DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Who is this annoying woman who just stole a minute and twenty seven seconds of my life?
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    edited September 2015

Thanks.

She thinks what she's doing is satire, that's pretty funny.
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015
    senecarr wrote: »
    TiJoGa wrote: »
    Whitney Way Thore made a great rebuttal video if anyone is interested in viewing it.
    http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

What a bunch of ridiculous justifications for being fat. PCOS or not, you don't get fat without stuffing garbage into your body or eating to excess. People just want/expect others to make them feel better about their bad habits. This kind of attitude is what makes the original video even more fitting.

Pretty sure she said PCOS was not the sole reason she gained weight. She mentioned it because the original video said it wasn't addressing people with health issues that have contributed to them being overweight.

In most cases, their health issues are the RESULT of them being overweight, not the other way around.

Uh, that's not necessarily true, like at all.

Overweight/obesity increase the risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, some fertility issues, some cancers etc. I thought this was common knowledge. Instead, you're saying they're overweight because of their health problems. I don't think so.

It does happen, with PCOS and thyroid issues, and those aren't exactly unheard of conditions.

I am so tired, though, of hearing people talk about how overweight people "did it to themselves", even on this site. When the problem is really just living a default life in our society with a human body. This is an obesogenic society, end of. It is statistically normal to be overweight or obese. It kind of blows my mind that people can look at stats like that and think it's down to the individual. It is to anyone's credit when they do take things into their own hands, but that is a countercultural thing to do. I'd even say it's subversive, everyone here knows there are social sanctions for restricting calories / bucking norms.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    tomatoey wrote: »
    Whitney Way Thore made a great rebuttal video if anyone is interested in viewing it.

What a bunch of ridiculous justifications for being fat. PCOS or not, you don't get fat without stuffing garbage into your body or eating to excess. People just want/expect others to make them feel better about their bad habits. This kind of attitude is what makes the original video even more fitting.

Pretty sure she said PCOS was not the sole reason she gained weight. She mentioned it because the original video said it wasn't addressing people with health issues that have contributed to them being overweight.

In most cases, their health issues are the RESULT of them being overweight, not the other way around.

Overweight/obesity increase the risk for diabetes, high blood pressure, heart disease, some fertility issues, some cancers etc. I thought this was common knowledge. Instead, you're saying they're overweight because of their health problems. I don't think so.

It does happen, with PCOS and thyroid issues, and those aren't exactly unheard of conditions.

I am so tired, though, of hearing people talk about how overweight people "did it to themselves", even on this site. When the problem is really just living a default life in our society with a human body. This is an obesogenic society, end of. It is statistically normal to be overweight or obese. It kind of blows my mind that people can look at stats like that and think it's down to the individual. It is to anyone's credit when they do take things into their own hands, but that is a countercultural thing to do. I'd even say it's subversive, everyone here knows there are social sanctions for restricting calories / bucking norms.

sorry, i may have mis-read the sentence in bold... But if overweight people didn't make themselves overweight, then who did? Of course barring the obligatory medical conditions....

I, myself, me and only me made myself overweight... why?? Because I ate too much! I have nobody and nothing to blame but myself :huh:

• tomatoey

sorry, i may have mis-read the sentence in bold... But if overweight people didn't make themselves overweight, then who did? Of course barring the obligatory medical conditions....

I, myself, me and only me made myself overweight... why?? Because I ate too much! I have nobody and nothing to blame but myself :huh:

Because of some of the things people have talked about in this thread
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10239541/does-just-immigrating-to-the-usa-lead-to-weight-gain#latest
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member

http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10239541/does-just-immigrating-to-the-usa-lead-to-weight-gain#latest

I'd say it is a levels of analysis problem. On the scale of making a society or the world healthier, all those things are influences and worth policy discussion. That's a macro level discussion.
    If you're on the MFP board looking to discuss your own personal weight loss, I'd hold that at that micro level, you have to view it as personal accountability. If you're not willing to admit over eating is the fundamental cause, and eating less than you burn until you reach your desired weight is the only fundamental solution, you're incredibly unlikely to succeed.
  • OldAssDude
    OldAssDude Posts: 1,436 Member
    I think she is 100% right. And I'm a fat person.

