WOMEN AGES 50 + FOR SEPTEMBER 2015

Options

Replies

• klanders30
    klanders30 Posts: 2,569 Member
    Options
    Karen from ny here. Had a sleepless nite , husband and i are in deep silent treatment mode, rough patch is making me want to eat, lie in bed and not move. Have to face a bbq with folks i dont really want to be with but cant get out of, hope i dont stress eat. I am going to force myself to go to gym and set treadmill to 15% and just walk 3 miles on it just so i can drink a beer at bbq to help me get through. Thank heavens i have the day off tomorrow to reset and recover for a positive week. I know this is a choice i can make.....
    Just watched "Wild" last nite, very inspirational and i am trying to channel that quiet resolve to face the life you have in order to have the life you want.
  • Katla49
    Katla49 Posts: 10,385 Member
    Options
    Pip: Good luck on your long ride. I love your pumpkin nails! I'm in the same situation as Barbie. your snacks look WAAAAY to good. :bigsmile:

I am about to leave home for a road trip to CO to see DD and the grand kids. I'll likely be able to check in regularly, but if not, you know I'll be traveling. I will log my food and beverages. The goals are all the same, regardless of travel.

Katla in Beautiful NW Oregon

• relater2000
    relater2000 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone!

I am from mid-Michigan and fairly new to MFP.

A little about me - I am 58, divorced since 2003. I have 8 great children, ages 35 down to 17, and 7 grand children, ages 3 months to 8 1/2 years old. The little one in the picture is my youngest, Novanya. I also found out a couple of weeks ago that my oldest daughter is expecting another one in April!

I was diagnosed with type II Diabetes and basically rebelled. I've had some ups and downs, but this year made the decision to really do something about my eating and getting more exercise to get weight and Diabetes under control.

I don't have much time to read and post, because I work 8-5 M-F and am actively involved with my church and local eccumenical community.

Elaine
  • 35mustgo
    35mustgo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi, I love reading all your posts from the USA but just wondering if there is anyone from the UK too?
  • DamitJanit
    DamitJanit Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    Call me crazy but I love to see other people happy and succeeding .

Good Morning Ladies,

Michele, I am going to have to try those Hungry Girl brownies. What size can of pumpkin do you use? And do you bake it for the same time as on the cake mix box?

Beth, sending best wishes for your DS. Hopefully they can get good results and come up with an even better treatment.

Tina, my heart goes out to you as your furbaby’s health fails. It is so hard on us and I think worse because they can’t talk to us. Great that your DH is being a trooper about helping with the stairs. Good luck.

Mae, welcome or I guess I should say, “welcome back”. If you go to the top of the page and look to the right of the Forum Name there is a gray star. When you click it, it will turn orange/gold. That puts it in your favorites. Then to find it, when you get to Community, near the top right there are three symbols: A Bell, Star and Gear. When you click on the Star it will show all your favorites and you can click on this one. I look forward to hearing more about you and getting to know you. Come often.

Janetr, I haven’t heard from JanetM in a while. It seemed she was posting less and less often, so hopefully she is just busy and nothing is wrong. I do hope we hear from her soon.

Sharon, a huge CONGRATS on paying off your mortgage. That is so wonderful! Guessing we may never get there, but that’s okay too. Very happy for you.

Heather, what darling clothes. What fun to shape for a little girl.

Allison, the beach is a great “Happy Place” and I’m so glad you get to enjoy it. Sorry about your brother trying to put a damper on the weekend. Your brother needs to realize how lucky ya’ll are to still have your Dad. I hope the rest of the weekend goes better. You know I love cruises! I’d vote for that. The great thing about them is you can do as much or as little as you like. What’s better than that? wave.gif

Lisa, I’m sure you will get a lot more work done at home than in the restaurant. Cool beans on your new bikes. So nice you have an exercise you can do together now.

Karen, sorry for your rough patch. At least you are aware that stress eating could be in your future so just watch out for it. Good for you on thinking positive. It makes a ton of difference. Wishing you the best.

Katla, safe travels and have a wonderful time with your DD and the grands.

Elaine, welcome. I’m sorry to hear you don’t have much time to read the posts and post because I find it is such a huge help to me. But the important thing is to log your food and eat properly. I was a Type II diabetic and since losing weight I have been able to get off all medication. That is a wonderful thing to me. Best of luck with your journey.

