HALP! Heavy Lifting Made Me SUPAH Bulky!!!

Options

Replies

• ngaliyin
    ngaliyin Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    ngaliyin wrote: »
    Heavy lifting ladies, please help.

I lost about 25lbs or so on a deficit eating at 1500 calories using MFP settings and doing Ice Cream Fitness 5x5. Loss was set at 2lbs p week.

I had sx and took 6 months to recover and maintained that loss. I came back to lifting and started gaining weight instead of losing.

When I first started gaining weight while lifting heavy, I was eating between 1200 to 1500 calories. I was advised on the forums here on MFP to increase my calories because I wasn't eating enough.

I have been eating between 1500 and 1700 calories p day, lifting 4 days p week and have gained about 6 to 8lbs in the past 5 weeks.

Anyway, today I've increased my calories to eat between 1700 to 1900 calories per day and hope to track the next couple of weeks to see if anything changes to my liking.

Has anyone succeeded in eating more,(still at deficit), lifting heavy (no extra cardio) and losing weight?

When you calculate your TDEE using the online calculators do you set your activity level to lightly active or moderate for lifting 4 days per week?

I'm 43, 5'8 and today weighed in at 184.4lbs - yikes! I want to get down to 140lbs.

I do weigh my food.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Thank you.

I'm SOOOOOOOOOO happy - I've been doing a happy dance all morning!!!! LOL :smiley::smiley::smiley:

For the first time in a while, my scale moved in the direction of my desire, this morning!!!!!

Why?

Yesterday I ate 1863 calories - the highest amount I've eaten in a while and I believe my body loved it.

I went down 1.2lbs - yaaaay!!!!!!!!!

I know it's only been a day, but I'm celebrating anyway.

I may have found the happy medium between my TDEE (2423 per Scooby Body Building calculator) and my BMR (1563)

I do count my calories, I do have a 40% carbs, 30% fat, 30% protein split in MFP and I lift 4 days p week (ICF 5x5 x 3 days plus 1 day with fitness trainer)

My body needed MORE food - Hurrayyyyyyyyy!!!!

Thank you all - I shall update again in a couple of weeks :smiley::smiley::smiley:
  • angelexperiment
    angelexperiment Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I love this thread
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    Options
    fanncy0626 wrote: »
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Ngaliyin You are probably building muscle due to 6 months off and retaining water. I gained weight for 3 months but lost 24 inches. Have you loss any inches?

Ah sorry but you don't build muscle on 1200-1500 calories a day typically...esp a woman. It takes surplus of calories and a progressive load lifting calories to do that or recomp where you eat at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program and burn fat while build small amounts of muscle...and women have a hard time building muscle due to our low testosterone...

There are other times when there are noob gains but those are short lived as well as someone who is obese new to lifting who will build muscle

If the poster is gaining it's probably due to incorrect logging or water weight.

Not true! If she is lifting she is injuring muscle and muscle repair is taking place. Therefore, muscle repair and water retention happens. Muscle can be built even at 1200 cal. If you really want to build muscle and strength it is highly suggested to eat protein because protein is the major building block of all cells. The higher calorie count of 1400 to 1700 cal with 80% of her bodyweight being protein in grams would be recommended.

You cannot build muscle at 1200 calories. The energy needed simply isn't there. That's why people do bulk and cut cycles. You can strengthen your existing muscles, but you can't build new mass.

I don't know where you got your PH.D. From. But you are wrong! Look it up on the Internet!

Low 1200 is not recommended but muscle tissue can still be built!

Here is a quote from The Muscle Program . com
    The 1200 calorie meal plan-

As with any extreme calories restricted diet you may notice a loss in strength if you’re heavy into strength training. Likewise, if you’re just starting out with strength training, which you should be if you’re not, the high protein content should allow you to build muscle and get stronger. But your goal on the 1200 calorie diet is not to gain muscle or strength, it’s to lose as much body fat and excess weight as possible.

I'm a Life Science teacher, licensed coach, with a Masters in Education... Plus several other licenses. I taught cell, muscle, human anatomy for 20 years.
  • fanncy0626
    fanncy0626 Posts: 7,118 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Another quote from lean gains-

Mobile-friendly - May 23, 2015 - Then I see others who say that yes, you can build muscle tissue so long as you don't cut too much (below 1200 calories I believe) and/or have a high enough BF %. The idea here is that ...

