DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    As an obese person, I feel qualified to speak for all obese people (totes sarcasm). I found her rant spot on from a comedic standpoint. Her timing, content, and energy was all frigging hilarious to me, and I'll be sharing the video to all the comedy lovers I know.
    Her paper thin reasoning of "tough love" is total bull tho, and if it is true, she's sadly mistaken, because all the studies (and my own experiences) show that fat shaming has a counter productive effect on weight loss.

TLDR: I wish people would guard their sensitivity to such an obvious comedy set, and I wish she would label it as such.
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    I'm fat and I thought she was funny. :/
  • cndkendrick
    cndkendrick Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    Not haha funny.... but "ohhhhhhhh good one" funny.
  • MollyJE19
    MollyJE19 Posts: 67 Member
    Options
    I lasted 20 seconds. She's mentally ill.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    Concern trolls bug the everliving crap out of me.
  • bkerr30
    bkerr30 Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I'm petitioning PM Stephen Harper to add her to the Big List of People Canada Needs to Apologise For Allowing Out of the County.
    5ac075f0-c76c-0132-4598-0ebc4eccb42f.gif?

Ughhh, she's Canadian??? I'm sorry for even being remotely linked to her... As someone already said, overweight people can lose the weight, her train wreck of a personality is harder to change.
  • Mezzie1024
    Mezzie1024 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I didn't watch the video because I can't use sound at the moment, but based on the replies, I'll say this:

"Tough love" through shaming is never* appropriate or effective with large groups of strangers. It doesn't actually come from a place of love. Ever.

Tough love through shaming might be appropriate in situations where the two people are close, such as a parent pointing out to a child that s/he should be ashamed of stealing bubblegum from the nearby convenience store and then devising an appropriate consequence. That would come from a place of love and a desire to guide the child's moral development.

I can't imagine that "tough love" through mockery is ever effective or that it has anything to do with love at all.

*I dislike absolutes, but I honestly can't think of an exception.
  • AspenDan
    AspenDan Posts: 703 Member
    Options

^^
    In comedy, if anything is off limits, everything is..and that's unfortunate.
  • ejb060793
    ejb060793 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I am obese. That is my only medical problem, aside from erythema nodosum (which is completely not weight related) and bruising tendency (which was caused by LOSING weight). The fact that people believe that all obese people must have adverse medical problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, and coronary artery disease, is concerning. Yes, obesity is a risk factor for many medical conditions, but just because someone is obese does not necessarily mean that they have medical issues.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options

^^

I get her sense of comedic timing and how she has one, but her whole.... I just CARE about you schtick is horsehockey.

There's a point to what she says, and point every fat person gets to where the last thing they're clinging to before the actually make they move to change their lives is simply their love of food, but she does not understand that for most of us, it's a LOT more complicated than that. She has no idea what she's talking about.

• suziecue20
    suziecue20 Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    ejb060793 wrote: »
    I am obese. That is my only medical problem, aside from erythema nodosum (which is completely not weight related) and bruising tendency (which was caused by LOSING weight). The fact that people believe that all obese people must have adverse medical problems, such as diabetes, hypertension, and coronary artery disease, is concerning. Yes, obesity is a risk factor for many medical conditions, but just because someone is obese does not necessarily mean that they have medical issues.

No but sure as eggs are eggs they will have medical problems in the future if they don't do something about their obesity.

• senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options

^^

False dichotomy is false.
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

Except she's not. She's physically disgusted by fat (she makes that very clear in the way she talks about overweight individuals), but couches it in the lie that she cares about health. All she has is anger and judgement, because as a "fat person" I "needed to hear the hard truth" . What hard truth? That my weight put me at risk for heart disease? No. That as a "fat person" to her, and by extension, to society, I was worthless.

Maybe she's disgusted by fat because, let's face it, IT IS disgusting.

There is NOTHING pleasant about hanging bellies and round bodies. I don't know why people want others to lie about it and pretend it looks ok. It doesn't.
  • ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I just take the video for what it is, an attempt to draw a laugh, just like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nLRQvK2-iqQ

• cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Huh.... she's no looker herself.
    People like her need to leave this planet.

I bet she has never worked hard for anything in her life.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

and for me..meh..she is just another dumbo

And i get real pleasure out of the fact that fat people can at least lose their fat and solved...she however can never lose the fact she is really stupid...that is forever.
    Nothing can cure that.
    Give this person a round of applause!!!!

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    She's like 12. Her opinion is irrelevant, who cares!
  • MarziPanda95
    MarziPanda95 Posts: 1,326 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

Except she's not. She's physically disgusted by fat (she makes that very clear in the way she talks about overweight individuals), but couches it in the lie that she cares about health. All she has is anger and judgement, because as a "fat person" I "needed to hear the hard truth" . What hard truth? That my weight put me at risk for heart disease? No. That as a "fat person" to her, and by extension, to society, I was worthless.

Maybe she's disgusted by fat because, let's face it, IT IS disgusting.

There is NOTHING pleasant about hanging bellies and round bodies. I don't know why people want others to lie about it and pretend it looks ok. It doesn't.

Some people are attracted to that. Full stop. Who are you to say that every single person in the world finds the same things attractive? There are even whole COUNTRIES (western Africa) where being overweight as a woman is desirable to the point that they force feed their daughters so they will become overweight or obese.
  • Yoshirio
    Yoshirio Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I actually looked up her age to see if she was just real young and stupid. Sad to say she is 30 and should know better by now.

• Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »

I actually looked up her age to see if she was just real young and stupid. Sad to say she is 30 and should know better by now.

Snort! I didn't care enough, because she's still an idiot.