for those of you who are scared to eat whatever you want...

Options

Replies

• WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I have high hopes for the entertainment value of this thread. It already includes some of my favorites:
    - processed foods are bad for you
    - lists of woo science from non-credible internet sources
    - judgement about what someone feeds their kids
    - your body processes sugary and fatty foods differently than more nutritious foods

Plus I heard there were chicken nuggets, Little Caesars, ice cream, and wine.

@WinoGelato just wait until someone posts that we should be eating Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream or Arctic Zero.

I have a whopping 12 abuse flags and I swear 8 of them came from that damn ice cream substitution thread a few months ago... Man I have never seen people get more defensive than when you try to tell them that mashed Frozen Bananas are not healthier than ice cream...
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    glitzy196 wrote: »
    The point is, i knew i had basically the definition of a 'crap' day. But i kept my crap to my allotted calories, and i lost. I lost a lot. I see so many posts about people saying i only eat healthy why of why can't i lose..

It is hopefully encouraging for other people to see that everything is ok. Even all at once if you follow the rules.

If i ate 3500 calories of chicken breast and broccoli i don't think i would have seen the same results.

Not to mention, my kid was pretty happy i was there. So..i win all the way around.

From the original post:

" Yesterday I ate chicken nugget school lunch with my 6 year old, little Caesars for dinner, snickers, chocolate chip muffins, and an ice cream cone. LOL it was pretty awful, but it fit in to my calorie goal. This morning i had lost 1.8 lbs from the day before."

You did not lose 1.8 lbs in one day due to eating those foods. Water weight fluctuations or whatever, it was not a sustainable weight loss due to that day's eating.

• frankiesgirlie
    frankiesgirlie Posts: 667 Member
    Options
    [/quote]
    Why is it weird to get fat overeating a lot of veggies? I got fat eating about 6-10 servings of veg and fruit a day. But I didn't eat just vegetables, and vegetables don't negate calories. Olive oil and wine have a lot of calories no matter how many vegetables I eat with them.[/quote]

:| Not to advocate unhealthy living,but trust me not every one who looks good and in shape or trim is living healthy.
    Many years ago I had a very glamorous job. It was a lot of fun and I made really good money. I got to travel,stay in the best hotels, comped rooms in Vegas. The whole shabang. I looked really good on the outside but here was my daily lifestyle:
    Up at 9:00 and a trainer 5 days a week for combo weight training,running drills,and pilates. No breakfast,no lunch.
    At the pool with my work friends,where I'd have a protein powder/fruit shake made by the bartender with one shot kaluha,one shot vodka.(I'm not kidding).
    Work started at 5:00 or 6:00 pm where the club chef would make me a big mixed green salad with grilled chicken or fish with a light vinegrette dressing. Then the bartender would put a bottle of pino grigio on ice, which I would polish off by myself through out the night. After work we'd hit the local clubs where many more cocktails and some other substances not healthy to ingest were the norm. Then home about 2 am where I'd eat some comfort food from the mini fridge like vineger potato chips,OREOS,etc. Then to bed and it would start all over the next day.
    I was 30 years old,trim with muscle tone,turned heads.....and always felt like COMPLETE CRAP.
    I just didn't know I did until the job ended 5 years later.
    If you look at what I was eating and drinking probably just the alcohol was like 1500 or so calories a day. My food intake wasn't too horrible,but certainly not ideal,but on the face of it I LOOKED great and when I look at photos I was slim,tan and smiling. But I'm convinced if I had continued to live that way I'd be dead now.
    My point is,not all slim/fit looking people are truly healthy and not all overweight people are truly unhealthy.
    We all have to make our own decisions on what we ingest and hopefully find a balance of some nutritious stuff and some not so healthy but delicious stuff> I'm on MFP to try to do just that.

• aDivingBelle
    aDivingBelle Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Wait til you get closer to your goal or have recomposition or fitness in mind. What you eat will matter more.

Probably..but ..still i never said this was the way to go. But being 130lbs is not going to magically make me like stuff. I will probably have to get creative..i don't find vegetables to be filling. At all actually. I have never understood the whole idea of eating some huge salad before a meal. I don't wanta salad, i want my food. I do the same crap with my six year old, he has to eat x before he can have y. Well he would eat chips all day long, so i know i have to stuff nutrition in their somewhere..i know i don't only eat chips, do im not concerned about my exact nutrition. Oh the horror! Honestly, i can't imagine ever being like..oh i need more calcium or protein today..it is do not on my radar.

