Low Carb Dieting - Induction Phase

Options

Replies

• mssam66
    mssam66 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I just started LCHF 1 1/2 months ago and I have got off to a rocky start. I lost 10 lbs the first week then my weight slowed down to about 1-2 pounds per week. Well Labor day weekend came and I felt I had gained so much control over my cravings that I could have a treat and get right back on plan without much damage, WRONG!! One treat led to another, and another and before I knew what had hit me I woke up Monday morning sick, bloated, all my aches, pains, cankles and 8lbs had returned.
    Will I be starting over tomorrow? Heck yeah! I had such improvement with a lot of my medical problems and weight loss was just a pleasent side effect. One pound a week is fine with me and I can loose at this rate with 50g of net carbs a day.
    Give it a try, if you can make it past the Keto-Flu, you should notice great fat loss & apetite control.
    Peace & Blessings
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    OP if want to do the low carb that's fine, but do it for the right reason not because it's the fad, everyone is doing it diet. CI/CO still applies no matter what you do. Good luck. :)
  • Train4Foodz
    Train4Foodz Posts: 4,298 Member
    Options
    263.gif

I'm giving this thread a little clean up, if however I have to re-visit this thread in the near future then the cleanup will involve some warnings for guideline violations (this time, I'll simply take it as a heated discussion that's gone too far)!!
    Please keep the thread on topic, if you don't feel able to make a positive contribution to the topic then please move along to a different thread!

With respect,
    Train4Foodz, MyFitnessPal Moderator
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    Hello
    I have been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to restrict my carbs, as they turn into sugar in my body. This has worked for me. I have lost 45 lbs. since last October. Always consult with your doctor, before any diet. Best of luck.

They don't turn into sugar in your body. Sugar is a carb.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    The body needs carbs to function. There are two types of carbs, simple and complex. Simple carbs are known to spike blood glucose levels which overall has a negative impact on you. When eating carbs- it's best to consume unrefined, whole grains as long as you can tolerate that, vegetables and fruits.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    shell1005 wrote: »
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    The body needs carbs to function. There are two types of carbs, simple and complex. Simple carbs are known to spike blood glucose levels which overall has a negative impact on you. When eating carbs- it's best to consume unrefined, whole grains as long as you can tolerate that, vegetables and fruits.

Actually, your body doesn't need carbs to function. Your body and brain needs glucose to function. If it cannot get it by way of carbohydrates then it will break down protein in order to get it.

^^This. This comes up all the time on the boards. You do NOT need to eat any carbs.
  • lyndahh75
    lyndahh75 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    That is a debate that will continue for a while. Some Doctors, mine included, say the brain needs carbs- as do our muscles in order to properly restore after exercise. I mean what does he know? He's only been a Dr. For 35 years.

He also said the type of carb matters. Our body does not need the processed garbage. Eat grains in moderation but get most of the carbs from plants.

Other people believe we can survive without carbs. I don't know if there has been enough research regarding whether or not there are damaging effects long term for people on a no carb/ extreme low carb diet. Time will tell.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    That is a debate that will continue for a while. Some Doctors, mine included, say the brain needs carbs- as do our muscles in order to properly restore after exercise. I mean what does he know? He's only been a Dr. For 35 years.

He also said the type of carb matters. Our body does not need the processed garbage. Eat grains in moderation but get most of the carbs from plants.

Other people believe we can survive without carbs. I don't know if there has been enough research regarding whether or not there are damaging effects long term for people on a no carb/ extreme low carb diet. Time will tell.

The brain needs glucose, not carbs. If carbs are not provided as the source, the body will turn to protein instead. This is where ketosis comes in. It's possible but quite difficult for a lot of people, but actually tends to end up being low-carb or minimal carb, not carb free.
  • umayster
    umayster Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    mssam66 wrote: »
    I just started LCHF 1 1/2 months ago and I have got off to a rocky start. I lost 10 lbs the first week then my weight slowed down to about 1-2 pounds per week. Well Labor day weekend came and I felt I had gained so much control over my cravings that I could have a treat and get right back on plan without much damage, WRONG!! One treat led to another, and another and before I knew what had hit me I woke up Monday morning sick, bloated, all my aches, pains, cankles and 8lbs had returned.
    Will I be starting over tomorrow? Heck yeah! I had such improvement with a lot of my medical problems and weight loss was just a pleasent side effect. One pound a week is fine with me and I can loose at this rate with 50g of net carbs a day.
    Give it a try, if you can make it past the Keto-Flu, you should notice great fat loss & apetite control.
    Peace & Blessings

This is my experience as well. I didn't realize what an awful effect dietary carbohydrates had on me until I felt how good I felt every day all day without them. Failing to maintain my 50g a day limit only reinforced how crappy they make me feel and the obscene cravings that resulted when overdoing carbs explained exactly why I wasn't losing weight with a higher level in my diet.

