55-65 year old women's success?

Replies

• DebFromFortWorth
    DebFromFortWorth Posts: 18 Member
    Pizza! OK off track.. I did good, had some wonderful Bar-b-q lean sliced beef & a baked potato with just a little sour cream & chives. I agree it is a lifestyle & I am getting really good at it. I feel like I am getting some energy that I have been lacking for years. Thanks for the support, It does make a big difference..
  • trina1049
    trina1049 Posts: 593 Member
    BelleMax wrote: »
    Thank you @trina1049 for the excellent links. They were very helpful!!!

No problem! Happy to help!
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    Just found the Jenny Ford step videos on you tube. These are great! I needed something new so I dusted off my old step and started yesterday. It's amazing how many great free programs there are out there.

• odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    I've been playing around with the calorie number here on MFP. 1200 is definitely too low. I bumped it up to 1500 and lost 1.5 lbs, so I bumped it again only I went a little too far. I went up to 2400 ( I was in a carb frenzy) and gained 4 tenths of a pound. So now I know where I shouldn't be. Today I'm going to shoot for 1700 and see what happens. It's a learning process. I had been doing total body workout with a trainer but that gets expensive. I stopped going this week and haven't looked at a gym. Time to get back into it. I think I'm going to buy one of those FitBits and breakout the old treadmill :)
  • mk2fit
    mk2fit Posts: 730 Member
    @odirish, MFP bumped me from 1200 to 1540 when I went to maintenance. I continued to lose at a pretty healthy clip. I went to the IIFYM website which suggested something like 1796 so I went with 1800. I am still having a bit of trouble maintaining, but if I stay 1700-2300 I seem to be OK. It IS a learning process, both for losing and maintaining. BTW, I work out only at home. Walking, running and youtube are free and there when you want/need them. Best wishes on your journey.
  • krenwren
    krenwren Posts: 136 Member
    odirish wrote: »
    I had been doing total body workout with a trainer but that gets expensive. I stopped going this week and haven't looked at a gym. Time to get back into it. I think I'm going to buy one of those FitBits and breakout the old treadmill :)
    There are so many great free workouts on line. If you have decent internet, you can stream jessica smith, jenny ford, etc, etc. No need to pay for an expensive gym or trainer. If it helps go for it but there are ways to get fit with out them.
  • I am 59 years old and have lost 54 pounds over about a year and half. I put about 4 pounds on when I changed over to maintenance calories. I too am starting strength training and have worked with a personal trainer for about 2 months. My arm around my elbow starting hurting quite a lot and so I had to back way off and just train my legs for a few weeks. I exercised doing aerobics classes 5 times a week. I also did pilates and yoga. I still continue to do those and have added strength training 3x a week. I am on maintenance now. I log in every day and have continued to log in every day since I reached my goal weight. Logging in every day is key for me. Exercise is very motivating too and it helps me be less hungry. When I sit around and don't exercise, I am much hungrier. I think it is the endorphins(happy chemicals from the brain) that make me feel good so I don't want to overeat. Good Luck to all of you. I've enjoyed reading your stories very much. We can do it even if we're in our 50's 60's or 70's. You just have to want it. And at our age we realize how important our health is if we want to have a quality of life as we get older. Don't sit down as you get older because you will be inviting a whole host of health problems. Also educate yourself and read up on nutrition. It will motivate you to eat healthy.
  • PianoRun wrote: »
    First thing this morning, i logged on to read these posts, and it sets a good tone for the day. Yesterday, I even managed to avoid an unnecessary snack because I thought of you.

Asking for success stories in this age group because we have challenges in common is only one aspect to consider. Observing "gee, it's so hard at this age" (although I hear ya!) --- so many of you are overcoming these obstacles and light the way in sharing your experiences. Usually, I can see lots of before/after pics and success stories of younger women or men, but I need to feel "yeah, that could be me" ! Same as some people request posts on those of the same height. Thanks, again, middlehaitch, for posting your pics -- you look really good and happy, too!

