DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• DiabolicalColossus
    Options
    NFG.

I get more play while being fat than she ever will while worrying about getting fat.

::shrug::

She'll die alone and I'll laugh.

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    Here's some brain floss to purge that all out.

http://youtu.be/c3e2hoLV-j8
  • myheartsabattleground
    Options
  • myfelinepal
    myfelinepal Posts: 13,000 Member
    Options
    I found her video mildly amusing. And no less or more intelligent than any other youtuber's videos. Loud and obnoxious, but isn't that the point of youtubers?

I'm obese and nothing she said offended me. If I were part of that family I would have been ashamed to have forced my way to the front of the line and then ride the cart to the plane and steal someone's seat for my 'disability.' That all has one name and it's called enablement.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Wow.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I found her video mildly amusing. And no less or more intelligent than any other youtuber's videos. Loud and obnoxious, but isn't that the point of youtubers?

I'm obese and nothing she said offended me. If I were part of that family I would have been ashamed to have forced my way to the front of the line and then ride the cart to the plane and steal someone's seat for my 'disability.' That all has one name and it's called enablement.

You are very special.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

Not normal sweat glands. They don't have sufficient sweat glands to cool themselves, nor to draw colloquialism like "sweat like a pig". Sweat like a pig is still a sensible colloquialism because a pig of iron and the way it drips water.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

If I was obese and wasn't doing anything about it, or wasn't doing enough, I'd watch it several times until it sunk in. The reality is that nobody wants to offend a fat person, even if they're a close family member, by telling them they're fat and ruining their lives and need to change their habits. So the fat stay fat or get fatter, when what they need is truth tellers who will tell it like it is.
  • senecarr
    Options

Except neither you nor she know that obesity was the person's actual disability that allowed the on the plane early. Perhaps the person actually has another disability like chronic fatigue that is actually part of how the person became obese. So yeah, you're both excessively judgmental.
  • atypicalsmith
    atypicalsmith Posts: 2,742 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

If I was obese and wasn't doing anything about it, or wasn't doing enough, I'd watch it several times until it sunk in. The reality is that nobody wants to offend a fat person, even if they're a close family member, by telling them they're fat and ruining their lives and need to change their habits. So the fat stay fat or get fatter, when what they need is truth tellers who will tell it like it is.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I have a niece who has been obese all her life (she dipped her French fries in mayonnaise among other atrocities). I smoked at the time and told her if she lost 30 pounds, which was one-half of what she needed to lose, that I would quit smoking. Of course she didn't do it, and I didn't quit smoking until years later. She went on a starvation diet which had nothing to do with our bet 15 years earlier, and was down to about 140 pounds. Now she's back to nearly 400. So sad, too bad.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    Options

Do you honestly believe that fat people are somehow not aware that they're fat? :|
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options

Do you honestly believe that fat people are somehow not aware that they're fat? :|

If they were truly aware (or cared), would they be stuffing garbage into their bodies? No.
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    Question: If you saw this vid back when you were fat faaat, would you feel the same way as today? For some, they see it as a wake up call from the harsh reality. Tbh, if I saw this back when I was 63lbs more, I'd feel 'she's kinda right but she could have said it in a humane way'. But still it's rude.

IMO it's too bad that you would have thought she was right if you say it when you weighed 63 pounds more. It's not just rude, it's wrong and it's hateful.

However I am out of this thread....since giving this horrible suck of a woman any attention or any of my valuable time is just what she wants. She's worthless.

That's just me, my opinion.

And your opinion is wrong.

Fat shaming has been shown to be ineffective and counterproductive. Body shame can lead to weight gain, not loss. No, that may not make logical sense, but humans are messy and often don't make sense.

http://www.nature.com/ijo/journal/v37/n6/abs/ijo2012156a.html

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fat-shaming-actually-increases-risk-becoming-or-staying-obese-new-8C10751491

Here are just a couple of links I grabbed, there were a lot of others.

Yes, there will be anecdotal cases of shame working, but overall, all that bish is doing is making fat people feel bad about themselves. Which isn't helpful.
  • Calliope610
    Calliope610 Posts: 3,771 Member
    Options
    The opening frame and caption are all I needed to see in order to know this would be a colossal waste of time and brain energy.
  • myfelinepal
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »

Except neither you nor she know that obesity was the person's actual disability that allowed the on the plane early. Perhaps the person actually has another disability like chronic fatigue that is actually part of how the person became obese. So yeah, you're both excessively judgmental.

