in your town, I'll put you to shame at Taco Bell!

If you can't explain why it is "junk" and "garbage," I am not sure why you would insist that we call it "junk" because that is what it really is.

Having your own personal definition that isn't supported by any facts is okay, I guess. But why must others join you? Why am I lying to myself if I disagree with your personal definition of "clean eating"?
  • Wheelhouse15
    edited August 2015
    Options

I agree with this^^.

The indications from his research in laboratory trials are that, sure, some will occur, but not for very long before you return to a catabolic state (I.e. your body starts breaking down muscle again).

I can't say it enough...watch the video.

Your above quote of the paper did not support any such statement that under 30g of protein at a single in take converts to carbs or fat. Not even close so you clearly do not understand that the paper does not even discuss deamniation or GNG which is the processes required to convert to carbs.

Also, it only speaks about repletion of leucine for muscle synthesis not overall protein utilization within the body, most of which have nothing to do with the topic presented. Do you realize part of the reason he makes this claim of 30g is due to the requirement to release insulin and IGF-1 to overcome the AMPK affect on downregulating mTORC-1? You can do this more effectively with carbs btw. Also, it helps with appitite control, which again has nothing to do with the idea that you are converting protein to carbs if you eat too little.

I will watch the video but you should really do some more research. I have no issue with the claim that 30g/meal is optimal, in fact I try for more than that each meal, but I take issue with extending that claim to something that is not shown by the data. Scientists are never allowed to push conclusions farther than warrented by the data and this is not supported by any of the current body of knowledge that I am aware of, which states that the amino acid pool must be overfilled before GNG will occur. It will take a large amount of evidence for that to be overturned because that's the way science works.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options

If you can't explain why it is "junk" and "garbage," I am not sure why you would insist that we call it "junk" because that is what it really is.

Having your own personal definition that isn't supported by any facts is okay, I guess. But why must others join you? Why am I lying to myself if I disagree with your personal definition of "clean eating"?
    Define it any way you like.
    At day's end we are the fruit of our own philosophy.
    :)

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

I can accept that. I think I'm doing ok by that yard stick.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options

Indeed you are!
    Great progress and inspiring results trump the best debate points.

• Wheelhouse15
    Options

Indeed you are!

Thanks, you seem to be doing well also. Keep up the good work.
  • Pinnacle_IAO
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

My take on it with this particular poster is as follows. He has stated a few times over that before he lost weight that he would eat a ridiculous diet and "cry himself to sleep" over his food choices. So it sounds like he has a really dysfunctional destructive relationship with food, so to make food bad or evil or junk is what he uses as a coping mechanism in order to not have him go back to those ways of eating. It doesn't make it true....but it seems to be what works for him.
    It all started when I was born in a wagon in this traveling show...
    28ovis5d5xe5.jpg

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

Indeed you are!

Thanks, you seem to be doing well also. Keep up the good work.

everything.gif
  • Wheelhouse15
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »

My take on it with this particular poster is as follows. He has stated a few times over that before he lost weight that he would eat a ridiculous diet and "cry himself to sleep" over his food choices. So it sounds like he has a really dysfunctional destructive relationship with food, so to make food bad or evil or junk is what he uses as a coping mechanism in order to not have him go back to those ways of eating. It doesn't make it true....but it seems to be what works for him.
    It all started when I was born in a wagon in this traveling show...
    28ovis5d5xe5.jpg

I'll never look at Cher the same way! :anguished:
  • Blueseraphchaos
    Blueseraphchaos Posts: 843 Member
    Options
    What a train wreck....