DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• thecharmedlittleone
    thecharmedlittleone Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Whitney Way Thore made a VERY good point when she posted this video and in my opinion, those who believe that there are people that are so unhappy with themselves, they have to make everyone else miserable. As a woman with PCOS (and no, I don't have the best of eating habits) but losing weight DOESN'T mean you have to give up Starbucks... I would reconsider an everyday trip though. I have been using MFP for over a year, watching what I eat and exercising regularly, the only weight I managed to lose was 30 lbs. it takes extreme effort when you have a medical condition and you never know by just looking at a person. I was overweight as a child but I grew into my weight and actually looked pretty decent until I was 15 and traumatic event happened to my family that sent me into a severe case of PTSD to the point I was hospitalized. I was put on an anti-seizure medication that WAS NOT approved for people under age 18. As a result despite of my exercise very minimal eating still I gained weight faster than I could've ever imagined. So I understand where Whitney is coming from and for her to have the courage to make a video makes her an inspiration for me... I have felt the rejection for being overweight most of my life and it was never because of lack of energy to exercise... But don't judge a book by it's cover because to shame someone for being "Fat" could mean that you're missing out on someone with a beautiful personality
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

• yusaku02
    yusaku02 Posts: 3,476 Member
    wonko221 wrote: »
    She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?
    Not at all. I find her annoying but she's not wrong. A few bits of the video were funny too.
    If anyone is angry about/offended by this video then they need to leave the internet and never come back. Because it gets a LOT worse than that.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    hekla90 wrote: »
    hac125 wrote: »
    elphie754 wrote: »
    shell1005 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

And you're a nurse?....perhaps you're in the wrong field.
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications?

Nope those things are doing your job. Telling an obese patient when you can't move him or her (as part of your job) that they are gonna HEAR ABOUT IT....is not. The fact that you work in the ICU where you come across people at their worst moments is just sad and pathetic to me. For shame.

Did you read what I said? I said they get grumpy when I explain I can't move them by myself... I have had 400 lb people that demand a 98 lb nurse move them alone when they are fully capable of moving themselves. Yeah, no. Lots of those worst moments can be avoided by taking care of yourself. I don't have much sympathy for those that choose to live unhealthily, choices have consequences.

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!

You appear to strongly dislike parts of your work and if it's so dangerous I don't understand why you keep at it. You're unhappy and it sounds like any obese patients you come into contact with would be too. Maybe you should move into a different area of medicine.

My job can be dangerous and I take precautions to keep myself safe which apparently is very upsetting to the mfp community lol. I love my job and I definitely am not unhappy- is stating facts something that makes you think I'm unhappy? Obesity does complicate taking care of patients on every level and with overweight and obese people being the large majority of our population, it doesn't matter what I do it's my responsibility as a nurse to know how that affects their care and how to safely manage them. Sorry that offends everyone lol and yes it's still a pain to find 5 free people to hell you turn, it never won't be a pain.

No one has said you shouldn't take precautions to keep yourself safe. That includes getting assistance when lifting an obese patient. Nor should you have to take abuse from your patients. By the same token, your patients should not have to take abuse from you. You have stated in your posts that you do not hesitate to humiliate patients that are obese, have high blood pressure or require pain medications. I just don't understand this attitude; it's one thing to be privately disgusted by patients who are ruining their health or even to vent to your colleagues, friends or MFP about it but why go out of your way to be hurtful? Does it help?
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    1) quit paying attention to her. Posting this video, clicking on this video, and discussing this video is THE POINT of this video. If you don't want to support the creator, don't engage with it....

2) Most of us are here because we realize that it is our bad choices that brought us to an unhealthy position. She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?

Don't comment on this video...

But here's my comment!
  • vivmom2014
    vivmom2014 Posts: 1,647 Member
    yusaku02 wrote: »
    She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?
    Not at all. I find her annoying but she's not wrong. A few bits of the video were funny too.
    If anyone is angry about/offended by this video then they need to leave the internet and never come back. Because it gets a LOT worse than that.

Srsly? That's hilarious.

• stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member

If I had a way to forward those comments to your employer, I would. Enjoy your righteous judgment.

Wow, just wow.

I also work in healthcare, on the 911 side. There have been many times I have had to call for help for a "lift assist" because realistically my partner and I can not SAFELY carry a 350+ lb patient down the stairs on our own. I have also had patients and family members get upset at having to wait for extra help. Do I try to stay nice and understanding to the patient? Absolutely. Have I ever said anything unprofessional to them because of that? Absolutely not. However, I not a perfect human being, and yes the thought does cross my mind that in most (not all) cases, the patient put themselves in that position (not the medical emergency they are currently experiencing, but the morbid obesity).

Unless people work in it they just don't understand! Heck we've had cases where patients are too big for the ambulances and people expect a miracle. Obesity complicates everything from moving your patient even require lifts, to starting an iv, to protecting the air way, to how they react to pain meds and anesthesia, recovering for surgery (surgical wounds that split back open under the stress are not a pretty site!),etc. When you work the front lines of the obesity crisis you really view on a whole different level that others just don't get. And I will not risk injuring myself!