There are several muscle building diet plans out there for 1200 calories. Clean eating with high protein.

I also said I recommend 1400 to 1700 if you want to lose fat and build muscle!

Look them up on the internet!
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Ngaliyin You are probably building muscle due to 6 months off and retaining water. I gained weight for 3 months but lost 24 inches. Have you loss any inches?

Ah sorry but you don't build muscle on 1200-1500 calories a day typically...esp a woman. It takes surplus of calories and a progressive load lifting calories to do that or recomp where you eat at maintenance and do a progressive load lifting program and burn fat while build small amounts of muscle...and women have a hard time building muscle due to our low testosterone...

There are other times when there are noob gains but those are short lived as well as someone who is obese new to lifting who will build muscle

If the poster is gaining it's probably due to incorrect logging or water weight.

Not true! If she is lifting she is injuring muscle and muscle repair is taking place. Therefore, muscle repair and water retention happens. Muscle can be built even at 1200 cal. If you really want to build muscle and strength it is highly suggested to eat protein because protein is the major building block of all cells. The higher calorie count of 1400 to 1700 cal with 80% of her bodyweight being protein in grams would be recommended.

You cannot build muscle at 1200 calories. The energy needed simply isn't there. That's why people do bulk and cut cycles. You can strengthen your existing muscles, but you can't build new mass.

I don't know where you got your PH.D. From. But you are wrong! Look it up on the Internet!

As with any extreme calories restricted diet you may notice a loss in strength if you’re heavy into strength training. Likewise, if you’re just starting out with strength training, which you should be if you’re not, the high protein content should allow you to build muscle and get stronger. But your goal on the 1200 calorie diet is not to gain muscle or strength, it’s to lose as much body fat and excess weight as possible.

I'm a Life Science teacher, licensed coach, with a Masters in Education... Plus several other licenses. I taught cell, muscle, human anatomy for 20 years.

Yes and because you saw it on the internet it's true...that site is selling stuff. Touting any form of education and spouting things like you can build muscle on 1200 calories a day really don't go together....you are wrong on the 1200 calories a day building muscle unless that is a surplus.

here is a link for you to read from Washington U not some sales site

http://staff.washington.edu/griffin/muscle_growth.txt

I am going to stop derailing this thread and hope you do as well.
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    I have read all 54 pages over the last few days, you ladies are incredibly inspiring!

I have been looking into buying a barbell to do SL at home, any recommendations? I've been doing what I can for a couple weeks with 20 lb Dumbbells while keeping an eye on Craigslist, but nothing good locally yet. I'll be sharing equipment with hubby. Thanks!
  • ShrinkinMel
    ShrinkinMel Posts: 982 Member
    Options
    andreae13 wrote: »
    LOVE that more and more women are starting to realize the benefits to lifting heavy and move past the myth!! I absolutely love being strong!!

Here are my pics (lifting pic was taken about 3 months ago so I've gotten a little bit more definition since then but you get the idea). Still not at goal but getting there :wink:

Before 323lbs
    9e0b5ef0-2295-4a91-8440-2cc0dd4c0b9e_zps3546232b.jpg

Current 183lbs
    Gym12-1-13_zps75a2d729.jpg

Awesome. So inspirational. Your arms give me hope that I might not have these flappy arms.
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    I love this thread
  • chrysalis2015
    chrysalis2015 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    stapark wrote: »
    I have read all 54 pages over the last few days, you ladies are incredibly inspiring!

I have been looking into buying a barbell to do SL at home, any recommendations? I've been doing what I can for a couple weeks with 20 lb Dumbbells while keeping an eye on Craigslist, but nothing good locally yet. I'll be sharing equipment with hubby. Thanks!

Check Target...for some reason sometimes they just really drop the prices on dumbbells...just have to keep an eye out.

Also see if you have a Play It Again Sports near you - used equipment can be a nice way to go :smile:
  • stapark
    stapark Posts: 35 Member
    Options

Check Target...for some reason sometimes they just really drop the prices on dumbbells...just have to keep an eye out.

