DEAR FAT PEOPLE

Replies

• Domicinator
    Domicinator Posts: 261 Member
    For some reason, I have no opinion on this either way. On one hand, yes, it's mean and cruel, and she is wearing the joke completely out. I didn't make it all the way through the video because she's incredibly annoying.

On the other hand, at least in the US, there is a serious denial problem. People will take a thousand different medications for all their obesity related health issues and try a thousand different magic GNC pills before they'll admit that they have a weight problem. I know so many people who have had heart attacks, been on blood pressure meds at a young age, or just simply can't walk up a flight of stairs without getting completely winded. They will blame this on a zillion different things EXCEPT their weight.

So yes, she's out of line and I find her words pretty hurtful and inflammatory. But I can't sit here and say she doesn't have valid points.
  • carmenfalcon97
    carmenfalcon97 Posts: 19 Member
    Rude and tacky, not the way to get people to be healthy... No such thing as fat shaming? Yet she proceeds to do exactly that in this video.
  • vlovell24
    vlovell24 Posts: 61 Member
    I am a chubby gal, and I found her to be adorable. She's blunt, but she is right. I have lost 49lb so far, and got 50lb to go. Ironically, my knees quit hurting about 10lb ago. So, I won't be going to the front of the airport line with that problem anymore :smile:
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    The whole issue to me here is

When i pick out somebody here...anybody will do.
    And say your fat, you are a pig you have to lose weight
    You are a big ***** and your issues with getting ill/diabetic is the reason why we pay more for healthcare
    You a totally lazy ***** and stuffing your face blablabla

Than everybody goes bananas, i get jailed, maybe even banned here
    I get all kind of responses of being rude and a troll
    But when i am a youtube bimbo....than people have something...gosh what funnyyyyyy she is good...or she is right

Were is the line people? The respect we have for each other?
    Were was the point that people find it funny/good and acceptable that there are people who behave like this?
    That we accept that they treat others like this?

Another aspect is...when a celebrity like Trumph or Obama would say things like that it is unacceptable...not done etc
    But a girl on youtube is funny and accepted.

For me it is not even the shamming because the girl is so ofworld to me that she is everything what she says about others herself. To me that is.
    But the tolerance of people around her, the acceptance...is more frightening and scary, more to worry about than the whole bimbo herself.

This is how bullying got accepted and discrimination...it sneaks in as mehhhh who cares..gosh funny...oh he/she is right
    Lets bash some more

Now that is the scary part.....and the fact that some people here and out there not even see this.

And to me lol a chickie like that has no impact on me or my life. They have to come from a little bit of a better background and home to impress me

• MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Well Obama or Oprah would see some serious backlash if they did that. Chris Rock, Tracy and some other comedians, well it would pretty much be par for the course. That's why it's hard for me to get into comedy - it can be so hit or miss. People are doubling over with laughter and I'm either meh or offended. And vice versa. I'm not asking you to be okay with what she said. Just found your comments about a YouTuber getting away with this sort of thing when a real life celebrity wouldn't, interesting
  • hekla90
    hekla90 Posts: 595 Member
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    The most offensive thing about that video is her lack of talent. Her rant about Instagram models wasn't much better.

She's about as funny as a dose of the clap...
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    Well Obama or Oprah would see some serious backlash if they did that. Chris Rock, Tracy and some other comedians, well it would pretty much be par for the course. That's why it's hard for me to get into comedy - it can be so hit or miss. People are doubling over with laughter and I'm either meh or offended. And vice versa. I'm not asking you to be okay with what she said. Just found your comments about a YouTuber getting away with this sort of thing when a real life celebrity wouldn't, interesting

The fact is that a comedian you chose to go to or listen too. You know that they make a living by saying these kinda things
    Its their profession.....but most of the time they do respect people.
    And they are really funny and not always about the expense over other peoples back.

But let me put it even more to real life...i walk up to you in a store and say to you what this girls does...what would you do?
    What will people around you do?

I am sure that then suddenly it isnt funny at all...i am a *kitten*, rude. Maybe even get totally molested...removed by store management etc etc

Now take it to not fat people but a more equal scary subject.... somebodies believe..sex, age or whatever. Something you can bash on...because that is what it is.
    And you say that to a person...than it is not entertaining at all. And in a court even rightfully so punished with a conviction!

• tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    My point is that by claiming she "caes about your health" she exposed herself as a big fraud.
  • Nanogg55
    Nanogg55 Posts: 275 Member
    hekla90 wrote: »
    abatonfan wrote: »
    ...Do people really have this much time on their hands to make videos about something that is ultimately none of their business? Honestly, unless you're a part of that person's medical team (and the patient hasn't expressed wishes to not discuss weight), then it's none of your business.

I gave up after 1:28 minutes of pure bigotry.

Yeah sorry people get to a certain weight and its negligence not to mention it. And when you are mega obese and I'm having to lift you because your unhealthy lifestyle has landed you in an ICU, it's my business and you will hear about it. Especially when you snark me out for not being able to move 300 lbs by myself fast enough. Obesity is a massive health concern and you should want a health care team that addresses it with you.

Obesity is a massive health concern but addressing it by shaming people is not going to work. Most obese people already know they have a problem and do not want unsolicited advice. There is a big difference between humiliating someone about their weight or having a medical team, presumably hired by the obese person addressing the issue. It sounds like you might work in the medical field; are your employers cool with you fat shaming the patients?
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    She's like 12. Her opinion is irrelevant, who cares!

I actually looked up her age to see if she was just real young and stupid. Sad to say she is 30 and should know better by now.

Wow she's only 30? She looks like she's had a rough life to me, I would've guessed 35-40. She's my age!!
  • OneHundredToLose
    OneHundredToLose Posts: 8,534 Member
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    Yoshirio wrote: »
    Liftng4Lis wrote: »
    She's like 12. Her opinion is irrelevant, who cares!

I actually looked up her age to see if she was just real young and stupid. Sad to say she is 30 and should know better by now.

Wow she's only 30? She looks like she's had a rough life to me, I would've guessed 35-40. She's my age!!

Straining to stay relevant based solely on looks can do that to a person
  • beliwoohoo
    beliwoohoo Posts: 6 Member
    Im fat and I think its a funny video. I like her sense of humour. And I absolutely agree with her about personal space, so much so I walk to the front of the train where there are less people so noone has to have my fat touching their legs. I also feel this way when people make jokes about manspreading on the train. Neither situations are comfortable or communally friendly.

The bit about fat people parking spaces being down the far end of the carpark was funny too.

The bit that did hit me was when she mentioned she always gets searched at airports. I usually brag that I never get searched at airports. I've done a mental headcount of my friends who say that always get searched and they are all physically a healthy weight. I won't brag anymore...
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    ^^ Yes that's true thinking about it but that's sad!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Have to admit the "plane story" struck a chord with me. I selected an aisle seat when I made my reservation. Moved to a window seat (three seats per row) when the flight attendant asked because the guy with the window seat said he was claustrophobic. A very large man came and sat down in the middle seat. Before he did, he moved the arm rest up and said he can't sit with it down. He took up all of his seat and about half of mine. Flight attendant said there were no empty seats. I tried to get up (figured I would stand by the bathroom) and he said he can't move in-flight. I was pinned to the window for a cross-country, direct flight in my half-seat. :neutral:
  • november_rain
    november_rain Posts: 5 Member
    edited September 2015
    Omg!! I love her! She is hilarious. I've seen a few of her other videos and love how real these "issues" are and how she calls us all out. I am fat. I can't blame my unhealthy lifestyle on anything or anyone but myself- my own choices, lack of concern for my health and well being. I take full responsibility for getting myself here. Just like anything in my life. If we can't understand that and accept that, then how in the hell are we going to get healthy? We can continue being sensitive to these issues and keep making excuses or we can face the truth and move forward.
  • tomatoey
    tomatoey Posts: 5,459 Member
    msf74 wrote: »
    The most offensive thing about that video is her lack of talent. Her rant about Instagram models wasn't much better.

She's about as funny as a dose of the clap...

Right?! She's a hack.

total hack. she should be embarrassed to call herself a comedian.
  • nikidirocco81
    nikidirocco81 Posts: 11 Member
    Well I happen to like Nicole Arbour, I find her very funny and I don't take offence to anything she says and I have watched a lot of her videos. I didn't take anything she was saying as her being mean.

I didn't take offense either. This is the first I've heard of her, and while I agree she's trying too hard to be Jenna Marbles, I thought the video was funny.