Thoughts on bananas. ..

Options

Replies

• lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Nothing wrong with 1 or 2 bananas per day, or even more. They are a great source of energy, potassium, and satiety.
  • CharleneMarie_723
    Options
    Love banana and peanut butter. Plain or on bread, depending on meal size requirements.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Apparently the peanut butter and banana sandwich is known as the Skinny Elvis.

The Fat Elvis has bacon.
  • kgb6days
    kgb6days Posts: 880 Member
    Options
    The issue with banana is it's a simple carbohydrate - turns to 'sugar' quickly when digested. Spikes your blood sugar, causes a release of insulin which carries that 'sugar' to be stored as fat so as to lower your blood sugar. Put some peanut butter on it so it will delay that action
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Most people don't have to worry about blood sugar spikes.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »
    The issue with banana is it's a simple carbohydrate - turns to 'sugar' quickly when digested. Spikes your blood sugar, causes a release of insulin which carries that 'sugar' to be stored as fat so as to lower your blood sugar. Put some peanut butter on it so it will delay that action

It can only be stored as fat if there's an excess of calories. That's why everyone is saying "within your calories."
  • Florida_Superstar
    Florida_Superstar Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I love bananas, but I was eating too many. I gained weight because my total caloric intake was too high. I even posted a question about it here and didn't believe everyone when they told me I was eating too much. I swore it was due to sugar or carbs...but it wasn't. It was just too many calories. :-) Now I eat (less) bananas and carbs and lost the weight.
  • PeachyCarol
    PeachyCarol Posts: 8,029 Member
    Options
    kgb6days wrote: »

That's not really how it all works. A blood sugar spike isn't a concern for most individuals, and as for fat storage?

We're burning and storing fat all day. Excess fat is only stored in a caloric surplus. Insulin, sugar... the whole deal? It's only half the metabolic story.

• scolaris
    scolaris Posts: 2,145 Member
    Options
    lyndahh75 wrote: »
    Interesting. If perhaps you eat an entire bunch or you eat more bananas than other food perhaps they would hinder. They have potassium - they aren't BAD. I love to chop bananas into slices- put them in the freezer and when frozen- put them in a blender for faux ice cream. Soo good and far healthier than ice cream, well in my opinion anyway

Me too! I slice them up & weigh them (I pick smaller ones that hover around 4 oz) and then I enjoy a frozen banana 'fauxlato' for dessert. And I keep my sugars under 50 and my carbs between 100-150. Plus, I lose weight. So no problema here.
  • Faithful_Chosen
    Faithful_Chosen Posts: 401 Member
    Options
    Chrisbande wrote: »
    I'm not saying don't eat bananas ever again or any fruit. Just do it in moderation with any other food. A lot of people will misconstrue the idea that eating a lot of fruit a day will help you lose all types of weight, so they replace part or most of there meal with fruits. Don't get me wrong , I love me some fresh fruit but I know to take it easy on them because fruit contains sugars which will tend to make you hungry later on at a quicker rate. If it fits your diet plan, by all means have a banana or two during the week. If not stick to a lower calorie and higher protein snack to keep yourself satisfied. Just my 2¢ BTW my wife eats banana every morning , she cuts it in half gives half to our daughter and uses the other half in her morning oatmeal.

I... what? :confused: Fruit and veggies account for literally 70 to 90 percent of my diet every single day. My sugar intake from natural sugars is most likely sky high. No problems at all--and bananas? Delicious, healthy, and filling! Especially with a little bit of peanut butter on top! Mmmmmm...
  • booksandchocolate12
    booksandchocolate12 Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I thought I had seen the last of the "bananas are evil" propaganda when I left Weight Watchers.
  • SherryTeach
    SherryTeach Posts: 2,836 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a banana as my morning snack nearly every day for three years. In that time I have achieved my goal weight and maintained it.
  • rosebarnalice
    rosebarnalice Posts: 3,488 Member
    Options
    I just flat don't like them. And as an environmentalist, I know how bad they are for tropical soils, so I just don't eat them.
  • senecarr
    senecarr Posts: 5,377 Member
    Options
    Well they are radioactive.
  • aaron_mc29
    aaron_mc29 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I have a banana as an afternoon snack almost every day, down 55lbs so far. Like any foods, fine in moderation and just make sure you log in your diary. Frankly a banana is far more satisfying than packaged foods which might contain a lot more calories!
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    A large banana is not very different from a cupcake in terms of macros. They are very high in carbs/sugar, so they always need to be weighed carefully.

If you are not sensitive to carbs, they are probably just fine. If you are...they are probably a no-go or an occasional treat food.

Personally, I prefer plantains if I am going to stray that far from my goals. I just enjoy them more.

There are tons of foods that have more potassium with fewer carbs and calories if that is what you are after. Try a cup of spinach--only 8 calories!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,009 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Over 100 for a ban
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The Fat Elvis has bacon.

Lol. Never heard of this.
    There's an ice cream parlor-style restaurant on the Vegas Strip (in the hotel Paris I think) that serves a Fat Elvis waffle, topped with peanut butter, bacon, and banana (and whipped cream, I think). SO good.
  • maidentl
    maidentl Posts: 3,203 Member
    Options
    hi135 wrote: »
    Over 100 for a ban
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

The Fat Elvis has bacon.

Lol. Never heard of this.
    There's an ice cream parlor-style restaurant on the Vegas Strip (in the hotel Paris I think) that serves a Fat Elvis waffle, topped with peanut butter, bacon, and banana (and whipped cream, I think). SO good.

When we were there this summer we ate at a waffle place (not on the strip) and I got the Viva Las Elvis which is bananas, peanut butter, chopped bacon and honey on a belgian waffle. It was so good!
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    As long as you aren't trying to sell frozen bananas as an ice cream, I love em.

Plantains make great chips!
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Chrisbande wrote: »
    Bananas should not be eaten to often. They are a higher source of carbs, sugars , and calories. Same go's with most fruits. It sucks because I happen to enjoy bananas.

NOPE

OP, nothing wrong with bananas. All things in moderation.