DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Options

Replies

• nikidirocco81
    nikidirocco81 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

If I was obese and wasn't doing anything about it, or wasn't doing enough, I'd watch it several times until it sunk in. The reality is that nobody wants to offend a fat person, even if they're a close family member, by telling them they're fat and ruining their lives and need to change their habits. So the fat stay fat or get fatter, when what they need is truth tellers who will tell it like it is.

This.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Well Obama or Oprah would see some serious backlash if they did that. Chris Rock, Tracy and some other comedians, well it would pretty much be par for the course. That's why it's hard for me to get into comedy - it can be so hit or miss. People are doubling over with laughter and I'm either meh or offended. And vice versa. I'm not asking you to be okay with what she said. Just found your comments about a YouTuber getting away with this sort of thing when a real life celebrity wouldn't, interesting

The fact is that a comedian you chose to go to or listen too. You know that they make a living by saying these kinda things
    Its their profession.....but most of the time they do respect people.
    And they are really funny and not always about the expense over other peoples back.

But let me put it even more to real life...i walk up to you in a store and say to you what this girls does...what would you do?
    What will people around you do?

I am sure that then suddenly it isnt funny at all...i am a *kitten*, rude. Maybe even get totally molested...removed by store management etc etc

Now take it to not fat people but a more equal scary subject.... somebodies believe..sex, age or whatever. Something you can bash on...because that is what it is.
    And you say that to a person...than it is not entertaining at all. And in a court even rightfully so punished with a conviction!

To be clear, I understand she's not your cup of tea and you find her vile, and I'm not trying to change your mind about that

Adults do perfectly legal and acceptable things ALL the time, that would be completely inappropriate to walk up to someone in the store and say/do. We chose to click on the link, Nicole didn't just randomly show up and start talking crap in our house.
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Why do people think by pointing out to someone they're fat will shame them into losing weight? I know I'm overweight I don't need anyone telling me. I lose weight for me, not because someone tells me I'm fat.

My best friend telling me that I am fat is exactly what motivated me to start loosing weight.
  • newyorkcitymom
    newyorkcitymom Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    (I mean, she does have a point, to an extent.....but gawd she is obnoxious. She could present a doctoral thesis and it'd still be vapid and annoying.)

And it's none of her business so STFU, lady.

• LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Why do people think by pointing out to someone they're fat will shame them into losing weight? I know I'm overweight I don't need anyone telling me. I lose weight for me, not because someone tells me I'm fat.

My best friend telling me that I am fat is exactly what motivated me to start loosing weight.

So you didn't realize you were overweight until your best friend told you?
  • 3dogsrunning
    3dogsrunning Posts: 27,167 Member
    Options
    AlciaMode wrote: »

So you didn't realize you were overweight until your best friend told you?

I'm not that poster but I never realized how overweight I was until I started losing weight. I knew I had weight on but I thought I carried it well. I was in denial about how big I was. I doubt this video would have clicked with me though since i wouldn't have considered it applying to me at the time.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    ^^^ Understandable I guess just shows how different everyone is. I've always been pretty small and in good shape but I hurt my back and my knees last year and I knew the weight was creeping up on me but didn't really care honestly. I started caring when my clothes stopped fitting. I wasn't in denial or oblivious to the weight gain just was too lazy to start doing anything about it until I started feeling uncomfortable.
  • TiJoGa
    TiJoGa Posts: 545 Member
    Options
    Whitney Way Thore made a great rebuttal video if anyone is interested in viewing it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    In regards to the rebuttal video, all I am seeing is excuses unfortunately. And the exact opposite of fat shaming.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    Options
    She has medical issues and use that as "excuses" yes that is right. She can lose weight, maybe slower but she can.

But she have a hell a lot more class. She didn't shame anybody in the whole video. And she explains exactly right what some words mean. Her "concern" explanation says it all.

kudos for her.

But endless discussion
    We agree to disagree people

I just chose my life with a bit more respect for others and dont talk about others like that. Or there must be a major argue going on....which ( i promise) i dont take to YouTube. ;)

• CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    I don't know who this woman is and quite proud of this.
  • beagletracks
    beagletracks Posts: 6,035 Member
    Options
    I feel really bad when extremely talented, intelligent comedians I respect resort to ridiculing fat people in a hurtful way for laughs -- revealing hatred for fat people in a way they NEVER would reveal racism or homophobia or misogyny (if they did that, I wouldn't consider them intelligent and wouldn't respect them). I am not going to watch this, and I'm not going to make misogynist, fat-shaming, slut-shaming comments about this woman. Watching it promotes the video and supports fat-shaming. It's sad that people are so filled with shame that they will accept abuse because they have had it burned into their minds by everything they see that they deserve it. I admit I will go back to watching an extraordinarily talented comedian I otherwise respect and appreciate after he/she makes jokes about a culture the that makes billions pushing super-sized Big Mac meals only to turn around and make billions more pushing weight-loss products, but only if the comedy is complex social critique with a dash of nastiness rather than simple cruelty for a cheap laugh.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    hac125 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    This girl is disgusting. Being overweight is hard and it's even harder to get everything together to start losing weight ( knowledge, courage, ability etc. ) this isn't the way to motivate someone. This is just wrong wrong wrong.
  • GeddesFit
    GeddesFit Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I'm in the minority here it seems. What's hateful about what she said? All I see is someone calling a spade a spade.

If I was obese and wasn't doing anything about it, or wasn't doing enough, I'd watch it several times until it sunk in. The reality is that nobody wants to offend a fat person, even if they're a close family member, by telling them they're fat and ruining their lives and need to change their habits. So the fat stay fat or get fatter, when what they need is truth tellers who will tell it like it is.

Damned if you do and damned if you don't. I have a niece who has been obese all her life (she dipped her French fries in mayonnaise among other atrocities). I smoked at the time and told her if she lost 30 pounds, which was one-half of what she needed to lose, that I would quit smoking. Of course she didn't do it, and I didn't quit smoking until years later. She went on a starvation diet which had nothing to do with our bet 15 years earlier, and was down to about 140 pounds. Now she's back to nearly 400. So sad, too bad.

Mmmmmm mayo fries!!
  • afranklin85
    afranklin85 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Another response from a youtuber (incase someone hasn't already posted it) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dR7LEQYP4rA
  • bluefish86
    bluefish86 Posts: 842 Member
    Options
    To all those who have commented about her not actually caring about your health and well being.... you're absolutely right. Probably a good thing then that she's an internet comedian and not your doctor.

I understand that weight is a sensitive issue for a lot of people, but surely if we can joke about race, sex and religion, we can joke about obesity?
  • Traveler120
    Traveler120 Posts: 712 Member
    Options
    TiJoGa wrote: »
    Whitney Way Thore made a great rebuttal video if anyone is interested in viewing it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

What a bunch of ridiculous justifications for being fat. PCOS or not, you don't get fat without stuffing garbage into your body or eating to excess. People just want/expect others to make them feel better about their bad habits. This kind of attitude is what makes the original video even more fitting.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    She finally deleted the video