Confession Time! ((ABSOLUTELY NO JUDGEMENT))

Options

Replies

• bkhamill
    bkhamill Posts: 1,289 Member
    Options
    ythannah wrote: »
    bkhamill wrote: »
    MissKalhan wrote: »
    kelly_c_77 wrote: »
    So here I am in the ER with my 15 yo. I took him to urgent care thinking bronchitis or pneumonia. They gave him a breathing treatment (duoneb and accuneb together, which I think was the problem. He needed one or the other, I think. I don't even think the NP knows she ordered it that way.) and ended up calling EMS to bring him here. Chest xray is clear, so not pneumonia. Blood pressure is coming back down. Tachycardia is over. Waiting for blood test to see what the white blood count is. I trust Dr. Gerlock, the ER doc, but this is nerve wrecking.
    On the plus side, Son2 is complaining about being hungry. Always a good sign.

I'm sorry you went through all that! And glad everything is alright. The mistakes some doctors make are nerve-wracking. When I was 14, I got appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy (not sure about that spelling). The doctor in charge of my case talked us through it and mentioned that there would be three incisions, and their locations, etc.

Fast forward to me coming out of the recovery room, and my mom seeing a completely random taped up fourth incision up near my HEART. Cue total confusion.

My mom: "WHY does she have an incision there?! She was only going in for an appendectomy!"
    Nurse: "Ummm... Maybe they made an incision there on accident?"
    Mom: "ON ACCIDENT?!?!?!?!?!?"

:D

When I had my first child I ended up with an emergency C-section and a couple weeks later when we got the detailed bill in the mail, it had a line that said "Incidental Appendectomy" I asked what that meant and that is when I found out I no longer had my Appendix! They took it out and did not even tell me!!

What in the world?!

I second this. How the heck did they get away with that?!

It was 32 years ago. It was explained to me that if they were in the abdomen for other surgery and could clearly see the appendix they take them out, to prevent issues with it later on. It was a standard procedure, but my issue was that they did not even tell me!

That's alarming!

You'd think they might have mentioned while they were prepping you for the C-section that, oh by the way, while we're in there we'll take out that pesky appendix... or even afterward, as part of the "wound care" spiel.

"Congrats on your new baby! By the way, we may have "incidentally" removed an extra organ or two. You didn't need them anyway."

Hey Susie... I have a random question (which may lead to more) You live in Saudi Arabia right? Do you feel that Americans working there are in any danger of any kind? Is it a safe place to live? (excuse my ignorance - sometime I feel like I live in a cave and do not keep up with current events)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    So here I am in the ER with my 15 yo. I took him to urgent care thinking bronchitis or pneumonia. They gave him a breathing treatment (duoneb and accuneb together, which I think was the problem. He needed one or the other, I think. I don't even think the NP knows she ordered it that way.) and ended up calling EMS to bring him here. Chest xray is clear, so not pneumonia. Blood pressure is coming back down. Tachycardia is over. Waiting for blood test to see what the white blood count is. I trust Dr. Gerlock, the ER doc, but this is nerve wrecking.

Hoping everything will come back normal! Scary that they didn't know they ordered them together. Keep us updated.

*edited to add*

Glad to hear you guys are back at home.

Glad he will be ok, you better not get the bill for the transfer to the ER, since they screwed up. Sounds like you might even have a claim for all the ER visit cost against the Urgent Care clinic. That is a huge mistake they made and could have been much worse.
    Yes, the entire situation was just scary and you don't need hospital billing trying to make it even worse.

I am urgent care billing. And I know the lady over hospital billing. I'll be letting Peggy that her staff messed up. I'll pay for Dr. Gerlock's time and attention. :)
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options

I'm sorry you went through all that! And glad everything is alright. The mistakes some doctors make are nerve-wracking. When I was 14, I got appendicitis and had to have an appendectomy (not sure about that spelling). The doctor in charge of my case talked us through it and mentioned that there would be three incisions, and their locations, etc.

Fast forward to me coming out of the recovery room, and my mom seeing a completely random taped up fourth incision up near my HEART. Cue total confusion.

My mom: "WHY does she have an incision there?! She was only going in for an appendectomy!"

When I had my first child I ended up with an emergency C-section and a couple weeks later when we got the detailed bill in the mail, it had a line that said "Incidental Appendectomy" I asked what that meant and that is when I found out I no longer had my Appendix! They took it out and did not even tell me!!

What in the world?!

It was 32 years ago. It was explained to me that if they were in the abdomen for other surgery and could clearly see the appendix they take them out, to prevent issues with it later on. It was a standard procedure, but my issue was that they did not even tell me!

That's alarming!

You'd think they might have mentioned while they were prepping you for the C-section that, oh by the way, while we're in there we'll take out that pesky appendix... or even afterward, as part of the "wound care" spiel.

Yes! I do not think that sort of thing would go over today. I was young and accepted it, but might have had grounds for a lawsuit (I am not really that type though)

Things like that and an "accidental incision" are why we have the Joint Commission for Accreditation of Health Care Organizations.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    Options
    kecmw25 wrote: »

Hoping everything will come back normal! Scary that they didn't know they ordered them together. Keep us updated.