You appear to strongly dislike parts of your work and if it's so dangerous I don't understand why you keep at it. You're unhappy and it sounds like any obese patients you come into contact with would be too. Maybe you should move into a different area of medicine.

My job can be dangerous and I take precautions to keep myself safe which apparently is very upsetting to the mfp community lol. I love my job and I definitely am not unhappy- is stating facts something that makes you think I'm unhappy? Obesity does complicate taking care of patients on every level and with overweight and obese people being the large majority of our population, it doesn't matter what I do it's my responsibility as a nurse to know how that affects their care and how to safely manage them. Sorry that offends everyone lol and yes it's still a pain to find 5 free people to hell you turn, it never won't be a pain.

No one has said you shouldn't take precautions to keep yourself safe. That includes getting assistance when lifting an obese patient. Nor should you have to take abuse from your patients. By the same token, your patients should not have to take abuse from you. You have stated in your posts that you do not hesitate to humiliate patients that are obese, have high blood pressure or require pain medications. I just don't understand this attitude; it's one thing to be privately disgusted by patients who are ruining their health or even to vent to your colleagues, friends or MFP about it but why go out of your way to be hurtful? Does it help?

OK, now hang on. No where in anyone's posts was there mention of "not [hesitating] to humiliate patients that are obese, have high blood pressure or require pain medications."

You're reading way more into the previous posts than is there.
  • wonko221
    wonko221 Posts: 292 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    1) quit paying attention to her. Posting this video, clicking on this video, and discussing this video is THE POINT of this video. If you don't want to support the creator, don't engage with it....

2) Most of us are here because we realize that it is our bad choices that brought us to an unhealthy position. She's being rude, blunt, whatever... but is she wrong? Really, really wrong?

But here's my comment!

Have you missed my point that badly?
  • Chabela53
    Chabela53 Posts: 130 Member
    Lordy...I have NO interest in watching the video...I think the posts ^ tell it all. I wonder, could we do a video shaming her for the lines in her face? Just saying. ;)
  • Nanogg55

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you. [/quote]

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients? [/quote]

I guess I also blood pressure shame when I treat hypertension and pain shame when I administer pain medications? [/quote]

[/quote]

[/quote]

And you're a nurse?....perhaps you're in the wrong field.[/quote]

My job can be dangerous and I take precautions to keep myself safe which apparently is very upsetting to the mfp community lol. I love my job and I definitely am not unhappy- is stating facts something that makes you think I'm unhappy? Obesity does complicate taking care of patients on every level and with overweight and obese people being the large majority of our population, it doesn't matter what I do it's my responsibility as a nurse to know how that affects their care and how to safely manage them. Sorry that offends everyone lol and yes it's still a pain to find 5 free people to hell you turn, it never won't be a pain. [/quote]

No one has said you shouldn't take precautions to keep yourself safe. That includes getting assistance when lifting an obese patient. Nor should you have to take abuse from your patients. By the same token, your patients should not have to take abuse from you. You have stated in your posts that you do not hesitate to humiliate patients that are obese, have high blood pressure or require pain medications. I just don't understand this attitude; it's one thing to be privately disgusted by patients who are ruining their health or even to vent to your colleagues, friends or MFP about it but why go out of your way to be hurtful? Does it help? [/quote]

OK, now hang on. No where in anyone's posts was there mention of "not [hesitating] to humiliate patients that are obese, have high blood pressure or require pain medications."

You're reading way more into the previous posts than is there.[/quote]

Nope, I don't think so-although you are right, hekla90 did not use those exact words; I stand corrected. But her posts indicate that she sees nothing wrong with shaming patients and does it herself.
  • I really wish I had seen this video about 15 years ago when I was obese, had heart trouble, anxiety and depression and my life was falling apart. I was completely oblivious to the fact I was 90 lbs overweight and needed to do something about it. All I needed was someone to bash my head in about how disgusting I was, and I'm sure I would have realized the error of my ways.

This woman could save the world from obesity if given half the chance. Why is everyone so hard on her?

/sarc off
  • SingRunTing
    SingRunTing Posts: 2,604 Member
    edited September 2015

You're reading way more into the previous posts than is there.

Nope, I don't think so-although you are right, hekla90 did not use those exact words; I stand corrected. But her posts indicate that she sees nothing wrong with shaming patients and does it herself.

Reading comprehension.

