Options

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    senecarr wrote: »
    senecarr wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

That's not the carbs, it's the food those carbs are in.

Fiber is a carb. And I think you'd be hard pressed to find a dietician or nutrition scientist that would not agree they are better for us than most other carbs.

(disclaimer: "us" refers to the general public and not to someone that is starving or malnourished)
    You might want to add a disclaimer against the example of people eating 200g+ of fiber. At some point there's going to be an issue.

At some point there will be an issue with eating too much of anything. If someone doesn't know that they are probably beyond the help a simple disclaimer can provide.

Well I'm not hiring you to write my legal disclaimers.

A wise move. They'd probably read something like the flight instructions in Tommy Boy.
  • JeffBrown3
    JeffBrown3 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't any worse for you than protein or fats. I personally only eat complex carbs when possible. I do eat plain russet potatoes in soups etc. And omg I love those ranch Veggie Straws. Not sure why they call them Veggie anything, they are glorified potato chips (marketing gimmick). But they are good!
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Gina2xoxo wrote: »
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you.
    Can you tell me how the 0% fat Greek yogurt I eat is not good for me? Or the Optimum Nutrition protein powder I often put in it?

I said the opposite; Greek yogurt is much better. Read the labels and check the ingredients--too many ingredients I would nix it and keep looking. I don't know what is in Optimum protein powder. Again, if I wanted to add protein powder to my diet I would look for one with the least added ingredients. Any added aspartame I would nix that food. If either of them had added fructose I would nix them. That is me. Do what you want.

• DeguelloTex
    DeguelloTex Posts: 6,652 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Good vs Evil---meh, I don't know. Here is what I believe and I am a little surprised it didn't come up in these 4 pages. Processed foods are not good for you. No matter how easy they are, no matter how tasty they are, processed foods have junk added to them that aren't meant to be good for you.
    Can you tell me how the 0% fat Greek yogurt I eat is not good for me? Or the Optimum Nutrition protein powder I often put in it?

I said the opposite; Greek yogurt is much better. Read the labels and check the ingredients--too many ingredients I would nix it and keep looking. I don't know what is in Optimum protein powder. Again, if I wanted to add protein powder to my diet I would look for one with the least added ingredients. Any added aspartame I would nix that food. If either of them had added fructose I would nix them. That is me. Do what you want.
    So does Fage harvest the fruit of the yogurt tree or the flesh of the yogurt beast in order to produce their yogurt? Can you provide a coherent definition of Processed foods that excludes how yogurt is actually produced?

(Leaving aside the questionable logic of whether the number of ingredients is a useful metric.)
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    BarneyRubbleMD Posts: 1,092 Member
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »
    i ate 72 percent of my 988 calories today in carbohydrates. im not hungry. i don't feel groggy or weighed down.

The problem here isn't your carb intake as you don't seem to have any issues which will impact on adherence - the ability to stick to your preferred diet.

The issue is whether your diet is capable of delivering sufficient energy and nutrients (both macro and micro) which I feel is unlikely given your current intake. I would strongly recommend you take a moment to consider if your current set up is actually suitable. If you would like some assistance in this regard please feel free to ask.

This^

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

What makes greek yogurt less processed than regular yogurt? You aren't going to get either directly from a teet.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options

What makes greek yogurt less processed than regular yogurt? You aren't going to get either directly from a teet.

And if it's 0% fat even more processing is involved.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    _John_ wrote: »
    Carbs are very important because most of the natural foods with carbs have most of your micronutrition.

Citation for this? Most of your micro nutrition?

I eat tons of plants, but would like to see where the "most" comes from.

Where do you think most would come from? Meat? I have heard of a small short term study where people lived off meat only, but they had to eat some of it raw to get adequate nutrition.

But it seems like most, though certainly not all, would come from vegetables and fruits for the average person.

and fish, nuts and seeds, and yes, meat.

Again, I'm a huge plant eater. Primarily vegetables, not much fruit, not many grains. I just want to know what he's referring to. And where grains fit that equation. And what micro nutrients are being referred to? The small minority tracked here?
  • Gina2xoxo
    Gina2xoxo Posts: 27 Member
    Options

Remember that I said plain greek yogurt--greek yogurt is strained more to get remove more of the whey, lactose, and sugar. It can have double the protein and 1/2 the sugar (read the label).