VLJay, oh yes! You mean when you read Heather’s posts you don’t hear that home country accent? I think there is someone else here from England but they don’t visit as often. We don’t mean to make it all about America, but for many of us, it’s all we know. We love having friends from all over the world.

welcome.gif to any Newbies that I missed. Come often and join in the chat. This thing works!! Please sign your post with what you want to be called. It makes it easier for us to respond to you. Also a location is great, be it specific or general. We are happy to have you join us.

It looks like scattered showers for us for the next 7 days. Luckily the cook out tomorrow can be done indoors if needed. I hope you all have a great Labor Day. Stay safe, my friends.

I hope all of you have a healthy and happy day. rose.gif

Words I live by:
    Savor. I have to slow down and savor every bite.
    and
    Opportunity. Each day offers new opportunities for good health and happiness if we just look for them and choose them.
    I Love you, smiley-love013.gif
    DJ
    Myrtle Beach, SC
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    morning peeops-
    had some sleep last nite. hard getting there tho.

to the person who is have poacher tumor issues. i'm so sorry... i ended up sleeping downstairs with rocky instead of taking him up and down all the time. it will be a hard decision for you.

to the person who asked when my ride is, it's on the 12 and 13th. my surgery will be on the 24th.

gonna go workout for a bit then go pick up the airstream bring it home and give it a bath.

those pumpkin bars are individually wrapped so i have one. i am not big pretzel person and i haven't had them yet 9 pretzels will = 180 cal. that will be easy to limit my intake. take out 9, zip it up and put the bag away

type to ya later
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,313 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    VJay - Yes, I'm from Hampshire. UK. I love reading about all these ladies in the US. I have learnt so much about the USA I now feel I'm an expert. :laugh: I keep working on DH to go over there, but so far I'm not having much success. He did love New York a year ago. <3 So many places I want to visit!

Have any of you ladies tried mulberries? We have a tree in the garden and today DH brought me in some of the berries. I had them in a bit of yoghurt with walnuts and dried apricots. Yummo! <3 They are not common over here.

Lazy day today. :D Did my exercises, then, apart from cooking, I have just flopped. Lovely. Picked some beans and the last sweet peas. Sun is shining. :D Finished the Saturday paper and some magazines that had been accumulating so I can throw them away.

Sooooooo looking forward to tomorrow and my hugalugs. :love:

Heather, under a blue sky, in rural Hampshire in the south of the UK.

DJ - by the way, there is no such thing as a "British" accent. Like the US we all have different accents depending on where we come from. Also the UK is four different countries. My accent is predominantly RP - "received pronunciation", but I can drop into a bit of cockney as I was originally from London and often find myself talking Hampshire when I'm talking to someone with a strong rural accent. I'm one of those people who unconsciously adopt the accent of whoever I'm talking to. Can be embarrassing as sometimes they think I'm making fun of them. :embarassed:

• 35mustgo
    35mustgo Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Hi Heather, lovely to 'meet' you.
    I'm from Devon, not too far from you!
    Vicki
  • momof10
    momof10 Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Hello I have to say it'ssso nice seeing some from when I first join still here this is always been a wonderful group thank you Barb for keeping it going
  • pwrfl1
    pwrfl1 Posts: 673 Member
    Options
    Got my circuit training in while hubby was out getting coffee. When you live about 10 miles from nearest town or gas station , it s a good time to take advantage of the one TV in the house. I'm on day 5 Level 1 of Jillian Michaels 30 day shred..... I read on another forum ( shredders ), where participants were losing 5 or so inches on their bellys doing this dvd. So I pulled it out and dusted it off....and pushed play. It's a good workout. I feel stronger in the 5 th day already.

I hope everyone is having a fun relaxing day.... And making some good memories. My son is sitting in his dorm room trying to beat the heat and humidity this weekend. It would of been nice to have him here at the lake, but move in was this weekend. Classes start Tuesday.

I will be heading to our cabin in Sioux Narrows, Ontario... And then back to work in Montreal in a couple of weeks. Thanks already to all of you for the positive vibes and accountability !