When i put green beans on my plate, i do it because i 'should'. Not because i get any joy out of it. Honestly id rather just not eat them. Im happy as crap when my 3 year old snatches them off my plate.

I thought you had a visceral gagging reaction to all vegetables? Is this person a troll or something. I seriously smell a troll.

BTW- I eat pizza. And some other not so healthy foods. I try to only make it 10-15% of my intake. That's called being a responsible person. Losing weight or not, I know I will feel like crude if I eat like crude.
    And whether my son likes it or not, he has to eat some forms of fruit or vegetables throughout the day. It is not negotiable. He can choose which type, but he doesn't fight it because he's had them since he was a baby. It's called being a responsible parent.

• tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    I do like some vegetables.
    Potatoes. Canned : green beans, corn, and peas.
    Freaking love home grown tomatoes. Won't touch one that has the slightest bit of green/white still in the center.
    Cartots cooked.d in a croc pot with potatoes and some sort of beef (chicken wont work) and yes.it is that specific, and they have to be mush..basically the same consistency of the potato.

I will eat way over cooked broccoli..but just the very tippy top. No stalk at all, and it would have to be in or on something.

I ate a black olive on a piece of pizza once 20 years ago, and yes i still remember how excited i was i didn't die.

I will eat most fruit. But it HAS to be perfectly ripe. Probably closer to over ripe.

And i can't stress enough..to leave pucky people alone..for me..i would rather eat a spider, abs i amm terrified of them than eat most foods on my 'no' list. It is a true phobia, that nobody understands, probably because they think said revolting (to me) food is yum.

I don't like a lot of stuff, but i like corn..my brother who will eat anything hates corn, so i get the "just eat it" sentiment. But its not that easy. Some people (my husband) appear to be sble to eat anything, he might not like it..but he has no problem putting it on a fork, chewing it and so on. I couldn't physically make myself put an onion in my mouth unless it was to save my children's life or something else ridiculously improbable.

Ive tried them i hate them. Bo matter how many times. I promise.

I do eat dark soft green lettuce, no stalk or crunchy part. I have probably eaten up to 1 cup at times. That was a big deal.

I will not eat them in a box, with a fox...

Green beans, corn, peas, tomatoes (btw I am with you on tomatoes, 100%) all have high carbs as far as vegetables go (i'm counting tomatoes as a vegetable bc practically speaking that's how we treat them) - and extremely/over ripe fruits have more sugar than fruits at what most people would say was optimal ripeness.

Other than the fact that you seem to like sugary things, I have no idea how that might play into your tastes/aversions (do you like sweets a lot?), but I think it's worth noting.

(Really my thought is: you're cleared re diabetes, right? Just asking bc I know a couple of people who were really into starches and sugary stuff, turned out they were diabetic.)
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Wait til you get closer to your goal or have recomposition or fitness in mind. What you eat will matter more.

Probably..but ..still i never said this was the way to go. But being 130lbs is not going to magically make me like stuff. I will probably have to get creative..i don't find vegetables to be filling. At all actually. I have never understood the whole idea of eating some huge salad before a meal. I don't wanta salad, i want my food. I do the same crap with my six year old, he has to eat x before he can have y. Well he would eat chips all day long, so i know i have to stuff nutrition in their somewhere..i know i don't only eat chips, do im not concerned about my exact nutrition. Oh the horror! Honestly, i can't imagine ever being like..oh i need more calcium or protein today..it is do not on my radar.

When i put green beans on my plate, i do it because i 'should'. Not because i get any joy out of it. Honestly id rather just not eat them. Im happy as crap when my 3 year old snatches them off my plate.

I thought you had a visceral gagging reaction to all vegetables? Is this person a troll or something. I seriously smell a troll.

Not to all vegetables. But several of them, i made a nice list. Troll? You can't be serious.

BTW- I eat pizza. And some other not so healthy foods. I try to only make it 10-15% of my intake. That's called being a responsible person. Losing weight or not, I know I will feel like crude if I eat like crude.
    And whether my son likes it or not, he has to eat some forms of fruit or vegetables throughout the day. It is not negotiable. He can choose which type, but he doesn't fight it because he's had them since he was a baby. It's called being a responsible parent.
    That whole paragraph made me irrationally angry (or rationally, due to the insane condescending attitude of it)

Pretty sure i said he had to eat before he got his beloved chips. Because ya know responsible parent an all.

As far as me being diabetic, i have had to choldren in the last year, with full blood work ups..passed my glucose tests with flying colors..i have almost too low blood pressure, my cholesterol levels on perfect. I have been told more than once i am *slightly* low on vitamin B.

