DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    JayRuby84 wrote: »
    I might be going to hell for not hating this lady.

Same here.

The [] family story wasn't hilarious? Hell. Burning Hot hell

Is the 2014 pic supposed to be that of a fat chick?
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    Options
    Yeah, and the fact that she states no "fat" person is doing "anything about it," yet, how do you know? How is anyone going to know that the 250lb fat person on the plane used to weigh 400lbs not too long ago, or the one that needs to lose 50lbs still, just lost 100!
  • bethn24
    bethn24 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Question: If you saw this vid back when you were fat faaat, would you feel the same way as today? For some, they see it as a wake up call from the harsh reality. Tbh, if I saw this back when I was 63lbs more, I'd feel 'she's kinda right but she could have said it in a humane way'. But still it's rude.

Currently still fat, still think she's dumb. The problem isn't that she is trying to encourage people to lose weight, which is awesome, it's that she's being a slag about it.

I agree with you, obesity is a problem and Im all for encouraging a healthy lifestyle but dont need to be an A**hole about it
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    Options
    I don't know why she's worried about it anyway, fat people who don't want to lose weight are a self-solving problem.
  • allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well I happen to like Nicole Arbour, I find her very funny and I don't take offence to anything she says and I have watched a lot of her videos. I didn't take anything she was saying as her being mean.
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Well I happen to like Nicole Arbour, I find her very funny and I don't take offence to anything she says and I have watched a lot of her videos. I didn't take anything she was saying as her being mean.

Wow really
  • rosnigetsfit
    rosnigetsfit Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Question: If you saw this vid back when you were fat faaat, would you feel the same way as today? For some, they see it as a wake up call from the harsh reality. Tbh, if I saw this back when I was 63lbs more, I'd feel 'she's kinda right but she could have said it in a humane way'. But still it's rude.

IMO it's too bad that you would have thought she was right if you say it when you weighed 63 pounds more. It's not just rude, it's wrong and it's hateful.

However I am out of this thread....since giving this horrible suck of a woman any attention or any of my valuable time is just what she wants. She's worthless.

That's just me, my opinion.

• atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    One of the things she said was that she was out there sweating like pigs. Pigs don't sweat. Other than that, I could hardly understand much of what she said, but the tone was clearly derogatory.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    One of the things she said was that she was out there sweating like pigs. Pigs don't do sweat( a bit). Other than that, I could hardly understand much of what she said, but the tone was clearly derogatory.

well like i said she doesn't know such things....stupid

Further..offence nope..i couldn't care less about people with no respect for others.

One thing is accomplished by posting this here...i would never watch anything of her again.

So i think a thanks is on its place here.
    Now i have to move on, dont like to waste my time at useless subjects.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Concern troll is still just a nasty old troll shouting loudly from under her bridge.

ka94ih8powcy.jpg
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    One of the things she said was that she was out there sweating like pigs. Pigs don't sweat. Other than that, I could hardly understand much of what she said, but the tone was clearly derogatory.
    Pigs have some sweat glands, so they do sweat. The phrase actually comes from pig iron, which when cooling enough to handle "sweats".
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Oh look, another YouTube person trying to draw attention!
  • hamptontom
    hamptontom Posts: 536 Member
    Options
    man...i saw the thread title - "Dear Fat People" - and thought I was supposed to read it.

but I ended up basically scrolling through three pages of it without really reading much of it.

can somebody nutshell it for me? What did Ann Coulter say THIS time?
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    hamptontom wrote: »
    man...i saw the thread title - "Dear Fat People" - and thought I was supposed to read it.

but I ended up basically scrolling through three pages of it without really reading much of it.

Fat people are all disgusting. We inconvenience everyone and most especially her. The very sight of us in public, even fat KIDS, is an unpardonable sin against God and Humanity. But she only says these things because she cares so much... :|
  • Protranser
    Protranser Posts: 517 Member
    Options

she's just reminding her audience that she's superior and others are inferior. No need to click the video to generate revenue for her, unless you want to.
  • egorre
    egorre Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    i see her point but the way she delivered her message was horrible and offensive
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    Options
    Dear Random YouTube Narcissist #1,656,656,767 (and people on this forum who are wrong but will never get it because they enjoy a false moral high ground from this issue) -

I am one of the group whom you so broadly addressed in your video. If you don't like the term fat-shaming, that's fine. Let's just call it people moralizing adipose tissue and feeling superior due to having less of it. Off the top of my head, I can think of three different employers who made my weight an issue. I'll just mention two.

One told me that they liked to promote an image of health and asked me if I was planning on losing weight. I was 20 pounds overweight at the time. The job was retail. Yes, I could fit into the clothes they were selling. No, it wasn't Abercrombie. I decided not to take it.

The other, a pharmacy, refused to even take my application. I kept being told they had no opening despite a sign looking for people. I went in to check on the position for weeks. I had to go to another manager to submit my app and be interviewed. He hired me the same day on the spot because they were in dire need of help right then and there. He was so pleased that someone decent (in his words) had actually come in wanting the job. The other manager didn't like that, and he made my time there a living hell. He left the help wanted sign up, eventually hired another person, and then told me I was lazy and fired me. I contacted the district manager, but there was never a resolution. To this day, I will not shop there.