Also see if you have a Play It Again Sports near you - used equipment can be a nice way to go :smile:

Thanks, I never think of Play it Again Sports because there isn't one close by. I think I'll look up where the closest one is!
  • alias1001
    alias1001 Posts: 634 Member
    edited October 2015
    Options
    Loved this thread--helped me to decide to take up weight training. I do body weight strength training, though, because a) I'm too lazy to join a gym, and b) I didn't want to buy any equipment. (I highly recommend You Are Your Own Gym, trainer's laid back and the routines are progressive)

Haven't turned back since. Best shape of my life. :)
  • Liftng4Lis
    Liftng4Lis Posts: 15,150 Member
    Options
    Awesomeness in the making!
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options

It's hard for me to do leg day on 1200 cals. But if it works for you, keep going.
  • getitamb
    getitamb Posts: 2,019 Member
    Options
    So I don't have anything incredible like most of the ladies on here...but I do have some pictures.

This was me at a friend's wedding a few years ago.

ab9b4ff3-2ad8-4897-affc-c4b7f7279ca7.jpg

The dress is a 22W and I was about that size just prior to having abdominal surgery (scar tissue/adhesion removal, gallbladder removal, left ovary removal) July 6th of this year. I had to wait for surgical clearance to lift again so that took a few weeks.

This was a full body pic I took a couple of weeks ago, so probably about a good 2 months of "heavy lifting" with only elliptical as cardio (I have to do some because, frankly, it feels good on my joints to do about 20 min prior to lifting. I can't lift cold)...I do some occasional ballet at home, but I don't consider that cardio.

5ebeb07f-5776-46da-9d5c-e13180cdd05a.jpg

That outfit is a size 16 from the "regular" section.

This is a head shot I took last week...the "moon face" is disappearing :smiley:

5fc579c7-5a4b-42bf-8c2f-e0dd53d2b89b.jpg

Nice job!!
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    DawnEmbers wrote: »
    Working weights? I'm doing PHUL right now so on the power days I am at 95 for bench press, 175 for squats, 190 for deadlift, 95 for rows and 70 for overhead press. My max deadlift is 205 for 3 reps and I'm hoping to get that to 225 in the future along with bumping squat up to 185.

I started stronglifts back beginning of November with just the bar on most of the lifts, dropped lower for overhead press cause that lift is challenging, and took a little time to learn deadlift before moving up as I couldn't start with the 135 recommended amount.

Oh and my body weight currently is 140.

Yay for PHUL! I did it in maintenance and am going to back to it for a bulk this year. Love getting my powerlifting fix in early in the week.
  • Syneea
    Syneea Posts: 451 Member
    Options
    Question: I'm a beginner (well, WILL BE) with heavy lifting; tomorrow will actually be my first day.. I have been strength training using my body weight and I'm DEF burning fat and thus uncovering muscle Or actually building a little muscle.. Anyway I would LOVE to get BULKY on the Bottom and continue to burn fat and build lean muscle ON TOP... I'm leaner than I'd like to be on the bottom and Want to be thicker...Lower body is always the first to go for my rectangular build... Any tips? Advice on the best routine?? I'm looking at starting SL tmr... Please help. Thanks :)
  • SunflowerSandra
    SunflowerSandra Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Syneea wrote: »
    Question: I'm a beginner (well, WILL BE) with heavy lifting; tomorrow will actually be my first day.. I have been strength training using my body weight and I'm DEF burning fat and thus uncovering muscle Or actually building a little muscle.. Anyway I would LOVE to get BULKY on the Bottom and continue to burn fat and build lean muscle ON TOP... I'm leaner than I'd like to be on the bottom and Want to be thicker...Lower body is always the first to go for my rectangular build... Any tips? Advice on the best routine?? I'm looking at starting SL tmr... Please help. Thanks :)

SL seems to be the go to for everyone. If you want a great lower body, you can check out strong curves as well. They have a lifting program, a bodyweight program and a lower body only program. I do the bodyweight work outs every once in a while and can't get up the stairs the day after because my butt hurts ;)

However, if you lose weight it will disappear everywhere (sadly, not at the same rate)
  • Karen_can_do_this
    Karen_can_do_this Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    psych101 wrote: »
    Arms progress - day one of stronglifts, compared to almost one year later!!

ntgmqjij2s3f.jpeg

And I have no idea if I've put this one in here but stomach from day one of NROLFW which I completed then one year of stronglifts

g049n6mxk62b.jpeg

And baby abs slowly emerging in my profile pic

I'm a huge advocate for women lifting. It will make you bulky....but in all the right places lol

Rit reow!!!!! Looking great!!!!
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!