DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• allaboutthefood
    allaboutthefood Posts: 781 Member
    Options
    Well I happen to like Nicole Arbour, I find her very funny and I don't take offence to anything she says and I have watched a lot of her videos. I didn't take anything she was saying as her being mean.

Wow really

Yep really, she pokes fun at everyone and everything. I do find her to be funny, but again I have no problem laughing at myself, so I am not a uptight person.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    the comments tell me everything i need to know about the video.....

Me too. Don't care to even peek now. :)
  • Ashtoretet
    Ashtoretet Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    Question: If you saw this vid back when you were fat faaat, would you feel the same way as today? For some, they see it as a wake up call from the harsh reality. Tbh, if I saw this back when I was 63lbs more, I'd feel 'she's kinda right but she could have said it in a humane way'. But still it's rude.

I didn't watch the video because I don't feed trolls views but I felt like responding to your question. I lost weight because my doctor told me I needed to. No amount of fat shaming in the past ever motivated me, and it probably is actually what lead to a lot of weight gain in my life. People like her are a disease on society.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Meh. What a load of sh!te. So called "shaming" of any kind seldom has a positive outcome. At least fat people can lose weight. I'm not sure how a perfect a-hole can be reduced, regardless of how much preparation h they use.
  • Kimegatron
    Kimegatron Posts: 772 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Not feeling this video
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

Except she's not. She's physically disgusted by fat (she makes that very clear in the way she talks about overweight individuals), but couches it in the lie that she cares about health. All she has is anger and judgement, because as a "fat person" I "needed to hear the hard truth" . What hard truth? That my weight put me at risk for heart disease? No. That as a "fat person" to her, and by extension, to society, I was worthless.

She doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about my health, about my lupus, about the arthritis and asthma I've lived with since a child. She doesn't care that I felt so worthless about myself I allowed my husband to physically and emotionally abuse me for years. She doesn't care that I starved myself at 19 to be "normal", resulting in passing out every single day from low blood sugars for months. She's just like everyone who told me that I 'looked great' and 'was so healthy' when I was eating a diet of soy soy soy and more soy despite a soy allergy, because it kept my weight down. Were they bad people? Is she a bad person? I'd say no, just really clueless.

Just as she doesn't care about me, she doesn't care about you, or anyone else who is fat. She was mad that she sat next to a fat person who was violating her personal space on an airline. The rest was just self-righteous ranting typical of her videos.
  • SarcasmIsMyLoveLanguage
    Options
    I'm at a loss. This whole thread is terribly sad.
  • Nanogg55
    Options
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    This had been bothering me for hours to be honest. I'm starting to feel really horrible about myself. I have been in a horribly abusive relationship where I was told how disgusting I was, and a marriage where fat jokes were made towards me when I was even 162 (I'm 5'8") and told I'm disgusting. Now I'm just thinking of how others see me when I'm out running errands and I'm horrified about what they're thinking. I used to have slight agoraphobia after high school when I was thin and don't even want to go on my walks now. I have always felt like people were always laughing at me and now I know they really were. Everyone would say it's not true and that no one is looking at me because they don't care, but I am even more insecure now than I was before I lost these 22 pounds.

Shoot, you are doing great! Focus on the fact that YOU are working to improve your health and that you have lost 22 lbs! That is an awesome achievement and you should be very proud. TBH, most people that you meet out and about are not judging you! If anything, they are focused on their own lives or maybe even worried about what you might be thinking about them. Please yourself; it's the only opinion that truly matters.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Boring and lazy - concern trolling as a cover for easy and cruel jokes made at the expense of the wrong people. I think there are tensions in the discourse around fat acceptance that she could have explored, around the more militant side of that movement, but she just went for cheap shots about obese people and their actual bodies. She's obviously not dumb either, the shame is that she feels she has to rely on low blows to get laughs. #comedyfail #humanbeingfail
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    This woman is quite obnoxious and I don't like her however she does have some valid points BUT that doesn't mean I necessarily think she was right in making her video/rant.

1. It isn't healthy to be severely overweight

2.It isn't fair to impose on someone else's space, especially in the cramped conditions of a plane. Wether it be an arm, leg, baggage or stomach.

3. It isn't fair to be bumped to the front of the line because you can't be bothered standing anymore. (But she doesn't even have proof that this is the case)

Everything else was pretty much *kitten*. People know being overweight isn't healthy. They don't need some try hard telling them that. She makes it seem like everyone not overweight should be judging anyone overweight. When really, very few people think like her. And as the video proved, those few people aren't usually people worth knowing.
  • rachou_101
    rachou_101 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Some people should stop taking themselves so seriously AND grow a sense of humour...
  • Nanogg55
    Options
    rachou_101 wrote: »
    Some people should stop taking themselves so seriously AND grow a sense of humour...
    Is that like growing a pair? If so I agree! Sorry, I really need to go to bed, I'm getting punchy. Night, night everybody...
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    Options
    rachou_101 wrote: »

That's good advice, you should take it
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

Except she's not. She's physically disgusted by fat (she makes that very clear in the way she talks about overweight individuals), but couches it in the lie that she cares about health. All she has is anger and judgement, because as a "fat person" I "needed to hear the hard truth" . What hard truth? That my weight put me at risk for heart disease? No. That as a "fat person" to her, and by extension, to society, I was worthless.

She doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about my health, about my lupus, about the arthritis and asthma I've lived with since a child. She doesn't care that I felt so worthless about myself I allowed my husband to physically and emotionally abuse me for years. She doesn't care that I starved myself at 19 to be "normal", resulting in passing out every single day from low blood sugars for months. She's just like everyone who told me that I 'looked great' and 'was so healthy' when I was eating a diet of soy soy soy and more soy despite a soy allergy, because it kept my weight down. Were they bad people? Is she a bad person? I'd say no, just really clueless.

Just as she doesn't care about me, she doesn't care about you, or anyone else who is fat. She was mad that she sat next to a fat person who was violating her personal space on an airline. The rest was just self-righteous ranting typical of her videos.

Well actually, she does "care", she said she was excluding people with "health issues" (complete with air quotes) in her rant

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    I found her video mildly amusing. And no less or more intelligent than any other youtuber's videos. Loud and obnoxious, but isn't that the point of youtubers?

I'm obese and nothing she said offended me. If I were part of that family I would have been ashamed to have forced my way to the front of the line and then ride the cart to the plane and steal someone's seat for my 'disability.' That all has one name and it's called enablement.
    Except neither you nor she know that obesity was the person's actual disability that allowed the on the plane early. Perhaps the person actually has another disability like chronic fatigue that is actually part of how the person became obese. So yeah, you're both excessively judgmental.

I mean...life is about making judgments. You're making a judgment that they might have chronic fatigue and she's made a judgment that they are obese. Just because your judgment gives you a sense of moral superiority doesn't really make you better than anyone else.
    My comment has no assumptions. You and she are assuming you know why someone was qualified as disabled to go ahead in line. Trying to cover it up and justify it as "life is about making judgements" is about as weak an argument as it gets. Life is in no way about a judging people, and you know that is what is meant by judgements here. There was no need to judge or assume why this person needed to go in the early boarding on the plane. And honestly, you're now calling my calling you out on it a sense of moral superiority? How hypocritical. You started by feeling superior to the other obese person because you'd be obese the right way and not take up the disabled line. You're not saying this because you think I'm being morally superior, you are because you've realized you might not be.

Hmm actually she provided context and said the family stated that they needed to go ahead because their knees were hurting due to the standing. Her assumption being that it was due to excessive weight. At the very minimum, it's a fact that the excessive weight would exacerbate any such knee issues
  • sakurablush
    sakurablush Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Not wanting to be hateful, but I honestly cannot stand people like this lol.

She has a point. It's just a shame she has to hamfist the point into dust, jump up and down and jump some more. Just yet another vile and hateful Youtuber with no really intelligent or insightful knowledge into the subject.
  • FoodFitnessTravel
    FoodFitnessTravel Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    She doesn't give a rat's *kitten* about my health, about my lupus, about the arthritis and asthma I've lived with since a child. She doesn't care that I felt so worthless about myself I allowed my husband to physically and emotionally abuse me for years. She doesn't care that I starved myself at 19 to be "normal", resulting in passing out every single day from low blood sugars for months. She's just like everyone who told me that I 'looked great' and 'was so healthy' when I was eating a diet of soy soy soy and more soy despite a soy allergy, because it kept my weight down.

It's not her fault that you did that either. Why are you calling her clueless when you ate soy to keep yourself sick so you could lose weight?
    The girl is just calling it as she sees it. She can care or don't care, it doesn't matter, the only kind of care that is important for you and your well being is your own.
  • donna70s
    donna70s Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I don't think she understands the medical definition of obese because I am a UK size 16 and considered to be obese. I already have family that make comments such as this to my face don't need it from strangers
  • lauracups
    lauracups Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Here's why I DON'T have an issue with the video; for every one in your face type how many are silently thinking it? Whether I was fat or thin I never found the world shy of mean (and sometimes honest) people. If I want to be comfortable with myself that's on ME, regardless of what one or many have to say about it. In closing, life is rough, get a helmet.
  • melodicraven
    melodicraven Posts: 83 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Here's what I think. I think if everyone in the world were to wake up this morning and poof magically be exactly the perfect weight and body shape - people like her would still find reasons to be mean and mocking and just generally an a-hole.

Oh I'm just so worried about their health. Baloney. Nobody gives a rat's behind about a stranger's health. We (collectively) have no emotional investment in them. We don't care; we don't know them. What do we do seem to care about though is whether or not they are meeting or attempting to meet societal standards about how people should look and what their bodies should be like. The angry people on forum after forum after forum that I've read seem to have a problem with the fatties, both male and female, primarily because society says fat is *kitten*. Moreso with fat women, but it's applicable either way.

No, no, it's their health! Their health! Heart disease! Diabetes!! They're killing themselves!!! Well.... yeah sometimes. So f'ing what. :| It's their body. Their life. Do you approach people in bars who are drinking and educate them about the dangers of alcohol such as drunk driving, liver damage, and the possibility of alcoholism? Nope didn't think so. What about people who are smoking? Now society kind of frowns on that now, but would you feel comfortable becoming confrontational with someone about it? Long as they're not doing it around you, why bother right? What about unprotected sex? Are we on hand passing out condoms and judgement on the irresponsible people who can't be bothered to take care of themselves? Hmm that sounds familiar. What makes it acceptable in one situation and not another? We wouldn't dare lecture a stranger about the dangers of binge drinking and bareback sex. They'd think we were nuts and tell us to piss off. But for some reason, we think it's perfectly ok to police and judge other people's food choices of all things.