I remembered yesterday that I used to wake up on a regular basis just aching. Since I decreased carb levels this has not happened once.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    BurnWithBarn2015 Posts: 1,026 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    HELLO!!!! I lost my first 80 lbs doing ATKINS and I can tell you it WORKS!!!!

Here is why, you have to do ALLLLL of the phases, the point of Atkins is to re teach you how to eat healthy, over time you re introduce carbs back into your diet in the forms of fruits, veggies, and whole grains breads.......and ever so slowly the diet becomes a whole foods healthy calorie counting (defecit) diet.

The point is NOT to stay so low carb for ever, but to modify your eating habits for a life time, I stayed on induction for four months to lose a good bulk of my eight.

I now just calorie count.

Good luck!

Every diet works as long as you create a deficit...very simple.

So for me it is high carbs and still lost almost 110 lbs in 11 months
    Fast enough too ;)
    For others it will be low carb. Their choice

But i just say try to eat now how you want to eat when you are at goal weight. Just less :)
    And i plan to keep eating what how i eat now...high carb!

So why make changes? This works too.

• ajmurray1234
    ajmurray1234 Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    HELLO!!!! I lost my first 80 lbs doing ATKINS and I can tell you it WORKS!!!!

Here is why, you have to do ALLLLL of the phases, the point of Atkins is to re teach you how to eat healthy, over time you re introduce carbs back into your diet in the forms of fruits, veggies, and whole grains breads.......and ever so slowly the diet becomes a whole foods healthy calorie counting (defecit) diet.

The point is NOT to stay so low carb for ever, but to modify your eating habits for a life time, I stayed on induction for four months to lose a good bulk of my eight.

I now just calorie count.

Good luck!

Every diet works as long as you create a deficit...very simple.

So for me it is high carbs and still lost almost 110 lbs in 11 months
    Fast enough too ;)
    For others it will be low carb. Their choice

But i just say try to eat now how you want to eat when you are at goal weight. Just less :)
    And i plan to keep eating what how i eat now...high carb!

So why make changes? This works too.

First, congrats on your weight loss. That is pretty awesome. Second, what type of workouts do you do?
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    edited September 2015
    Options
    walking/steps/dancing and swimming

Well and teach/train some pool exercise too. But dont log those calories.
  • BurnWithBarn2015
    Options
    But i lost weight before i started picking up my exercising again.

It started in the kitchen by weighing my food again :)
  • lithezebra
    lithezebra Posts: 3,670 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    mccindy72 wrote: »
    Hello
    I have been diagnosed with diabetes and was told to restrict my carbs, as they turn into sugar in my body. This has worked for me. I have lost 45 lbs. since last October. Always consult with your doctor, before any diet. Best of luck.

They don't turn into sugar in your body. Sugar is a carb.

@eddiemac617 is correct. Carbs such as starch are broken down into usable sugar in your body.

• Venus_Red
    Venus_Red Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    So many other discussions that have gotten this heated get closed. Why not this one?
  • robinpurcell1
    robinpurcell1 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting LCHF. So I need help/advice on where to set my macros for the induction phase. Calorie count as well?

I don't know why I've never tried this before. I love veggies & everything else I've seen in the numerous recipes etc. Hoping to kickstart a significant weight loss. Needing to lose about 70lbs....
  • IsaackGMOON
    IsaackGMOON Posts: 3,358 Member
    Options
    I'm just starting LCHF. So I need help/advice on where to set my macros for the induction phase. Calorie count as well?

I don't know why I've never tried this before. I love veggies & everything else I've seen in the numerous recipes etc. Hoping to kickstart a significant weight loss. Needing to lose about 70lbs....

You have to calorie count to lose weight...

"kickstart".. You either lose weight or you don't.

No need to kickstart with a diet you're not going to bother sustaining.