As for me, I've noticed a definite shift in my motivation. Although it is important to look my best, no amount of diet and exercise (or surgery) is going to make me appear younger -- and I don't want to. Now, maintaining health and vitality has moved to the forefront. The type of desperation that can drive younger people to bulimia, anorexia, or removing ribs is not present here. Preserving and building energy is more important. In spirit, I feel free as a girl to do anything I want, no longer hampered by crazy PMS or peri-menopause symptoms. I was even ready to accept myself at a heavier weight, and "enjoy" eating whatever I felt like -- but --- surprise! --- the extra weight gets in the way, and I can't digest that crap the way I used to, so I'm beginning to think eating better definitely has to be a way of life (duh!)

Piano run..I was ready to accept myself, too, and eat whatever I wanted. In fact, I did that for 6 months. I kept exercising, but still picked up 8 pounds. At my 6 month check up, my doc was not happy and wanted to increase my blood pressure meds! Even my perfect cholesterol numbers had risen slightly.

So I get it: if I don't want a bunch of health issues in the next couple of years, I will Never be able to eat whatever I want. I will Always have to log/track my food. I will Always need to exercise, which I love to do anyway. And that's okay with me; it's a small price to pay for good health and mobility in the years to come.

lovesretirement... I couldn't agree with you more! We have a decision to make. Do we want to eat whatever we want and keep gaining weight and gaining all kinds of health problems and have to take more and more medication and have to have more and more surgeries OR do we want to keep track of what we eat, eat mostly healthy foods and feel better and look better and have fewer health problems and have more energy and mobility.
  • deescrafty
    deescrafty Posts: 174 Member
    Transformedbyhim56 you are so right. I was always very active and though overweight I told myself it was genetics. I stayed healthy until in my fifties and then fell apart. Now at 62 my back is very bad, both knees have been replaced and my A1c showed me on the edge of diabetes in July. What a wake-up call! It finally hit me I could get healthy or die younger than I need to. I started logging my food and walking. I've lost 20 lbs and my blood sugar is under control and my blood pressure down. Since this is a lifestyle change I work my favorite foods into my daily calories as I know if I don't I extwon't go the distance. I enjoy exercising next danceand see a physical therapist for strengthing my back and core muscles and stretching exercises. I have about a 100 lbs to lose and this time I know I'll do it no matter how long it takes. I think that's the difference when losing as we get older, because its not to get thinner for the next dance or the next date, it's to make the rest of our lives healthy and enjoyable. Dee, San Diego.

• griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Couldn't agree more; it's not a "diet" and (as I read somewhere), "a process not a project," (which entails an end date). I think that is where most people miss the boat; they think that once the diet is over and they've lost the weight they can go back to old eating habits. The thing to do is like deescrafty says is to incorporate your favorite foods into your eating plan and if you fall off the wagon, get back up and back on. It's a lifestyle. B)
  • odirish
    odirish Posts: 82 Member
    I am definitely out of control on the weekends
  • Bella65233
    Bella65233 Posts: 11 Member
    I'm sorry I didn't answer the question if I had surgery. It was an oversight. I did not.
  • vilmaes
    vilmaes Posts: 13 Member
    I'll be 55 years old in a few weeks and so far I've lost 115 lbs. after a lifelong battle with obesity. It's taken me almost three years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau), but I've finally succeeded. I still have another 30 lbs. to go but I have every confidence I'll get there. My entire life people told me to lose the weight before I hit 50 and reached menopause or it'd be impossible to lose it. They were wrong! So many people have flocked to me who knew me as a 300-lb. woman wanting to know what I did and they tell me I've inspired them. Many urged me to start a blog and I recently created one. If you're interested, I detail my weight-loss journey in my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com"
  • Notreadytoquit
    Notreadytoquit Posts: 231 Member
    @Eleted You are so right about seeing high caloric foods bandied about on the forum. There are certain foods that are contagious and the mere mention in a post or log can set off a spree in my friends' diaries. I log those calories as quick add or don't log at all anymore on the rare occasion I indulge.
  • griffinca2
    griffinca2 Posts: 672 Member
    Congrats on the weight loss; I know it wasn't easy!! I haven't been there but know people who have. Take it one day at a time and if you mess up, dust yourself off and get back on the wagon!! B)
  • vicky1947mfp
    vicky1947mfp Posts: 1,527 Member
    vilmaes wrote: »
    I'll be 55 years old in a few weeks and so far I've lost 115 lbs. after a lifelong battle with obesity. It's taken me almost three years (mostly because I got stuck on a 16-month plateau), but I've finally succeeded. I still have another 30 lbs. to go but I have every confidence I'll get there. My entire life people told me to lose the weight before I hit 50 and reached menopause or it'd be impossible to lose it. They were wrong! So many people have flocked to me who knew me as a 300-lb. woman wanting to know what I did and they tell me I've inspired them. Many urged me to start a blog and I recently created one. If you're interested, I detail my weight-loss journey in my blog: "blossomingvilma.blogspot.com"