My sweet tooth..honestly i could probably take it or leave it. If i had to survive for yhe rest of my life on say a handful of things sweets wouldn't make the cut. Fatty foofs probably would! Like i loooovee beef and cheese. But sincr im counting calories and can't slways fit a cheese burger in, i might pick ice cream or something. I coild eat tacos every. Single. Day. And coffee. Because i am picky i don't have a lot of variety ( and don't care to).

And it was not because of those foods, but the deficit created by them, and lol that i lost water weight..because it was junk. If i had posted a pristine lettuce, chicken and turnip day everyone would say "see you lost weight because you ate such good food" that's a terrible double standard.

I never suggested anyone try it. But turns out eating s snickers, or 2 is not the end of the world.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options

Not to all vegetables. But several of them, i made a nice list. Troll? You can't be serious.

As far as me being diabetic, i have had to choldren in the last year, with full blood work ups..passed my glucose tests with flying colors..i have almost too low blood pressure, my cholesterol levels on perfect. I have been told more than once i am *slightly* low on vitamin B.

My sweet tooth..honestly i could probably take it or leave it. If i had to survive for yhe rest of my life on say a handful of things sweets wouldn't make the cut. Fatty foofs probably would! Like i loooovee beef and cheese. But sincr im counting calories and can't slways fit a cheese burger in, i might pick ice cream or something. I coild eat tacos every. Single. Day. And coffee. Because i am picky i don't have a lot of variety ( and don't care to).

And it was not because of those foods, but the deficit created by them, and lol that i lost water weight..because it was junk. If i had posted a pristine lettuce, chicken and turnip day everyone would say "see you lost weight because you ate such good food" that's a terrible double standard.

I never suggested anyone try it. But turns out eating s snickers, or 2 is not the end of the world.

Glad to hear you're in good shape :) I'm a fan of burgers and tacos (and coffee) too.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Just my observation... But I think some people arc up about these kind of posts/threads because it may come across as bragging?

"Hey look at how much junk food I can stuff in and still lose weight"

It's the exact opposite of the clean eaters who say

"Look at how much veggies and lean meats etc I can have and still stay below my calorie goal.

Same, same but different. Some people may say, equally as annoying...
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    The point is, i knew i had basically the definition of a 'crap' day. But i kept my crap to my allotted calories, and i lost. I lost a lot. I see so many posts about people saying i only eat healthy why of why can't i lose..

It is hopefully encouraging for other people to see that everything is ok. Even all at once if you follow the rules.

If i ate 3500 calories of chicken breast and broccoli i don't think i would have seen the same results.

Not to mention, my kid was pretty happy i was there. So..i win all the way around.

You probably were dehydrated after eating so much sugar in one hit. That would explain the 1.8 pounds weight loss.
  • Sued0nim
    Sued0nim Posts: 17,456 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options
    Ty_Floyd wrote: »

You probably were dehydrated after eating so much sugar in one hit. That would explain the 1.8 pounds weight loss.

I have now heard everything

Sugar is famous for dehydrating a body in non-diabetics? (ETA...please read in sarcastic tone of voice)

Also dehydration causes water weight gain, not loss

Not really sure what point you are making here
  • Orphia
    Orphia Posts: 7,097 Member
    Options

Tennantwhut.gif
  • Ty_Floyd
    Ty_Floyd Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Sugar is famous for dehydrating a body in non-diabetics? (ETA...please read in sarcastic tone of voice)

Google "osmotic diuresis". Perhaps I have misunderstood it, but I had this explained to me by a nurse.

But in any case surely some kind of water loss is the only logical explanation for the weight loss that was described in the original post... unless you are supporting the idea of 1.8 lbs of fat loss in one day?
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

you don't like vegetables because you're too used to processed, crappy food. It's important to get a real amount of protein and more importantly to have your kids eat nutritionally. feeding your kids ice cream, chicken nuggets and other garbage isn't doing them any good.

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that.

That might be one of the most ridiculous assertions I've ever seen on here.

Your whole post is ignoring context and is really just a soapbox for your bro-speak. This thread aint' 'bout you.

@brdnw has a good point. If you eat hyper-palatable junk foods all the time then natural, plain, healthful foods simply don't taste good. Your tastebuds get overwhelmed. Get really hungry, even fast for a couple of days if that's what it takes, and then you'll discover how good a fresh carrot or a grapefruit tastes. Or even... horrors... some plain green vegetables!

No, he just plain didn't read the thread and projected his biases around like a sledgehammer.

And now here you are doing the same thing.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    I do like some vegetables.
    Potatoes. Canned : green beans, corn, and peas.
    Freaking love home grown tomatoes. Won't touch one that has the slightest bit of green/white still in the center.
    Cartots cooked.d in a croc pot with potatoes and some sort of beef (chicken wont work) and yes.it is that specific, and they have to be mush..basically the same consistency of the potato.

I will eat way over cooked broccoli..but just the very tippy top. No stalk at all, and it would have to be in or on something.

I ate a black olive on a piece of pizza once 20 years ago, and yes i still remember how excited i was i didn't die.

I will eat most fruit. But it HAS to be perfectly ripe. Probably closer to over ripe.

And i can't stress enough..to leave pucky people alone..for me..i would rather eat a spider, abs i amm terrified of them than eat most foods on my 'no' list. It is a true phobia, that nobody understands, probably because they think said revolting (to me) food is yum.

I don't like a lot of stuff, but i like corn..my brother who will eat anything hates corn, so i get the "just eat it" sentiment. But its not that easy. Some people (my husband) appear to be sble to eat anything, he might not like it..but he has no problem putting it on a fork, chewing it and so on. I couldn't physically make myself put an onion in my mouth unless it was to save my children's life or something else ridiculously improbable.

Ive tried them i hate them. Bo matter how many times. I promise.

I do eat dark soft green lettuce, no stalk or crunchy part. I have probably eaten up to 1 cup at times. That was a big deal.

I will not eat them in a box, with a fox...

Eating fruit is good for the vitamins and minerals. So that's cool. You're doing better than my daughter with the sensory issues so that's good!

• PeachyCarol
    Options

What the what now?

That's not how this works. That's not how any of this works.

• PeachyCarol
    Options
    rabbitjb wrote: »

Google "osmotic diuresis". Perhaps I have misunderstood it, but I had this explained to me by a nurse.

But in any case surely some kind of water loss is the only logical explanation for the weight loss that was described in the original post... unless you are supporting the idea of 1.8 lbs of fat loss in one day?

No, you're misunderstanding 1.8 pounds of loss and the OP. She's saying a day of indulgent foods didn't hinder a pattern of loss.

• _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,302 Member
    edited August 2015
    Options

picgifs-wut-confused-06121.gif
  • kellyjellybellyjelly
    kellyjellybellyjelly Posts: 9,480 Member
    Options
    brdnw wrote: »

you don't like vegetables because you're too used to processed, crappy food. It's important to get a real amount of protein and more importantly to have your kids eat nutritionally. feeding your kids ice cream, chicken nuggets and other garbage isn't doing them any good.

I'd rather get nutrition out of my food and eat junk food more seldom, acting like you can eat garbage just because it is X calories isn't a good argument, i'd like to see the "1500 calories of just oreos diet" and see how someone's body responds to that over an elongated period of time.

and for me personally, eating food like that doesn't get me what i need so i'm really against it. I need lots of protein and eating food that you discussed doesn't remotely come close to that.

That might be one of the most ridiculous assertions I've ever seen on here.

Your whole post is ignoring context and is really just a soapbox for your bro-speak. This thread aint' 'bout you.

@brdnw has a good point. If you eat hyper-palatable junk foods all the time then natural, plain, healthful foods simply don't taste good. Your tastebuds get overwhelmed. Get really hungry, even fast for a couple of days if that's what it takes, and then you'll discover how good a fresh carrot or a grapefruit tastes. Or even... horrors... some plain green vegetables!

No, he just plain didn't read the thread and projected his biases around like a sledgehammer.

And now here you are doing the same thing.

I don't care how hungry I am a grapefruit or kale will never taste good to me.
  • kk_inprogress
    kk_inprogress Posts: 3,077 Member
    Options
    I have high hopes for the entertainment value of this thread. It already includes some of my favorites:
    - processed foods are bad for you
    - lists of woo science from non-credible internet sources
    - judgement about what someone feeds their kids
    - your body processes sugary and fatty foods differently than more nutritious foods

Plus I heard there were chicken nuggets, Little Caesars, ice cream, and wine.

@WinoGelato just wait until someone posts that we should be eating Peanut Butter Banana Ice Cream or Arctic Zero.

I have a whopping 12 abuse flags and I swear 8 of them came from that damn ice cream substitution thread a few months ago... Man I have never seen people get more defensive than when you try to tell them that mashed Frozen Bananas are not healthier than ice cream...

This. This why we are friends.