I didn't want it to be true but I looked at the labels and I have found greek yogurt to be much better.

• Need2Exerc1se
    Options

Remember that I said plain greek yogurt--greek yogurt is strained more to get remove more of the whey, lactose, and sugar. It can have double the protein and 1/2 the sugar (read the label).

I didn't want it to be true but I looked at the labels and I have found greek yogurt to be much better.

Straining is a process. I'm not sure you really understand what you are saying. I'm certain I don't.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    I guess... I'm just tired of hearing that carbs are evil. We know they aren't. They just aren't particularly good for some people.

Agreed. And some are much better for us than others. Some are nutrient dense, high in fiber, some are not.

Sure, but this is why all the generalizing about "carbs" being bad for people drives me crazy.

Most of the high carb foods that are high cal/low nutrient and overeaten commonly have lots of fat too, although there are exceptions. So the focus on carbs being the problem is so tiresome.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    I used to see them as evil but that was when I ate them in large amounts and had no control. Now I try and include them in my diet but in smaller portions, to stay within my calorie goal. We now have a good relationship

same here.
  • lemurcat12
    Options

That's not the carbs, it's the food those carbs are in.

Fiber is a carb.

Depends on where you are.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »

Sure, but this is why all the generalizing about "carbs" being bad for people drives me crazy.

Most of the high carb foods that are high cal/low nutrient and overeaten commonly have lots of fat too, although there are exceptions. So the focus on carbs being the problem is so tiresome.

Most? Certainly a lot, but breads and pasta and the plethora of low-fat dairy and dessert products are pretty commonly overeaten and have little fat.
  • juggernaut1974
    juggernaut1974 Posts: 6,212 Member
    Options

That's not the question though.

The question is how in the world do you define greek yogurt (or any yogurt for that matter) "unprocessed".
  • sarahlifts
    sarahlifts Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Carbs aren't bad. I do however limit my carbs, just as I limit my fat and protien and calories. When I have over 150 g I stay hungry and I retain water. Carbs aren't bad. You need carbs for basic bodily function.
  • BarneyRubbleMD
    Options
    If anyone else is like me, I have type 2 diabetes so Carbs are bad for me as they turn to sugar and then plant themselves around my waist. I also eat 180 g of carbs a day in 3 45 g meals and 3 15g snacks by Doctors instruction and since i changed to this way of eating i am full i have more energy than i know what to ddo with and i lost 16lbs in 2 weeks

Yep, same here. I also have type 2 diabetes (insulin dependent) and have to watch the carbs I eat very carefully, especially the "type" of carbs I eat (i.e. from bread or anything made with flour or things made with sugar or corn syrup) or my post-meal(2-hour) blood sugar skyrockets.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options

Sure, and I'd like folks to be more precise as well (about "good carbs"), but I don't see that happening any time soon. Folks LIKE to argue and be obtuse.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2015
    Options

Most? Certainly a lot, but breads and pasta and the plethora of low-fat dairy and dessert products are pretty commonly overeaten and have little fat.

I doubt skim milk, skim cottage cheese or yogurt are overeaten that much -- maybe the flavored yogurts that are basically desserts. (Also I wouldn't call low fat/skim dairy low nutrient/high cal.) Pasta is typically overeaten with a sauce that contains fat (often the problem with restaurant pasta is LOTS of fat, cheese, etc.). And if you have a sauce made primarily of tomatoes or other vegetables, lean meat, again, not low nutrient/high cal. Bread, similarly, is likely overeaten with butter or olive oil frequently, or in a sandwich with mayo.

But mostly I was thinking of stuff like desserts (ice cream, baked goods, packaged stuff) or chips or fries or fast food in general. Most of the "junk food" category is carbs & fat (and often salt), but for sugary drinks and I guess some kinds of candy.
  • lemurcat12
    edited October 2015
    Options

Sure, and I'd like folks to be more precise as well (about "good carbs"), but I don't see that happening any time soon. Folks LIKE to argue and be obtuse.

I don't see people as being imprecise. I see a basic disagreement. Some people (not you, I assume), are saying that carbs in general (including those with lots of micronutrients) are bad for them and bad in general (or risky) for some high percentage of the population.

I'm with those who say that most people get the majority of their micros from carbs (or should!) and that eating more plant foods is probably better for health overall.

Edit: I also think of fiber as a carb, although I recognize it may not be labeled as such in other countries.