Loved your story. So glad for your success with your health as well as your finances.
  • HoganBirdie, What's the big rush? You have the rest of your life to be healthy. What I have learned is the more slowly the weight comes off, the more likely you are to keep eating that way. I lost 54 pounds over a year and a half. Then going on maintenance was much easier and I wasn't feeling so deprived and didn't feel the need to "Cheat". I just try to ask myself. Is what I am about to eat beneficial to my health? If not, then why am I eating it?
    I can eat it if I want to, but if it's not beneficial to my health, I try to find a treat that tastes good AND has a lot of good nutrition.
  • jeanniebeanie59
    jeanniebeanie59 Posts: 141 Member
    odirish wrote: »
    I am definitely out of control on the weekends

my problem also!! Trying to substitute problem foods with healthier options ....popcorn for chips, crystal light Raspberry Lemonade with 1/2 shot of vodka for wine ...smaller portions at dinner , lots more salad !! I like Kens Asian low cal dressing .
  • the truth is that i just started working with an amazing nutritionist, who is helping me make a big push to cut down on carbs. plus, my first grandchild is due in a couple of weeks and i'll be damned if i am going to be a fat, sick old lady watching all of the fun but not able to play because she has to be close to her oxygen tank.

Cathy120861, that's exactly it! My granddaughter was born 12 years ago and that was my impetus to really get with the program. Also, there were two women in my church in their 70s; one could barely move, and the other--well, I couldn't keep up with her on my best day (still can't; she's 90 now and walks 5 miles a day!) I asked myself which one I wanted to be at that age. I'll never be as active as she is, but I'll never give up trying. Now I have the pre-diabetes diagnosis as an added incentive.

Bonniepwest: I love your story of the two women. I have friends who are so overweight and have so many health problems that their lives revolve around all their health issues. I was diagnosed with diabetes 5 years ago. I tried to cut back on carbs and lost about 12 pounds. Then I gained most of that back. Once I retired and got serious using myfitnesspal and reading Never Say Diet by Chantel Hobbs and Made to Crave by Lysa Tuerkerst and the End of Diabetes by Dr. Joel Furhmann, I began to workout 5-6 days a week and used MFP to track my calories, I lost 54 pounds over 18 months. My AIC is now 5.2 and I am no longer even in the pre diabetic range. I take no meds for diabetes and don't need to check my blood sugar anymore. Most doctors don't tell their patients what is possible if they would lose weight and exercise regularly. My doctor was shocked at my results!
  • Littlered2591: I would be interested to know how your blood work turns out as well. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes 5 years ago. I have lost 54 pounds and exercise 5 days a week. I am no longer on any meds for diabetes and my A1C was 5.2 about a month ago at my checkup. My doctor was shocked! She said I am not even pre diabetic. I don't need to check my blood sugar anymore. I probably will once in a great while to see how I am doing. But I know I will have to be diligent for the rest of my life or I can go back to being diabetic again.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!