How to quit dessert.

Replies

• Kymmu
    Kymmu Posts: 1,650 Member
    I bought myself an adult colouring in book. I was too busy completing a picture to snack after dinner!
  • suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    edited August 2015
    @HippySkoppy - I will have a look at the chia seeds, thanks :) Coconut milk and flesh is a definite no no for me but funnily enough the worst thing I could eat is grapefruit because it causes a chemical reaction with the statins meds I am on to lower my cholesterol and badly affects the liver.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,805 Member
    Machka9 wrote: »
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    ttfnweight wrote: »
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

WOW!! You must be very disciplined during the day.
    I'm allowed 2400 calories a day for maintenance WITHOUT exercise. And I exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

For those of us who aren't on maintenance ...

It can be more of a challenge to fit the little treats in.

Thank goodness for low-cal options, and I wish there were more low-cal options here in Australia. I'm sure I've seen low-cal cake and muffin mixes in Canada, but I cannot find them here (maybe I just imagined them in Canada). Nevertheless, I have found a couple low-cal yogurts I like, and today I picked up some low-cal jello which I'm looking forward to. A couple weeks ago, I also noticed that a certain brand of sorbet wasn't bad for calories. And of course, there's fruit.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got all the low-cal ice cream brands people keep mentioning.

Meanwhile tonight, I'm planning to slice up a banana and fresh pineapple, and top it with vanilla yogurt and whipped cream. :)

@Machka9 I'm Also in Aus. have you tried making your own yoghurt from scratch. Either Easiyo or Hansells brands often on special with the whole kit and kaboodle starter package for around $20 at either Coles/Woolies etc, then yo u can make your own after that from the sachets proved in the supermarkets.

The lower fat ones are great for the calories....full fat better protein and lower sugar ratios so go with which ever suits you the best ie Hansells full-fat greek yoghurt I had last night was 68 cals for 87 grams. You can flavour them up with whatever takes your fancy, either sweet of savoury in place of dressing, spreading on wraps, dips etc.

Hope this gives you a hand.

I've seen them, but have never tried them.

My husband has made his own yoghurt from scratch, but I didn't like it ... too sour for me. But those might be better.

• ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member
    The thing I don't like about "low cal" options is by and large the u
    No need to ditch it if you have room. I eat ice cream practically every night. And not that diet ice cream stuff. I'm talking Ben and Jerry's Chunky Monkey, Cherry Garcia, or Hazed and Confused.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

I'm allowed 2400 calories a day for maintenance WITHOUT exercise. And I exercise.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

Thank goodness for low-cal options, and I wish there were more low-cal options here in Australia. I'm sure I've seen low-cal cake and muffin mixes in Canada, but I cannot find them here (maybe I just imagined them in Canada). Nevertheless, I have found a couple low-cal yogurts I like, and today I picked up some low-cal jello which I'm looking forward to. A couple weeks ago, I also noticed that a certain brand of sorbet wasn't bad for calories. And of course, there's fruit.

Unfortunately I don't think we've got all the low-cal ice cream brands people keep mentioning.

Meanwhile tonight, I'm planning to slice up a banana and fresh pineapple, and top it with vanilla yogurt and whipped cream. :)

@Machka9 I'm Also in Aus. have you tried making your own yoghurt from scratch. Either Easiyo or Hansells brands often on special with the whole kit and kaboodle starter package for around $20 at either Coles/Woolies etc, then yo u can make your own after that from the sachets proved in the supermarkets.

The lower fat ones are great for the calories....full fat better protein and lower sugar ratios so go with which ever suits you the best ie Hansells full-fat greek yoghurt I had last night was 68 cals for 87 grams. You can flavour them up with whatever takes your fancy, either sweet of savoury in place of dressing, spreading on wraps, dips etc.

My hubby and I made our own yogurt in a crockpot then into the oven at 150 for 12 hours. It came out absolutely delicious. Creamy just like custard not too tart or sour which I love because I'm not a big fan of sour yogurts( YUCK!) but I also heard dairy isn't good for your system so I cut back. Dairy it said create an acidic state in your body that your body fights to return to homeostasis by drawing calcium from your bones to neutralize the acidity. So I cut back on eating our delicious yogurt.
  • ttfnweight
    ttfnweight Posts: 202 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

What my post should have said but for whatever reason did not was that by an large low cal options usually have artificial sweeteners in them and I am absolutely against them as they are carcinogenic. Aspartame is deadly. But it's in a great deal of drinks low cal goodies and almost every gum or mint, also breakfast bars or any low cal option in America. Anyway don't get me started. I just do my best to stay away from lovely delicious things that are artificial.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

