How to quit dessert.

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    I wouldn't quit dessert, but I only eat it after smallish dinners - like soup. Today was tomato and paprika soup, and then tapioca pudding with brown sugar, butter and maple syrup. I include fruit in all the other meals through the day.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    dmt4641 wrote: »
    Half chocolate fudge pop tart a la mode for me:

cz1lvxp2d6q5.jpg

95556598.png

Ice cream over pop tart! Mind blown. Must try this.

I like the Special K pastry crisps better, personally, and they are less calories so it's easier to fit them in (you end up with 30g of ice cream between two, typically, which is 50-80 calories or something). Or I guess you can break a pop tart in 2 to save calories as well (or that's a 500-600 calorie treat right there, lol).

Anyway, yeah, I have dessert most days too, I just stick to flavored yogurt on days when I'm hungrier and can't really spend calories on things that won't fill me up.
  • ashliedelgado
    ashliedelgado Posts: 814 Member
    Halo Top ice cream is 240 calories for the ENTIRE PINT
  • shadowfax_c11
    shadowfax_c11 Posts: 1,942 Member
    edited August 2015
    I try to keep a variety of desert options around the house that can come in under 200 and 100 calories. I have something sweet with lunch most days as well as dessert in the evening.

Knowing I can have some every day keeps me from eating the whole bag of chocolates, carton of ice cream or box of cookies. Being limited to a smaller portion actually slows me down and I enjoy my snacks much more than I used to when I could eat as much as I wanted.

I a pinch a few semi sweet chocolate chips (10 grams is about 50 calories.) with some fresh fruit can be very satisfying.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    Of course you can still eat dessert and lose weight. And it can be whatever dessert you like. Most evenings I have a glass or two of wine and a couple of pieces of dark chocolate, but often I have cookies, gelato, etc.

Lost 30 lbs and am currently maintaining and never gave up any of the things I enjoy.

That's so awesome. It gives me hope I can too.
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Everyone's been so calm, I feel better enough to say, yes, please still have dessert. What's life without dessert? I'm reducing calories again but I'm still going to fit in my treats. Because yum.

Lol! Right??!! YUMM! I never thought of just logging it in the morning so it has a spot "reserved" in my day
  • ttfnweight
    jgnatca wrote: »
    @suziecue20 , cocoa has most of the fat removed. I'm still rooting for you to find a cholesterol friendly chocolate.

Chocolate torte. Use another oil other than coconut oil.

http://my.clevelandclinic.org/services/heart/prevention/nutrition/food-choices/benefits-of-chocolate

Why use another oil other than coconut?? I thought it was a super food kind of oil?
  • ttfnweight
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There are some super good non-dairy versions too - Coconut Bliss makes some very decadent flavors like Chocolate Peanut Butter, Dark Chocolate, Amaretto Fudge, Vanilla Bean..... A single serving of one of them is very fulfulling as a dessert and fits right into the calorie goal.

They sound incredible right now. I've just finished dinner and my tummy is patiently waiting for a sweet treat!
  • ttfnweight
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to eat chocolate, ice cream, pastry, cakes, biscuits because of high cholesterol....I can live without pastry, cakes, biscuits and even ice cream but CHOCOLATE and chocolate desserts....its just too cruel!

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    @ttfnweight even though coconut oil is super popular right now, it is the definition of SATURATED.
  • marsinah1
    marsinah1 Posts: 106 Member
    Giving up dessert would mean giving up the longest lasting relationship I've ever had. Like the others, it's still in my life, just maybe not in the same quantities as it use to be.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

WOW!! You must be very disciplined during the day.
    I'm allowed 2400 calories a day for maintenance WITHOUT exercise. And I exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,488 Member
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    I'm not allowed to eat chocolate, ice cream, pastry, cakes, biscuits because of high cholesterol....I can live without pastry, cakes, biscuits and even ice cream but CHOCOLATE and chocolate desserts....its just too cruel!
    Cholesterol in food doesn't really raise blood cholesterol though if that's your concern.

http://www.cholesterol-and-health.com/Cholesterol-Rich-Foods-Raise-Blood-Cholesterol.html

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,811 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm allowed 2400 calories a day for maintenance WITHOUT exercise. And I exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For those of us who aren't on maintenance ...

