I'm a geek: I read 2 atkins books this week.

Options

Replies

• echmainfit619
    echmainfit619 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    Nearly all these books are trash. Just read The Martian. At least that book knows it is fiction from the start.
  • CooCooPuff
    CooCooPuff Posts: 4,374 Member
    Options
    Diet Cults was a very good book.
    I currently have Mindless Eating downloaded into my Nook for later reading. I enjoyed listening to Brian Wansink on the Sigma Nutriton podcast.
  • Azuriaz
    Azuriaz Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    LOL You can go back even further if you like. Here is the Letter on Corpulence by William Banting (1869).
    http://www.citigraphics.net/citigrafx/stories/food/Banting Book.PDF

I've read that!!! It was great fun to read!

Going back even further than Banting:

Brillat-Savarin The physiology of Taste
    First published in France in 1825

" 'Oh Heavens!' all you readers of both sexes will cry out, 'oh Heavens above! But what a wretch the Professor is! Here in a single word he forbids us everything we must love, those little white rolls from Limet, and Achard's cakes and those cookies, and a hundred things made with flour and butter, with flour and sugar, with flour and sugar and eggs!"

He doesn't even leave us potatoes or macaroni! Who would have thought this of a lover of good food who seemed so pleasant?

" 'What's this I hear?' I exclaim, putting on my severest face, which I do perhaps once a year. 'Very well then; eat! Get fat! Become ugly and thick, and asthmatic, finally die in your own melted grease.'"
  • maplehouse200
    maplehouse200 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Nearly all these books are trash. Just read The Martian. At least that book knows it is fiction from the start.

So you have read them all.
    That's great, as I guess stating, 'nearly all these books are trash' without having read them would be construed as commenting from a position of ignorance and only an fool would do that.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    lemurcat12 wrote: »
    I'm good either way. Just wanted to stress the importance of reading the original source, because MAN is atkins NOT what it's made out to be. :-) (which I suspected, of course)

Most people I see going on about bacon on low carb diets are, well, low carbers.

Having done paleo briefly, I know there's a backlash in the paleo world about how bacon is promoted by many as a healthy thing in paleo-land, and I'm not surprised there's such in low carb-ville, nor that it wasn't part of the original Atkins plan (in fact I knew that, since I recall when Atkins was big in the early '00s, just before the South Beach craze).

But here's a pretty good discussion between Taubes and another science writer that shows that Taubes does, in fact, promote a more stereotypical low carb diet (as do lots of low carbers I know, as I mentioned): http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/2981

I mentioned doing a low carb experiment (for menopause) in a group recently and was told I was going to be eating only protein and ruining my kidneys.
    I see plenty of threads on here where non-low carbers say Atkins is all about meat.
    And bacon in particular. There are actually cautions about meats like bacon in the Atkins materials.

REGARDLESS, it's not. It talks more about nutrient dense vegetables than many other books I've read.
    And perhaps low carb, or controlled carbohydrate diets wouldn't seem like such an unsustainable thing if they were understood.
    Yes, there's fruit, sometimes there's even, gasp, bread!

In a way, Atkins seems like "fischer price my first low carb diet" and THAT'S OKAY! It's better to learn than make stupid decisions. (I feel that way about many formal diets: learn the diet you're going to follow).

Taubes: an entertaining journalist who, like most journalists, sometimes gets it right, and sometimes gets it wrong.
    I assume Pollan gets it wrong sometimes too, but he's not quite the ideologue Taubes is.

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

You've read them? Great, let's discuss them.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Azuriaz wrote: »
    LOL You can go back even further if you like. Here is the Letter on Corpulence by William Banting (1869).
    http://www.citigraphics.net/citigrafx/stories/food/Banting Book.PDF

I've read that!!! It was great fun to read!

Going back even further than Banting:

Brillat-Savarin The physiology of Taste
    First published in France in 1825

" 'Oh Heavens!' all you readers of both sexes will cry out, 'oh Heavens above! But what a wretch the Professor is! Here in a single word he forbids us everything we must love, those little white rolls from Limet, and Achard's cakes and those cookies, and a hundred things made with flour and butter, with flour and sugar, with flour and sugar and eggs!"

He doesn't even leave us potatoes or macaroni! Who would have thought this of a lover of good food who seemed so pleasant?

" 'What's this I hear?' I exclaim, putting on my severest face, which I do perhaps once a year. 'Very well then; eat! Get fat! Become ugly and thick, and asthmatic, finally die in your own melted grease.'"

Fun quote!
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Another one I read, a while back, was the power of habit. Good stuff.

Excellent book.

I also like Brian Wansink for health and fitness stuff. Liked Sugar Salt Fat and am reading Yoni Freedhoff's Diet Fix (I read diet books although I think they are largely pointless, who knows why). And as always I recommend Matt Fitzgerald's Diet Cults. I also found Rich Roll's book kind of inspirational, although we have very different approaches (and I don't see myself doing some of the athletic feats he has).

Fun genre fiction I've read recently (not great lit, but I enjoyed them): Pretty Is and The Girl With All the Gifts.

