DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    Kimegatron wrote: »
    Looks like she's gained some weight herself...

2013:
    Nicole-Arbour-2013-MuchMusic-Video-Awards---Arrivals.jpg
    2014:
    Nicole_Arbour.jpg

She covers herself in the video saying that it doesn't apply to "chubby" people. Cuz she just can.

I don't see any difference in her weight between these photos.
  • chrissythepoet
    chrissythepoet Posts: 19 Member
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    hac125 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Please do, I think you'll find most of health care is of a similar opinion, even workers who themselves are obese.
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

And you're a nurse?....perhaps you're in the wrong field.

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member

Please do, I think you'll find most of health care is of a similar opinion, even workers who themselves are obese.

These are the reasons I had might light bulb moment, I didn't want to be that person who couldn't lift themselves off the floor, who couldn't climb up on a bed by themself. I watched my 600 lb life and that doctor was so point blank, I think we need that sometimes. (But not in hate by a youtuber.) I also didn't want to be in a extra large casket unable to be carried by 12 men (mindblowing).

And if someone fussed at me no matter what size for "not doing my job" grrrr. ya know!
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,931 Member
    edited September 2015

No, no, it's their health! Their health! Heart disease! Diabetes!! They're killing themselves!!! Well.... yeah sometimes. So f'ing what. :| It's their body. Their life. Do you approach people in bars who are drinking and educate them about the dangers of alcohol such as drunk driving, liver damage, and the possibility of alcoholism? Nope didn't think so. What about people who are smoking? Now society kind of frowns on that now, but would you feel comfortable becoming confrontational with someone about it? Long as they're not doing it around you, why bother right? What about unprotected sex? Are we on hand passing out condoms and judgement on the irresponsible people who can't be bothered to take care of themselves? Hmm that sounds familiar. What makes it acceptable in one situation and not another? We wouldn't dare lecture a stranger about the dangers of binge drinking and bareback sex. They'd think we were nuts and tell us to piss off. But for some reason, we think it's perfectly ok to police and judge other people's food choices of all things.

You make a good point here. She's contradictory. It was either this video or another of hers that she says she drinks and is pro-choice. Why is it ok for her to think people should be allowed to kill fetuses but not themselves (pointing out it should either be ok or not ok to cause early death regardless of situation)? Why is it ok that she can damage her liver by drinking (if she is) but others can't cause other harm by eating (if they are)? Very contradictory!
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!
    When I was in nursing school, it was drilled into our head that we are the patient advocate. I don't care about the doctors, family, whatever, my voice is for the patient. I'm not sure what department you work in but I risk injuring myself everytime I work. Running down the stairs, avoiding getting hit by angry, under medicated mentally ill people, someone elses blood on my arms, hair and yes in my eye once. I've been bit, kicked, pucked on, peed on and called every name in the book.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Wow, just wow.

When I was in nursing school, it was drilled into our head that we are the patient advocate. I don't care about the doctors, family, whatever, my voice is for the patient. I'm not sure what department you work in but I risk injuring myself everytime I work. Running down the stairs, avoiding getting hit by angry, under medicated mentally ill people, someone elses blood on my arms, hair and yes in my eye once. I've been bit, kicked, pucked on, peed on and called every name in the book.

I agree with you, and yes I always have the chance of being injured at work. In fact one of my partners was just out for 2 weeks following an assault by a patient that injured his wrist while we tried to restrain.

However, there are certain things that we can do to reduce risk of injury, such as asking for more people to help when lifting someone who is heavy. I will not not ask for more hands just because it might insult my patient. My safety is paramount and I take steps that I can take to reduce the risk of injury.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member

Wow, just wow.

You appear to strongly dislike parts of your work and if it's so dangerous I don't understand why you keep at it. You're unhappy and it sounds like any obese patients you come into contact with would be too. Maybe you should move into a different area of medicine.
  • stephanieluvspb
    stephanieluvspb Posts: 997 Member

Wow, just wow.

I agree with you, and yes I always have the chance of being injured at work. In fact one of my partners was just out for 2 weeks following an assault by a patient that injured his wrist while we tried to restrain.

However, there are certain things that we can do to reduce risk of injury, such as asking for more people to help when lifting someone who is heavy. I will not not ask for more hands just because it might insult my patient. My safety is paramount and I take steps that I can take to reduce the risk of injury.

Oh agree 100%. If I had a 400 lb patient demand I move him by myself, I'd give him a magazine to read while I go get help :D If people could read my thoughts at work......i'd be in big trouble! lol
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Wow, just wow.

Oh agree 100%. If I had a 400 lb patient demand I move him by myself, I'd give him a magazine to read while I go get help :D If people could read my thoughts at work......i'd be in big trouble! lol

Hahahaha. Id be in big trouble as well lol.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member

Wow, just wow.

As a bigger guy I am always the one being called on to help move patients. Every time I hear people talk about the state of healthcare it is glaringly obvious that they do not work in healthcare. It's all a matter of personal choice and freedom until your freedom impacts others. With personal freedom comes personal responsibility.

• I'm not quite sure what's happening on this thread with all the back-and-forth on healthcare workers but I wanted to chime in and say "thanks" to those of you who are first responders or work in the medical field. I've heard horror stories, and it's a line of work I would never see myself in.
  • ShrinkingSloth
    ShrinkingSloth Posts: 26 Member
    She's hot
  • Fayeworth
    Fayeworth Posts: 60 Member
    edited September 2015
    I doubt she even believes half of what she said in this video, it's a clear attention seeking attempt looking for a reaction just like all that that rubbish Katie Hopkins spouts. Sad, dispicable, horrible, vile, ugly morons.
  • DawnUrbanski
    DawnUrbanski Posts: 39 Member
    I found it more alarming that she disses the walking dead
  • KeepGoinGirl
    KeepGoinGirl Posts: 60 Member
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

I love Whitney's response! She is such a sweetheart.

• snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    Really insensitive and ignorant. Not worth the time to watch past the first 15 seconds.
  • jokoh92
    jokoh92 Posts: 112 Member
    I didn't watch the video but from reading previous comments, I can only imagine the stuff she said and although it probably would bother me a bit, for me, fat shaming motivates me to keep going.

I have been bullied all my life so one more bully is not going to hurt one bit. And you know what they say about bullies. More than likely she has an eating disorder or body image disorder and is deflecting her insecurities onto "Fat People".

Every healthy and fit person I know personally does not have time to think about obese people and rarely comment on them when they do see them. Why? Because they're in a place of total security and are happy with themselves for the most part. Sometimes they might comment and say that's sad (if its a really obese person that is) but for the most part, it really isn't a concern because its not their problem.

Honestly I feel like if you can't stand looking at obese people then look away. Pointing out how fat a person is, is not going to cure anything. The only reason it bothers you so much is because you're not happy with yourself. I've never heard of a happy and content person who has everything going right in their life to point out someone who doesn't.

Even though what she is saying probably has a lot of truth in it, its still only an opinion and an opinion is not fact. Those like me, who struggle with their weight don't need to take it personally to heart because like I said before its more than likely coming from a place of insecurity. Keep going no matter what. Don't let a person drag you down along with them because its hard to climb your way out of it when you realize their just as unhealthy if not more so.