It can be more of a challenge to fit the little treats in.

Thank goodness for low-cal options, and I wish there were more low-cal options here in Australia. I'm sure I've seen low-cal cake and muffin mixes in Canada, but I cannot find them here (maybe I just imagined them in Canada). Nevertheless, I have found a couple low-cal yogurts I like, and today I picked up some low-cal jello which I'm looking forward to. A couple weeks ago, I also noticed that a certain brand of sorbet wasn't bad for calories. And of course, there's fruit.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got all the low-cal ice cream brands people keep mentioning.

Meanwhile tonight, I'm planning to slice up a banana and fresh pineapple, and top it with vanilla yogurt and whipped cream. :)

• bioklutz
    bioklutz Posts: 1,365 Member
    Sea Salt Caramel, I can't quit you! I may not be able to eat it everyday. When I do have it, I make sure there is room for a proper severing:

60948468.jpg
  • Timelordlady85
    Timelordlady85 Posts: 797 Member
    I pre-log all my meals for the day so I know how many calories I need to burn to have my dessert each night/
  • Alyssa_Is_LosingIt
    Alyssa_Is_LosingIt Posts: 4,696 Member
    I didn't even realize that the words "quit" and "dessert" could physically go together in the same sentence unless they are bonded with other words first (e.g., "I can't quit eating this delicious dessert!").

I eat dessert and lose weight. I drink wine and lose weight. I just make room for them!
  • karyabc
    karyabc Posts: 830 Member
    Yesterday I had breyers vanilla ice cream 1/2 cup( it's only 80 cals) and then I added lots of strawberry slices and it is soooo good! Do you know how easy is to fit that in my calories daily? Easy peasy B)
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For those of us who aren't on maintenance ...

It can be more of a challenge to fit the little treats in.

Thank goodness for low-cal options, and I wish there were more low-cal options here in Australia. I'm sure I've seen low-cal cake and muffin mixes in Canada, but I cannot find them here (maybe I just imagined them in Canada). Nevertheless, I have found a couple low-cal yogurts I like, and today I picked up some low-cal jello which I'm looking forward to. A couple weeks ago, I also noticed that a certain brand of sorbet wasn't bad for calories. And of course, there's fruit.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got all the low-cal ice cream brands people keep mentioning.

Meanwhile tonight, I'm planning to slice up a banana and fresh pineapple, and top it with vanilla yogurt and whipped cream. :)

@Machka9 I'm Also in Aus. have you tried making your own yoghurt from scratch. Either Easiyo or Hansells brands often on special with the whole kit and kaboodle starter package for around $20 at either Coles/Woolies etc, then yo u can make your own after that from the sachets proved in the supermarkets.

The lower fat ones are great for the calories....full fat better protein and lower sugar ratios so go with which ever suits you the best ie Hansells full-fat greek yoghurt I had last night was 68 cals for 87 grams. You can flavour them up with whatever takes your fancy, either sweet of savoury in place of dressing, spreading on wraps, dips etc.

Hope this gives you a hand.
  • HippySkoppy
    HippySkoppy Posts: 725 Member
    Another dessert that we have just gotten into...probably way behind the eight-ball is to mix a tin of light coconut milk together with 1 Tbls of chia seeds, mix well cover and leave in fridge overnight.....give it a stir now and again....it ends up looking like tapioca pudding but with a lovely coconut flavour....pretty awesome over any kind of fruit, cereal, pop tarts anything you like. You could combine it with a low fat ice cream of choice for a bit of a change in flavour and texture.

YMMV but in a 400ml tin, 100 ml of the coconut milk I have is 255 kj and the chia seeds are 291 per Tbl....we get about 4-6 decent sized dollops.....

I <3 desserts.....I couldn't imagine me succeeding with the loss and maintenance sides of life if I had to ditch dessert....Props to those that can and do. Sympathy to those here that can't through health reasons....I do hope you find something that here in this thread that may make desserts possible for you again.

Actually @suziecue20 chia seeds would be worth you investigating as a dessert option, you could use any milk or fluid you wish to make a pudding, flavour it with essences, booze etc .....prob. worth a Google.