September 2015 Bike Bicycle Cycling Challenge

Options

Replies

• john_not_typical
    john_not_typical Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Generally, I get to ride outside twice a week and spend the rest of the days on a stationary bike. I'm going to aim for a total of 250 miles and see what happens.

So far for September:
    Sept. 1: 9 miles (inside)
    Sept. 2: 9.6 miles (inside)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    czymom123 wrote: »
    What does everyone do when it gets too dark to ride? I know I will have weekends to ride, but that's just 2 days out of 7.

I had not yet even thought about this. boo. I'm going to focus instead on how perfect the weather is going to be for weekend rides in October and November
  • HopHead28
    HopHead28 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Awesome to see all the goals that popped on in the past day and quite a few new people as well.
    So excited about my September goal! I am starting to get nervous about the time change. What does everyone do when it gets too dark to ride? I know I will have weekends to ride, but that's just 2 days out of 7. I will not be riding when it's dark getting off work (I teach, but you know how early it gets dark in winter). Is anyone else freaking out yet, or just me?
    I do have a gym membership that includes spin classes, but I like to be outside on my bike for real.

I use a 300 lumen head light and a really bright tail light (both by Cygolite) that is quite bright if I'm riding when its dark.

In the winter I use an indoor trainer and put a trainer tire on my current bike (one that can withstand the heat generated from the trainer since there is no wind). Trainers are nice in the winter because you can still ride with resistance. I place mine in front of my TV and like to watch TV shows or biking videos -- makes the rides really enjoyable.

This year I bought a fat bike for single track and winter riding and look forward to doing some riding in the snow.
  • saphin
    saphin Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    So excited about my September goal! I am starting to get nervous about the time change. What does everyone do when it gets too dark to ride? I know I will have weekends to ride, but that's just 2 days out of 7. I will not be riding when it's dark getting off work (I teach, but you know how early it gets dark in winter). Is anyone else freaking out yet, or just me?
    I do have a gym membership that includes spin classes, but I like to be outside on my bike for real.

I mostly ride in the dark here (I live near the equator so no significant seasonal day/night variations plus I would get badly sunburned if I rode too much during the day). I have the best lights on the bike that I can find here / afford, fluorescent strips on my shoes, light coloured cycling shirts plus my little white legs and arms help people to see me and my next bike will be white. The main safety comes in HOW you cycle. I use the same techniques on the bicycle as when riding my motorcycle - use your road position within the lane to control people overtaking when it's dangerous, move towards the middle of the road near junctions to help drivers see you, make sure you get eye contact with drivers, take evasionary precautions (or stop) if you can't make eye contact and plan well ahead for cross traffic turns. It gets a bit interesting sometimes but you do get used to it.
  • chanceA
    chanceA Posts: 14 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I started cycling because running hurt my feet. I love cycling! This weekend I did 14 miles on the Silver Comet Trail in Atlanta. I try to ride at least 3 times a week, usually 7 or 8 miles at a time. I would love to know techniques to get more out of my ride and my bike, a schwinn hybrid. I bought it because it was pretty. I didn't know then how much I would love cycling or how the bike affects how you ride. I would love to hear tips about how to choose my next bike, too. Thanks bunches!
  • allaboutthecake
    allaboutthecake Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options

I ride in the early a.m. and its dark. I wear high viz tops & bottoms & a high viz helmet. Also have reflective bike wrappers. Get a good set of daylight-bright lights (or two). I recommend DiNotte. I'm a big fan of them. Run them on high flasher. You'll be seen. You can add in miles by commuting. If that's too daunting, then pick a couple days during the week and plan accordingly. Its amazing how the stress of teaching just melts when you leave work to bike home. :)

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,861 Member
    Options
    So excited about my September goal! I am starting to get nervous about the time change. What does everyone do when it gets too dark to ride?

Get lights and reflective gear.

• SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Was a little short last month but had 2 weeks of crazy business hope to not have here. Goal 300

9/2 - 20.01 miles, road bike, Riding with the Wed. night group 15.43 ave.
  • SteveCro
    SteveCro Posts: 788 Member
    Options
    Welcome to all the new riders. That's awesome to see so many new faces. Cricketkate good to see you back! Sorry to hear still dealing with issues. Don't give up on the bike, start slow and build!!

Agree with all about post. Here dark = cold.. Go to a bike shop for a good light, the cheap box store lights will get you hurt. Are not bright enough to see all small pot holes and obstackles.

I also put my bike on a trainer in the house. Not able to see TV so I built a stand that's a little taller than my handlebars. The legs straddle the front tire and I use my laptop to watch videos and hulu or rock to Pandora.
  • robertw486
    robertw486 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options

This impacts me as well. Rather than let my miles slip too much, I'm going to finally buy some decent lights and keep riding. It will impact my pace some, but it also gives me more chances of spotting some deer and other wildlife.

My goal for the month is 200 miles, probably done mostly on the weekends.

• PlunderingSteelGorilla
    Options
    A flat tire cut my ride VERY short last night. Fixed and ready to ride tonight.
  • kjac1992
    kjac1992 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm brand new to riding (literally started yesterday) but I'm riding to the bus station for work a few days a week. To challenge myself to more than the minimum but still not overwork myself, I want to do at least 50 miles this month!

Yesterday's 4 mile ride
    and today's 4 mile ride
    puts me at 8 total so far! going to be more careful about logging them on my apps!
  • tcaley4
    tcaley4 Posts: 416 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    I hit 300 miles last month. Put me down for 300 again this month.

9/1 10.75
    9/2 10.09

March 70.3 miles 6.0 hr
    April 192.5 miles 14.9 hr
    May 144.8 miles 10.9 hr
    June 388 miles 28.7 hr
    July 293 miles 22.1 hr
    August 304 miles 24.0 hr
  • chanceA
    chanceA Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    7.09 Miles Tuesday
    8.32 Miles today.
    Planning on at least 14 on Saturday on the SCT-ATL.
    I feel like a goal of 100 miles is doable!

You all are so inspiring!!!

Anne
  • hotnumber
    hotnumber Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    I love this challenge! I think my goal will simply be to get on my bike and ride 2-3 times per week.
  • czymom123
    czymom123 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I hear a lot about using lights and that's a great idea, however, I won't be able to do that. First, I am new enough that I have a healthy fear of dying, and it's just recently that I've begun to be comfy sharing the road with crazy car drivers during the day.
    Second, my husband is a little protective and would worry too much if I were riding at night. Maybe as time goes by, he and I will both be more comfortable with the idea, but not at the moment. Maybe next winter. I don't want to sound like a mousy wife that is run by her husband, that's not it. :p

Anyway, I will definitely be riding every weekend and then probably spinning classes during the week. I am too pudgy to stop just because it's dark.
  • Ohhim
    Ohhim Posts: 1,142 Member
    Options
    Two good rides in so far. Neighbor I'm riding with is starting to get up to speed. I do lots of commuting post-sunset, and have picked up the refun cree T6 LED 1200 lumen light w. 8800mah of power for two bikes (seems to get me about 3 hours on high between charges) and puts me on par with most car headlights when riding in the dark.

9/1 - 20 miles
    9/2 - 44 miles

Total: 64 miles
    Goal: 500 miles
    Remaining: 436 miles
  • panchango
    panchango Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    A nice but hot ride this morning with a couple large hills thrown in just for fun.

9/1 - 9.3 miles
    9/3 - 16.3 miles

Total 25.6
    Goal 400
    Remaining 374.4
  • m1xm0d3
    m1xm0d3 Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    9/01 - 09.01 @ 17.5 mph (AM Commute)
    9/01 - 13.12 @ 18.0 mph (PM Commute)
    9/01 - 28.72 @ 19.6 mph
    9/02 - 09.13 @ 17.9 mph (AM Commute)