The low calorie liquid diet (LCLD) part 2

Options

Replies

• Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

Well I don't feel hungry, just crave food. The only miserable thing about it is not being able to have alcohol :smiley:
  • Versacam
    Versacam Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    Water weight is what is stored in your body, not what you actually consume.

Also, watch out for constipation... drink plenty of water and get some of those constipation things you pop up your bum.. sorry, but that's the reality after a few weeks... :/
  • shrinkingletters
    shrinkingletters Posts: 1,008 Member
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

Well I don't feel hungry, just crave food. The only miserable thing about it is not being able to have alcohol :smiley:

:#
  • kristen6350
    kristen6350 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would want to go on a liquid diet of 1100-1200 calories when you can EAT and have the same affect though? I'm pondering that while choppin' down on some Popcorn...nom nom nom.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    You won't be smiling if your hair falls out. :(

Why would her hair fall out?

Very low calorie diets done for long periods of time can cause hair thinning/loss.

My hair is thick and hasn't fell out as of yet. Please keep trying to think up more reasons to put me down it really is comical. You were on the first post being negative and after results and backed up research you're still trying.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options

Very low calorie diets done for long periods of time can cause hair thinning/loss.

My hair is thick and hasn't fell out as of yet. Please keep trying to think up more reasons to put me down it really is comical. You were on the first post being negative and after results and backed up research you're still trying.

Hair falling out can occur months after you started.
  • Versacam
    Options
    999tigger - I was part of a forum of people on liquid VLCD's and a lot of them had some hair loss, some people had permanent hair loss :/ bald patches, extreme thinning.

I have fine hair already so I wasn't willing to take the risk.

Also, the hair loss happens when you start eating again, not when you are actually doing the diet. Lots of places say it grows back, it's just delayed etc.. but I've read first hand how people are suffering long term with hair issues.

• shrinkingletters
    Options

It sounds more like she's concerned about you doing this ridiculous diet, she's not putting you down. Everyone's asking you completely valid questions like "why not just eat the same amount of calories and learn how to manage your diet/weight?" How about you think on that, instead.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »
    If I recall correctly, the number of calories in this diet are somewhere between 1100 and 1200 per day. If you had eaten real food in that calorie range for 8 days, you likely would have the same results. There is nothing special about your liquid diet other than the fact that it requires you to do absolutely nothing in the way of gaining long term weight control skills.

Jem OK so if there's nothing special about it then why is it replacing weightloss surgery? I consume less than that btw.

By nothing special, I meant that the liquid calories instead of solids are not what is causing the weight loss. You could be eating normal food and lose that weight.

I started cutting again last week too. I ate 1875 calories of real food and lost 4.4 pounds. You always have a big loss the first week or so. It's mostly water.
  • Versacam
    Options
    Also, some people have no hair loss, so you might be okay, who knows.
  • Coley88
    Coley88 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    How many calories will you be consuming with this diet?

I consume roughly 1000 calories a day which is 200 under what women should take if dieting but it will only be for the first 4 weeks. Once they are over I'll be consuming more

I don't get the point. Why not just eat 1200 calories? Wouldn't that be much more enjoyable?
  • strong_curves
    strong_curves Posts: 2,229 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

Theres no record ( no data) that it happens with this diet, so its a bit general, It doesnt happen to everyone. Thye have made a focus of the diet being nutrient rich.

In balance the diet does look like a possible alternative v bariatric surgery. Its medically supervised so it has some credibility. Still bemused why someone with only 9lb to lose would be put on it as the aeticle suggests its for obese and severely obese patients, where the benefits of losing weight are significant.

• Beezyweez
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

Feeling hungry and craving is two completely different things. I was full up but still fancied eating because I missed chewing
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

Feeling hungry and craving is two completely different things. I was full up but still fancied eating because I missed chewing

Then why not eat? I just don't get it at all.
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

lol so how are you going to go to social events like a birthday or idk.. family dinner, or something?

• shrinkingletters
    Options
    This seems so miserable.

So eat the 1000-1200 calories instead.
  • Beezyweez
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would want to go on a liquid diet of 1100-1200 calories when you can EAT and have the same affect though? I'm pondering that while choppin' down on some Popcorn...nom nom nom.

I've tried eating that many calories before an didn't lose anything :neutral: that's why I'm on this, it's drastic but I've tried so many other things. Geuss our bodies are all different. Also I have PCOS so it's harder for me to lose weight than anyone else
  • Versacam
    Options
    Coley88 wrote: »
    How many calories will you be consuming with this diet?

I consume roughly 1000 calories a day which is 200 under what women should take if dieting but it will only be for the first 4 weeks. Once they are over I'll be consuming more

I don't get the point. Why not just eat 1200 calories? Wouldn't that be much more enjoyable?

It's the ketosis effect of the VLCD that makes it easier for people, similar to low-carb. Once you are into it full swing you find that you aren't actually that hungry, just crave real food, but sometimes that is easier than trying to control normal food. Taking you away from normal food can be quite helpful in controlling the food issue.

I totally see why people do it, the losses are great, the ketosis feeling is quite nice too, but long term I do think they are very bad for you unfortunately.
  • rhyolite_
    rhyolite_ Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Versacam wrote: »
    999tigger - I was part of a forum of people on liquid VLCD's and a lot of them had some hair loss, some people had permanent hair loss :/ bald patches, extreme thinning.

I have fine hair already so I wasn't willing to take the risk.

Also, the hair loss happens when you start eating again, not when you are actually doing the diet. Lots of places say it grows back, it's just delayed etc.. but I've read first hand how people are suffering long term with hair issues.

Due to having an ED in the past, my hair thinned by about half. I was lucky that I had pretty thick hair, so if you didn't know me before you wouldn't know...but, man, I miss my hair.

OP, warning you about the dangers of a VLCD is not "putting you down". But since you only came here to tell all the successful MFP members how wrong they are, please, carry on. Those who have already attained the goals you're after aren't worth listening to, after all. No, better to continue believing that you're a victim and everyone is out to get you because of your success.

I have no forum patience today.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    OK versa, obviously you have the experience. Not all diets will be the same though and I wonder why it affects some people and not others. The issue the Drs in the article face seems to be that traditional methods of dieting have failed and they are looking at as an alternative to bariatric surgery or the health complications of morbid obesity. I am still bemused why the OP should be on such an extreme diet. She's only 24 so that would explain some of her answers.
This discussion has been closed.