Maybe that is why nobody on this forum likes me...lol
  • tomatoey
    edited September 2015

I'd say it is a levels of analysis problem. On the scale of making a society or the world healthier, all those things are influences and worth policy discussion. That's a macro level discussion.
    If you're on the MFP board looking to discuss your own personal weight loss, I'd hold that at that micro level, you have to view it as personal accountability. If you're not willing to admit over eating is the fundamental cause, and eating less than you burn until you reach your desired weight is the only fundamental solution, you're incredibly unlikely to succeed.

Those are different levels of analysis, but I don't think they're contradictory, and I don't know, I don't have a problem recognizing both how stacked the deck is, and how functioning in an unthinking way leads to obesity so often (and did in my case, as well), and that I gained the knowledge required to come out of that default state (a state of ignorance) and lose weight. I found weight loss empowering, certainly, but I didn't feel the need to blame or feel bad about myself for having been overweight at all. It was like coming out of a cave, and it's not like I put myself in that cave.

And someone will say, "yeah but duh you weren't ignorant before, you are just making excuses, everyone knows you just need to eat less and move more", but it's one thing to know that intellectually, and it's a completely different thing to apply that principle to your day to day habits. To look at the pasta dish you've been eating for lunch for three years and understand that "holy crap that is over half of what I need to be eating" and experiment with alternatives that won't make you want to kill your colleagues and that will still be tasty and get you where you need to go on the scale. To be able to eyeball the volume of a portion of rice served at a restaurant within a reasonable margin of error. To learn how to negotiate birthdays and work dinners, etc - it takes months of hard work and learning and trial and error for people to really groove that knowledge in, against a tide. All of that is stuff that doesn't just come naturally.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    I was really only upset because she talked *kitten* about The Walking Dead. Other than that, not offended or hurt. Is she a bit insensitive? Yeah, but so are a lot of people in the world.

I wasn't born obese, I made myself this way by eating WAY more calories than I needed. It took me a LONG time to put all the math together and to take it seriously and to make the effort to change. This video would not have been a catalyst for me to change and I don't see it as being a catalyst for other people either, but crazier things have happened.

I wish I could fit Starbucks into my daily calories. Even at maintenance, it will be a real treat for me. #LovePumpkinSpiceLatte
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member

Those are different levels of analysis, but I don't think they're contradictory, and I don't know, I don't have a problem recognizing both how stacked the deck is, and how functioning in an unthinking way leads to obesity so often (and did in my case, as well), and that I gained the knowledge required to come out of that default state (a state of ignorance) and lose weight. I found weight loss empowering, certainly, but I didn't feel the need to blame or feel bad about myself for having been overweight at all. It was like coming out of a cave, and it's not like I put myself in that cave.

And someone will say, "yeah but duh you weren't ignorant before, you are just making excuses, everyone knows you just need to eat less and move more", but it's one thing to know that intellectually, and it's a completely different thing to apply that principle to your day to day habits. To look at the pasta dish you've been eating for lunch for three years and understand that "holy crap that is over half of what I need to be eating" and experiment with alternatives that won't make you want to kill your colleagues and that will still be tasty and get you where you need to go on the scale. To be able to eyeball the volume of a portion of rice served at a restaurant within a reasonable margin of error. To learn how to negotiate birthdays and work dinners, etc - it takes months of hard work and learning and trial and error for people to really groove that knowledge in, against a tide. All of that is stuff that doesn't just come naturally.

I can promise you that Dragging my lazy butt to work doesn't come naturally, either, but if I choose not to for months on end and become an unemployed bum, I'm going to have no one else to blame but myself

One thing I will concede to is my frustration with all the confusing information about weight loss that is out there. I honestly was squarely in the, "you know what, I'd rather stay fat than do that" camp, for a while there. This was during a year+ long plateau while exercising regularly, prior to logging my calories on MFP. Appetite suppressant this, cleanse that, starvation mode whatever, they weren't things I could explain or justify to myself, so I decided I'd just live with the couple dozen extra pounds instead. I read articles from time to time about people choosing to remain somewhat overweight while exercising and maintaining other good habits, and still think it's better than some of the alternatives
  • tomatoey
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I can promise you that Dragging my lazy butt to work doesn't come naturally, either, but if I choose not to for months on end and become an unemployed bum, I'm going to have no one else to blame but myself