Susan, MN
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,313 Member
    Options
    VLJay wrote: »
    Hi Heather, lovely to 'meet' you.
    I'm from Devon, not too far from you!
    Vicki

Hello! Whereabouts in Devon? :flowerforyou:

Heather UK
  • pipcd34
    pipcd34 Posts: 16,648 Member
    Options
    Stat for the day-
    38min 89r 108w 16.6mi 11-15g
    390cal total
  • Poerava14
    Poerava14 Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    Hello fitness pals and Happy Labor Day Weekend to US Residents.

So happy to be home again after 2 solid weeks of traveling back and forth, in and out of western and eastern time zones. Did okay with sleep, food and exercise, but I have this extra roll around my middle which is usually indicative of two things: too much sodium and not enough abdominal exercise.

New York City was hot, vibrant, noisy and wonderful as ever. (Friday night I wanted to go see the US Open, but the tickets were super pricey, so went to the 9/11 Museum instead.) I have a new ‘uber’ boss, and this trip was to get to spend some quality face time with her. Looks like my job will be changing from being a consultant and coach to fundraisers, to doing more actual fundraising. Since I love working directly with generous and joyous givers, I’m looking forward to this.

Just finished my first Isegenix shake. I’ve wanted to try this protein and nutrition powder for years, but never had the nerve to place an order online without having tried it. Yesterday, a lady sitting next to me on the plane gave me one of her packets after we spent well over 2 hours sharing our mutual stories of finding fitness later in life. She reps this product, so if I don’t have a bad reaction to the stevia content, I may place an order. Not much flavor, but sure is filling!

Sending healing thoughts and ((((hugs)))) to all who are injured or taking care of other family members who are ill.
    Katla, if you want to meet up while in Colorado, please message me.

I’m looking for another good health/fitness book to read. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Goals for September are the same as August:
    • Burn 2300 calories per week in the gym
    • Eat mindfully
    • Meditate 3x per week
    • Call someone once a week just to check in

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills
  • grandmallie
    grandmallie Posts: 9,766 Member
    Options
    Afternoon ladies,
    The day has turned out just lovely...Jean and I sat down at the beach for 3 hours and enjoyed each others company..I did walk through the low surffor a mile while I was down there, have gotten my 10,000 steps in already..showered and going to enjoy a cup of lemon ginger tea with dad...Sean has been great today and I took dad down to church earlier.so happy that I have been able to spend quality time with him...went down to the beach early and got some stunning pictures of the sunrise...tomorrow we gave to leave early so will try and get down there again .
  • janemartin02
    janemartin02 Posts: 2,653 Member
    Options
    Happy sun,survived watching 5 kids under 8.Having a good time with Violet.
    hugs jane
  • megblair1
    megblair1 Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Hi all. We are soon to be on our way to Nashville to see my brother and sister in law. No smart phones here so see you when we get back the 16th! Take care, Meg from steamy Omaha!
    17761776 Posts: 1,098 Member
    Options
    Poerava14 wrote: »
    Hello fitness pals and Happy Labor Day Weekend to US Residents.

So happy to be home again after 2 solid weeks of traveling back and forth, in and out of western and eastern time zones. Did okay with sleep, food and exercise, but I have this extra roll around my middle which is usually indicative of two things: too much sodium and not enough abdominal exercise.

New York City was hot, vibrant, noisy and wonderful as ever. (Friday night I wanted to go see the US Open, but the tickets were super pricey, so went to the 9/11 Museum instead.) I have a new ‘uber’ boss, and this trip was to get to spend some quality face time with her. Looks like my job will be changing from being a consultant and coach to fundraisers, to doing more actual fundraising. Since I love working directly with generous and joyous givers, I’m looking forward to this.

Just finished my first Isegenix shake. I’ve wanted to try this protein and nutrition powder for years, but never had the nerve to place an order online without having tried it. Yesterday, a lady sitting next to me on the plane gave me one of her packets after we spent well over 2 hours sharing our mutual stories of finding fitness later in life. She reps this product, so if I don’t have a bad reaction to the stevia content, I may place an order. Not much flavor, but sure is filling!

Sending healing thoughts and ((((hugs)))) to all who are injured or taking care of other family members who are ill.
    Katla, if you want to meet up while in Colorado, please message me.

I’m looking for another good health/fitness book to read. Anyone have a good recommendation?

Goals for September are the same as August:
    • Burn 2300 calories per week in the gym
    • Eat mindfully
    • Meditate 3x per week
    • Call someone once a week just to check in

Stay well. We can do this.
    Rori
    Colorado Foothills

I like "don't diet live it workbook ". N " in the light of the moon".... 2 good books can get at Amazon. Gayle Minneapolis
  • RebelRenny
    RebelRenny Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I am thinking of maybe taking a cruise...maybe on my own sometime next year..will sit and think on that for awhile :) .

Alison - I think that is an awesome idea.

Long weekend here with Labour Day tomorrow. I think it's the same in the States. I am working on some bookkeeping because DH's fiscal year end was August 31. Always a lot of work for me, which I spread over many weekends, because I hold a full time job elsewhere.

Weight is holding steady. Have a great day, ladies. Till next time.
    ♥Renny
  • mollywhippet
    mollywhippet Posts: 1,890 Member
    Options
    Heather, YES on the mulberries! When I was a kid there was a huge mulberry tree between the chicken coop and the outhouse and I spent MANY happy hours climbing that tree, hanging upside down from my knees and stuffing myself with mulberries. My fingers were red most of the summer. We have some mulberry trees here at the lake cabin, but I'm not much of a tree climber these days. The birds love them, though.

It was a beautiful morning here. We went out in the canoe early, before the motor boat people were up. It was glorious! Joyce, I thought about you when we saw dozens of great blue herons. They were very active this morning.

Then we had breakfast and went for a walk all the way around the lake. A little over five miles. Hubby walked with me, which is unusual. It was getting a little hot by the time we got back to the cabin. My clothes were plastered to me with sweat. The shower afterwards felt SO good!

A few minutes ago Spot found something under one of the floor pillows. It was a lizard!!! Oh, how I hate lizards! It was inside the house! It got away and crawled out through a gap in the brick trim under the windows. I told hubby it's time to sell thé cabin now, but he doesn't agree. He thought it was funny! Did I mention that I hate lizards?

Gotta go. It's time to go home. Have a great afternoon.

Sylvia

• Vickil57
    Vickil57 Posts: 1,812 Member
    Options
    Well it is Sunday and I work with the boss today. I have been up most the night trying to figure out a way to talk to her about a problem without me blowing up. Our new lady that just started this last week, she has scheduled for every weekend for the next 6 weeks. None of us work every weekend, it is every other weekend. With this new lady we have enough help to cover every weekend with everyone working every other weekend. The boss is giving herself most weekends off. The old boss and I have both tried talking with the boss about this and she just blows us off. The new lady tried talking to her Friday evening and got no where. So when she comes in this morning I am going to tell her to fix it or Tuesday I will go to our director or HR. I hate to do this, but if this is not fixed the new lady will not stay and I will be back at 50 hours a week. Yesterday I was so upset about this I over ate. Today I am praying for a better day and this to get settled the right way. Thanks for listening. Well she came in and we talked and I admit I would not back down and now she is redoing the schedule so feel better about that. I just do not understand why she will not accecpt help doing it the first time until she learns how to do it.

pip--I agree with Barbie, I think the pain is a way to remind you why you are having the surgery. Sending a gentle hug. Love the color of your nails.

Sue--What a neat idea the basket. I know positive makes people want to go that extra step. Will have to remember that.

Tina--Sorry to hear about your furbaby. It is not easy to watch those we love getting olders. Hugs.

Sharon--Congrates on being mortgage free. Hope you celebrate fun!

Heather--cute clothes, I just love shopping for DGD's clothes, they have so many cute things. I remember mulberries when I was younger. Would pick and eat till we were sick. Great memories.

Meg--Praying for a safe trip.

Sylvia--I would agree about selling, but my DH would be like yours and just laugh.

Well this has been a strange day to say the least. The boss redid the schedule and not said much since. We sit less than four feet about all day. But the schedule is done right and hope that makes us all happy. I know I feel better and know the new lady will stick around. Back to regular hours next month I hope. Enjoy the weekend and hugs for those who need them and know that I keep all of you in my prayers.
    Blessings, Vicki GRAND ISLAND-NE