I should put sugar salt fat on my list.
    Diet Cults is on my list.
    And I just bought The Big Fat Surprise.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »
    I miss being able to read a book. The consequences of glaucoma/cataracts.

Most of mine are audiobooks, some from the library, some from audible.com.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Debmal77 wrote: »
    This Is Why You're Fat (And How to Get Thin Forever) by Jackie Warner. This was the last diet book I read about 3 years ago. Interesting read.

I'd never heard of this one, but it gets great reviews on amazon.
  • Patttience
    Patttience Posts: 975 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    A lot of low carbers i've come across don't seem to read any book. Atkins was the one i read first when i was doing my experiment with low carbing. Atkins was very readable. A good salesman.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Patttience wrote: »
    A lot of low carbers i read don't seem to read any book. Atkins was the one i read first when i was doing my experiment with low carbing. Atkins was very readable. A good salesman.

A lot of dieters following specific diets don't seem to read the source materials for the approach they are using. It's not unique to low carb. The same for folks following specific workout routines like SL and NRoWL. Most folks have never seen the source materials.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I'm good either way. Just wanted to stress the importance of reading the original source, because MAN is atkins NOT what it's made out to be. :-) (which I suspected, of course)

Most people I see going on about bacon on low carb diets are, well, low carbers.

Having done paleo briefly, I know there's a backlash in the paleo world about how bacon is promoted by many as a healthy thing in paleo-land, and I'm not surprised there's such in low carb-ville, nor that it wasn't part of the original Atkins plan (in fact I knew that, since I recall when Atkins was big in the early '00s, just before the South Beach craze).

But here's a pretty good discussion between Taubes and another science writer that shows that Taubes does, in fact, promote a more stereotypical low carb diet (as do lots of low carbers I know, as I mentioned): http://bloggingheads.tv/videos/2981

I'm afraid I brought up bacon in this thread but I honestly am reading cookbooks on bacon.... But largely for my hubby. I have bacon a couple of days a week whereas he has it everyday even though he is not low carb. He loves bacon, and I figured if I could work bacon into more veggie dishes, he might actually eat veggies with me.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options

I'm afraid I brought up bacon in this thread but I honestly am reading cookbooks on bacon.... But largely for my hubby. I have bacon a couple of days a week whereas he has it everyday even though he is not low carb. He loves bacon, and I figured if I could work bacon into more veggie dishes, he might actually eat veggies with me.

I think most folks love bacon.
  • mccindy72
    mccindy72 Posts: 7,001 Member
    Options

I think most folks love bacon.

Meh.
  • CrazyMermaid1
    CrazyMermaid1 Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I just finished The Roadmap to 100: The Breakthrough Science of Living a Long and Healthy Life. Emphasis on exercise and nutrition. Good read
  • _Terrapin_
    _Terrapin_ Posts: 4,301 Member
    Options
    The Great Cholesterol Myth. . .still reading. Recipes in the back remind me of Caldwell Esselsytn's book on reversing heart disease. Some of the recipes titles in the cholesterol book are funny...Super-Energizing Baked Beans, Zesty Digestive Herb and Cheddar Breakfast Muffins. . . .
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options

I mentioned doing a low carb experiment (for menopause) in a group recently and was told I was going to be eating only protein and ruining my kidneys.
    I see plenty of threads on here where non-low carbers say Atkins is all about meat.

I don't. I see keto people who do eat basically meat, though, and they talk about how carbs are not necessary at all (as if that was a reason to avoid them) and have discussed how the low carb group did a carnivorous challenge. Seemed weird to me, as the low carb people I've known off line (Atkins types or paleoish low carb) have been all about meat + vegetables. (They all tend to talk up bacon as one reason their diets are great, though.)
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Have you read the gut balance revolution? It was a choice between this the whole 30 or the exclusion diet (I forget the name but you took out food groups to find what foods make you ill) anso the adrenal diet looked interesting with a type of carb cycling.

I really liked the primal blueprint. I had been doing chris powell choose more lose more (carb cycling) and I had the okinawa program the spectrum diet and quite a few others ive collected but not quite reafd yet.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

I don't. I see keto people who do eat basically meat, though, and they talk about how carbs are not necessary at all (as if that was a reason to avoid them) and have discussed how the low carb group did a carnivorous challenge. Seemed weird to me, as the low carb people I've known off line (Atkins types or paleoish low carb) have been all about meat + vegetables. (They all tend to talk up bacon as one reason their diets are great, though.)

I think most diet groups will discuss the positives of the diets. We low carbers appreciate our cheese, bacon, meats and creams. Sort of like how many who subscribe to moderation bring up the ice cream, chips, and cookies they eat.

We might as well enjoy the good stuff that works for us.

And, as a low carber, I tend to agree that carbs are not needed. Technically, if you eat healthy meats, fats, and eggs, and maybe dairy, they aren't needed. I tend to avoid them (ie. restrict them) because they mess with my blood glucose, and I prefer the taste of a snack of cheese over a snack of veggies. (I do still eat veggies though, and more than some of my higher carb family members.) Personal taste.