I mean...life is about making judgments. You're making a judgment that they might have chronic fatigue and she's made a judgment that they are obese. Just because your judgment gives you a sense of moral superiority doesn't really make you better than anyone else.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    She is absolutely right. Butthurt people are butthurt
  • myfelinepal
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »
    Question: If you saw this vid back when you were fat faaat, would you feel the same way as today? For some, they see it as a wake up call from the harsh reality. Tbh, if I saw this back when I was 63lbs more, I'd feel 'she's kinda right but she could have said it in a humane way'. But still it's rude.

IMO it's too bad that you would have thought she was right if you say it when you weighed 63 pounds more. It's not just rude, it's wrong and it's hateful.

However I am out of this thread....since giving this horrible suck of a woman any attention or any of my valuable time is just what she wants. She's worthless.

Fat shaming has been shown to be ineffective and counterproductive. Body shame can lead to weight gain, not loss. No, that may not make logical sense, but humans are messy and often don't make sense.

http://www.nbcnews.com/health/fat-shaming-actually-increases-risk-becoming-or-staying-obese-new-8C10751491

Yes, there will be anecdotal cases of shame working, but overall, all that bish is doing is making fat people feel bad about themselves. Which isn't helpful.

You're not wrong.

But, do you think enabling bad habits by giving special treatment and terming obesity as a disease is the answer?
  • senecarr
    Options

I mean...life is about making judgments. You're making a judgment that they might have chronic fatigue and she's made a judgment that they are obese. Just because your judgment gives you a sense of moral superiority doesn't really make you better than anyone else.
    My comment has no assumptions. You and she are assuming you know why someone was qualified as disabled to go ahead in line. Trying to cover it up and justify it as "life is about making judgements" is about as weak an argument as it gets. Life is in no way about a judging people, and you know that is what is meant by judgements here. There was no need to judge or assume why this person needed to go in the early boarding on the plane. And honestly, you're now calling my calling you out on it a sense of moral superiority? How hypocritical. You started by feeling superior to the other obese person because you'd be obese the right way and not take up the disabled line. You're not saying this because you think I'm being morally superior, you are because you've realized you might not be.
  • myfelinepal
    Options

My comment has no assumptions. You and she are assuming you know why someone was qualified as disabled to go ahead in line. Trying to cover it up and justify it as "life is about making judgements" is about as weak an argument as it gets. Life is in no way about a judging people, and you know that is what is meant by judgements here. There was no need to judge or assume why this person needed to go in the early boarding on the plane. And honestly, you're now calling my calling you out on it a sense of moral superiority? How hypocritical. You started by feeling superior to the other obese person because you'd be obese the right way and not take up the disabled line. You're not saying this because you think I'm being morally superior, you are because you've realized you might not be.

Oh I know I'm a judgmental a-hole and make no bones about it. It just makes me lol that you think you're not a player in the game. If you had no judgments/assumptions why comment at all?
  • Otterluv
    Otterluv Posts: 9,083 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Otterluv wrote: »

You're not wrong.

But, do you think enabling bad habits by giving special treatment and terming obesity as a disease is the answer?

I think it's all terribly complicated, and that I am not an obesity researcher or expert. But, I do believe that there isn't any one cause for obesity. It's not simple. For one person it could be untreated hypothyroidism (mememememe!) and all of the hormonal/emotional chaos it causes, for another it's the result of childhood sexual abuse.

The thing about diseases is that they can be treated, without stigma or hate or blame. In the end, those 3 things don't help and tend to make situations worse, so why do people keep holding onto them as a method?

As for special treatment, I don't know. That's a tough one.

Somewhat related, recently, my father got a silly little golf cart. He's obese and sedentary. When that happened, my initial reaction was probably pretty normal "dammit, now he's never going to get into better shape! He'll be able to get around without walking". But, the truth is, he had already given up doing things that he enjoyed like going down to the river, etc. Now he can. Maybe he's not getting there in an Angie approved way, but at least he's doing it now. Would I rather he walk there? Sure, but that wasn't going to happen.

What made me change was finally getting treatment, not having so many barriers to success, and having the love and support of my family. There was no shaming involved. Just compassion. And I had goals that were broken down into smaller goals, most not having to do with weightloss at all. I wanted to be able to hike, backpack, etc. So, that's what I worked towards. The weightloss was a lovely bonus. All shaming would have done was make me not want to leave the house or exercise in front of anyone. It was tough enough to pull myself out of that pit without those things compounded on top. I wonder if I'd have been able to do it if I had had that kind of "help"?