She didn't say that she shames them. You are completely misreading what she typed. Completely.
  • Nanogg55
    I comprehend quite well. Read the bolded sections of her posts above. As I said, her posts are indicating that she sees nothing wrong with fat shaming and has done it to her patients when they have been "snarky" towards her. She also said that she blood pressure shames when treating hypertension and pain shames when she is administering medication. Perhaps she was exaggerating on that last bit but the overall tenor of her posts is pretty harsh towards obese patients. This is a thread about fat shaming; it's my perception that she feels it's OK to shame patients who are obese. I do have a hard time comprehending that! :wink:
  • stealthq
    stealthq Posts: 4,298 Member
    I comprehend quite well. Read the bolded sections of her posts above. As I said, her posts are indicating that she sees nothing wrong with fat shaming and has done it to her patients when they have been "snarky" towards her. She also said that she blood pressure shames when treating hypertension and pain shames when she is administering medication. Perhaps she was exaggerating on that last bit but the overall tenor of her posts is pretty harsh towards obese patients. This is a thread about fat shaming; it's my perception that she feels it's OK to shame patients who are obese. I do have a hard time comprehending that! :wink:

OK.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough.

It is negligence for medical personnel not to advise a patient when their weight is becoming a health risk. A health professional factually telling someone they are medically overweight or obese when they are is not shaming them unless not done in a professional way.

Telling a person that they are too heavy for you to lift without help is not shaming them.

Telling a person that their fat, lazy *kitten* is the reason you're having to call an army to get them from one bed to another would be shaming them.

She could have done either based on what she wrote. I don't see anything that indicates whether she would have been unprofessional or not.

That's sarcasm, not a statement about what she does. She's asking if the administration of pain medication is pain shaming, if treating hypertension is blood pressure shaming. The implication being that if it is not, then whatever she needs to do to treat an obese patient is not fat shaming either.
  • jerber160
    jerber160 Posts: 2,606 Member

[/quote]

Except this one is actually funny and that one is trying too hard, and the whole thing is getting more attention than it deserves. The world is being taken over by this culture of offense which really thrives on "controversy" and attempts to fish for it even in the most benign things.

Someone's put their foot in their mouth for the sake of popularity. So what? Why do we feel the need to over-analyze this, pass judgement, and run around (hopefully at a reasonable enough pace) in angry virtual protests? Have a thicker skin. "Fat people", even those who are actually being bullied, don't care about a random chick on the internet making an attempt at comedy. I can assure you no one who doesn't know her personally is going to lose actual sleep over it. [/quote]

I'm not on with ya... Carlin's incessant cursing turns me off. I did like the Cirque du Soleil quip... the rest.. stop swearing!
  • MelodyandBarbells
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

But here's my comment!

Have you missed my point that badly?

The "quit paying attention to her, but here's me paying attention to her!" point? Why, of course!
  • MommyL2015
    MommyL2015 Posts: 1,411 Member
    This is Whitney's response. She's from the new TLC show. My Big Fat Fabulous Life.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r2YYZBrPwwU

So I had to check this show out. It just happens to be on TLC right now, much to my dismay. Here's what I got out of it. She's 30, weighs 380 pounds at about 5'2" and still lives at home. And? What am I missing here?

Now, I don't know this woman, who she is or what her issues may or may not be but what I'm trying to figure out is how the HECK this crap is TV worthy? I don't watch much television at all, so is it that the TV people completely run out of ideas or have we just devolved as a society?

I didn't bother watching the YouTube of the thing in the OP.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Uh no she didn't. She was making a comparison. She was trying to say that treating obesity and not turning a blind eye is similar to treating high blood pressure instead of ignoring it. You are completely misreading what she said.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member

Uh no she didn't. She was making a comparison. She was trying to say that treating obesity and not turning a blind eye is similar to treating high blood pressure instead of ignoring it. You are completely misreading what she said.

Meh. Telling a patient that they are GONNA HEAR ABOUT how obese they are isn't treatment. That's the difference. This nurse and most of this thread doesn't seem to understand that. The fact that this woman is often the point of access to those in the ICU is not just sad, but concerning for me. This nurse also said that she has no compassion for those whose obesity brings them into the ICU because there are consequences for one's behavior. If that was ever the type of nurse that was treating my mom when she was in the ICU, I'd do everything I could to have her badge. But then again, I think people should be treated with dignity and respect in a hospital setting even if their own poor choices brought them in the door. Silly me.

I have a feeling "gonna hear about it" was an exaggeration.

I agree that maybe the way she phrased it was wrong, but there is nothing wrong with pointing out how choices can impact our health.

By the same logic, if someone has lung disease from smoking, and still smokes, I should say nothing? There are many people who have COPD and yet still smoke and then wonder why they have a flare up and need treatment. That is a direct effect of a poor health choice, and yes I will point that out to a patient.
  • MelodyandBarbells

Meh. Telling a patient that they are GONNA HEAR ABOUT how obese they are isn't treatment. That's the difference. This nurse and most of this thread doesn't seem to understand that. The fact that this woman is often the point of access to those in the ICU is not just sad, but concerning for me. This nurse also said that she has no compassion for those whose obesity brings them into the ICU because there are consequences for one's behavior. If that was ever the type of nurse that was treating my mom when she was in the ICU, I'd do everything I could to have her badge. But then again, I think people should be treated with dignity and respect in a hospital setting even if their own poor choices brought them in the door. Silly me.

She was telling us the patient's gonna hear about it. As for what exactly that entails, you're filling in the blanks and IMO letting your imagination run wild :laugh: