Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    WBB55 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    I started so much fatter than you, and if a doctor told me to do this, then have surgery, I'd have slapped them. What a horrid thing to do to your body, especially when so young.

Yep. It makes me sad and makes me angry. The idea that a doctor prescribed something that is only drinking milk and is so deficient that if she works out she'll get dizzy and sick....let's me know that some doctors are more into their business model than making the correct medical decisions. IMO.

But not being able to work out is a bonus lmao.

Yet you're doing it anyway AMA (against medical advice). I thought the point of this was to prove you could follow doctor's instructions... which you're not doing.

I'm not here to bash you, I just have read your thread and hope that at some point in the next year you can start being more honest with yourself and more accountable for failures when you clearly don't follow instructions, even when they're given to you by a doctor. If you and only you know what's best for you, then great, have at it. But telling us "my doctor says it's fine to do this! :)" but then out the other side of your mouth imply "but they don't know me, so I'm gonna exercise anyways" sounds like you don't quite understand what the words "following directions" means.

I took a walk. Big deal. Not exactly excersize is it?

You're the one who said it, not me. I'm just pointing out you are not following directions.
    ... but I have been a bit naughty and gone on a couple of walks....

If it wasn't exercise, how exactly were you being "naughty"? If it wasn't exercise, why did it make you dizzy? Please follow ALL OF your doctor's advice if you're going to do a medically supervised VLC liquid diet.

I took a walk I didn't go to the gym and work out for an hour. The nurse said it was fine to take short walks but I had to get to my mums and wasn't sure if was walking more than I should. But I felt fine afterwards. I swear I feel like I'm sitting in a chair with a torch flashed in my face being interrogated. It's hilarious.

Agreed, this is hilarious.

OK you can leave now..

so can you...
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I started so much fatter than you, and if a doctor told me to do this, then have surgery, I'd have slapped them. What a horrid thing to do to your body, especially when so young.

Yep. It makes me sad and makes me angry. The idea that a doctor prescribed something that is only drinking milk and is so deficient that if she works out she'll get dizzy and sick....let's me know that some doctors are more into their business model than making the correct medical decisions. IMO.

Yet you're doing it anyway AMA (against medical advice). I thought the point of this was to prove you could follow doctor's instructions... which you're not doing.

I'm not here to bash you, I just have read your thread and hope that at some point in the next year you can start being more honest with yourself and more accountable for failures when you clearly don't follow instructions, even when they're given to you by a doctor. If you and only you know what's best for you, then great, have at it. But telling us "my doctor says it's fine to do this! :)" but then out the other side of your mouth imply "but they don't know me, so I'm gonna exercise anyways" sounds like you don't quite understand what the words "following directions" means.

You're the one who said it, not me. I'm just pointing out you are not following directions.

If it wasn't exercise, how exactly were you being "naughty"? If it wasn't exercise, why did it make you dizzy? Please follow ALL OF your doctor's advice if you're going to do a medically supervised VLC liquid diet.

I took a walk I didn't go to the gym and work out for an hour. The nurse said it was fine to take short walks but I had to get to my mums and wasn't sure if was walking more than I should. But I felt fine afterwards. I swear I feel like I'm sitting in a chair with a torch flashed in my face being interrogated. It's hilarious.

OK you can leave now..

so can you...

Wtf it's my post! That's like telling me to get out of my own house... Just take the hint love.
  • Hornsby
    Options

OK you can leave now..

so can you...

Wtf it's my post! That's like telling me to get out of my own house... Just take the hint love.

Awee, sweetie, that's not the way public forums work. So now you can add "public forums" to your list along with "health and nutrition" as things you don't understand. Sorry, "love".
  • Beezyweez
    Beezyweez Posts: 144 Member
    Options

OK you can leave now..

so can you...

Awee, sweetie, that's not the way public forums work. So now you can add "public forums" to your list along with "health and nutrition" as things you don't understand. Sorry, "love".

OK that's fair enough, stay or don't stay I couldn't give a rats *kitten*. This negativity just makes me want to succeed more to prove you wrong. So I'll let you know how I get on but for now I think it's clear this little back and forth crap with you is just turning bitter and clearly finished. Take care.
  • Hornsby
    Options

OK you can leave now..

so can you...

OK that's fair enough, stay or don't stay I couldn't give a rats *kitten*. This negativity just makes me want to succeed more to prove you wrong. So I'll let you know how I get on but for now I think it's clear this little back and forth crap with you is just turning bitter and clearly finished. Take care.

While I definitely hope you prove me wrong, I REALLY hope you prove yourself wrong and do this the right way by tracking your calories and learning to eat food in moderation and at a deficit. It's so much simpler than weight loss surgery. At 24 years old, there is no reason you shouldn't be able to do this all on your own without silly liquid diets and surgery.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options

OK you can leave now..