Let's talk about a date night incident. Imagine you're out at the movies with your boyfriend or husband. You're wearing your favorite outfit and feeling sexy and flirty. As you walk up the theater steps to take your seat, a group of rowdy teens start throwing popcorn and mooing at you. Or you're having a girl's day with your mom and sisters. Some guys in a truck single you out as the only fat girl in the group and start shouting all sorts of random things at you in front of your family.

Imagine you're a teenage girl and your car gets stuck in mud out on a strange country road. A good friend calls someone he knows in the area to come help you. They pull up, see that you are a fat girl and not a "hot chick", and leave you stranded, stating that they would never have come if they had known.

Hilarious, right? That's not shaming at all. It's totally deserved. It's totally motivating. Surely, that made me want to lose weight. Oh, right. No, it didn't. You can say, "But wait, these people were *kitten*." Well, sure. But they specifically were *kitten* to me for one reason - I'm a fat person.

How about taking your elderly, disabled and normal weight father grocery shopping? Imagine he must have a motorized cart. You leave him on a bench to search for one. You find an employee, ask for a cart, get looked up and down, and are told curtly, "There are none right now." You're older and wiser and no longer give a *kitten*, so you tell them your father is old and ailing and has been waiting long enough as it is, and they immediately change their tune, and lo and behold, a motorized cart (now that it is known it is not for your fat *kitten*!) appears 30 seconds later - literally driven to your dad by the clerk. Let's assume for a second that it was for your fat *kitten*. Let's assume that your fat *kitten* has a legitimate disability. You would have been denied that cart.

There are fat models out there. They model clothes that other fat women buy. Makes sense to me. That is the point of a model, yes? One of them was recently singled out. The comments were that she was a bad example to other women. She should not be in print. She should not be wearing sexy lingerie or beautiful clothes. She was normalizing fat. Basically, she should lose her career and income because she is fat; she should not be seen because she is fat, and she should not wear nice things because she is fat. Somehow, the people making these comments don't understand that is the essence of their words.

When a doctor withholds treatment or makes the wrong diagnosis because all they see is an obese patient who needs to lose weight, is that okay? When a doctor doesn't listen to a patient's symptoms or treats them as subhuman, is that all right? My current doctor is all about fitness and is thrilled with my current weight loss. She still listens and treats me like a person, and she actually runs tests and checks my health out. I could have seen my old doctor for strep throat, and he would have prescribed weight loss instead of antibiotics and never taken so much as a throat swab.

There have been studies done on external motivation and shame. It simply doesn't work that way. Sorry. There have been surveys of medical professionals. They actually admit to treatment bias in fat people. You mention loving your body in your video by treating it well. Does it not occur to you that by being ashamed of your body and disliking yourself or your body, you are less likely to treat it well? Isn't that only logical?

By the way, fitness is not a moral imperative. Health is not a moral imperative. In fact, while there are definitely things we can do to hurt or improve our health or quality of life, there's never a guarantee. No one gets out alive. Health is a condition and a state of being. Fat is a substance. It's not good or bad. Do you believe adults have the right to make their own healthcare choices? Do you believe that you, as an adult, have the right to bodily autonomy - i.e. choosing who touches you, who has sex with you, contraception, DNR/living wills? If so, then you certainly must believe you get to choose what and how much you eat or don't eat, and here's a key concept - your body (like my body) is not other people's business.

You know what got me motivated to tackle my weight again this time around? I finally reached the age where I stopped worrying as much about what the world thought. I'm happy and well-adjusted and have plenty of people who actually matter in my life. I realized that being fat is actually okay. I accepted myself. Yup, I said it. Deal with it. What was not okay was the way I felt physically because of the amount of extra weight and lack of regular exercise. I don't care about reaching a normal BMI. I just want to be at a weight that feels physically comfortable for me, and I'm not there yet. I never did it strictly for myself before, and I think there's a chance that's why I never maintained for long.

Human beings should be treated with dignity and respect, period. The golden rule, right? Unless you're a pedophile. Otherwise, yes. All human beings - fat or thin. It doesn't matter if "it's their own fault for being so fat." I'm not pulling out a fat card. I'm not saying that I want some sort of fat affirmative action akin to race. If anything, I want less government intrusion all the way around. I'm just saying that fat people, especially women and especially kids and teenage girls, have to put up with a lot of *kitten*. The fact is that it is absolutely a socially acceptable prejudice. If only I could go back in time and give my younger self some love and confidence, I would have dealt with some of it a lot differently.

And for those that often berate fat people for lacking self-control and willpower, I offer up this tongue-in-cheek thought to you, though not originally my own - consider that they haven't killed you yet. Ok, maybe the Frankenstein running bit was kinda funny, but over a short distance, we could potentially be very dangerous.

With-love-and-cupcakes-and-a-*kitten*-you-very-much-with-fries,

afatpersonwholikesfood

P.S. The fat guy on the plane probably didn't like being squished any more than you did. Most with the funds would happily buy two seats like the airlines require to avoid that situation. I feel it is also important to point out that airline seats have actually decreased in size since the 1960's - more profit for them. Airlines are not entirely innocent in this.