*edited to add*

The drug cabinets dispense whatever the software says. Newly hired NP tried to change the meds and didn't successfully delete one of them. (said software doesn't have a user friendly reputation) New nurse doesn't have confidence to question a provider and gave what the cabinet dispensed. My kid drew the short straw. Which is good for both of them because except for bronchitis, he's healthy as one of POF's horses and it didn't do any lasting damage. They could have killed someone who had a heart problem.

You are very understanding. I might not be that gracious were I in your situation.

I work there. If something had gone terribly wrong, I would have sued the software vendor. It really is their fault. It really is bad software.
  • marissafit06
    marissafit06 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options

*edited to add*

The drug cabinets dispense whatever the software says. Newly hired NP tried to change the meds and didn't successfully delete one of them. (said software doesn't have a user friendly reputation) New nurse doesn't have confidence to question a provider and gave what the cabinet dispensed. My kid drew the short straw. Which is good for both of them because except for bronchitis, he's healthy as one of POF's horses and it didn't do any lasting damage. They could have killed someone who had a heart problem.

You are very understanding. I might not be that gracious were I in your situation.

This.
  • kecmw25
    kecmw25 Posts: 2,743 Member
    Options

*edited to add*

I work there. If something had gone terribly wrong, I would have sued the software vendor. It really is their fault. It really is bad software.

Understandable :) Glad your son is okay!! It must have been pretty scary.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options
    Update: All three applications have been submitted. Have not yet gotten around to getting my transfer requests signed, but at least now I can't flake forever! (They don't HAVE to be submitted together - just before any actual interviewing can happen)

Also, one of MY team is also putting in a request for a different position! I am being 247% supportive in the hope that karma smiles on me. ;)

Wonderful.
  • nonoelmo
    nonoelmo Posts: 3,941 Member
    Options

Yikes!!!!
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options

EEE that is so weird!!! I'd be a bit freaked out by this if it happened to me :o
  • LBuehrle8
    LBuehrle8 Posts: 4,044 Member
    Options
    This thread is bumping today! :):)
  • bkhamill
    Options
    LBuehrle8 wrote: »
    This thread is bumping today! :):)

Way to bring it to a halt! hehe
  • fatdaduk
    fatdaduk Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    Whenever I start a diet I always do my first weigh-in when I am ready to use the loo and then my next weigh in (the next week) just after I have been to the loo and removed as much 'weight' as possible. Well liquid and other stuff is heavy!!! This way my first week is usually a good loss.

BTW I didn't do that this time.
  • peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Your afternoon smile:

SpiderMable, crime-fighting six-year-old, saves local NHL team captain. It's the cutest story about a Children's Wish Foundation thing that happened in my city yesterday where they organized a huge event to let her be like Spiderman. It was the cutest thing and she's going to drop the puck at the hockey game tonight. I'm going so I'm excited to see her, I followed the news all day yesterday about her day. They had everyone from the mayor to the police involved.

(ETA: and if you watch the video, note our hot mayor, lol.)
  • bkhamill
    edited September 2015
    Options
    Hey all, I have signed up to run the Susan G. Komen race for the cure. This is a fundraising effort that I feel passionate about as I have had many amazing women close to me who have been affected by breast cancer. If any of you would like to donate to my fundraising efforts I will greatly appreciate it.
    http://austin.info-komen.org/site/TR/RacefortheCure/AUS_AustinAffiliate?px=19198613&pg=personal&fr_id=5855
  • Oberon21
    Oberon21 Posts: 13,235 Member
    Options

What in the world?!

That's alarming!

"Congrats on your new baby! By the way, we may have "incidentally" removed an extra organ or two. You didn't need them anyway."

Hey Susie... I have a random question (which may lead to more) You live in Saudi Arabia right? Do you feel that Americans working there are in any danger of any kind? Is it a safe place to live? (excuse my ignorance - sometime I feel like I live in a cave and do not keep up with current events)

She advised me when I said that I would visit her there that it was extremely dangerous for Americans and that I might not make it out alive. So we revised the plan to Oman. I am guessing if you are thinking of moving there you might want to rethink that.
  • bkhamill
    Options
    pofoster21 wrote: »

What in the world?!

That's alarming!

She advised me when I said that I would visit her there that it was extremely dangerous for Americans and that I might not make it out alive. So we revised the plan to Oman. I am guessing if you are thinking of moving there you might want to rethink that.

A very dear friend is moving there for a 3 year commitment for a job (her husbands) and I am very worried about her. She is a very independent young American woman.
  • zkhanman
    zkhanman Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    I absolutely can not kick my diet rockstar addiction. I am down from 2 a day to just one but... I love those damn things.
  • TigerNY128
    TigerNY128 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    There seem to be a few of us that lift on here...I'm thinking of starting a lifting thread in the batcave so we can share tips, goals, accomplishments, stories...anyone interested in that??
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    TigerNY128 wrote: »
    There seem to be a few of us that lift on here...I'm thinking of starting a lifting thread in the batcave so we can share tips, goals, accomplishments, stories...anyone interested in that??

Yes!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    zkhanman wrote: »
    I absolutely can not kick my diet rockstar addiction. I am down from 2 a day to just one but... I love those damn things.

I have a Monster Ultra Zero every day. I don't see an issue...