One thing I will concede to is my frustration with all the confusing information about weight loss that is out there. I honestly was squarely in the, "you know what, I'd rather stay fat than do that" camp, for a while there. This was during a year+ long plateau while exercising regularly, prior to logging my calories on MFP. Appetite suppressant this, cleanse that, starvation mode whatever, they weren't things I could explain or justify to myself, so I decided I'd just live with the couple dozen extra pounds instead. I read articles from time to time about people choosing to remain somewhat overweight while exercising and maintaining other good habits, and still think it's better than some of the alternatives

Well, that's exactly it. Knowledge about calorie counting (and macros, which I find does help with sticking to target) is technically available, but you have to know where to find it and what to make of it. It's *extremely* easy for people to see the cabbage soup diet and whatever else first - there's so much profit-motivated sludge out there (and also just sincerely meant bad ideas) messing people up. So people think they have to decide between drinking cider vinegar before every meal, or running for hours every day, and living a normal life. At least the gadget era seems to be over (anyone remember the Thigh Master?).
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

Well, that's exactly it. Knowledge about calorie counting (and macros, which I find does help with sticking to target) is technically available, but you have to know where to find it and what to make of it. It's *extremely* easy for people to see the cabbage soup diet and whatever else first - there's so much profit-motivated sludge out there (and also just sincerely meant bad ideas) messing people up. So people think they have to decide between drinking cider vinegar before every meal, or running for hours every day, and living a normal life. At least the gadget era seems to be over (anyone remember the Thigh Master?).

True, but people could probably exercise regularly and not eat crap tons of pizza (or whatever) and still maintain a relatively low weight. But it's damn hard work, could involve discomfort for more than a few seconds at a time, and there's an aspect of personal responsibility or lack thereof that causes some to give up way too early
  • AlciaMode
    AlciaMode Posts: 421 Member
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    AlciaMode wrote: »
    Why do people think by pointing out to someone they're fat will shame them into losing weight? I know I'm overweight I don't need anyone telling me. I lose weight for me, not because someone tells me I'm fat.

My best friend telling me that I am fat is exactly what motivated me to start loosing weight.

So you didn't realize you were overweight until your best friend told you?

I realized it just fine. But him pulling me aside to talk about was the smack that got me to do something smarty pants.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Had to watch the video to see what all the fuss was about and admittedly I found it humorous. To me the point of this video is to challenge me to honestly admit 'am I doing everything I can to manage my health'?? If the answer is yes... that I always make healthy food choices, measure my food, exercise daily, work with my doctor to manage my health and I'm still overweight?...then I have the right to be offended. But if I make poor food choices, skip a workout here and there, drink more alcohol than I should, don't stretch and haven't had a physical in 3 years...I have no one to blame but myself if I'm carrying more fat that I'd like. I now have a choice... keep fighting and own my issues or cry and b*tch about how nasty this woman is.

I will own my issues and keep fighting like like I hope the rest of you do.
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Why do people think by pointing out to someone they're fat will shame them into losing weight? I know I'm overweight I don't need anyone telling me. I lose weight for me, not because someone tells me I'm fat.

My best friend telling me that I am fat is exactly what motivated me to start loosing weight.

So you didn't realize you were overweight until your best friend told you?

I realized it just fine. But him pulling me aside to talk about was the smack that got me to do something smarty pants.

That's awesome it worked for you, but for lots, people pointing out they're fat doesn't help. Not trying to argue just saying!
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    shell1005 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    hac125 wrote: »
    hekla90 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.
  • Fuelly
    Fuelly Posts: 7 Member
    Personally, I have a newly found appreciation for brutal honesty anymore. In my opinion, I would rather hear what people are REALLY thinking rather than having them tell me lies. There's no doubt this woman is a bimbo, but her motive is to get a reaction. Apparently her mission is accomplished. For those who take a great deal of offense to this video, perhaps you should spend more time being honest with your situation instead of constantly making excuses for why things are the way they are. I'm in the same boat as you all when defining why I'm here. This woman is a money grubbing, YouTube exploiting, dingbat who wanted to gain popularity by attempting to offend. If you are offended, then she can rest her case. If you take it for what it is, you'll find motivation in it. Don't get sad, get MAD, and do something about it!