I thought you were complaining about people taking this too seriously.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    You have a lot of successful people on here who have lost weight over long periods of time and maintained it. Maintenance is the key here. If you want sustainable results, it doesn't start by eliminating all solids from your diet. Liquid calories and food calories ARE THE SAME. The deficit you are creating with liquids could just as easily be created with solids. Have they told you how difficult it will be to reintroduce solids? Have they helped you plan for that?
  • dahhhhhling
    dahhhhhling Posts: 66 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I, like many posters, have my own doubts about this diet. But since I don't know the first thing about the weight loss center you're going to, I'll just have to trust you when you say that it is being medically supervised by people who have a clue about what they're doing. If you haven't already, please thoroughly research this center you're going to and the staff you're seeing. Any consumer complaints, past lawsuits, etc. are a big red flag that they're going to hurt you in the long run. The fact that you're under 250 and they're considering you for weight loss surgery makes me suspicious, but then again you may be short and higher on the obesity scale than I think you are. And remember, it does not hurt to look for a second, or even a third, medical opinion.

Second, I also have PCOS. And I weigh the same (about 10 pounds less) than you do. If a doctor recommended me for weight loss surgery I would be looking for a new doctor. If you have not already, see an endocrinologist about your PCOS. I know a lot of women who use PCOS as an excuse, I used it for the longest time, as the main cause why they weren't losing weight. The simple fact is we don't have to do anything special (maybe lower carb, but a lot of people without PCOS do lower carb), it may come off slower, but it will come off. I'm eating between 1700 - 1800 calories a day and doing heavy lifting, and I've seen a big improvement and I've only been at it a little over two weeks.

Don't take this as me or anyone else being mean. I've read this entire thread and not one person has been mean in my opinion, we just don't want to see you hurt yourself.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options

Welcome to asking for advice on a public forum. I'm not interrogating you, I'm pointing out inconsistencies in your comments and places where what you say you're doing isn't matching what you're actually doing. You don't have to look in the mirror I'm holding up to you, but I think you'll have a happier life if you are honest with yourself.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Don't take it so seriously? You may be going for major surgery for heavens' sake!

FYI for the Americans, it's actually quite hard to get weight loss surgery on the NHS, which makes this sorry tale even more surprising to me.

So again, along with some others you've ignored that have said this, we started out about the same weight, are eating a lot more and are losing weight. Never even a whisper from any medical professional about surgery.

Just stop and take in where we're trying to guide you. To long term, non-surgical, non-extreme diet success. Just like we're doing. You may be 24 but you're behaving like an obtuse 4 year old.
  • 999tigger
    999tigger Posts: 5,235 Member
    Options
    If only doctor's knew the first thing about nutrition...

This thread completely saddens me. Probably one of the the biggest clusters in MFP history that hasn't been deleted.

So you know more than her Dr's?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    I have only read a few replies, so here goes:

Your ticker says you have 8 pounds to lose. Is that accurate? If not, how much are you trying to lose?

Why did your MD put you on a liquid diet?

You said you're smiling at 9 pounds lost, but.....you do realize that is water, and as soon as you start eating normally again some of that will come back....right? A small percentage might be fat, but that is mostly water.

I vehemently disagree with this statement:
    Also next time someone tries to talk about a diet that may sound ridiculous to you, please don't put them off. We all need to try these things and I'm so glad I did.

The next time someone tells me about a diet that sounds ridiculous, I'm going to say, "Hey, have you ever heard of simply eating less that you burn? It works wonders!"

If a diet sounds ridiculous, it most likely is. :)
  • Hornsby
    Options
    999tigger wrote: »
    If only doctor's knew the first thing about nutrition...

This thread completely saddens me. Probably one of the the biggest clusters in MFP history that hasn't been deleted.

So you know more than her Dr's?

It's a possibility.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    I'm not sure why you would want to go on a liquid diet of 1100-1200 calories when you can EAT and have the same affect though? I'm pondering that while choppin' down on some Popcorn...nom nom nom.

I've tried eating that many calories before an didn't lose anything :neutral: that's why I'm on this, it's drastic but I've tried so many other things. Geuss our bodies are all different. Also I have PCOS so it's harder for me to lose weight than anyone else

Then you were undoubtedly eating more than you realized.

If you are drinking 1000 calories and losing weight drastically, 200 more calories is not going to make you gain weight. In fact, the only way to gain weight is to eat over your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure), and I'd be surprised if any adult, even a shorter person, has a 1200 TDEE.

Since you're a bigger person, if you accurately counted your calories, you would be able to lose weight on more than 1200 calories.

Our bodies are not all that different, and science is science.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    Reading this thread is making want a Mars ice cream bar.
  • SLLRunner
    edited August 2015
    Options

Same here. It seems if a doctor prescribed a liquid diet they would include vitamins, minerals, something more than just....

Milk?

That's not good.

Also, @weezybeezy91, you said the doctor told you not to exercise, then you said you cheated by doing some walks, then you said that you can't exercise, so I'm confused.

Why would you eat like this when it makes you so dizzy that you can't even walk? That is downright dangerous.
  • SLLRunner
    Options
    psulemon wrote: »
    OP the dizziness is probably a strong sign that you are lacking in nutrients. Just more reason, why you shouldn't be doing a diet like this.

I had to do blood tests and various other tests for them to see if my body would be fit for it. It's not for everyone. This diet is medically supervised so there's nothing for me to worry about

Yeah there is something for you to worry about. You're getting so dizzy you can't walk.
This discussion has been closed.