It was easier for me to fit little treats in while I was losing actually. I've been hungrier since I started to maintain and now 2 times out of 3, if I spend more than 150 calories on a treat, I'll go to bed hungry.
  • Kexessa
    Kexessa Posts: 346 Member
    I shave off calories where I can throughout the day and make sure I have enough for frozen yogurt or ice cream every night. Yes to dessert!
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    The thing I don't like about "low cal" options is by and large the u

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

My hubby and I made our own yogurt in a crockpot then into the oven at 150 for 12 hours. It came out absolutely delicious. Creamy just like custard not too tart or sour which I love because I'm not a big fan of sour yogurts( YUCK!) but I also heard dairy isn't good for your system so I cut back. Dairy it said create an acidic state in your body that your body fights to return to homeostasis by drawing calcium from your bones to neutralize the acidity. So I cut back on eating our delicious yogurt.

This is absolutely not true.
  • snowdancer03
    snowdancer03 Posts: 227 Member
    My solution to desert is Outshine fruit bars. They are only about 35 calories and completely satisfy whatever my body is searching for after dinner.
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member

(sig line trimmed)

I suspect he is, but there are other factors which may be in play. High activity level and significant muscle density/low body fat percentage seriously "up the ante" when it comes to available calories.

Plus, how much ice cream? I just checked a handful of Ben & Jerry's flavors; average it out to 300 calories/ half cup. Sure, 300 calories is a quarter of my recommended allowance, but Ninerbuff probably has a wider margin. :)

And if I get in a decent amount of steps and make conscientious choices during the day, I can leave room for a 300 calorie dessert. I happen to like the individual cakes at Nothing Bundt Cakes; 1/2 of a "bundtlet" is on the order of 225 calories; that with a cup of coffee (with half and half) is <300 calories. Or I could have a half cup of Ben & Jerry's and be pretty happy about it.

You learn to "Make it work".

Ben & Jerry's is the most calorie dense ice cream out there. Check out other brands. Hood, Edy's, Friendly's, Breyers are mostly 160-180 calories for a half a cup. That's a big difference from 300 calories.

Or try B&J's froyo instead. I had a serving of Ben & Jerry's half baked froyo for 180 calories last night.
  • megaiken92
    megaiken92 Posts: 42 Member
    I eat dessert basically every day; it's just a matter of making sure you account for it in your diary. If I know I ~really~ want a treat in the evening I log it in the morning and work around it.

Also, I'm lactose intolerant and have recently found coconut milk ice cream. I can't remember what the nutrition is exactly but I know it's not very much, especially when paired with some fruit. Yum yum yum~
  • melimomTARDIS
    melimomTARDIS Posts: 1,941 Member
    Just sharing- an oreo has 45 calories, and a normal ice cream sandwich (like kemps or blue bunny) is around 160 calories. Easy to fit in.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    I had a brownie with vanilla ice cream and dark chocolate sea salt caramel sauce last night. 350 cals and I was still under for the day. So I had wine too. :)
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    megaiken92 wrote: »
    I eat dessert basically every day; it's just a matter of making sure you account for it in your diary. If I know I ~really~ want a treat in the evening I log it in the morning and work around it.

Also, I'm lactose intolerant and have recently found coconut milk ice cream. I can't remember what the nutrition is exactly but I know it's not very much, especially when paired with some fruit. Yum yum yum~

It's about the same as regular ice cream I believe
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    The ones I've seen are a bit lower in calories, not a lot -- like 140-180 for a half cup.
  • megaiken92
    arditarose wrote: »

I guess you're right, I just looked and it's 120 for .5 cup. Not bad though!
  • arditarose

Oh actually that is a little less than I thought. Do you use that cocobliss brand or whatever?
  • megaiken92

Oh actually that is a little less than I thought. Do you use that cocobliss brand or whatever?

The one I've got is So Delicious brand and it's the vanilla bean flavour. I also bought an almond milk ice cream but haven't tried that yet; I think it was 130 calories for .5 cup.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    suziecue20 wrote: »
    ... funnily enough the worst thing I could eat is grapefruit because it causes a chemical reaction with the statins meds I am on to lower my cholesterol and badly affects the liver.

Yes, people don't often realize that the unique enzymes in grapefruit can amplify some medications. Grapefruit was on my danger list when I was on blood pressure meds.
  • arditarose

The one I've got is So Delicious brand and it's the vanilla bean flavour. I also bought an almond milk ice cream but haven't tried that yet; I think it was 130 calories for .5 cup.

Ah okay. I've been thinking about trying it. I have tried the almond milk ice cream. It's fine though not creamy. I ended up preferring my 100 calorie frozen yogurt.