HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,147 Member
    Options
    Haha. Cheers to heavy lifting!!

Wow! Heavy lifting rules!!! You look Great!
  • jessica22222
    jessica22222 Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    How often do you lift? Very inspiring!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    About a years difference here. Lifting heavy and IIFYM...minimal cardio cos urgh cardio!

qjta2pxwfpc7.jpg

What lifting program did you follow? That is an awesome result.
  • CarlydogsMom
    CarlydogsMom Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    @psych101 and @nataliewalter, that is the way to do it. Inspiring! I wish I had incorporated serious weight lifting when I was losing. I started when I had gotten down to my goal weight and wanted to get stronger (typical...).
  • psych101
    psych101 Posts: 1,842 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    About a years difference here. Lifting heavy and IIFYM...minimal cardio cos urgh cardio!

qjta2pxwfpc7.jpg

What lifting program did you follow? That is an awesome result.

Thanks!!

I've completed New Rules of Lifting and have been following Stronglifts for a year!
  • smaew
    smaew Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Ok so i have been using my fitness pal for over a month now. I started IIFYM about 3 weeks ago. There are days that i slightly go over my carb n fat intake and just about everyday im unable to reach my protein goal?...not sure im doing it correctly. Ive been on point a few times. I however lost 5 lbs so far. Any tips?
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,753 Member
    Options
    smaew wrote: »
    Ok so i have been using my fitness pal for over a month now. I started IIFYM about 3 weeks ago. There are days that i slightly go over my carb n fat intake and just about everyday im unable to reach my protein goal?...not sure im doing it correctly. Ive been on point a few times. I however lost 5 lbs so far. Any tips?

Since no one can view your diary, not sure we can give any meaningful feedback on your eating patterns.

Obvious answer is cut back on carbs/fat and up the protein. Take a look at what you ate on the on point day and do that again.
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Oh look, heavy lifting made me bulky, too!

No heavy lifting, after losing 23 lbs:
    S63oBzv.jpg

One month of heavy lifting, 5/3/1 program
    The weight difference from the first to second photo is one pound.

mkGUqeL.jpg

6hxI1X9.jpg

Daaammmnn if that's bulky sign me up. Abs for days! Great job
  • beastmode2718
    beastmode2718 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sarauk2sf wrote: »
    I don't have proper side by sides - but my progress was from a reasonable caloric deficit and lifting some weights.

14e23b06-7716-4547-9e59-c79386d793c0_zps33aefaae.jpg

c537f06a-1bce-4e0a-b654-47b018256549_zpscfe3cb45.jpg
    Wow your progress is so inspiring, you look amazing
  • That1Chick_Brit
    That1Chick_Brit Posts: 2,541 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all these results. I want to start lifting, but how do I do that at home? I dont have room for big machinery or big barbells. Can anyone recommend anything? I live in an area where the nearest gym is a half hour away, so any exercise I do, happens at home.
  • ar9179
    ar9179 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    I am so jealous of all these results. I want to start lifting, but how do I do that at home? I dont have room for big machinery or big barbells. Can anyone recommend anything? I live in an area where the nearest gym is a half hour away, so any exercise I do, happens at home.

Start with body weight exercises that progress in difficulty. Mark Lauren has a couple of books. "Body by You" is geared toward women and "You Are Your Own Gym" is adaptable. Check them out at your library. Also, look at nerdfitness.com
  • Noot30
    Noot30 Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    All you ladies are very inspiring...

How do you set your calorie limits to get enough protein etc. I am starting stronglifts after lots of cardio... I don't want to put fat back on, but want to eat enough to support the lifting.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    Noot30 wrote: »
    All you ladies are very inspiring...

How do you set your calorie limits to get enough protein etc. I am starting stronglifts after lots of cardio... I don't want to put fat back on, but want to eat enough to support the lifting.

In my first 1300 calories I can get at least 130 or more grams of protein, which isn't even necessary for me. Quest bars, greek yogurt, cottage cheese, frozen yogurt for dessert, lean protein: ground turkey, chicken breast, tuna, shrimp, etc.
  • MrsK20141004
    MrsK20141004 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I started with NROL4W but it was getting to the point where it was 2+ hours at the gym so I stopped and started SL 5x5 but now I'm totally bored with that... not sure where to go but back to the squat rack especially after seeing this thread again. I'm going to try and mix it up a bit more and lift the weights more regularly! Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!
  • efrensgirl2015
    efrensgirl2015 Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I love this thread. I started with NROL4W but it was getting to the point where it was 2+ hours at the gym so I stopped and started SL 5x5 but now I'm totally bored with that... not sure where to go but back to the squat rack especially after seeing this thread again. I'm going to try and mix it up a bit more and lift the weights more regularly! Thanks for the inspiration, everyone!

I just started NROL4W two weeks ago and the workouts haven't been longer than 40 minutes each time. I love it because it gets my heart rate up and i sweat more than i ever did with any cardio workout. Also i see strength gains in every workout. But why was each workout taking u more than 2 hours? Do the routines get longer the farther you progress in the program?
  • fanncy0626
    Options

I added sumo squats to my strong lifts 5x5 routine. I'm planning on adding chin ups, push-ups and bicep curls right now the amount of time I spend is an hour with the addition I'm going to make I think it's going to be 1 1/2 hours. But, it would still be only every other day!
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »

I added sumo squats to my strong lifts 5x5 routine. I'm planning on adding chin ups, push-ups and bicep curls right now the amount of time I spend is an hour with the addition I'm going to make I think it's going to be 1 1/2 hours. But, it would still be only every other day!

With the additions- you might as well do ICF 5x5 - really great program check it out I've been doing it for a month and feel super strong and weight is melting off https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout
  • fanncy0626
    Options
    mfm143 wrote: »

With the additions- you might as well do ICF 5x5 - really great program check it out I've been doing it for a month and feel super strong and weight is melting off https://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/jason-blaha-ice-cream-fitness-5x5-novice-workout

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into it and since I work from home there are 2 exercises I can't do but I can incorporate the rest.
  • mfm143
    mfm143 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    mfm143 wrote: »

Thanks for the suggestion. I checked into it and since I work from home there are 2 exercises I can't do but I can incorporate the rest.

I do this whole workout from home - you just need a barbell and some weights - other exercises can be substituted for cable crunches. Whatever equipment you don't have there is a substitution- google is your friend lol. Good luck !
  • leothecat1971
    leothecat1971 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I've been lifting for about a year and absolutely love it. I've not noticed any difference in my weight or my body shape but I know it's totally down to my diet......it's total rubbish. I over eat every day and what I do eat is crap. I have great intentions and do well all day and then evening comes and I pig out. I'm so sad when I look at all your fabulous pics cos that could be me. You are all so gorgeous. Hopefully this will be the inspiration I need to sort my diet out as my lifting routine is spot on!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!